HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBA Thread, Daniel Bryan Edition: The lockout is (tentatively) over!

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2012, 06:45 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

vCash: 500
Closer to that supposed date the players keep saying the league has. Gonna be kinda funny in a sad way if and when the season is canned and the players are left standing just like they were last time when they believed the owners had everything planned down to a T and they wouldn't lose a season.

PS, the good news with the PA voting over disclaimer and missing even more games, maybe some people will stop the delusional belief that just because this lockout is being handled by some of the same lawyers from the NBA, it is NOT the same.

Last edited by KaylaJ: 12-20-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old
12-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
It's going to be awfully hard to forgive anyone for this.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
12-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckleball View Post

This is really good.

Old
12-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Ouch.

Old
12-20-2012, 11:08 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
It's going to be awfully hard to forgive anyone for this.
Us hardcore fans will keep watching... the revenue will go down to all the casuals who leave. This is a damn ****ing joke. Everyone is to blame and it's a sad state for the game I love.

Old
12-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

I almost wish my financial footprint was larger, so I could actually have an effect on things.

When you go to 1-2 games a year and live out of market...I really don't spend all that much money on the NHL. My ticket money has already gone to the MLS this year...but the only other thing I'd spend money on would be CenterIce...which is probably going to be about a $100 investment if they play a 48 game schedule this year (if they're smart it'll be far less than that...the only reason I'm even considering it if play resumes is because I'm busy most nights and following the Penguins will require watching games after the fact more often than not...otherwise I'd just go the European route). If I take a moral stand then the NHL loses, what, $100? I'm sure the anger will subside over time, hockey is just too deep in my blood to fall away, but I'm too pissed off at everyone to even be eager for a return at this point.

I'll be back. But I don't think I'll be coming back the fan I was in 2005-06...and if I were to go to the first game back I'd probably be kicked out of the arena before the puck even dropped.

I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!

Old
12-21-2012, 04:04 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I almost wish my financial footprint was larger, so I could actually have an effect on things.

When you go to 1-2 games a year and live out of market...I really don't spend all that much money on the NHL. My ticket money has already gone to the MLS this year...but the only other thing I'd spend money on would be CenterIce...which is probably going to be about a $100 investment if they play a 48 game schedule this year (if they're smart it'll be far less than that...the only reason I'm even considering it if play resumes is because I'm busy most nights and following the Penguins will require watching games after the fact more often than not...otherwise I'd just go the European route). If I take a moral stand then the NHL loses, what, $100? I'm sure the anger will subside over time, hockey is just too deep in my blood to fall away, but I'm too pissed off at everyone to even be eager for a return at this point.

I'll be back. But I don't think I'll be coming back the fan I was in 2005-06...and if I were to go to the first game back I'd probably be kicked out of the arena before the puck even dropped.

I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!
That's pretty much how I fell. I love hockey and the NHL, but this time it will be a lot harder to forgive them, **** those players and **** everybody else who is responsible for this lockout.

Old
12-21-2012, 04:08 AM
Giskard

I know that I'll be back to the NHL only because I love the NHL, but I don't live for the NHL.
I'm used to watch the games delayed the next day on Game Center Live, so I don't have to be on the tv at 7:00pm (1:00am for me), and so I watch them when I can (all 82 games), like a dvr tv show.

For me it's like a good tv show that take a long hiatus ... like BBC Sherlock is really good for me, but it won't come back until late 2013 ... I'll wait for it and live my life in between (tomorrow I'll go nordic skiing!! ).

Old
12-21-2012, 12:51 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Considering how much of idiots the two sides are being now, I'm finding it hard to even care about the NHL returning. Enough is enough. It's just absolutely ridiculous that there's got to be a work stoppage/lockout every time the CBA expires now. And for me, that's going to be the lingering anger. Even when they do arrive at an agreement this time, are we going to go through this very same thing in 5, 6, 7 years?

I know it's going to have pretty much zero overall effect, but I'm not spending a dime on the NHL for a very long time. I'll watch the games on TV (the free stuff, not the NHL network or any other service that I'd have to pay extra for), but I'm not going to a game in person, I'm not buying any NHL merchandise, etc.

Old
12-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

I'm giggity today.

Old
12-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Union Board granted option to Disclaim Interest.

Go ahead and do it you ****heads. Start some new lawsuits, ruin the league. 12-21-12 will be remembered not as the day when the world ended but the day when NHL ended.

This is how the NHL makes me feel when I think about how piss-ant a thing it is in the grand scheme of things, how rich they all are, and yet how consistently they find ways to **** things up. I am Jack's total lack of personal engagement. Don't care at this point. Blow it up and go **** yourselves. I'll wait until a new league is formed by owners who know WTF they're doing, and players who appreciate the things they have.

