HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Lifelong Graf users - Question

Old
08-29-2012, 09:47 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Lifelong Graf users - Question

I have used Grafs for 12 years now, I tried a pair of Eastons in like 02 but never liked them. I have had my current pair of 705's since 2006. The boot is still in great shape, i have replaced the cobra and had several eyelets reattached.

Any way my question is has anyone bought a pair in the last couple years where they have the newer material on the inside? Mine are still the hyde type that get crusty when dry. the new ones look like they are more durable and less slimey on the inside. I sat and stared at a pair last night while i waited for mine to be sharpened and I all i could think about was the no slime, dryer more comfortable skate. If I didnt have to justify it with my wife i would be wearing them tomorrow LOL. Is there a significant difference that will be worth me explaining to my wife why i NEED them?

Last edited by Cowbell232: 11-20-2012 at 06:48 PM.
CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 10:00 AM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
I have used Grafs for 12 years now, I tried a pair of Eastons in like 02 but never liked them. I have had my current pair of 705's since 2006. The boot is still in great shape, i have replaced the cobra and had several eyelets reattached.

Any way my question is has anyone bought a pair in the last couple years where they have the newer material on the inside? Mine are still the hyde type that get crusty when dry. the new ones look like they are more durable and less slimey on the inside. I sat and stared at a pair last night while i waited for mine to be sharpened and I all i could think about was the no slime, dryer more comfortable skate. If I didnt have to justify it with my wife i would be wearing them tomorrow LOL. Is there a significant difference that will be worth me explaining to my wife why i NEED them?
are you talking about the newest amc composite lining or the older airnet lining. can't speak about the durability of the amc, but imho, it's light-years better than the airnet. i have the pre-x series g35's and although they fit great, i absolutely hate the airnet. think the amc is a step in the right direction depending on durability.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 10:54 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

i dont even have the airnet, i still have the old school slimey leathery type inside the boot

Old
08-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Stickmata

vCash: 500
I have a pair of 703's that I've worn for about 2-3 years and a 1 year old pair of 705's. About 2 years ago, I picked up a leftover pair of 704's that had the leather interior and, while they felt comfy dry, they definately didn't breathe/wick moisture as well as the new skates. That said, when I come off the ice, my 705's are still a bit sweaty.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I have G35's with the air-net (I believe) and absolutely love it. I wear socks FWIW. But the liner is a bit thicker than most and has some cushion, so it seems to hold my feet in place better.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 11:49 AM
DJH

I have the air-knit liner in 735's that I had for 4-5 years. They are in great shape overall with some wearing of the liner around the edges. I also like the liner and also wear socks and generally have had no problem keeping the skates dry and smelling nice (as long as I put them to dry in front of a fan as soon as I get home).

I have a pair of G35's I picked up new on sale and i have used the G35 exclusively the last year and a bit. The G35's are pre-2010 and have held up well to wear and tear and have the same air-knit liner and once again no problems.

I'm 5'10'' at 195 and have been playing 2-3 times a week for the past 5+ years with one 8 month period of playing 4-5 days a week with a Saturday morning, Sunday afternoon and a Mon & Tue night skate) so it should give you a good idea of what the liners can do.

DJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 01:18 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Awesome, so i will start talking to my wife about my new skates tonight.

Old
08-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Oh yeah my skates are 2.5 years old and I have a little bit of wear right on the edges. I also had a few eyelets pop out but my LHS replaced them for free.

I personally think Grafs are more of an investment in a longer-lasting piece of gear rather than a more consumable skate that might only last 2-3 years (or shorter if you play a LOT).

But that's my two cents.

Also, be sure to check the radius and pitch compared to your old skates. I had them put back to neutral as they come fairly aggressive on the toes and down to 9' radius (like Bauer) from 11'. That completely screwed up my agility on ice until it was fixed.

Old
08-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

I've got a pair of G75's. Great fit, molds like a glove to your ankle.

Only had them a few months but so far so good, no problem what so ever.

