HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBA Thread, Daniel Bryan Edition: The lockout is (tentatively) over!

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Tafkak

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Tafkak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Hard not to be on owners' side right now if these stats coming out are true and players are rejecting them outright.
I've gone from mild dislike of the PA to outright hatred. They can all rot for trying to ruin my favorite game.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Tafkak

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Talk to some owners/NHL people, sense is this blows up today. Talk to other owners who say no way we lose season over these differences.

Old
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
This is what gets me. The NHL is much, much less profitable than any of the other major sports in NA yet the NHLPA seems blind to this. It's not even close either. All the big money is in tv contracts and the NHL's is just laughable compared to the others. There was a big fuss over the latest NHL tv contract showing how strong the league was now, but just compare it to the other sports and you'll see how bad it is. There really is no reason for the NHL players to be making as much money as they do compared to the other sports when you consider the amount of money they generate.

Do the NHLPA really think they deserve 10 year, fully guaranteed contracts? Come on, stuff like that should of been some of the first things knocked off the table by the NHL, let alone be a sticking point.

As unadorned as that opinion is with technical jargon relating to the nuts and bolts of the CBA and the inner financial workings of the league... it largely sums up why I feel the PA is being completely unrealistic. You guys don't play in MLB. Certainly not the NFL. Sorry to break it to ya... but you guys aren't even in the NBA's neighborhood of relevance. Especially now.

Just a thought, players... having a guarantee of no labor strife for at least 8 years (as opposed to five) is a good way to start growing the game to the point where maybe someday the league will be able to generate the revenues to pay those that come after you like baseball players. Maybe.

Old
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
...them retuning had nothing to do with this negativity. They are returning because of it. Things were going off the rails yesterday. They haven't even met today.
I'm not sure that's correct. The PA was supposed to meet earlier this morning over recent NHL proposal then meet up with the league but not clear where that was for sure an "after lunch" situation or not. These guys don't have a lot of time, and they know it. Every hour counts.

This

Quote:
With the more critical labour issues on the docket, NHL owners and players are expected to take part in CBA talks for a third straight day this afternoon in an effort to end the nearly three-month lockout.

And this time, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr will be back in the room.
+

Tweets that seem to indicate more talks are going on and the TSN guys being fed info that the vibe is very bad

=

a change in dynamic.

Hard to say for sure but I get the impression that as soon as Fehr and Bettman entered the calculus again, things started getting more negative. It almost doesn't matter if there are talks going on right this second or not. Why would this surprise anyone given what's happened to this point? These guys are dividers not leaders.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:37 AM
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy

This is all gonna blow up again, isn't it?

Old
12-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Tafkak

The fact that the more moderate owners are miffed by the PA (including Burkle), before Bettman has even re-entered negotiations, speaks volumes to the frustration that the NHLPA has been causing. I don't think things will improve with the top two re-entering things.

Rossi (yes, I know) even tweeted that Burkle is angry with the PA.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Possibly. The media is not making it clear which owners were pissed about the players' response to Make Whole. It almost sounds like the 6 owners involved went to the others to relay the situation, and (the other owners) expecting a deal were instead met with negative reaction and it surprised them / pissed them off? Too much media heresay going on right now. I say we just chill and wait for some real information later today.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:42 AM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Many players here don't like what's on table - "what's in it for us" mantra - but many others not here say this could be a workable deal.

Blow the ****ing league up and start over with amateurs and new draftees that haven't signed NHL contracts yet. (just kidding... maybe...)

Old
12-06-2012, 11:42 AM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafkak View Post
I've gone from mild dislike of the PA to outright hatred. They can all rot for trying to ruin my favorite game.
I'm just glad Malkin and most Penguins have kept quiet (unlike a certain player that wears the number 8). The one star that has spoken up was also known as a moderate on Tuesday, so there's that.

Still though, I wish there would be some Monopoly money toss first game back. Let the player know what we think. Owners haven't been perfect, but the deal is on the table.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:44 AM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Many players here don't like what's on table - "what's in it for us" mantra - but many others not here say this could be a workable deal.
You get to play hockey with an average salary of about $2.0 million or more. That's what's in it for you.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:44 AM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Possibly. The media is not making it clear which owners were pissed about the players' response to Make Whole. It almost sounds like the 6 owners involved went to the others to relay the situation, and (the other owners) expecting a deal were instead met with negative reaction and it surprised them / pissed them off? Too much media heresay going on right now. I say we just chill and wait for some real information later today.
Jacobs reportedly tried to walk out and was stopped by Daly.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Tafkak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post

Blow the ****ing league up and start over with amateurs and new draftees that haven't signed NHL contracts yet. (just kidding... maybe...)
Where is that bang head against wall animation when you really need it.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:46 AM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPuddle View Post
This is all gonna blow up again, isn't it?
Looking like it. Hopefully some moderate players take control, speak up and the moderate owners convince others to at least show patience.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Tafkak

@JSportsnet: League has yet to hear from the NHLPA on meeting time. Makes you wonder when it will really start...or if it will start at all today.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
You get to play hockey with an average salary of about $2.0 million or more. That's what's in it for you.
No ****... you'd think someone would recognize that.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:49 AM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

This league just needs to fold so we can move on. It's second rate and really showing it now.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
This league just needs to fold so we can move on. It's second rate and really showing it now.
To tell you the truth it might be. Kill off the joke market and poorly run teams so there's no more "profit challenged" venues, gather up the owners from the real markets (and potential markets like Quebec / Hamilton) and start again. Goodbye, FLA, TB, WSH, ANA, probably Dallas... hello restructured league with much more concentrated pool of talent and far larger proportion of die-hard fans. No doubt many of the same players would come back but they'd have to do it on the owners' terms, the rest you bring in from rookie drafts and AHL and Europe. In the end it might not take that long to get back to the highest level of hockey if you remove 4-5 teams from the league. Just means there are then 500 available slots instead of 700 or whatever it is now. Deadweight / scrub players all go to the minors or retire.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:04 PM
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy

John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl
According to Toronto Star and Sportsnet.ca, Sabres goalie Ryan Miller "angrily vented" and "lost his temper briefly."

Things getting heated up in thurr

Old
12-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Shady Machine

Yeah the NHLPA wanting a 5 year deal is the most frustrating part of this to me. They whine about just wanting to play and this is an owner's lockout (I know that public relations crap) yet they aren't willing to do a long term deal. It makes absolutely no sense.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:11 PM
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Yeah the NHLPA wanting a 5 year deal is the most frustrating part of this to me. They whine about just wanting to play and this is an owner's lockout (I know that public relations crap) yet they aren't willing to do a long term deal. It makes absolutely no sense.
Exactly, as McKenzie said, installing a ten year CBA would have went a small way towards getting some fans back right away.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:12 PM
mpp9

Na, the PA is just looking out for the future players and giving them their say in 5 years. What a bunch of ********. I guess the fans aren't more important. And the health of the league in the present.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:13 PM
End of Line
Human After All

The whole "Let us play" thing is a crock of ****.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
12-06-2012, 12:19 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Matthew Barnaby ‏@MattBarnaby3636
BINGO!!!“@cotsonika: Players have gotten owners to back off on a lot if things. Danger is ticking off guys who came to make a deal.”

Old
12-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

It's less 'let us play' than it is 'let us get paid'.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
12-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Tafkak

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Players from around the league have called into internal NHLPA meetings all day long... Crunch time. Big decisions being made on next step

It has been suggested that the NHLPA might choose to vote on the latest proposal.

Closed Thread