HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

CBA Thread, Daniel Bryan Edition: The lockout is (tentatively) over!

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I wish Kelly had stayed on, because he was massaging egos. You catch more flys with honey, right? I get the worries about Kelly being in cahoots with the owners after the Eagleson reign of terror, but... I dunno, I think Lindros went about it the wrong way.

However, like I said before, the league has to deal with Fehr. It is reality. Just make the damn deal and get rid of him, before something really stupid happens...
That Lindros was involved in the Kelly thing pretty much tells me it was handled the wrong way. If there was a way for him to **** up a business relationship or management of some element of his career or related, he found a way. Did he bring his Dad into player meetings too?

Old
12-11-2012, 07:09 PM
Sivek

Hartnell had some laughable comments concerning Hamrlik.

“I can’t wait to see what his teammates do when guys go after him,”

“To sell the PA under the bus and to stick up for a guy like that is going to be hard. I think [Troy] Brouwer said it best in his comments.”

What a ******.

Last edited by Sivek: 12-11-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old
12-11-2012, 10:26 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMoranFanclub View Post
The fact that you're referencing Puck Daddy is probably not going to score you any points around here. Those idiots are ridiculously slanted towards the union.

And if the owners hadn't signed all those big money contracts, there would be cries of collusion from the players, particularly with regards to UFA contracts like Parise and Suter. And how pissed off do you think Crosby would be if the Pens had intentionally waited until after the lockout to extend him, knowing full well they wouldn't be able to offer very favorable terms under the new CBA. If anything, the fact that all these big money contracts were signed before the expiration of the old CBA should be seen as good faith gestures made by the owners. Especially considering how the owners have been bending over backwards trying to find ways to fully honor all these pre-existing contracts.
What's funny is that a couple years ago, while talking with Tom McMillan of the Pens, I asked him some of his favored media outlets. He immediately said the Puck Daddy blog was one of his favorites, especially for its skill at quickly giving a rundown of issues with every team on a daily basis. Granted, his new background might give him a different perspective than others who are in NHL management and this was prelockout, but he still named it and TSN as his two favorite sources for hockey news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
I have seen this mentioned way too often. The owners are not just one entity, they're a collection of franchises, some doing better than others. In the past CBA there were non intended loopholes that allowed big market owners to throw a lot of money at players in a manner that the smaller market owners couldnt keep up with. The problem is because that was happening it became the market rate and what players expected. Therefore for all teams, even the small market teams to compete and re-sign their star franchise players they had to play by this system. The owners couldnt collude amongst themselves and keep salaries low, that would be something that the NHLPA would rightfully complain about and win. So what exactly are you upset with them about? Do you expect the big market teams who can afford it to not re-sign their star players in a manner that assures they stay with their team? Do you expect their GM to purposely tie his hands behind his back in free agency and not use all the tools at his disposal to get the player he wants? A rational person would say that they expect the owners to utilize all the tools available within the confines of the CBA to help their club win. That is the problem, the CBA allowed these clubs to set the market too high for the smaller markets to keep up in, that is the whole point of this lockout. The NHL see's the problem that you're complaining about and they're trying to fix it by structuring a new CBA which prevents it or at least does it's best to cut back on it. I am sure there will be new ways to exploit the new CBA but it certainly will be better than what exists now.

So maybe ask yourself as to why you get mad at the owners for trying to fix the problem from the last CBA but not the players who are fighting tooth and nail to perpetuate that system that is clearly broken?
I don't have to ask myself. I know the answer: I value the sanctity of a contract. I understand that others don't and have some legitimate reasons for taking that position, but for me, your word is bond and signed contracts are sacrosanct. It's old fashioned, I know, but I don't care.

Last edited by mrzeigler: 12-11-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old
12-12-2012, 12:02 AM
invictus

Do we have a season drop-dead date? Or is that all still speculation at this point?

