HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Fight Announcements & Rumors - Part VII (Machida/Munoz *Bisping out)

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Captain_Cunney

vCash: 500
Bellator will be watching closely. Their hw division is awful & big Roy immediately brings more interest, similar to rampage.

DC needs to shut his yap and concentrate on one division, start getting the cut down & quit getting his panties in a bunch everytime his pride is hurt. I had no problems pre ufc with him but I'm growing tired of him with each passing day.

He won't fight Cain, who will be champ for a while so why would the ufc let him fight any other contenders and knock them back? It makes no sense from the business stand point.

Fight the winner of this weekends main event and then face Jones should he win.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:08 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
Bellator will be watching closely. Their hw division is awful & big Roy immediately brings more interest, similar to rampage.

DC needs to shut his yap and concentrate on one division, start getting the cut down & quit getting his panties in a bunch everytime his pride is hurt. I had no problems pre ufc with him but I'm growing tired of him with each passing day.

He won't fight Cain, who will be champ for a while so why would the ufc let him fight any other contenders and knock them back? It makes no sense from the business stand point.

Fight the winner of this weekends main event and then face Jones should he win.
Yup.

The UFC needs to ante up here and lock up Nelson. They are in desperate need of guys like him who can co-main PPVs and main event the free cards. People whine about undercard guys being underpaid, but the UFC loses money on them because they bring zero eyeballs to their product. Someone like Nelson does bring in fans and needs to be paid.

This is another example of why the UFC needs to trim the roster substantially and get down to 10 fights per card. It's no secret they aren't making as much money as they were a few years ago. If your budget is X dollars, hold onto your guys who make you money. Save some money and let those no-name retread guys fight elsewhere.

Trim the fat, and not Roy Nelson.

Old
06-12-2013, 05:38 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
Yup.

The UFC needs to ante up here and lock up Nelson. They are in desperate need of guys like him who can co-main PPVs and main event the free cards. People whine about undercard guys being underpaid, but the UFC loses money on them because they bring zero eyeballs to their product. Someone like Nelson does bring in fans and needs to be paid.

This is another example of why the UFC needs to trim the roster substantially and get down to 10 fights per card. It's no secret they aren't making as much money as they were a few years ago. If your budget is X dollars, hold onto your guys who make you money. Save some money and let those no-name retread guys fight elsewhere.

Agreed.

Old
06-12-2013, 08:21 PM
BGDDYKWL

Zero chance they let Roy walk IMO. Unless Miocic finishes him. Then I could see it happening. It would be a very bad business decision to let a fan favorite who's still very good walk. It's time for them to start (financially) rewarding some of these guys or it could get to the point where they find themselves in some trouble at some point down the road. I know other organizations have failed miserably, but all it would take is someone with a lot of money to lure 5-10 top guys and things would get real interesting.

Jones just tweeted that he just spoke with Dana and a fight date announcement is coming soon. Assuming it has to be Gus.

Last edited by BGDDYKWL: 06-12-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old
06-13-2013, 12:11 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Yup.

They might be losing money on the undercard guys, but only minimal amounts compared to their overall revenues. Also, the idea that they're losing money on those guys in the present day ignores the fact that the future money generators are going to come from the undercard ranks.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:06 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Yup.

Well said.

The one thing that frustrates me is these quick cuts of guys who are ufc caliber, Carvallo comes to mind recently.

They have brought too man guys in too quickly, it seems like very little thought is being put into these cuts.

There are far too many young prospects coming to the show too quickly, I suspect for financial reasons (they are cheaper). Personally, I don't think anyone e with under 10-12 pro bouts should be anywhere near the top level unless they happen to win TUF.

For every Rory & e Silva, there are 10 guys who can't take the pressure and it crushes development.

They need a feeder league, SF had it right with the challengers series.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:44 AM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
They might be losing money on the undercard guys, but only minimal amounts compared to their overall revenues. Also, the idea that they're losing money on those guys in the present day ignores the fact that the future money generators are going to come from the undercard ranks.
There are very few undercard journeyman who go on to make the company money. Prospects? Sure. But the UFC still has an abundance of dead weight on the bottom of the roster.

You say it's minimal amounts, but on UFC 160 the 11th and 12th fights combined for about 100k of salary. That's unusually high I think (just happened to be the last PPV) but even if we are talking 1/2 that it's still not great business. If they are fine with losing money on those fights and consider it an investment that's great, but it shouldn't come at the expense of top tier draws.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:31 AM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
Well said.

The one thing that frustrates me is these quick cuts of guys who are ufc caliber, Carvallo comes to mind recently.

They have brought too man guys in too quickly, it seems like very little thought is being put into these cuts.

There are far too many young prospects coming to the show too quickly, I suspect for financial reasons (they are cheaper). Personally, I don't think anyone e with under 10-12 pro bouts should be anywhere near the top level unless they happen to win TUF.

For every Rory & e Silva, there are 10 guys who can't take the pressure and it crushes development.

