HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Fight Announcements & Rumors - Part VII (Machida/Munoz *Bisping out)

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2013, 09:05 PM
cnshockey
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Chael-Shogun headlines FS1 1. FS1 1. God that sounds awful. Fox Sports 1....1. Whatever.

Old
06-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
Benson vs Grant LW title fight will headline UFC 164, which all but ensures that the GSP/Hendricks fight will be in Toronto for UFC 165, if it wasn't already assumed.

Old
06-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Chael-Shogun headlines FS1 1. FS1 1. God that sounds awful. Fox Sports 1....1. Whatever.
Hard to complain about a stacked card that's going to be free but I expected a better main event. Should be a decent fight but not one that I have a lot of interest in. I find it a bit similar to Jones/Sonnen, it's perfectly fine if Sonnen is going to step up and take the fight on short notice to save the fight/card. But pushing it back a few months and then making it the main event so Sonnen can help sell it with his mouth? That's just laziness.

However, that's going to be a GREAT card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Benson vs Grant LW title fight will headline UFC 164, which all but ensures that the GSP/Hendricks fight will be in Toronto for UFC 165, if it wasn't already assumed.
Nice!

Old
06-04-2013, 10:08 PM
m9

Really like the sounds of all of those cards coming up late summer.

Old
06-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Hard to complain about a stacked card that's going to be free but I expected a better main event. Should be a decent fight but not one that I have a lot of interest in. I find it a bit similar to Jones/Sonnen, it's perfectly fine if Sonnen is going to step up and take the fight on short notice to save the fight/card. But pushing it back a few months and then making it the main event so Sonnen can help sell it with his mouth? That's just laziness.
I actually think the fight makes some sense.

Old
06-04-2013, 10:46 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
I actually think the fight makes some sense.
Shogun in a five round fight against a great wrestler? Dude is going to gas out after 10-15 minutes.

I don't know, I see it as one of those "fun fights" that don't really mean anything when it comes to the division. You can never say never when it comes to Chael but I doubt he's getting a title shot again. Shogun is still young enough to make a run (if Jones moves up) but I don't think he's a top fighter anymore.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:01 AM
I Am Beat You

UFC should have booked Faber vs Pickett. I like the matchups those two got anyways, but still...

Old
06-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Kitten Mittons

So is FS1 really free? I have Comcast and don't have Speed HD or Fuel TV ... does that mean every Comcast customer who doesn't have the full premier package won't get the channels? That's a lot of viewers.

Old
06-05-2013, 08:42 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
So is FS1 really free? I have Comcast and don't have Speed HD or Fuel TV ... does that mean every Comcast customer who doesn't have the full premier package won't get the channels? That's a lot of viewers.
It's rebranding the speed channel, so it's not really new. It is in 90 million homes in the US, which is a good amount. By comparison ESPN is around 100 million homes.

Old
06-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Kitten Mittons

I just find it weird that Speed is free on basically every provider except Comcast, where it's a premium channel that you have to pay extra for. Same with Fuel TV. I am definitely not paying more for cable just to get FS1/2. It just sucks for Comcast users.

Old
06-05-2013, 10:51 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
It's rebranding the speed channel, so it's not really new. It is in 90 million homes in the US, which is a good amount. By comparison ESPN is around 100 million homes.
Has anything been said about FS1 in Canada? The live events will be on Sportsnet regardless but it would be nice to get some of the other UFC content.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:04 PM
m9

Quote:
Has anything been said about FS1 in Canada? The live events will be on Sportsnet regardless but it would be nice to get some of the other UFC content.
From what I've read, if you can get Speed you can get FS1. The channel will just be re-branded.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
From what I've read, if you can get Speed you can get FS1. The channel will just be re-branded.
I'm pretty sure I get Speed on Shaw. There was some talk that the CRTC could get involved because FS1 would be a direct competitor to two domestic channels (TSN and SN). Speed was approved by the CRTC because they weren't competing with any Canadian networks at the time. Haven't heard anything about it recently.

Old
06-06-2013, 02:10 AM
m9

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I get Speed on Shaw. There was some talk that the CRTC could get involved because FS1 would be a direct competitor to two domestic channels (TSN and SN). Speed was approved by the CRTC because they weren't competing with any Canadian networks at the time. Haven't heard anything about it recently.
I'm on Shaw and get Speed, or its at least an option.

Doesn't really matter to me either way, Sportsnet does a good job.

Does anyone know if there will still be lower FX/Fuel cards on FS2 or is all that content going to FS1? Two FS1 cards in the first week and a half leads me to believe everything will be there.

