HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Marlies Part I|24-14-2-2|Colborne and Ashton stepping up?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-16-2012, 09:16 PM
  #251
Bomber0104
Registered User
 
Bomber0104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
Colborne is quickly becoming terri-bad. I've lost count of the amount of Marlie games where I've had to do a double-take to see if he was a healthy scratch or not.

I was a big Colborne fan and always tried to give him the benefit of the doubt when it came to criticism but I don't even see him topping out as a Steckel 2.0 at this point.
He's a terrible player and I see no indication of that ever changing. Ever.

Bomber0104 is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 09:38 PM
  #252
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Colborne was good today, aside from his multiple penalties.

Still don't think he's going to be anything in the NHL.
Thought he was good yesterday too.

But, at the end of the day, 7 points in 22 games isn't cutting it. Kenny Ryan, for example, already has 6 points in 11 games - and that's coming in and out of the lineup. Colborne only has 31 shots on goal also which likely is a factor in his low goal totals. I know he's not a 'shooter', but at the same time you need to break out of your funk somehow. For a top-six, I think you need to get a bit more involved in that way. Aucoin isn't a big time shooter, but he's among the elite in playmaking at the AHL level.

Kadri has 66 shots, Frattin has 38 (in 12 games!), Ryan Hamilton has 42, Jake Gardiner has 74..those are the teams top goal scorers and for good reason.

Needs to pick it up and hopefully break out of his funk after the Holidays.

__________________
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/JE_Iannicello
John-Eric Iannicello is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 10:08 PM
  #253
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,623
vCash: 500
I hope gardiner recovers soon but good to see us still doing well without him. As well good to see rynas succeed

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 10:19 PM
  #254
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I hope gardiner recovers soon but good to see us still doing well without him. As well good to see rynas succeed
It's a good sign of whatcha call it? Oh ya Depth. But we got no good prospects or anything.


Rynass' already has the Marlies SO record? That's just crazy.

charliolemieux is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 10:26 PM
  #255
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,603
vCash: 500
There's no point in getting rid of him since his value is nothing. You just let him do his unproductive thing and hope he eventually figures it out. At this point, I don't expect anything out of him NHL wise, so it's all gravy if he does pan out.

Stephen is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 10:28 PM
  #256
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
It's a good sign of whatcha call it? Oh ya Depth. But we got no good prospects or anything.
The Marlies are doing pretty well, but their success is hardly driven by the embarrassment of riches we have prospect wise.

Stephen is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 10:31 PM
  #257
Bomber0104
Registered User
 
Bomber0104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
It's a good sign of whatcha call it? Oh ya Depth. But we got no good prospects or anything.


Rynass' already has the Marlies SO record? That's just crazy.
It's a veteran team sprinkled with a few Leafs prospects and players who have a future in the NHL (Gardiner, Frattin, Kadri, D'Amigo, Scrivens, Ranger).

Take a look around the league and you'll see it's ok but nothing special.

Bomber0104 is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 10:54 PM
  #258
frankthetank91
Registered User
 
frankthetank91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,777
vCash: 500
Anyone else want to see Hamilton on the Leafs 4th line at LW. He may be a careet AHLer but he's definately earned a shot.

frankthetank91 is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 11:00 PM
  #259
HeroNtF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 790
vCash: 500
Good on Rynnas for coming back from an injury with yet another good showing... For a Goalie all but written off in most peoples books after a rather bad record last year, he is definitely making it hard to read what we got, a goalie thats hot at the moment, or perhaps a man who's starting to adjust to the North American game. Hope he can keep it up !

HeroNtF is offline  
Old
12-17-2012, 12:40 AM
  #260
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,623
vCash: 500

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
12-17-2012, 07:41 AM
  #261
gabeliscious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,672
vCash: 500
i think colborne will benefit when the strike is over and a lot of players in the ahl are returned to their nhl clubs. on the marlies he will get much more ice time with kadri/frattin gone. he will also get more attention and coaching and be a go to guy. the competition of the ahl will also get slightly worse once some of these guys go back to the nhl.

he is coming along slowly. its tough to argue that but he has shown signs of breaking out. i think he just needs to find his groove and ride it. he is still young. its not completely impossible for him to get his **** together

gabeliscious is offline  
Old
12-17-2012, 07:54 AM
  #262
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroNtF View Post
Good on Rynnas for coming back from an injury with yet another good showing... For a Goalie all but written off in most peoples books after a rather bad record last year, he is definitely making it hard to read what we got, a goalie thats hot at the moment, or perhaps a man who's starting to adjust to the North American game. Hope he can keep it up !
Talent level was never in question IMO, it was his ability to remain consistent (and that includes consistently healthy). Perhaps the new goaltending coach is better suited for his style..then again it's only 5 games.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline  
Old
12-17-2012, 08:05 AM
  #263
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Patient folks, remember that he has tons of skill.
does he have tons of skill? what does he do really well?

Frankie is offline  
Old
12-17-2012, 08:10 AM
  #264
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
i think colborne will benefit when the strike is over and a lot of players in the ahl are returned to their nhl clubs. on the marlies he will get much more ice time with kadri/frattin gone. he will also get more attention and coaching and be a go to guy. the competition of the ahl will also get slightly worse once some of these guys go back to the nhl.
if and when the nhl lockout ends, colborne will also face the opposition's top defenders each night. he also won't have the same talented teammates he has now, and we hear plenty around here that our prospects need top-notch teammates to help make them look good.

so that can be spun anyway we want to spin it.

i don't see how a drop in quality competition would help him. it might make him look better in our eyes, but it won't help him become an nhler. put him in junior hockey right now, and he'll look amazing.

Frankie is offline  
Old
12-17-2012, 08:59 AM
  #265
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main
 
indigobuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winnipeg MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
does he have tons of skill? what does he do really well?
His strengths were good playmaking ability, a good set-up man and should he ever learn to use his size effectively, is a big body that can fight for space and press hard on the forecheck.

indigobuffalo is offline  
Old
12-17-2012, 09:18 AM
  #266
The Naz
With God given hands
 
The Naz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,380
vCash: 500
I loved that goal by Kadri. He passed it into the zone and kept the offense flowing, then goes to the net and gets rewarded for the beating. It shows his maturity as a prospect IMO. I didn't see the whole game, but doing the smart thing instead of the skilled thing all the time is good.

The Naz is offline  
Old
12-17-2012, 10:32 AM
  #267
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
i think colborne will benefit when the strike is over and a lot of players in the ahl are returned to their nhl clubs. on the marlies he will get much more ice time with kadri/frattin gone. he will also get more attention and coaching and be a go to guy. the competition of the ahl will also get slightly worse once some of these guys go back to the nhl.

he is coming along slowly. its tough to argue that but he has shown signs of breaking out. i think he just needs to find his groove and ride it. he is still young. its not completely impossible for him to get his **** together
The way his development is going, he won't even be good enough to play in front of a Spencer Abbott.

Stephen is offline  
Old
12-17-2012, 11:39 AM
  #268
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
I loved that goal by Kadri. He passed it into the zone and kept the offense flowing, then goes to the net and gets rewarded for the beating. It shows his maturity as a prospect IMO. I didn't see the whole game, but doing the smart thing instead of the skilled thing all the time is good.
The whole sequence leading up to that goal was exciting from a Kadri perspective, because he basically threw a huge hit on Aubry after I think Fraser nailed him already, which Hoggan took exception to. Hoggan went after Kadri, got the unsportsmanlike penalty and Kadri scores on the powerplay. It was kind of a pest sequence, but that's the kind of dirty Darcy Tucker skilled agitator we've been missing for years. Almost Jeremy Roenick like in a way.

Stephen is offline  
Old
12-17-2012, 12:10 PM
  #269
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
The Marlies are doing pretty well, but their success is hardly driven by the embarrassment of riches we have prospect wise.
Well they have a few nice forwards on the Marlies you could consider prospects, but yes they do dress a veteran d-group.

Would have been nice to see Jerome Flaake over on this side.

Granberg could be here next year, but 2011 is probably 2 years away to see the d-prospects.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline  
Old
12-17-2012, 01:04 PM
  #270
zeke
#TeamReimer
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 27,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Talent level was never in question IMO, it was his ability to remain consistent (and that includes consistently healthy). Perhaps the new goaltending coach is better suited for his style..then again it's only 5 games.
I still think his glovehand is a weakness, but maybe he can compensate for it with his huge frame and some better technique.

zeke is offline  
Old
12-17-2012, 01:14 PM
  #271
zeke
#TeamReimer
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 27,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
It's a veteran team sprinkled with a few Leafs prospects and players who have a future in the NHL (Gardiner, Frattin, Kadri, D'Amigo, Scrivens, Ranger).

Take a look around the league and you'll see it's ok but nothing special.
really it's just a sprinkling of non-prospect vets - Aucoin, Hamilton, Ziggy, Kostka, Ranger, Fraser. and one of those guys (Ranger) is a guy who we should be expecting to contribute to the big team in a significant role.

The rest are all prospects of some kind:

Frattin (24) - Kadri (22) - Abbott (24)
Ashton (21) - Colborne (22) - Deschamps (22)
D'Amigo (21) - McKegg (20) - Ross (20)/Ryan (21)

Gardiner (22) - Holzer (24)
Blacker (21)

Scrivens (26)
Rynnas (25)
Owuya (23)

zeke is offline  
Old
12-17-2012, 03:21 PM
  #272
Bomber0104
Registered User
 
Bomber0104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
really it's just a sprinkling of non-prospect vets - Aucoin, Hamilton, Ziggy, Kostka, Ranger, Fraser. and one of those guys (Ranger) is a guy who we should be expecting to contribute to the big team in a significant role.

The rest are all prospects of some kind:

Frattin (24) - Kadri (22) - Abbott (24)
Ashton (21) - Colborne (22) - Deschamps (22)
D'Amigo (21) - McKegg (20) - Ross (20)/Ryan (21)

Gardiner (22) - Holzer (24)
Blacker (21)

Scrivens (26)
Rynnas (25)
Owuya (23)
And the only ones who have a serious chance at an NHL career are Gardiner, Frattin, Kadri, D'Amigo, maybe Holzer too.

Bomber0104 is offline  
Old
12-17-2012, 04:03 PM
  #273
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
really it's just a sprinkling of non-prospect vets - Aucoin, Hamilton, Ziggy, Kostka, Ranger, Fraser. and one of those guys (Ranger) is a guy who we should be expecting to contribute to the big team in a significant role.

The rest are all prospects of some kind:

Frattin (24) - Kadri (22) - Abbott (24)
Ashton (21) - Colborne (22) - Deschamps (22)
D'Amigo (21) - McKegg (20) - Ross (20)/Ryan (21)

Gardiner (22) - Holzer (24)
Blacker (21)

Scrivens (26)
Rynnas (25)
Owuya (23)
Player Games Points Age PPG
Nazem Kadri 24 24 22 1
Matt Frattin 12 12 24 1
Keith Aucoin 24 24 34 1
Spencer Abbott 10 9 24 0.9
Mike Kostka 25 22 27 0.88
Jake Gardiner 22 17 22 0.77
Leo Komarov 14 9 25 0.64
Ryan Hamilton 23 13 27 0.57
Paul Ranger 21 12 28 0.57
Kenny Ryan 11 6 21 0.55
Mike Zigomanis 22 12 31 0.55
Simon Gysbers 13 6 25 0.46
Dylan Yeo 9 4 26 0.44
Will Acton 23 9 25 0.39
Greg McKegg 18 6 20 0.33
Carter Ashton 24 8 21 0.33
Jerry D'Amigo 21 7 21 0.33
Nicolas Deschamps 22 7 22 0.32
Joe Colborne 22 7 22 0.32
Greg Scott 22 7 24 0.32
Korbinian Holzer 22 6 24 0.27
Mark Fraser 21 4 26 0.19
Brad Ross 8 1 20 0.13
Jesse Blacker 17 2 21 0.12
Mark Owuya 4 0 23 0
Jussi Rynnas 5 0 25 0
Ben Scrivens 16 0 26 0

ULF_55 is offline  
Old
12-17-2012, 07:14 PM
  #274
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful
 
Tony Clifton Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
And the only ones who have a serious chance at an NHL career are Gardiner, Frattin, Kadri, D'Amigo, maybe Holzer too.
I'd say Ross, Ashton, Mckegg, Blacker and others are also solid prospecsts too.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline  
Old
12-17-2012, 09:41 PM
  #275
Bomber0104
Registered User
 
Bomber0104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
I'd say Ross, Ashton, Mckegg, Blacker and others are also solid prospecsts too.
I like McKegg and Ross out of those players but don't really expect them to be anything other than filler in the NHL.

Bomber0104 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.