Old
12-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzeigler View Post
What's funny is that a couple years ago, while talking with Tom McMillan of the Pens, I asked him some of his favored media outlets. He immediately said the Puck Daddy blog was one of his favorites, especially for its skill at quickly giving a rundown of issues with every team on a daily basis. Granted, his new background might give him a different perspective than others who are in NHL management and this was prelockout, but he still named it and TSN as his two favorite sources for hockey news.

I don't have to ask myself. I know the answer: I value the sanctity of a contract. I understand that others don't and have some legitimate reasons for taking that position, but for me, your word is bond and signed contracts are sacrosanct. It's old fashioned, I know, but I don't care.
I can certainly see the position of expecting the NHL to honor the existing contracts they signed, that is perfectly reasonable. I just assumed you were blaming them for signing those contracts to begin with as I explained it was how the market was structured using the CBA. It was out of their hand unless they colluded with each other and that isnt allowed. It's the one issue I really feel the owners are not in the right about, I am with you in that they should honor their commitments in that regard.

My ideal scenario is they fix the CBA mess to make sure crap like that doesnt happen again, they honor existing contracts in full and only adjust them in the books for the new salary cap not the actual amount paid out. That the new length be 10 years or so to ensure that the savings they get from the new CBA is enough to compensate for the expeditures of the existing contracts.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post

“To sell the PA under the bus and to stick up for a guy like that is going to be hard. I think [Troy] Brouwer said it best in his comments.”

What a ******.

Wow. That is pretty pathetic. Any mild amusement I used to feel towards the guy and his fan interactions is out the window there.

Meantime a good article from TSN about Orpik, Neal and other Penguins joining up this week for a large practice / scrimmaging.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?i...e=nhl-penguins

Old
12-12-2012, 09:39 AM
spcastlemagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
I just assumed you were blaming them for signing those contracts to begin with as I explained it was how the market was structured using the CBA. It was out of their hand unless they colluded with each other and that isnt allowed.
How do you resolve that fundamental tension however? The league wants to structure the market to both artificially lower player salaries but also enable each team to compete with one another freely. The owners seem to operate under the assumption that everything can be had cheaply (talent? rig the talent market! arenas? the public will fund it!) and that by suppressing those costs they will achieve the certainty and stability they crave, but by trying to structure an unfree market for talent create incentive structures and problems they can't foresee (i.e. the issue of long term contract liability and franchise sales.)

Old
12-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

6 years at 5.0 = 30m plus 25% variance(2.5) from the max number used in the deal.

(10.0> 7.5> 5.0> 2.5> 2.5> 2.5 = 30) 7.5 difference

Circumvention or not?

I don't think a 7 year will be needed to prove it is.

6 years at 5.0 = 30m plus 15% variance (1.2)from the max number used in the deal.

(8.0> 6.8> 5.6> 4.4> 3.2> 2.0 =30) Clear 6.0 difference

Still back diving

6 years at 5.0 = 30m plus 5% variance(0.3) from the max number used in the deal.

(6.0> 5.7> 5.4> 5.1> 4.8> 4.5 =31.5)

The most it can decrease is around 1.8 and that's not back diving over 6 years.

I'm not gonna do the even denomination to get it work out 100% by getting rid of the 1.5 it's over with the final number, but you can see it's impossible to back dive to the degree anything people are showing here and why the league would not like losing both 1 year and 5% variance together.

They may give that year to take it up to 6, but 5% is there to stay.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
6 years at 5.0 = 30m plus 25% variance(2.5) from the max number used in the deal.

(10.0> 7.5> 5.0> 2.5> 2.5> 2.5 = 30) 7.5 difference

Circumvention or not?

I don't think a 7 year will be needed to prove it is.

6 years at 5.0 = 30m plus 15% variance (1.2)from the max number used in the deal.

(8.0> 6.8> 5.6> 4.4> 3.2> 2.0 =30) Clear 6.0 difference

Still back diving

6 years at 5.0 = 30m plus 5% variance(0.3) from the max number used in the deal.