Old
06-06-2013, 02:42 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Does anyone know if there will still be lower FX/Fuel cards on FS2 or is all that content going to FS1? Two FS1 cards in the first week and a half leads me to believe everything will be there.
All of the FX/Fuel cards will be on FS1 now. The prelims for PPV and the four FOX cards will also be on FS1.

The only thing they didn't announce is the prelims for the FS1 cards. For the first FS1 event they're showing the prelims on the same channel and they'll have five straight hours of UFC but they didn't say anything about future events. Not sure if those will be on FS1 or if they'll show those on FS2.

Old
06-11-2013, 10:24 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Has Cormier agreed to another fight yet? Any word on whether he's making moves to trim his frame down to LHW?

Hunt and Nelson seem better off at HW though... not sure they'd have the speed to utilize their heavy hands against upper tier LHW guys. They seem better off as HW gatekeepers.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:08 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Has Cormier agreed to another fight yet? Any word on whether he's making moves to trim his frame down to LHW?

Hunt and Nelson seem better off at HW though... not sure they'd have the speed to utilize their heavy hands against upper tier LHW guys. They seem better off as HW gatekeepers.
Last week Ariel Helwani said Cormier wants to fight Nelson at HW and then move down to LHW after that. Apparently he badly wants the Nelson fight.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:10 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Last week Ariel Helwani said Cormier wants to fight Nelson at HW and then move down to LHW after that. Apparently he badly wants the Nelson fight.
Which is weird because according to Nelson, Cormier was offered the fight against him in Winnipeg. Who knows if it's true or not though.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Which is weird because according to Nelson, Cormier was offered the fight against him in Winnipeg. Who knows if it's true or not though.
I don't know who to believe. Nelson talks a lot of crap and I could see him lying about this. But I also doubt Miocic was their first choice, a few fighters must have turned down the fight.

Old
06-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
I don't know who to believe. Nelson talks a lot of crap and I could see him lying about this. But I also doubt Miocic was their first choice, a few fighters must have turned down the fight.
According to Nelson, Travis Browne was also in the mix but they matched him with Overreem. But yea, who know's what to believe. Nelson's own words were, "I think I got offered Cormier, and I think he turned it down".

Old
06-11-2013, 11:48 PM
m9

Who knows if Nelson will even be around in the UFC to get that Cormier fight. Hopefully they can lock him up, his contract is done after this weekend.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:10 AM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 293
Quote:
Who knows if Nelson will even be around in the UFC to get that Cormier fight. Hopefully they can lock him up, his contract is done after this weekend.
Nobody actually thinks Nelson is leaving, right?

I think Big Country is a tough guy to pin down his status. Contender? Gatekeeper? Sideshow freak? LHW? Him not being extended yet to me sounds like a possible division change (ie: we will sign you if ...) or simply wanting to see where he ranks before putting a dollar figure on him. I think his fight wih JDS clearly shows he's not a serious contender, but what that means exactly is - and will be - not totally clear.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:18 AM
BGDDYKWL

Cormier immediately contacted Helwani when word got out about him supposedly turning down the Nelson fight. I forget the exact explanation, but there was one. Sounded like Roy saying he turned down the fight rubbed him the wrong way, so it definitely sounds like we'll see that next assuming Roy wins this weekend. I just don't see the point if Cormier's moving to 205 after. I'd want a fight at 205 before Jones to get used to the cut, fighting at that weight, etc. If I were him I'd just be dieting right now and then take a fight with a top 6 or so guy at 205 next, and then fight Jones after that.

As for Roy moving to 205, he could easily make the weight, but I just don't see it helping him. His gig at HW isn't too bad. He's a relevant and very skilled guy who can fill in on big fights and test up and comers. I don't think he'd make any serious run at 205 so if he's gonna be in the 5-10 range at either weight class, he might as well stay at HW.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:47 AM
jw2

vCash: 643
Cormier used the excuse that he wasn't medically clear to accept a fight.

Even though it was just preliminary discussions, but that was after he already decided to wait and fight Mir instead of BC.

Old
06-12-2013, 08:05 AM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
Nobody actually thinks Nelson is leaving, right?

I think Big Country is a tough guy to pin down his status. Contender? Gatekeeper? Sideshow freak? LHW? Him not being extended yet to me sounds like a possible division change (ie: we will sign you if ...) or simply wanting to see where he ranks before putting a dollar figure on him. I think his fight wih JDS clearly shows he's not a serious contender, but what that means exactly is - and will be - not totally clear.
He's not dropping to 205.

It comes down to money, he'll be back if the UFC gives him a good deal. He's been underpaid for his time in the UFC.

Closed Thread