HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 Canada 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Pyromaniac3

vCash: 500
http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/

Quote:
Imagine this scenario.

Team Canada plays its first game at the world junior championships in Ufa, Russia on Boxing Day, presumably registering a victory against Germany.

Then the next day six or more of the team's best players are summoned back to North America to participate in 10-day NHL training camps prior to the commencement of the 2012-13 season, leaving Canada will only a shell of a roster.

It would be national disgrace, and would all but kill Canada's chance of even getting a medal at a tournament it has dominated.

Right now, however, it could happen.

----

Of that group, only Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke was willing to say that if Rielly accompanies the team to Finland for pre-tournament training, the Leafs would not then pull him back if the lockout ends.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:43 AM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourlord View Post
This is my final team.

Huberdeau - RNH - Rattie
Mackinnon - Strome - Scheifele
ShinkarukMonahan - Jenner - Graovac
Wilson - Danault - Ritchie
Catenacci

Rielly - Hamilton
Harrington - Ouellette
Reinhart - Pelech
Murphy

Subban
Binnington
Broissoit
One Change...You forgot Monahan...i dont know much about Catenacci except he is very fast???I like your D

Old
12-08-2012, 09:54 AM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post

No way will players be called back once they are on that plane....That is just silly...If i were team canada, i would name the team on Tuesday an fly on wednesday....

Old
12-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Players won't be called back during the tournament. That'd just be ludicrous and why wouldn't they let the players get their "training" in then and then come back in game mode?

Old
12-08-2012, 10:46 AM
KawaYui

Go canada go

Old
12-08-2012, 11:20 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I can't see them all being called back mid tournament.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:22 AM
BondraTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Players won't be called back during the tournament. That'd just be ludicrous and why wouldn't they let the players get their "training" in then and then come back in game mode?
Because they would be fighting for jobs with other guys at the training camp

Old
12-08-2012, 11:39 AM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
Because they would be fighting for jobs with other guys at the training camp
From TSN:

The league has cancelled games through Dec. 14. It's expected that the remainder of December's games will be taken off the schedule, possibly on Monday.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Atomos2
Auston 20:16

vCash: 543
With Rielly, Hamilton, RNH and Huberdeau is such an incredibly dangerous top line. All we need is a solid finisher like Rattie or Schiefle and you have the most dangerous top line in the tournament. Speed, playmaking, creativity...offfensively they have it all.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:21 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
From TSN:

The league has cancelled games through Dec. 14. It's expected that the remainder of December's games will be taken off the schedule, possibly on Monday.
The NHL will do this purely for the WJC.

It would be an embarrassment, and would ruin their relationship with the IIHF if halfway through the tournament each team is losing players because their NHL teams demand that they come home. It wouldn't just be Canada, Yakupov and Grigorenko for Russia, Miller maybe Trouba form the US. It would be a disaster all around.

Best to make it a non-negotiable deal by cancelling games up until the end of the tourney.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post

It would be an embarrassment, and would ruin their relationship with the IIHF if halfway through the tournament each team is losing players because their NHL teams demand that they come home. It wouldn't just be Canada, Yakupov and Grigorenko for Russia, Miller maybe Trouba form the US. It would be a disaster all around.

Best to make it a non-negotiable deal by cancelling games up until the end of the tourney.
I don't think the NHL cares at all about the IIHF. They have been threatening to pull out of the Olympics for years. And as a fan witnessing a third Bettman lockout, they don't care about us either, but that's a whole other topic.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Lukas

2 roster options

option 1 is what I think Team Canada will actually go with.
G) Malcom Subban
Jordan Binnington
Laurent Brossoit
D) Dougie Hamilton - Morgan Rielly
Xavier Ouellet - Scott Harrington
Griffen Reinhart - Ryan Murphy
Matt Dumba
F) Ty Rattie - RNH - Jonathan Huberdeau
Nathan MacKinnon - Ryan Strome - Brett Ritchie
Mark McNeill - Boone Jenner - Mark Scheifele
Francis Beauviller - Phillip Danault - Charles Hudon
Tom Wilson
I think Dumba makes it becaue they like guys who have played for Canada in past teams as a leader, even if he has struggled this year. Canada traditionally takes top 6 and bottom 6 and I think that will continue. Hudon has shown he is responsible in a checking role but can easily move up if their is an injury or someone is struggling. I dont think Wilson fits as well on the big Ice surface but Canada brass likely thinks different, and his big hits can set or change the tone of a game. There is always a suprise pick and I believe it will be Beauviller. They like his 2-way abaility and PK ability.

What I would do
G) Malcolm Subban
Laurent Brossoit
Jordan Binnington
D) Dougie hamilton - Morgan Rielly
Ryan Sproul
F) Ty Rattie - RNH - Mark Scheifele
Jonathan Drouin - Nathan MacKinnon - Jonathan Huberdeau
Sean Monohan - Ryan Strome - Brett Ritchie
Phillip Danault - Boone Jenner - Charles Hudon
Daniel Catenacci
minor difference in goal but I think Subban is #1 and depending on who does better at camp will get the backup job between the 2, either way I am cool with. Personally I believe Sproul has earned his spot on this team and has been been better than Dumba, I would take the hot hand. So where the big change comes is on OFFENSE. I think on the big ice we need speed and scoring and I would have 3 lines that can do that. We struggled the las couple tournys and it is time to change that. I dont think you can go wrong with that as your first line. Mackinnon showed a connection with Huberdeau and Drouin and Mackinnon are so solid together you really cant split that up. Likewise with the connection between Ritchie and Strome this season should not be broken up. I had a tough time picking Monohan over a few others but in the end he is just to good not to have here. finally my last line is considerded the chhecking line I think Catenacci as the 13th has the intangibles to jump in wherever they need him.

I was upset Puempel didn't get an Invite, he would be perfect with Ritchie and Strome.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Lukas: 12-08-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: didn't look right
Old
12-08-2012, 12:33 PM
DyerMaker66*

vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post

I wish the NHL would let prospects leave for the tournament even if they were playing games: WJHC > Regular season NHL

Old
12-08-2012, 01:07 PM
DyerMaker66*

vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas View Post
option 1 is what I think Team Canada will actually go with.
G) Malcom Subban
Jordan Binnington
Laurent Brossoit
D) Dougie Hamilton - Morgan Rielly
Matt Dumba
F) Ty Rattie - RNH - Jonathan Huberdeau
Nathan MacKinnon - Ryan Strome - Brett Ritchie
Mark McNeill - Boone Jenner - Mark Scheifele
Francis Beauviller - Phillip Danault - Charles Hudon
Tom Wilson
I think Dumba makes it becaue they like guys who have played for Canada in past teams as a leader, even if he has struggled this year. Canada traditionally takes top 6 and bottom 6 and I think that will continue. Hudon has shown he is responsible in a checking role but can easily move up if their is an injury or someone is struggling. I dont think Wilson fits as well on the big Ice surface but Canada brass likely thinks different, and his big hits can set or change the tone of a game. There is always a suprise pick and I believe it will be Beauviller. They like his 2-way abaility and PK ability.

What I would do
G) Malcolm Subban
Laurent Brossoit
Jordan Binnington
D) Dougie hamilton - Morgan Rielly
Ryan Sproul
F) Ty Rattie - RNH - Mark Scheifele
Jonathan Drouin - Nathan MacKinnon - Jonathan Huberdeau
Sean Monohan - Ryan Strome - Brett Ritchie
Phillip Danault - Boone Jenner - Charles Hudon
Daniel Catenacci
minor difference in goal but I think Subban is #1 and depending on who does better at camp will get the backup job between the 2, either way I am cool with. Personally I believe Sproul has earned his spot on this team and has been been better than Dumba, I would take the hot hand. So where the big change comes is on OFFENSE. I think on the big ice we need speed and scoring and I would have 3 lines that can do that. We struggled the las couple tournys and it is time to change that. I dont think you can go wrong with that as your first line. Mackinnon showed a connection with Huberdeau and Drouin and Mackinnon are so solid together you really cant split that up. Likewise with the connection between Ritchie and Strome this season should not be broken up. I had a tough time picking Monohan over a few others but in the end he is just to good not to have here. finally my last line is considerded the chhecking line I think Catenacci as the 13th has the intangibles to jump in wherever they need him.

I was upset Puempel didn't get an Invite, he would be perfect with Ritchie and Strome.

Thoughts?
Agreed: Puempel is a beast and should've been there (though he is injured). Agreed that Subban should start, too.

Doesn't it make more sense to have Huberdeau at Centre and Mackinnon on the right side, rather than having two left-handed wingers?

Old
12-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Snippit

If the team is already in Russia, can some players get called back to NA to try out for their respective camps?

Old
12-08-2012, 02:28 PM
wings5

Can some one please explain to me why Jake Paterson of Saginaw was invited and not Chris Dreidger? Some one please clue me in because I have no idea what was the thought there....

Old
12-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Lehner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Can some one please explain to me why Jake Paterson of Saginaw was invited and not Chris Dreidger? Some one please clue me in because I have no idea what was the thought there....
I'd like to know as well.

Old
12-08-2012, 02:41 PM
tourlord*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
One Change...You forgot Monahan...i dont know much about Catenacci except he is very fast???I like your D
Yeah I did leave him out by mistake. Put Monahan on the LW and take off Shinkaruk but Shinkaruk is a pure goal scorer. It's going to be tough on the coaches to select this team.

Old
12-08-2012, 02:43 PM
JetsHomer

Also no way scheifele plays third line rw. He's top line rw or second line center. It'll depend on who they'd rather play wing, Strome or Scheifele

Old
12-08-2012, 02:54 PM
kes81sel
Go MacT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourlord View Post
This is my final team.

Huberdeau - RNH - Rattie
Mackinnon - Strome - Scheifele
Shinkaruk - Jenner - Graovac
Wilson - Danault - Ritchie
Catenacci

Rielly - Hamilton
Harrington - Ouellette
Reinhart - Pelech
Murphy

Subban
Binnington
Broissoit

Me like alot

Old
12-08-2012, 03:02 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
I don't think the NHL cares at all about the IIHF. They have been threatening to pull out of the Olympics for years. And as a fan witnessing a third Bettman lockout, they don't care about us either, but that's a whole other topic.
Exactly my thoughts

Old
12-08-2012, 04:13 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan*
Leaving/Goodbye All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
It's funny cause it's true.

Old
12-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Nullus Reverentia

There's one reason why no team will pull their players back. That plane trip is brutal, the players will be angry, they'll be tired, they won't have an effective training camp.

After these players get on the plane, there's no chance they're coming back untill the end of the tournement.

Old
12-08-2012, 04:17 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan*
Leaving/Goodbye All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
There's one reason why no team will pull their players back. That plane trip is brutal, the players will be angry, they'll be tired, they won't have an effective training camp.

After these players get on the plane, there's no chance they're coming back untill the end of the tournement.
This sounds right. There would be no upside to calling the players back mid-tournament.

Old
12-08-2012, 04:20 PM
McDNicks17
Save us, Connor.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
In the last half of last season and the play-offs, Paterson was carrying Saginaw. He was stealing games for a pretty weak team.

His stats obviously don't look as good as Driedger's, but the kid is a really solid goalie.

Stylistically he might do better on the big ice too. Big guy who challenges shooters with solid angles and insanely good lateral movement vs. a big, economical blocking type of goalie.

Closed Thread