HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Fight Announcements & Rumors - Part VII (Machida/Munoz *Bisping out)

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Kitten Mittons

vCash: 500
Cormier is a nice guy.

Nelson's got a really big ego and while he's entertaining to watch, I wouldn't shed a tear if he leaves. He's not a contender so what's the point.

Old
06-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Cormier is a nice guy.

Nelson's got a really big ego and while he's entertaining to watch, I wouldn't shed a tear if he leaves. He's not a contender so what's the point.
If thats the thought you might as well get rid of all but 3 or 4 heavyweights.

Nelson might not be a contender, but he is clearly a step above most heavy weights by a large margin. Just so happens that he also gets punked by the best of them.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:22 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
If thats the thought you might as well get rid of all but 3 or 4 heavyweights.

Nelson might not be a contender, but he is clearly a step above most heavy weights by a large margin. Just so happens that he also gets punked by the best of them.
Exactly. You need guys like him to derail hype trains or to build the hype of guys that get past him. If you can beat Roy, you probably can make some noise in the division and will be in the top of the division to be honest. If you can't beat Roy, you're probably not beating anyone at the top. You need guys like Roy.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:56 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Exactly. You need guys like him to derail hype trains or to build the hype of guys that get past him. If you can beat Roy, you probably can make some noise in the division and will be in the top of the division to be honest. If you can't beat Roy, you're probably not beating anyone at the top. You need guys like Roy.
Yup, especially when they put on entertaining fights and are fan favorites.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:07 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Is the WSOF 3 main card televised in Canada tonight? I'm currently watching a YouTube stream, but I don't know if it will include the main card.

Bas Rutten has a beard.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:37 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
To those talking about salaries of undercard fighters -

First off, there's the opportunity some of those fighters will emerge as main card fighters and possibly even contenders, while still on their a modest multi-fight contract.

Secondly, the UFC has a TV deal in place to broadcast their prelims. In multiple countries. I think they can afford the tens of thousands of dollars it takes to pay those fighters, compared to the TV revenue, sponsorship revenue, etc.

Also, many of those fighters are in the same camps as the main card fighters, with the same coaches. I think they deliberately organize events that way in order to reduce travel costs for fighters' support staffs. Not to mention booking guys that have regional appeal wherever the event is being held, and the minor yet measurable draw that has in terms of ticket sales.
Fighters should be developed on the undercard, no question. I don't think anyone is saying get rid of prospects, but the 'journeyman vs journeyman' fights are just not UFC-calibre. The guys that lose two in a row to low-level competition.. sorry, hit the road and get some fights in and improve. Especially when these guys aren't making much money or are even losing money. They aren't making any money, the UFC isn't making money off them, and nobody is watching. What's the point. Fight locally and keep your costs down and get lots of fights in.

Also, I think the prelims on TV are great. You could run a 5 fight card, and a 5 fight prelim card - 10 fights. It's the additonal 11, 12th, and 13th fights that become a bit much for all involved. These fights are usally free on Youtube or Facebook, and if the stream numbers I've seen are any indication there aren't many dollars to be had there.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:06 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Is the WSOF 3 main card televised in Canada tonight? I'm currently watching a YouTube stream, but I don't know if it will include the main card.

Bas Rutten has a beard.
Looks like they're streaming the main card on their website. Just tuned in now.

Old
06-15-2013, 12:33 AM
kurt
the last emperor

Ray Sefo just announced that he's entering the cage in WSOF 4. Haha.

Old
06-16-2013, 11:33 PM
Peter Griffin

So Pettis is asking to take TJ Grant's place in the LW title fight in August. Who does this guy think he is?

Old
06-17-2013, 12:36 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Is Grant hurt...? Or are they just ****ing him over? Cause that's pretty lame for him. Although that fight will be awesome. Hopefully Pettis can be the guy to beat Benson. Do not like him. Something about Benson rubs me the wrong way and I honestly think he's lost quite a few of his fights that he "won".

Old
06-17-2013, 12:43 AM
m9

Quote:
Is Grant hurt...? Or are they just ****ing him over? Cause that's pretty lame for him. Although that fight will be awesome. Hopefully Pettis can be the guy to beat Benson. Do not like him. Something about Benson rubs me the wrong way and I honestly think he's lost quite a few of his fights that he "won".
No he's not hurt, and I would be shocked if they pulled that on Grant.