(6.0> 5.7> 5.4> 5.1> 4.8> 4.5 =31.5)

The most it can decrease is around 1.8 and that's not back diving over 6 years.

I'm not gonna do the even denomination to get it work out 100% by getting rid of the 1.5 it's over with the final number, but you can see it's impossible to back dive to the degree anything people are showing here and why the league would not like losing both 1 year and 5% variance together.

They may give that year to take it up to 6, but 5% is there to stay.
Is that really how the variance was calculated? I took it to mean that the salary in ANY one year in the contract couldn't vary more than x% from the highest year. Not every deal will have the max salary in year 1, so you're example wouldn't really work. Say the deal in the old world looked like:

5, 7.5, 10, 7.5, 5 That's a 7 million cap hit on a 5 year deal. However, the variance from the max in year 1 is 50%, not 25% like in your step down approach. By the logic you used above, this would still be an acceptable deal in the new proposal (assuming the players got the 25% variance). That wouldn't really make any sense. I could be wrong of course.

Based on my assumptions, you're first example would really have to be:

10,7.5, 7.5, 7.5, 7.5

Since the salary in ANY one year can't vary from the max more than 25%. Which to me is a reasonable thing to settle on. I would be fine with that deal any day.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:

What a ******.
Hartnell is nothing but a punk! I hope Hamrlik gets applauded in arenas around the league, would be a nice gesture from us fans

Old
12-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Is that really how the variance was calculated? I took it to mean that the salary in ANY one year in the contract couldn't vary more than x% from the highest year. Not every deal will have the max salary in year 1, so you're example wouldn't really work. Say the deal in the old world looked like:

5, 7.5, 10, 7.5, 5 That's a 7 million cap hit on a 5 year deal. However, the variance from the max in year 1 is 50%, not 25% like in your step down approach. By the logic you used above, this would still be an acceptable deal in the new proposal (assuming the players got the 25% variance). That wouldn't really make any sense. I could be wrong of course.

Based on my assumptions, you're first example would really have to be:

10,7.5, 7.5, 7.5, 7.5

Since the salary in ANY one year can't vary from the max more than 25%. Which to me is a reasonable thing to settle on. I would be fine with that deal any day.
The max number was 10.0 and 25% is 2.5 in the first one that any number in the deal can move from it.

Your>>>10,7.5, 7.5, 7.5, 7.5 = 31 and it's still short a year, all the figures are for 6 year contracts.

I could be wrong also, but I was under the assumption no year can move more than 25% of the largest contract year which is 10.0 and each year couldn't move more than that which is 2.5(= 25% of 10.0) from year to year.

Old
12-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
The max number was 10.0 and 25% is 2.5 in the first one that any number in the deal can move from it.

Your>>>10,7.5, 7.5, 7.5, 7.5 = 31 and it's still short a year, all the figures are for 6 year contracts.

I could be wrong also, but I was under the assumption no year can move more than 25% of the largest contract year which is 10.0 and each year couldn't move more than that which is 2.5(= 25% of 10.0) from year to year.
I wasn't talking about contract lengths just referring to the variance rule but I researched it some more and it turns out you were right. The owner's are proposing a 5% cap on year to year variance (presumably from the top value). So your last example illustrated their opinion. Also the player's are saying the lowest year must be 25% of the highest year so if 10mil is the highest, then 2.5 has to be the lowest (again your illustration works). I agree that is absolutely circumventing the cap and is a deal breaker.