They need a feeder league, SF had it right with the challengers series.
I disagree with almost everything here. Carvalho is a borderline UFC journeyman, these guys should be used to challenge prospects and if they lose a few fights then go back to the lower ranks and fight their way back.

A feeder league is ridiculous, the UFC can match-make properly and work guys up through the undercard. Challengers didn't make money and didn't even do a great job developing prospects.

Lastly, they don't have a choice with young prospects. There is competition out there, and if you don't snap them up quick you will have guys tied to Bellator for years. Top prospects like Bubba Jenkins are already looking elsewhere, you cant afford to lose too many of these guys especially when it's to hold on to guys with limited upside.

Old
06-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Peter Griffin

Jones vs Gustafsson slated for sometime in the Fall. Talk is that the UFC may be planning a big 20th year show, maybe in Cowboys Stadium. Jones/Mauler and GSP/Hendricks?

Old
06-13-2013, 03:51 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Jones vs Gustafsson slated for sometime in the Fall. Talk is that the UFC may be planning a big 20th year show, maybe in Cowboys Stadium. Jones/Mauler and GSP/Hendricks?
Jones v Mauler confirmed for the Toronto card.

Old
06-13-2013, 03:56 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Jones v Mauler confirmed for the Toronto card.
Ooops, scratch that then.

They love putting Jones in Toronto.

Edit: Velasquez vs JDS 3 likely for UFC 166, expected in Houston on October 19th.

Last edited by Peter Griffin: 06-13-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old
06-13-2013, 04:16 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Another one.....

Quote:
Ariel Helwani @arielhelwani
Dana: GSP-Hendricks will be in November, probably in Vegas.
Three big title fights announced today.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:29 PM
jw2

Not going to lie... I wanted Jones vs Silva.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:41 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Sweet. Cain defends the title the day before my birthday. What an awesome present.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:22 PM
jw2

Dana White (@danawhite) June 14, 2013
Quote:
Pettis hurt his knee, Korean Zombie will now face Jose Aldo for the title on the Aug card in Rio Brazil.

CRAP!

Old
06-14-2013, 02:28 PM
kurt
the last emperor

To those talking about salaries of undercard fighters -

First off, there's the opportunity some of those fighters will emerge as main card fighters and possibly even contenders, while still on their a modest multi-fight contract.

Secondly, the UFC has a TV deal in place to broadcast their prelims. In multiple countries. I think they can afford the tens of thousands of dollars it takes to pay those fighters, compared to the TV revenue, sponsorship revenue, etc.

Also, many of those fighters are in the same camps as the main card fighters, with the same coaches. I think they deliberately organize events that way in order to reduce travel costs for fighters' support staffs. Not to mention booking guys that have regional appeal wherever the event is being held, and the minor yet measurable draw that has in terms of ticket sales.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:37 PM
Peter Griffin

I was looking forward to that Aldo/Pettis scrap, I wonder if it ever happens now? Sucks for Pettis but maybe whenever he's ready to go again he'll be able to fight for the title at 155. Good to see the Korean Zombie get the shot, but I bet Ricardo Lamas is pissed. I think he deserved the shot more than Zombie.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:53 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I was looking forward to that Aldo/Pettis scrap, I wonder if it ever happens now? Sucks for Pettis but maybe whenever he's ready to go again he'll be able to fight for the title at 155. Good to see the Korean Zombie get the shot, but I bet Ricardo Lamas is pissed. I think he deserved the shot more than Zombie.
I'd rather see Pettis at 155.

Sucks he's hurt, but I love the new fight too.

Old
06-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Pettis will have to wait a bit now. Aldo has said recently that he would like a shot at 155 so I would guess he gets the winner of Bendo/Grant.

I don't know if he will stay at FW as he said he wanted to fight Aldo... not size related or anything.

Most likely see him back at LW, maybe he can fight the winner of Gilbert Melendez/Diego Sanchez... (also announced recently).

tough timing for Pettis.

Old
06-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Kitten Mittons

Are you ****ing kidding me??? God dammit, I hate injuries.

Old
06-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

That was one of the fights I was looking forward to the most. ****

Old
06-14-2013, 04:54 PM
TerminatorBlue

**** does that ever suck, I was most looking forward to that fight! They can't push that fight back by six weeks?(UFC 165)

Old
06-14-2013, 05:34 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Who knows if Nelson will even be around in the UFC to get that Cormier fight. Hopefully they can lock him up, his contract is done after this weekend.
With how much Dana hates Nelson, he'll low ball him at first. They need to lock him up fast.

Cormier is starting to rub me the wrong way nowadays too.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
06-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

I don't understand all the dislike for Cormier.

Old
06-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorBlue View Post
**** does that ever suck, I was most looking forward to that fight! They can't push that fight back by six weeks?(UFC 165)
No, it's Brazil and they're going to want to see Aldo fight whoever.

Closed Thread