Old
06-17-2013, 12:50 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
So Pettis is asking to take TJ Grant's place in the LW title fight in August. Who does this guy think he is?
Campaign for a title shot all you want if someone gets injured or if the champion doesn't have an opponent yet but don't go out there and ask for Grant to be removed from the title fight so you can fight. That's basically what he's doing right now. Pettis could have waited for a shot at Henderson but he chose to go down and fight Aldo for the title. It's not Grant's fault that he got injured. Dick move.

Dana said they're not removing Grant from the fight but I won't believe it until Grant is standing across the cage from Henderson. I'm being a hypocrite here because I was all for Diaz jumping ahead of Condit/Hendricks and fighting GSP but I hope they don't screw Grant over.

Old
06-17-2013, 01:08 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
No he's not hurt, and I would be shocked if they pulled that on Grant.
I read that as they already did pull him. Is it bad that I wasn't shocked by thinking that could have been true?

Old
06-17-2013, 01:09 AM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
If they haven't signed Bendo/Grant, then the UFC is within their rights to do whatever they choose, and Pettis is right to campaign for the fight. If. He may never get to fight Bendo again, a champion he has beaten before if he doesn't campaign for it. If you have any level of self-belief you have to ask for the fight.

Old
06-17-2013, 11:10 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 100
I don't think they remove Grant. Pettis isn't Silva, GSP or Jones, I don't see Dana or the UFC letting him control his own destiny like he's been trying to do. It's no ones fault but his own that he hasn't/isn't fighting Bendo for the title yet. But than again, chances are he wont even be healthy in time anyways. Dana said the doctor said 6 weeks at least, while Pettis is saying his therapist is saying 3.

Old
06-17-2013, 11:19 AM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

Anthony Pettis is scum and I despise him. I can't wait to see his face get buried in the mat against Aldo.

Old
06-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Also, I think the prelims on TV are great. You could run a 5 fight card, and a 5 fight prelim card - 10 fights. It's the additonal 11, 12th, and 13th fights that become a bit much for all involved. These fights are usally free on Youtube or Facebook, and if the stream numbers I've seen are any indication there aren't many dollars to be had there.
I agree. I remember all of us having the discussion a few years back about how it would be great if a tv deal led to seeing the majority of the under card televised. Sometimes the best fights were on the under card and we only would see them time permitting on the ppv.

Good fight, bad fight, both better than no fights.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Kitten Mittons

So are they gonna stick with just four PPV fights at 162?

Old
06-17-2013, 05:11 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
So are they gonna stick with just four PPV fights at 162?
I'm sure they'll bump a prelim up. Munoz/Boetsch could be a real good fight.

Old
06-17-2013, 05:18 PM
m9

Quote:
They seem to like leaving the prelim main event, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Gonzaga/Herman on the main card instead.

Fun card though, good depth.

Old
06-17-2013, 05:47 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
They seem to like leaving the prelim main event, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Gonzaga/Herman on the main card instead.

Fun card though, good depth.
That's set to be on Facebook right now. Bump that to FX, Munoz/Boetsch to main card, and things are fine.

Old
06-17-2013, 06:22 PM
m9

Quote:
That's set to be on Facebook right now. Bump that to FX, Munoz/Boetsch to main card, and things are fine.
Agreed, but lately they haven't been moving that main event so it wouldn't surprise me if they put another fight in there onto the PPV. Barboza or Leben, even.

Old
06-17-2013, 06:29 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Agreed, but lately they haven't been moving that main event so it wouldn't surprise me if they put another fight in there onto the PPV. Barboza or Leben, even.
Last time Leben led off a PPV (his last fight), it was awful and Dana said how much he regretted that decision. Let him fight a lower pressure fight on FX then move up if he wins. Either way, it's not a big deal as there's already a few good fights that should make it a great card, no matter what the 5th fight is.

Old
06-18-2013, 10:18 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
And I was right. Fight is now on the PPV.

Also, GSP v Hendricks is Nov 16th in Vegas.
Big Nog vs Struve looks like it's happening.
Lombard drops to 170. Wants Marquardt. Marquardt said yes.
Pettis meets with UFC docs tomorrow.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
If they haven't signed Bendo/Grant, then the UFC is within their rights to do whatever they choose, and Pettis is right to campaign for the fight. If. He may never get to fight Bendo again, a champion he has beaten before if he doesn't campaign for it. If you have any level of self-belief you have to ask for the fight.
I'm pretty sure it was signed last week or shortly after tj's big win. I like Pettis, there was an mtv show on him back in his early days and he was a real humble & genuine dude. But this was a Dick move, all the hype must be going to his head.

Wait your turn fool.

Closed Thread