Happy Holidays, ya buncha ****bags.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 12-21-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old
12-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Al Smith

http://www.freep.com/article/2012122...sey=nav%7Chead

"I don't know how much the owners care about the game of hockey," Samuelsson said. "I don't know if I say too much here, now, but all the NHL owners who own a team probably have other businesses, too. And the owners know we live and breathe hockey. So to us, it's devastating to not play, not only because of the money and this and that, but just to play the game. That's why we're here in the first place, because we like the game so much.

I wonder if he's just now figuring this out? So, armed with this knowledge, along with the fact that the owners were willing to give up an entire season in 04-05, when does he expect the owners to start giving a little more in negotiations (to the extent they actually happen)?

Old
12-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

All praise Chi, Chi Vitale.

Old
12-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Old
12-21-2012, 02:19 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
I know that I'll be back to the NHL only because I love the NHL, but I don't live for the NHL.
I'm used to watch the games delayed the next day on Game Center Live, so I don't have to be on the tv at 7:00pm (1:00am for me), and so I watch them when I can (all 82 games), like a dvr tv show.

For me it's like a good tv show that take a long hiatus ... like BBC Sherlock is really good for me, but it won't come back until late 2013 ... I'll wait for it and live my life in between (tomorrow I'll go nordic skiing!! ).
I love Sherlock. It's my favorite show not on TV in the US.

Old
12-22-2012, 11:43 AM
SkullSplitter

I prefer Luther.

Old
12-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Penguins’ Orpik: Bringing back fans is league’s job

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...gue-orpik-fans

Quote:
“Obviously you think about that kind of stuff,” said Orpik, who is going through his second lockout. “But the league, that‘s their side of things. They‘re the ones who need to worry about marketing. Our job is to play our best. We are the product. There is no league without us.

You're just as much responsible for bringing back fans, or you can take less then 50/50. The league will be fine without you though.

One of the few times I'd argue against, Brooks.

Old
12-25-2012, 07:08 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Yeah...not happy with Brooks. I get what he was TRYING to say... but it was a piss-poor way of saying it. I will not be rooting for him. That's a dumb thing to say.

Old
12-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Orpik, for as often as he speaks, comes across as a pompous ********* a lot of times.

Shut your mouth and play hockey. Or, in this case, keep training so maybe you won't have a debilitating injury that lasts all season, bringing your level of play down to ****.

Old
12-25-2012, 09:51 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

The hatred for the players on this board is really comical.

Old
12-25-2012, 10:10 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOTO View Post
The hatred for the players on this board is really comical.
Go on? We put a lot of time/money into this game. I think it's all fair.

Old
12-25-2012, 10:44 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

It's just the over-the-top vitriolic tone towards almost every player who opens his mouth (granted, more than a few of them sound dumb, but the Orpik quote just now is just so unbelievably tame, the response is hilarious) and the paranoid demonization of Donald Fehr. Except for the small handful of relatively pro-player posters, criticism of the owners here amounts to lip service. It makes some sense considering one of the Penguins' owners is the franchise's God figure and the current roster alienated a lot of people with their playoff performance. But when Jiggyfly expresses a rather moderate view that (in my opinion) properly assessed the power dynamic between owners and players and the way negotiations have gone so far, which led him to criticizing the owners a bit more than others, he was basically shouted down as a union shill.

Brooks Orpik: As a hockey player, I sell the NHL by playing well. Beyond that, high level marketing decisions aren't really in my job description.
HF Penguins board: SHUT YOUR ****ING MOUTH YOU PLEBE OR YOU'LL BE OUT ON THE STREET YOU BUM.

The attitude here is just a few notches below this.

Old
12-25-2012, 10:56 PM
penguins2946*

People, he said it's his job to play, not to market the sport. It's not that hard. People are exploding over nothing. He isn't blaming the owners for the lockout, he isn't calling out the owners, all he is doing is saying that it isn't the player's responsibility to market the sport and revive it, which has ALWAYS been the case.

Old
12-25-2012, 11:02 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

You can't defend him here. Nobody can. I am one of the bigger Orpik fans and apologists for Penguins players... but there is just no defending how he came off. I get what he was trying to say, but his game is dying and that was a terrible thing to say.

Just not the right audience or time to say it. Defend it all you want, but there just is no denying his timing here.

Old
12-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

People go to see the players. To say his hands are clean is an insult to the people who, at the end of the day, pay his ****ing salary.

No fans mean no owners.
No owners mean no $4 million/year contracts to play a game.

Closed Thread