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 04:50 PM
AmazedRink
Nifty Mittens,ATTACK

This talking about wife for skate permission thing makes me feel uneasy about proposing to my girl for the long term ramifications

AmazedRink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 05:03 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazedRink View Post
This talking about wife for skate permission thing makes me feel uneasy about proposing to my girl for the long term ramifications
all depends on the woman

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 05:08 PM
AmazedRink
Nifty Mittens,ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
all depends on the woman
mine's the love of my life but she considers hockey as her enemy

AmazedRink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:49 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

lol me and my wife have a deal that we consult each other before we buy anything over $350 so its part of our deal. now if i could get one skate at a time.............................

Old
08-31-2012, 12:50 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

also a few weeks ago i had to explain to her that i have to buy a new driver because mine broke. i left out the part where it broke from me smashing a ball baseball style

Old
09-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Guffaw

I have 11' G3's. No problems socks or no socks so whatever liner they have is fine with me.

G3 in a 10N. Only skate that has never once hurt my feet. Not a blister, sore spot, nothing. That's from the first skate on after baking.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 08:11 PM
factsarefacts

couple guys i play with switched to the nexus 1000. i havent tried them and i'm not a fan of the graf type fit but they seem to like them. one other guy decided to stay with grafs. something about the bauer skates rubbing in a certain spot.

factsarefacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 08:24 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
I have (had) a friend whose wife was like that. Tedious.

Luckily, my wife is very supportive of hockey. I definitely think couples should run big expenses by each other but she's usually on the side of, "Just replace your equipment."

Of course, she just asked to replace our Dyson vacuum. $$$$

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Anything to keep her doing the cleaning

Old
09-13-2012, 08:27 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
I have (had) a friend whose wife was like that. Tedious.

Luckily, my wife is very supportive of hockey. I definitely think couples should run big expenses by each other but she's usually on the side of, "Just replace your equipment."

Of course, she just asked to replace our Dyson vacuum. $$$$
i have used the "I guess i dont need a new helmet, worst case scenario is i keep using my old worn one and get severly concussed and die"

I got a new 11K

Old
09-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
i have used the "I guess i dont need a new helmet, worst case scenario is i keep using my old worn one and get severly concussed and die"
I think that's my wife's internal thought process: Replace all your ****** equipment with good stuff so you don't die playing hockey.

Quality shoulder pads are now on the list after a second impact right to the sternum. Ouch

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 08:31 PM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Oh yeah my skates are 2.5 years old and I have a little bit of wear right on the edges. I also had a few eyelets pop out but my LHS replaced them for free.

I personally think Grafs are more of an investment in a longer-lasting piece of gear rather than a more consumable skate that might only last 2-3 years (or shorter if you play a LOT).

But that's my two cents.

Also, be sure to check the radius and pitch compared to your old skates. I had them put back to neutral as they come fairly aggressive on the toes and down to 9' radius (like Bauer) from 11'. That completely screwed up my agility on ice until it was fixed.
Are you still considering getting a different kind of skate?

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 04:15 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

UPDATE - I just purchased the G65's, The first game they were a little stiff and took some getting used to, my feet hurt after. used for the 2nd time last night and they are awesome. love them, its funny because the g65 wet is still lighter than my old 705's were wet.

Old
11-20-2012, 06:00 PM
RandV
It's a wolf

Quote:
Kind of an older conversation, but my sweetie doesn't know a thing about hockey but has the attitude that if I've already paid for the ice time I'd better have a damn good reason to miss a game . Not that I would easily miss a game, you'd pretty much have to hospitalize me to get me to sit out. Leading teams in GP is my specialty, and I'm currently on a pretty good iron man streak. Last time I missed a game I think was spring of 2011, for my sisters wedding.

As far as Graf's go I picked up a pair when I started out 5 years ago and they're still working great for me.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayman View Post
Are you still considering getting a different kind of skate?
Old post but not really, I'm beyond broke. I will keep using these until either I get rich and can afford new skates or they completely fall apart. At this rate it will probably be 3+ years as they are still fairly stiff.

One thing I've struggled with is getting proper tight lacing without lace bit as I feel like they are a bit shallow for my foot. Been playing with different lacing and some help and some hurt.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:27 PM
opivy
Sauce King

vCash: 966
Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
Did you try a pad Jarick? I have a few friends who get nasty bite from Vapors and the gel pads helped out a lot.

I wear S17's and have never had a complaint, they're holding up well after two seasons but I think after the 4th I'll swap them out for something new.

Every time I go to buy skates I have a slightly different "best" fitting boot. I always make sure to try everything on just in case.

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote