HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Fight Announcements & Rumors - Part VII (Machida/Munoz *Bisping out)

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2013, 12:23 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
The #2 ranked MW against an unranked Kennedy who was just involved in one of the worst fights I've ever seen? Most of the top MWs are already fighting but this still makes very little sense. Philippou wanted to fight Vitor but he said he's not fighting him in Brazil. That fight would have been a lot better than this one.

I guess one positive is that there's a good chance Kennedy gets knocked out cold. I wouldn't mind seeing that.
while not an impressive fight how much blame can you give kennedy? afterall gracie only threw 16 or 18 punches in a 3 round fight.

Old
07-27-2013, 12:37 PM
m9

vCash: 50
Kennedy was probably the only one who would fight Belfort in Brazil.

Old
07-27-2013, 02:42 PM
Kitten Mittons

Well Belfort apparently refuses to fight and wants a title fight only.

They should put him against Mousasi. Although, maybe Gegard should beat someone in the division before getting an eliminator fight. Like Bisping or someone of his caliber.

Old
07-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Captain_Cunney

Punishment for Kennedy, next to Silva this is a terrible matchup for him. I see why vitor doesn't want it, step down.

Vitor vs phillapou would be a fun fight.

Old
07-31-2013, 07:39 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Rampage vs Tito in Bellator in November.

The fight means nothing in 2013 and will probably suck but I'll still watch.

Old
07-31-2013, 07:45 PM
Fanpuck33

Quote:
Rampage vs Tito in Bellator in November.

The fight means nothing in 2013 and will probably suck but I'll still watch.
Excellent job by Bellator to keep this under wraps. The rumors of Tito joining Bellator had been pretty well squashed and they made it seem like a boxing match with RJJ was already done. That being said, they better have better fights than that if they want to try PPV.

Old
07-31-2013, 07:50 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanpuck33 View Post
Excellent job by Bellator to keep this under wraps. The rumors of Tito joining Bellator had been pretty well squashed and they made it seem like a boxing match with RJJ was already done. That being said, they better have better fights than that if they want to try PPV.
They're completely going against everything they've been doing and I think they're going to fail badly on PPV.

I'll be honest, I'll watch because I have been a Rampage fan for a long time but I probably won't be paying to see it.

Old
07-31-2013, 07:55 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
They're completely going against everything they've been doing and I think they're going to fail badly on PPV.

I'll be honest, I'll watch because I have been a Rampage fan for a long time but I probably won't be paying to see it.
I'm the same. But I won't even go out of my way to watch. If I realize it's on, I'll watch. Otherwise, I don't care. They've lost 9 of their last 10 fights. Such a joke.

Old
07-31-2013, 10:00 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Roflcopter with the bellator ppv. Honestly i dont get it both champs sqaushed their competition tonight with ease and in askrens case the other fighter was no match, what kind of competition could be worth ppv unless they do super fights with chandler and curran im guessing jansen would be a better matchup then rickels but tournament title fights should stay free.

My biggest hope tho is this *ppv* is used against bellator in the Alvarez case. I get trying to keep him but they had a dishonest argument that should have lost them the case.

Old
08-01-2013, 08:34 AM
Captain_Cunney

Both those guys still have the skills to compete everywhere but the ufc, hell, they'd still win fights there but their $$ don't make sense any longer. The couch versions of Dana White disagree but they are the same fans chanting USA USA at the events, clueless.

Good on Bellator, interesting fight between two name guys who still deserve to make a living if they want.

Old
08-01-2013, 08:46 AM
jw2

Oh this is a PPV... nevermind. I was pumped when I heard about it (lover oldie vs oldie fights) when I thought it would be on free TV.

Old
08-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
Both those guys still have the skills to compete everywhere but the ufc, hell, they'd still win fights there but their $$ don't make sense any longer. The couch versions of Dana White disagree but they are the same fans chanting USA USA at the events, clueless.

Good on Bellator, interesting fight between two name guys who still deserve to make a living if they want.
Disagree about Tito but Rampage isn't done and he could definitely win fights in the UFC. Not against top competition but I think he would beat quite a few fighters in the LHW division. Tito has been done for a long time.

I don't find anything about this match up interesting but I'll watch Rampage whenever he fights.

Last edited by Avs_19: 08-01-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old
08-01-2013, 04:42 PM
m9

Quote:
Disagree about Tito but Rampage isn't done and he could definitely win fights in the UFC. Not against top competition but I think he would beat quite a few fighters in the LHW division. Tito has been done for a long time.

I don't find anything about this match up interesting but I'll watch Rampage whenever he fights.
Agree with everything here.

Old
08-02-2013, 08:34 AM
Captain_Cunney

I still think tito competes with guys outside the top 15. Sure nog made him look bad but before that he had the huge win over Bader and did fairly well against rashad all things considered. It's hard to see as he only fought top tier guys as his skills started to deteriorate.

Old
08-02-2013, 10:48 AM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
I still think tito competes with guys outside the top 15. Sure nog made him look bad but before that he had the huge win over Bader and did fairly well against rashad all things considered. It's hard to see as he only fought top tier guys as his skills started to deteriorate.
Yeah, it's all relative I guess. Tito might be 'done', but on the other hand there are a handful of guys in the UFC he could and should still beat.

It sucks that guys like this can't work something out so that the UFC can keep them around. I would much rather have Tito or Rampage in a main card PPV fight than some of the junk we get. I understand it comes down to money, but when I say in other threads there should be less fights on every card it is for this exact reason. I would rather see Tito or Rampage fight than see 3 or 4 no-name bouts fill up Facebook.

Old
08-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
It sucks that guys like this can't work something out so that the UFC can keep them around. I would much rather have Tito or Rampage in a main card PPV fight than some of the junk we get. I understand it comes down to money, but when I say in other threads there should be less fights on every card it is for this exact reason. I would rather see Tito or Rampage fight than see 3 or 4 no-name bouts fill up Facebook.
A few extra fights on the bottom of the card isn't preventing the UFC from keeping fighters such as Tito and Rampage around. If we were seeing high level fighters leaving the UFC over monetary issues, you'd have a point, but that's not the case here, at all. Rampage left because he's a whiny ***** and Tito's gone because he's nowhere near a high level fighter anymore and the UFC had no interest in keeping him around. Pretty simple.

Old
08-02-2013, 02:32 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
A few extra fights on the bottom of the card isn't preventing the UFC from keeping fighters such as Tito and Rampage around. If we were seeing high level fighters leaving the UFC over monetary issues, you'd have a point, but that's not the case here, at all. Rampage left because he's a whiny ***** and Tito's gone because he's nowhere near a high level fighter anymore and the UFC had no interest in keeping him around. Pretty simple.
But both guys are still UFC-calibre. Why do they have to be title contenders to add value to the cards? These guys still have tons of fans, and the UFC is dropping the ball. They've both headlined multiple PPVs and having guys like that to fill out main cards is often the difference between people buying the card or not. Rampage or Tito v anyone is the third best fight on the card tomorrow night.

And yes, trimming the fat on the bottom of the roster will save you enough money to keep guys like this. Look at all the junk at the bottom of the cards the last two weeks that added zero eyeballs to the product.

Nobody is going to watch the card tomorrow and it sucks that the UFC continues to mismanage their roster and put themselves in this position.

Old
08-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
But both guys are still UFC-calibre. Why do they have to be title contenders to add value to the cards? These guys still have tons of fans, and the UFC is dropping the ball. They've both headlined multiple PPVs and having guys like that to fill out main cards is often the difference between people buying the card or not. Rampage or Tito v anyone is the third best fight on the card tomorrow night.

And yes, trimming the fat on the bottom of the roster will save you enough money to keep guys like this. Look at all the junk at the bottom of the cards the last two weeks that added zero eyeballs to the product.

Nobody is going to watch the card tomorrow and it sucks that the UFC continues to mismanage their roster and put themselves in this position.
I agree that it sucks that the UFC continues to water down cards, but I don't think the answer is to sign guys like Tito and Rampage to bloated contracts, especially when you consider Rampage wanted nothing to do with the UFC because they "disrespected" him. Tito has 1 win in the last 6 years. 1. Sure he's been fighting arguably top 10/15 guys during that time, but still, that's pathetic and simply not worth paying the amount of money he'd be seeking.

Now, if you were arguing that the UFC let someone like Roy Nelson walk away because of money, I'd agree with you. But the fact is, Rampage was done with the UFC and Tito, IMO at least, is not worth spending money on at this point.

Old
08-02-2013, 03:54 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Quote:

john moraga went from fighting on facebook to main event pretty quickly. those facebook fights arent worthless

Old
08-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yada View Post
john moraga went from fighting on facebook to main event pretty quickly. those facebook fights arent worthless
Not only that, but often times Fight of the Night and Sub/KO of the Night candidates come out of those fights. I guess if you're a "big name" ***** you wouldn't care about those fights, but if you're a fan of fighting in general, what's wrong with a couple extra fights that could be really entertaining? The guys earning $8K a night aren't preventing the UFC from signing the big ticket fighters.

Old
08-02-2013, 05:33 PM
m9

Quote:
I agree that it sucks that the UFC continues to water down cards, but I don't think the answer is to sign guys like Tito and Rampage to bloated contracts, especially when you consider Rampage wanted nothing to do with the UFC because they "disrespected" him. Tito has 1 win in the last 6 years. 1. Sure he's been fighting arguably top 10/15 guys during that time, but still, that's pathetic and simply not worth paying the amount of money he'd be seeking.

Now, if you were arguing that the UFC let someone like Roy Nelson walk away because of money, I'd agree with you. But the fact is, Rampage was done with the UFC and Tito, IMO at least, is not worth spending money on at this point.
Yes Tito's record is terrible, but this is why he should be on the middle of the card and not on the top. Same with Rampage. Their records would be better if they got to fight a Jason Brilz, Steve Cantwell, Roger Hollet or whoever is the 205 jobber of the year once in awhile. Give them a tune-up fight for the third or fourth fight on the PPV. Cleans out the bottom of the roster, gives them a win, and keeps the cost a bit more reasonable since you only are paying one higher contract and not two. And if they start losing to those guys, I think people will know they're done.

Old
08-02-2013, 05:54 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yada View Post
But this just proves my point. It is a terrible business decision to have a guy stuck on Facebook and then have him headline a Fox show when nobody knows who he is.

Moraga shouldn't be cut, he shouldn't have been on Facebook to begin with when he's that close to a title shot in a shallow division. He should have been on FX or Fuel or whatever, taking a spot of some of the other useless filler. UFC 155 (for which he was on Facebook) was a rare excellent card with great depth. But, it's easy enough to find a higher-profile slot for his fight on another card. Or move one of the other fights. Hype him up, let people watch him.

As of tomorrow night, the following guys will have fought within a two week period within the UFC:

-John Albert (Has been subbed 4 straight times in the UFC)
-Yaotzin Meza
-Justin Salas
-Aaron Riley
-Julie Kedzie (Hasn't won in like 5 years)
-Bobby Voelker (Has only beaten Roger Bowling in the last 3 years)
-Neil Magny
-Anthony Perosh
-About 10 Brazilian guys nobody has heard of

.. and the ratings sucked last week, and the buys will suck tomorrow. It's frustrating as a fan. I just want a good title fight, a co-main with some contenders, and a main card filled out with established fighters or higher end prospects. If they were doing this AND had Facebook fights, then that's fine. But they're not. They're trying to cut costs to make money (which I get) but they're going about the wrong way in doing it.

Old
08-02-2013, 06:04 PM
m9

Quote:
Not only that, but often times Fight of the Night and Sub/KO of the Night candidates come out of those fights. I guess if you're a "big name" ***** you wouldn't care about those fights, but if you're a fan of fighting in general, what's wrong with a couple extra fights that could be really entertaining? The guys earning $8K a night aren't preventing the UFC from signing the big ticket fighters.
Well when you have 3 Facebook fights and 6 guys making $8k or more a night, you're up to at least$48k. Add in additional travel costs that the UFC pays for their corners/etc and you are getting pretty close to the same rate as some actual talent that will help sell tickets, or PPVs. And I'm not just talking about Titos or Rampages or whatever - there are plenty of opportunities for current UFC fighters to get more fights every year, but the UFC won't give them to them because they are watching their bottom line and are trying to fill these cards with cheap junk.

I am fine with the UFC cutting costs, I just disagree with how they are doing it. Judging by the downward trends in PPV buys many people are on the same page.

Old
08-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Rampage/Tito being on the card against a mid-tier fighter would be better than the crap they have on tomorrow's main card but in the end I still don't know if it's worth it for the UFC. Neither one of them were taking a pay cut so you're looking at 200-250K to show plus PPV money. It would be more entertaining for the fans but you have to look at it from the UFC's point of view as well, would a fight like that increase PPV buys enough to justify paying Rampage/Tito that much money?

Old
08-02-2013, 06:28 PM
m9

Quote:
Rampage/Tito being on the card against a mid-tier fighter would be better than the crap they have on tomorrow's main card but in the end I still don't know if it's worth it for the UFC. Neither one of them were taking a pay cut so you're looking at 200-250K to show plus PPV money. It would be more entertaining for the fans but you have to look at it from the UFC's point of view as well, would a fight like that increase PPV buys enough to justify paying Rampage/Tito that much money?
Are they making that much from Bellator? I would be pretty surprised. Maybe they are if you count all of their wrestling work too, but then it's kind of hard to compare contracts.

Closed Thread