Sorry for the confusion. I misread what you posted (I thought you calculated 25% as 2.5 to be the variance of the step down from year to year). I guess I just went into things thinking this is what make sense to me so I interpreted the owners' proposal that way.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Do we have a season drop-dead date? Or is that all still speculation at this point?
Not that I know of. That said common sense says you would have to have at least 30 games to make a season. That would take you to around the second week of february. Half the season will be over for most teams by the second week of January. So losing the entire season is closer than you think. I doubt that either said has an absolute drop dead date for calling the season, but like I said you can speculate that logically it would have to be around there for the season to not seem pointless.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Flat Stanley

Josh Yohe thinks there could be an NHL season soon.
Quote:
Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib
All signs point toward NHL season starting soon http://sulia.com/channel/hockey/f/a4...-26c1f93820d5/
Quote:
In the past couple of days, I've spoken with multiple NHL players, multiple agents and a number of other people very close to the NHL/NHLPA dispute.
Looking for good news? Here ya go.
Not one person - and I mean NOT ONE - thinks the NHL season is going to be cancelled. Everyone I've spoken with expects a deal by Christmas.
Is this hopeful optimism and nothing more on their part? Anything is possible, but I didn't take it that way.

Old
12-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Media guys can say what they want to, I don't have any faith whatsoever for a season anymore. I'm just going to go about things with that mentality now, and if a season happens, cool. If not, I won't have to deal with one of the NHL's trademark crushing let-downs to their fans.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
And none of them thought it was going to take this long either.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:11 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
Media guys can say what they want to, I don't have any faith whatsoever for a season anymore. I'm just going to go about things with that mentality now, and if a season happens, cool. If not, I won't have to deal with one of the NHL's trademark crushing let-downs to their fans.
Indeed.

They've pretty much been saying the same thing for months, now. "Despite nothing but bad news and little to no tangible progress made... I've heard that a season is just around the corner!"

It makes it even cuter, right this second. What with the warm, fuzzy Christmas angle.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
That Lindros was involved in the Kelly thing pretty much tells me it was handled the wrong way. If there was a way for him to **** up a business relationship or management of some element of his career or related, he found a way. Did he bring his Dad into player meetings too?
Lindros is my wife's favorite player and apparently the sexiest man alive. I've heard the story how she met him in an elevator once when she was 18, possibly 45 times.

"He was so huge.... Omigawd...it was just me and him... alone! For like six floors!"

"That's great babe..."

"You should see the documentary they made of him working out... Omigawd... He was carrying this HUGE log on his back.. And he had no shirt on...."

"Ya, I'll have to catch that one..."

Old
12-12-2012, 03:18 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I listen to him as much as I listen to Eklund or ******* ********.

Wait, why did Hockey(y) Insider(r) get blocked?

Old
12-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Unified player strategy for fan optimism / not losing fans' interest:

Find reporter eager to write up any scrap of gibberish you tell him, everyone be sure to stay positive and say "we won't lose the season", and watch the fans stick around every time they report it. Yohe has no logical basis for optimism at this point unless he values talk more than facts. I'm surprised it's gone this long. If things don't work after this second mediator meeting / more progress isn't made, it's over IMO. Bettman will call the season sometime next week or the week after probably, throwing in some more token meetings and phone calls in the process to seem "open to negotiation" when it's time to go to court.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Looks like neither side was in the same room today. 6 Hours of separate meetings with the mediators. Not sure if that's 6 hours for each of them, each with a different mediator, or what. NHLPA meeting internally right now and may provide something for mediators after that warrants further discussion. But right now all signs are that both sides are sticking to their most recent entrenched positions and that no progress has been made. Shocking.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Unified player strategy for fan optimism / not losing fans' interest:

Find reporter eager to write up any scrap of gibberish you tell him, everyone be sure to stay positive and say "we won't lose the season", and watch the fans stick around every time they report it. Yohe has no logical basis for optimism at this point unless he values talk more than facts. I'm surprised it's gone this long. If things don't work after this second mediator meeting / more progress isn't made, it's over IMO. Bettman will call the season sometime next week or the week after probably, throwing in some more token meetings and phone calls in the process to seem "open to negotiation" when it's time to go to court.
Sounds about right.

As for when the season is declared dead...I believe Bettman will announce it as such by the end of the month, but not have it be a definitive date. I think the true drop-dead date is going to be in mid-January.

At this point I really barely care. I'm more bitter than anything.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
12-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Looks like neither side was in the same room today. 6 Hours of separate meetings with the mediators. Not sure if that's 6 hours for each of them, each with a different mediator, or what. NHLPA meeting internally right now and may provide something for mediators after that warrants further discussion. But right now all signs are that both sides are sticking to their most recent entrenched positions and that no progress has been made. Shocking.

*insert media tweets that sides are closer than ever to a new deal*

EDIT: cut/paste from the main thread

Renaud Lavoie on RDS tonight:

- ''Nothing happened today because the league knows it has Fehr and the players right where it wants them, in a very vulnerable position.''

- ''As long as it stays that way, I don't know how the PA changes the current situation and puts the onus on the owners. They've given the NHL 50/50 split, accepted 300 M on make whole...now they'll fight for 5 year term limits? It's normal to be mad, but the reality is that fighting on this issue only...they'll lose. Because there are hundreds of millions, 1.7 B or 1.8 B that could NOT be in the players pockets this year. Are they really ready to fight that battle to not have a 5 year term limit? It's where this is at. It's a very important question the PA must ask themselves.''

- ''The league does not need owners in the meetings, does not need to make the players a new offer...the players are in a vulnerable position and they can't escape at this stage...there will be eventually a panic movement inside the PA's ranks...and the owners know the players are stuck in that vulnerable position, that's why the owners won't move further and at a certain point a vote on the owners offer is inevitable.''

- ''Daly told me tonight that the league would gladly submit a written proposal to the PA for it go to a vote.''

- ''Lots of damage control going on inside the PA. Players in the meetings and PA reps are trying hard to sell the message they can't accept 5 year term limits, can't accept amnesty buyouts counting in make whole, etc''

In short, NHLPA looks pretty ****ed

Last edited by Sivek: 12-12-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old
12-13-2012, 12:17 AM
SHOOTANDSCORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Not that I know of. That said common sense says you would have to have at least 30 games to make a season. That would take you to around the second week of february. Half the season will be over for most teams by the second week of January. So losing the entire season is closer than you think. I doubt that either said has an absolute drop dead date for calling the season, but like I said you can speculate that logically it would have to be around there for the season to not seem pointless.
FWIW, Bettman said he can't imagine playing a season of less than 48 games. I'm guessing that means that the season would have to start in mid Jan. With a week or so for camp, there would need to be an agreement around Jan 10.

Old
12-13-2012, 06:45 AM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

Quote:
*insert media tweets that sides are closer than ever to a new deal*

EDIT: cut/paste from the main thread

Renaud Lavoie on RDS tonight:

- ''Nothing happened today because the league knows it has Fehr and the players right where it wants them, in a very vulnerable position.''

- ''As long as it stays that way, I don't know how the PA changes the current situation and puts the onus on the owners. They've given the NHL 50/50 split, accepted 300 M on make whole...now they'll fight for 5 year term limits? It's normal to be mad, but the reality is that fighting on this issue only...they'll lose. Because there are hundreds of millions, 1.7 B or 1.8 B that could NOT be in the players pockets this year. Are they really ready to fight that battle to not have a 5 year term limit? It's where this is at. It's a very important question the PA must ask themselves.''

- ''The league does not need owners in the meetings, does not need to make the players a new offer...the players are in a vulnerable position and they can't escape at this stage...there will be eventually a panic movement inside the PA's ranks...and the owners know the players are stuck in that vulnerable position, that's why the owners won't move further and at a certain point a vote on the owners offer is inevitable.''

- ''Daly told me tonight that the league would gladly submit a written proposal to the PA for it go to a vote.''

- ''Lots of damage control going on inside the PA. Players in the meetings and PA reps are trying hard to sell the message they can't accept 5 year term limits, can't accept amnesty buyouts counting in make whole, etc''

In short, NHLPA looks pretty ****ed

Just like we all knew they would, but not the NHLPA.

Closed Thread