HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1983-1984 Oilers

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2003, 10:36 AM
Sniperz25

vCash: 500
1983-1984 Oilers

I'm trying to re-create them in ESPN Hockey 2004. Could someone post the line combinations and d-pairings. Thanks for the help.

This is what I currently have, but I read somewhere that Anerson-Gretzky-Linsean was a line.

Semenko-Gretzky-Kurri
Andersn-Messier-Hunter
Hughes-Linseman-Lindstrom
McClelland-Pouzar-Lumley

Coffey-Huddy
Lowe-Fogolin
Gregg Jackson

Is this correct???????

Old
09-20-2003, 10:50 AM
Lowetide

They moved Messier from C to LW, and as I recall it might have been somewhere in the 83-84 season. I honestly don't remember that part of it. Here's what I recall (C-LW-RW):

Gretzky-Lindstrom-Kurri
Linseman-Messier-Anderson
McClelland-Hunter-Hughes

Then there was the mess that was Pat Conacher, Dave Lumley, Jaraslav Pouzar, Dave Semenko.

Conacher might play 3rd line center, Lumley often jumped up to Hughes spot, with Hughes sometimes joined the 99line, as did Pouzar and Semenko.

It was a dizzying combination to be honest, and I don't think they went 20 games the same way. Gretzky-Kurri and Messier-Anderson were often together, and Linesman, Hunter and Hughes all played solid minutes.

But there was alot of line juggling.

Old
09-20-2003, 10:52 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperz25
I'm trying to re-create them in ESPN Hockey 2004. Could someone post the line combinations and d-pairings. Thanks for the help.

This is what I currently have, but I read somewhere that Anerson-Gretzky-Linsean was a line.

Semenko-Gretzky-Kurri
Andersn-Messier-Hunter
Hughes-Linseman-Lindstrom
McClelland-Pouzar-Lumley

Coffey-Huddy
Lowe-Fogolin
Gregg Jackson

Is this correct???????
Hunter played with Hughes most of the time and I don't think he ever played on Mark's line, Linseman spent a lot of time with Mess and Anderson even though he was primarily a center on every other team.

I don't remember a lot about Willie Lindstrom, but I thought he was a center and Pouzar was a winger.

Old
09-20-2003, 11:07 AM
Sniperz25

How do these lines look????

(LW-C-RW)

Lindstrom-Gretzky-Kurri
Anderson-Messier-Linseman
McClelland-Hunter-Hughes
Semenko-Pouzar-Lumley

Old
09-20-2003, 12:31 PM
Lowetide

Quote:

(LW-C-RW)

Lindstrom-Gretzky-Kurri
McClelland-Hunter-Hughes
Semenko-Pouzar-Lumley
Looks good, except that Linseman took the faceoffs as I recall, he was very good at it. It would be more historically correct to flip him and Messier imo.

Also, I'm certain that Conacher played center down the stretch and into the playoffs that season, probably because of injury.

Old
09-20-2003, 02:07 PM
fedabiblio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Looks good, except that Linseman took the faceoffs as I recall, he was very good at it. It would be more historically correct to flip him and Messier imo.

Also, I'm certain that Conacher played center down the stretch and into the playoffs that season, probably because of injury.
You're old.

Old
09-20-2003, 02:28 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedabiblio
You're old.

SSsssshh. No one knows.

Old
09-20-2003, 02:30 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:

(LW-C-RW)

Lindstrom-Gretzky-Kurri
McClelland-Hunter-Hughes
Semenko-Pouzar-Lumley
Pouzar was brought here to play on the left wing of the G2K line but didn't fit like a glove all the time, the bottom 6 there are a blur for me but I do know that Hunter and Hughes were linemates for most of their games here.

I'd guess that Lindstrom or Conacher was the center on that 4th line.

Old
09-20-2003, 02:37 PM
fedabiblio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Pouzar was brought here to play on the left wing of the G2K line but didn't fit like a glove all the time, the bottom 6 there are a blur for me but I do know that Hunter and Hughes were linemates for most of their games here.

I'd guess that Lindstrom or Conacher was the center on that 4th line.
A bunch of trilobytes on this board I see.

Old
09-20-2003, 02:41 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
C'mon, they're not that old! I mean, even I remember those players and I was 9 when the Oilers won their first cup.

Must make me a trilobite as well.

Old
09-20-2003, 02:51 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
I'm no kid, but I can say that I was there during the glory years of professional sports in Edmonton.

I had season tickets to the Eskimos back in Clarke and Commonwealth Stadium (I sat in the knothole gang in Clarke, I don't think they have season's tix there but I went to every game) and witnessed the incredible run the Eskies had. The CFL was popular all across Canada back then and that was a big deal.

Then I got to watch the Oilers win 5 cups in the first eleven seasons of their existance.

Watched the Oilanders rule for team Canada...

Crazy times dude, that was a really great time to be a sports fan in Edm.

Old
09-20-2003, 02:58 PM
fedabiblio

Ya I wish I coulda been a part of that. I guess I kinda was. I was born in the grubby city of Edmonton in the year 1981 but then moved to the beautiful Okanagan in 1987. Can't really remember to much Oiler/Esk stuff other than my Dad being a crazy fan. Oiler's/Esks are in my blood.

Old
09-20-2003, 03:47 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMenace
C'mon, they're not that old! I mean, even I remember those players and I was 9 when the Oilers won their first cup.

Must make me a trilobite as well.
I was older than that when they won their first Stanley Cup but I am certainly not going to say how much older.

Though I don't think I am as old as Lowetide.

Old
09-20-2003, 03:55 PM
Fincan

In ESPN hockey abpout the only thing i know besides Messier being the number 2 Center and Gretz being number one is that the RW on the first line is not Kurri. Kurri is the 2nd line RW. If you go to edit the players and look at the birthplace you will see that it is actually the second line RW that was born in Finland and the 1st line RW was born in Canada.

Old
09-20-2003, 04:46 PM
Sniperz25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincan
In ESPN hockey abpout the only thing i know besides Messier being the number 2 Center and Gretz being number one is that the RW on the first line is not Kurri. Kurri is the 2nd line RW. If you go to edit the players and look at the birthplace you will see that it is actually the second line RW that was born in Finland and the 1st line RW was born in Canada.
Fincan, you really can't go by that or anything else when editing players besides ranking. That is one of the Flaws in the game. The Gretzky on the 93' Kings team is listed as being born in te Czech Republic.

Old
09-21-2003, 06:38 PM
fuhr

the 1983-84 team is great but if you want to create the best all round oiler team,for talent,it's the 1986-87 oilers.

Goalie

Fuhr-Moog

Forwards

Tikkanen-Gretzky-Kurri
Anderson-Messier-Nillson
McClelland-MacTavish-Hunter
McSorley-Kryshelnyski-Buchberger/Lemay

Defence

Coffey-Huddy
Lowe-Muni
Ruotsalainen-Smith

extra:Gregg

Gregg played when Muni got hurt and Buchberger played in the finals against the Flyers. Those top two lines are simply scary!!!!!This team,IMO,was the best Oiler team put together. The team is so much better than the '84 team just because they didn't count on Gretzky as much and they are much more balanced. Yet,i do understand why everyone loves that '84 team with all those goals and it was cup #1.

Old
09-21-2003, 06:41 PM
fuhr

By the way,Semenko did play with Gretzky at times in '84 along with the others mentioned. Also,Lindstrom did play with Messier and Anderson at times throughout the playoffs and in the finals.

Closed Thread