HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 06:25 AM
boredmale

vCash: 500
Speaking of longshots on defense what are the chances Pelech makes it? He seems to be one of those guys who constantly plays for Team Canada in many series and is a good defensive defenseman. My guess is it's a longshot unless Harrington gets injured.

Inronically from an Islanders fan POV he will most likely be fighting it out for a spot with Reinhart, so if he makes it it probably will be bad news/good news

Old
12-07-2012, 06:53 AM
AVSFAN92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
If Mackinnon makes the team, it won't be as a 2nd line centre but a 2nd line winger.

He doesn't fit the bottom 6 mould, and RNH + Strome are the better centres in the top 6.
There should NOT be a Top 6 / Bottom 6. Their should be a Top 9!!!! (Everyone needs to jump off of that bandwagon.) And a crash and bang line. If(the top 9 is skilled enough) which they are, they could easily kill penaltys and play against other top lines. Power against power is always good, especially for the team with the better players. You are basically picking an all-star team. Pick the best players for the top now, no matter what the age is and then the best line of pests/hitters who can skate.

If would be nice to roll 3 lines instead of 2 while occaisonally playing the 3rd/4th.. Roll 3 and then throw the 4th out to keep momentum or to change the tide back...

Old
12-07-2012, 09:09 AM
wings5

Looks like the players who might have left for the NHL if the season starts might be here to stay, no agreement seems eminent.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=411086

Old
12-07-2012, 09:44 AM
irunthepeg
Mark ScheifELITE

vCash: 69
I know in the long term, I might eventually regret feeling this way but I am psyched right now. Super pumped that the lockout may last past Christmas.

I know come playoff time I will be missing hockey immensely...

And I agree with this top 9 philosophy with an energy line, especially if we do get the lockout talent.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:54 AM
clarkebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSFAN92 View Post
There should NOT be a Top 6 / Bottom 6. Their should be a Top 9!!!! (Everyone needs to jump off of that bandwagon.) And a crash and bang line. If(the top 9 is skilled enough) which they are, they could easily kill penaltys and play against other top lines. Power against power is always good, especially for the team with the better players. You are basically picking an all-star team. Pick the best players for the top now, no matter what the age is and then the best line of pests/hitters who can skate.

If would be nice to roll 3 lines instead of 2 while occaisonally playing the 3rd/4th.. Roll 3 and then throw the 4th out to keep momentum or to change the tide back...
i have stated the same. This is the year( especially a lock out year) when we roll out the top 9. All this talk about mackinnon can't make the top 6 and therefore he is the 13th forward is pure garbage.
Have a grinding line if you will but go after the opposition.It worked in the past. Follow the same blueprint.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Worraps

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordUp View Post
I know in the long term, I might eventually regret feeling this way but I am psyched right now. Super pumped that the lockout may last past Christmas.

I know come playoff time I will be missing hockey immensely...

And I agree with this top 9 philosophy with an energy line, especially if we do get the lockout talent.
For the time being, it's a pretty nice silver lining.

Old
12-07-2012, 05:18 PM
Paralyzer008

Hockey Canada has announced that Colton Sissions will not attend camp due to injury. Just a heads up.

Old
12-07-2012, 05:31 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Hockey Canada has announced that Colton Sissions will not attend camp due to injury. Just a heads up.
Any additional invites?

Old
12-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Any additional invites?
Per Bob McKenzie, there will be no additional invites because of the injury.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:34 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Per Bob McKenzie, there will be no additional invites because of the injury.
Guys...any update on Xavier Ouellet ?? he was supposed to start skating this week ?? any ideas if he has or not??

Old
12-07-2012, 06:42 PM
TootooTrain
Southern Hospitality

Quote:
What's the injury? Any time-table given?

Old
12-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
What's the injury? Any time-table given?
"Upper body". I'm not aware of any timetable.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Snippit

I'm also against the Top 6, Bottom 6 mentality. It leaves less room for the players with talent.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Snippit

Kind of off-topic, but is there a place where I can watch Sportsnet Ontario for free?

Old
12-07-2012, 09:12 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Speaking of longshots on defense what are the chances Pelech makes it? He seems to be one of those guys who constantly plays for Team Canada in many series and is a good defensive defenseman. My guess is it's a longshot unless Harrington gets injured.

Inronically from an Islanders fan POV he will most likely be fighting it out for a spot with Reinhart, so if he makes it it probably will be bad news/good news
You never know. I think that anyone has a chance outside of the 3 locks in my mind. Rielly, Hamilton, Harrington are the 3 locks.

Pelech is a guy that just gets the job done. Isn't going to kill you with speed and unfortunately for him, it might be needed on the bigger ice surface.

I think you got it right though that he's a longshot and would be down if anything happened to Reinhart.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:15 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
I'm also against the Top 6, Bottom 6 mentality. It leaves less room for the players with talent.
I don't think this really applies to junior hockey as much as it does to the CHL or other Junior Leagues.

Most of the guys that will get invited will play on the penalty kill and powerplay. For example, Strome plays just as much time on the PK as he would on the powerplay (relatively speaking cause of length of PK shift).

I think for the most part you are going to have 1 line of guys that will handle any defence with ease. Like a line of Ritchie, Tom Wilson and Shinkaruk would all be able to put the puck in the net, but at the same time would be able to control play in the offensive zone.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:17 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Who's the frontline for the backup job ?

Old
12-07-2012, 11:49 PM
HighLifeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Who's the frontline for the backup job ?
I would have to say Binnington. Brossoit has struggled early this year and as a result has probably lost the inside track for the position. With that said, it will come down to has a better camp.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:03 AM
OttawaOilers
Formerly JCF

Yeah, Brossy had a solid last month but has been questionable this month. I hope he atleast makes it. He is a top tier goalie!

Old
12-08-2012, 03:42 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Love how not a single person has Corrado in the lineup yet a lot have Ouelette and Sproul. Corrado is better defensively than those two and is grittier with more mobilility and has experience playing in Russia on the big ice. Not to mention better leadership and character. He makes the team. Watch.
I'll take hands down Ouellet before Corrado, in any situation of the game.
Quote:
I've never seen Corrado play, but isn't he a team worst -10 in Sudbury? Also his stats don't seem that impressive, but you don't judge a player entirely on his stats. Ouellet has much better stats in Boisbriand, but he also plays on a powerhouse team..

What really makes Corrado better than Ouellet if you don't mind me asking? From what i've seen of Ouellet, he's a pretty solid d-men and was a first team all star last year in the "Q". All this grit, character and leadership you're mentionning is a matter of opinion.
Ouellet is a huge part of that team. Without him they've been losing a few games in a row.

Old
12-08-2012, 04:16 AM
Eye of Ra
Mr.Negativo

why not top 12? 4 skilled lines...

Old
12-08-2012, 08:39 AM
tourlord*

Rielly - Hamilton
Harrington - Ouellette
Reinhart - Pelech
Murphy

Because Dumba stunk in the SuperSeries and hasn't done much this year in Red Deer, I've got Pelech taking his spot. And since Murphy gives the puck away every other rush I have him as being the last d-man to make the team. At least this way Murphy has Pelech or Reinhart to bail him out when he turns the puck over assuming he'd be paired with one of the two.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:51 AM
tourlord*

This is my final team.

Huberdeau - RNH - Rattie
Mackinnon - Strome - Scheifele
Shinkaruk - Jenner - Graovac
Wilson - Danault - Ritchie
Catenacci

Rielly - Hamilton
Harrington - Ouellette
Reinhart - Pelech
Murphy

Subban
Binnington
Broissoit

Old
12-08-2012, 08:53 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
I don't know why Oullette and Corrado are being compared. Oullette is a lock and they play opposite sides anyways. Corrado is competing with Sproul and Dumba for the final RD pairing, unless they decide to play a D out of his natural position. I don't know why people think it is so easy to transition from playing one side of the rink to the other.
No they don't Ouellet can play both sides with much ease. He's a lefty, but he's comfortable with either.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:59 AM
tourlord*

I ment to put Corrado as my last RD man not Pelech

Closed Thread