HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Marlies Part I|24-14-2-2|Colborne and Ashton stepping up?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-17-2012, 11:23 PM
  #276
Captain Clutch 13
Registered User
 
Captain Clutch 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
I loved that goal by Kadri. He passed it into the zone and kept the offense flowing, then goes to the net and gets rewarded for the beating. It shows his maturity as a prospect IMO. I didn't see the whole game, but doing the smart thing instead of the skilled thing all the time is good.
He can drive the net very well when he wants to. Ive found he's better at it in the NHL but that could just be because he has to simplify his game more in the NHL than the A and he seems to be just overall more motivated and energetic in the NHL IMO. It is encouraging that he can score in tight in front of the net because his skill will only go so far in the NHL.

Captain Clutch 13 is offline  
Old
12-17-2012, 11:24 PM
  #277
hd1344
Registered User
 
hd1344's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Hammer
Country: Canada
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
Speaking of Ross, for those watching night in/night out, how has he looked recently since he started getting a regular shift and playing in the top 9. Has his overall effectiveness increased by being put with skilled players? Is he looking comfortable out there?

I watched him in Hamilton earlier this year, however he was limited to spot-duty on the 4th line, playing basically a chip & chase game with his very limited ice time.

I feel like Ross is one of those guys who suits and plays his role effectively, but yet seems to have enough skill that he wouldn't look lost if put in a 2nd line role for short periods of time due to injury/ineffectiveness/desire to shake things up.

hd1344 is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 08:35 AM
  #278
Stringer Bell
Registered User
 
Stringer Bell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
Crescenzi with 2 assists last night. 13 points in 18 games in the ECHL.

Never been a big fan of Ross. Love his agitating style but his actual raw skill has never been very good. Every prospects camp he attended he never stood out offensively. I don't think he out performed any of Carrick, Crescenzi, Devane, or Brenner enough to be the one who wasn't demoted to the ECHL, but his draft pedegree and popularity kept him with the Marlies.

I think in the end Jimmy Hayes will be the better player.

Stringer Bell is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 09:08 AM
  #279
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 56,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd1344 View Post
Speaking of Ross, for those watching night in/night out, how has he looked recently since he started getting a regular shift and playing in the top 9. Has his overall effectiveness increased by being put with skilled players? Is he looking comfortable out there?

I watched him in Hamilton earlier this year, however he was limited to spot-duty on the 4th line, playing basically a chip & chase game with his very limited ice time.

I feel like Ross is one of those guys who suits and plays his role effectively, but yet seems to have enough skill that he wouldn't look lost if put in a 2nd line role for short periods of time due to injury/ineffectiveness/desire to shake things up.
He's the second youngest player on the team, and with his role and style it might take some time to fit in. McKegg is youngest, but plays a different game. Dallas even said around training camp that he wanted to use McKegg within his strengths, so we can probably believe that he'd do the same for Ross.

I appears since Komarov left Ross has been given more opportunities, and since he's only played 8 games we should expect him to gain more comfort in his role with more time playing.

We just have to remain patient and not put undue pressure on these guys based on where drafted.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.

Last edited by ULF_55: 12-18-2012 at 09:20 AM.
ULF_55 is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 11:55 AM
  #280
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 32,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
Crescenzi with 2 assists last night. 13 points in 18 games in the ECHL.

Never been a big fan of Ross. Love his agitating style but his actual raw skill has never been very good. Every prospects camp he attended he never stood out offensively. I don't think he out performed any of Carrick, Crescenzi, Devane, or Brenner enough to be the one who wasn't demoted to the ECHL, but his draft pedegree and popularity kept him with the Marlies.

I think in the end Jimmy Hayes will be the better player.
I often wish the Leafs would go for those Calle Jarnkrok, Tomas Tatar type projects when they have second round picks. The upside is just worth the risk instead of a lot of low payoff guys we always seem to target.

Stephen is online now  
Old
12-18-2012, 01:39 PM
  #281
BlueBaron
Registered User
 
BlueBaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
really it's just a sprinkling of non-prospect vets - Aucoin, Hamilton, Ziggy, Kostka, Ranger, Fraser. and one of those guys (Ranger) is a guy who we should be expecting to contribute to the big team in a significant role.

The rest are all prospects of some kind:

Frattin (24) - Kadri (22) - Abbott (24)
Ashton (21) - Colborne (22) - Deschamps (22)
D'Amigo (21) - McKegg (20) - Ross (20)/Ryan (21)

Gardiner (22) - Holzer (24)
Blacker (21)

Scrivens (26)
Rynnas (25)
Owuya (23)
Look man, facts have no place in this conversation. They are all old, crappy and useless because Brian Burke is the devil, get with the program !

BlueBaron is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 01:43 PM
  #282
BlueBaron
Registered User
 
BlueBaron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
I like McKegg and Ross out of those players but don't really expect them to be anything other than filler in the NHL.
I like McKegg, I'm hoping he can one day be a 2nd line center. I'm a bit disappointed after the great preseason he had that he now seems to be struggling. I know it's a bit soon and there is a big jump from the CHL to the A but I was hoping he would shine more. I guess to some degree he is a victem of Kadri's success at center which is not so bad in the big picture.

BlueBaron is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 03:57 PM
  #283
Chips*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
I like McKegg, I'm hoping he can one day be a 2nd line center. I'm a bit disappointed after the great preseason he had that he now seems to be struggling. I know it's a bit soon and there is a big jump from the CHL to the A but I was hoping he would shine more. I guess to some degree he is a victem of Kadri's success at center which is not so bad in the big picture.
Considering he's just coming out of junior hockey with a very stacked AHL this year, 6 points in 18 games isn't terrible. At the moment I'm very satisfied with that production. Producing better than Colborne, anyway.

Chips* is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 04:18 PM
  #284
Bomber0104
Registered User
 
Bomber0104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
I like McKegg, I'm hoping he can one day be a 2nd line center. I'm a bit disappointed after the great preseason he had that he now seems to be struggling. I know it's a bit soon and there is a big jump from the CHL to the A but I was hoping he would shine more. I guess to some degree he is a victem of Kadri's success at center which is not so bad in the big picture.
He's shown me some good signs in the games I've seen him play. Seems to have good vision on the ice and is showing a willingness to play a checking game.

I'm sure by this time next year he'll have an idea of the expectations of pro hockey and be better equipped and learned to handle it.

Bomber0104 is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 04:20 PM
  #285
Bomber0104
Registered User
 
Bomber0104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
I think in the end Jimmy Hayes will be the better player.
Terrible trade. PLenty of useless bodies on the Leafs that could have been traded for the pick but instead Burke trades a good prospect like the idiot he is.

Bomber0104 is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 04:24 PM
  #286
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful
 
Tony Clifton Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Terrible trade. PLenty of useless bodies on the Leafs that could have been traded for the pick but instead Burke trades a good prospect like the idiot he is.
I'm sure the Blackhawks went into trade talks with the Leafs for the 43rd pick asking for useless bodies.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 04:26 PM
  #287
Bomber0104
Registered User
 
Bomber0104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
I'm sure the Blackhawks went into trade talks with the Leafs for the 43rd pick asking for useless bodies.
Useless to us, useful for them...?

Bomber0104 is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 04:30 PM
  #288
The Naz
With God given hands
 
The Naz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,529
vCash: 500
I don't think Jimmy Hayes will amount to much. I like the other things that Ross could bring to our team, other then scoring.

The Naz is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 04:32 PM
  #289
Bomber0104
Registered User
 
Bomber0104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
I don't think Jimmy Hayes will amount to much. I like the other things that Ross could bring to our team, other then scoring.
Okay well Jimmy Hayes has a better scoring rate at the NHL level than Brad Ross has in the AHL and is larger and more effective as a grinder so I really don't know what you're talking about.

It might be too early to say but I think Burke pulled off another stinker of a trade involving prospects.

Bomber0104 is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 04:40 PM
  #290
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Okay well Jimmy Hayes has a better scoring rate at the NHL level than Brad Ross has in the AHL and is larger and more effective as a grinder so I really don't know what you're talking about.

It might be too early to say but I think Burke pulled off another stinker of a trade involving prospects.
It is. Brad Ross just finished junior and this is his first year in the AHL. He's barely gotten playing time this year up until recently. Give it time..

Aside from his first 10 games or so, Jimmy Hayes hasn't even looked that great. His scoring rate in the AHL isn't even that special. Doubt he ends up more than a 3rd liner, and he's not even that physical.

LeafOfBread is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 04:47 PM
  #291
tpc77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Okay well Jimmy Hayes has a better scoring rate at the NHL level than Brad Ross has in the AHL and is larger and more effective as a grinder so I really don't know what you're talking about.

It might be too early to say but I think Burke pulled off another stinker of a trade involving prospects.
So you are going to take 30 games off a 22 year old in the NHL and 8 games of a 20 year old in the AHL and determine that one will absolutely have a better career than the other?

As you show in almost every thread.... you have numerous baseless arguments and you just like to hate on everything Leafs.

It's not even that you are arguing against Leaf players in most cases, its that you clearly take a quick one sided argument towards everything without putting anything in perspective/context or even make a fair assessment.

Sure, Jimmy Hayes very well could have the better career, but there is no way in hell to suggest this is an absolute fact.

You need something better to entertain yourself with...

tpc77 is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 04:47 PM
  #292
Bomber0104
Registered User
 
Bomber0104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
It is. Brad Ross just finished junior and this is his first year in the AHL. He's barely gotten playing time this year up until recently. Give it time..

Aside from his first 10 games or so, Jimmy Hayes hasn't even looked that great. His scoring rate in the AHL isn't even that special. Doubt he ends up more than a 3rd liner, and he's not even that physical.
Again, he has a better scoring rate at the NHL level than Ross does at the AHL level.

Do you honestly think Ross will be NHL ready next year because that would be the same timeline Hayes worked within.

So yeah, everything points to Hayes being the superior NHL player now and in the future. Ross has done dickity do.

Bomber0104 is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 04:51 PM
  #293
Rare Jewel
Patience
 
Rare Jewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Again, he has a better scoring rate at the NHL level than Ross does at the AHL level.

Do you honestly think Ross will be NHL ready next year because that would be the same timeline Hayes worked within.

So yeah, everything points to Hayes being the superior NHL player now and in the future. Ross has done dickity do.

He's played 8 pro games! /

Rare Jewel is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 04:55 PM
  #294
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,642
vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Again, he has a better scoring rate at the NHL level than Ross does at the AHL level.

Do you honestly think Ross will be NHL ready next year because that would be the same timeline Hayes worked within.

So yeah, everything points to Hayes being the superior NHL player now and in the future. Ross has done dickity do.
"Everything" being what? That Hayes cracked an NHL roster at 22 and Brad Ross is getting his feet wet in the AHL at 20?

Kyle Doobas is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 04:59 PM
  #295
ACC1224
vs. New Orleans
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 29,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
"Everything" being what? That Hayes cracked an NHL roster at 22 and Brad Ross is getting his feet wet in the AHL at 20?
Everything = not a Leaf

ACC1224 is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 05:00 PM
  #296
Bomber0104
Registered User
 
Bomber0104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
"Everything" being what?
The way he plays the game of hockey.

Bomber0104 is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 05:04 PM
  #297
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة
 
Bravid Nonahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: أور
Country: Syria
Posts: 10,338
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Again, he has a better scoring rate at the NHL level than Ross does at the AHL level.

Do you honestly think Ross will be NHL ready next year because that would be the same timeline Hayes worked within.

So yeah, everything points to Hayes being the superior NHL player now and in the future. Ross has done dickity do.
And Jeremy Williams had 5 goals in 11 games once, better than both of them.

Stop using such small sample sizes, it proves ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

Bravid Nonahan is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 05:07 PM
  #298
Bomber0104
Registered User
 
Bomber0104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
And Jeremy Williams had 5 goals in 11 games once, better than both of them.

Stop using such small sample sizes, it proves ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
What else do we have other than a small sample size for either player?

The fact is Jimmy Hayes is a better hockey player in just about every aspect of the game. So what? Why do you guys respond so defensively and get so bent out of shape over a simple fact?


Last edited by Bomber0104: 12-18-2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: i forgot a word
Bomber0104 is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 05:14 PM
  #299
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة
 
Bravid Nonahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: أور
Country: Syria
Posts: 10,338
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
What else do we have other than a small sample size for either player?

The fact is Jimmy Hayes is a better hockey player in just about every aspect of the game. So what? Why do you guys respond get so bent out of shape over a simple fact?
Sorry, no where in your series of posts do I find proof of the "simple fact" that Jimmy Hayes is "a better hockey player in just about every aspect of the game". In fact, why don't you list the aspects of the game you are referring to, and then give us some proof for each, without using 8 game sample sizes.

Bravid Nonahan is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 05:15 PM
  #300
Rare Jewel
Patience
 
Rare Jewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
What else do we have other than a small sample size for either player?

The fact is Jimmy Hayes is a better hockey player in just about every aspect of the game. So what? Why do you guys respond get so bent out of shape over a simple fact?
There's nothing wrong with you thinking Hayes is a good player, But it's your complete dismissal of Ross having a good NHL career based on only 8 pro games is what people have a problem with.

Rare Jewel is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.