HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

New format next year

Old
12-12-2012, 01:37 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
New format next year

Next year, instead of the top 3 teams of each division advancing to the playoffs, with a bye for division winners, there will be the top 4 teams in each division advancing to quarter finals, with the two bottom teams having a best of 3 for avoiding relegation.

So if this was used last year it would probably look like this (not 100% sure about how playoff seeds would work, but can guess based off of WC)

QF1: Sweden-Switzerland
QF2: Finland-Czech Republic
QF3: Canada-US
QF4: Russia-Slovakia

Personally, I like this format. 8 teams in the playoffs means that all the big 7 teams make the playoffs. It also give the 2nd tier countries a playoff spot to fight over. More playoff games also means more chance of upsets. The only thing I would consider changing is maybe expanding to 12 or 14 teams.

Last edited by saskriders: 12-12-2012 at 01:42 AM.
saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:41 AM
um

vCash: 500
i would like this, i hate teams automatically advancing to the semi's

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:53 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Next year, instead of the top 3 teams of each division advancing to the playoffs, with a bye for division winners, there will be the top 4 teams in each division advancing to quarter finals, with the two bottom teams having a best of 3 for avoiding relegation.

So if this was used last year it would probably look like this (not 100% sure about how playoff seeds would work, but can guess based off of WC)

Personally, I like this format. 8 teams in the playoffs means that all the big 7 teams make the playoffs. It also give the 2nd tier countries a playoff spot to fight over. More playoff games also means more chance of upsets. The only thing I would consider changing is maybe expanding to 12 or 14 teams.
I also like this format. I'm not sure about expanding though, some games get ugly enough as it is.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:11 AM
Ryker

Quote:

Just to make sure, you're stating this is going to be in place next year, not just proposing, right?

Quote:
I think 14 teams would definitely be too much, and it would just split the elite division into two groups, and there would just be more blowout games. It would give teams a chance to play better teams, but personally I don't think a tournament alone and getting that experience will improve the respective countries' programs and competitiveness to warrant an expansion. 12 might be good, though, especially with Germany, Norway, Denmark and Belarus probably being quite close to one another in terms of strength. You'd also get a chance to relegate two teams so as to get more turnover.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:25 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Just to make sure, you're stating this is going to be in place next year, not just proposing, right?

I think 14 teams would definitely be too much, and it would just split the elite division into two groups, and there would just be more blowout games. It would give teams a chance to play better teams, but personally I don't think a tournament alone and getting that experience will improve the respective countries' programs and competitiveness to warrant an expansion. 12 might be good, though, especially with Germany, Norway, Denmark and Belarus probably being quite close to one another in terms of strength. You'd also get a chance to relegate two teams so as to get more turnover.
Wikipedia links the IIHF

I'd group Latvia in with those teams. I didn't think of this, but it wouldn't only give the second tier (or "small 5" as I like to call them) teams a playoff spot to fight for, but also to fight against relegation.

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:23 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

I'd like this as well. Would really open up the competition for the playoffs.

12-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Smif

Love this! I hate it when my team gets the bye, they lose momentum and it's one less game to watch.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

I like this, a lot! I really don't like many of the IIHF rules and formats, this would be great to see implemented.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:48 AM
tourlord*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
I hate it when my team gets the bye, they lose momentum and it's one less game to watch.
That and the fact that your team ends up losing the next game because they took that one game off.

tourlord* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Muuri

This smells like Kummola's work.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Nash

With 3 head to head relegation games, we could see a tournament scoring leader from one of these teams.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
This smells like Kummola's work.
I distinctly remember this being told by himself already a year ago. There might have been a thread about it even.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Lessy

I'm obviously in the minority but I'm not a huge fan of this. 6 teams in the playoffs is enough in a tournament like this where there is a fairly wide talent gap. I think a 6-team playoff is just right and also places an importance on how you perform in the round robin. The undefeated round robin gets you the bye and you get to play a team that played the day before in the QF's. Now it won't be a big deal if a perennial powerhouse like a Canada loses a game in the round robin because they'll get, in all likelihood, to play a Switzerland/Slovakia in the QF's which is typically a pretty easy W in this tournament.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote