HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ott vs. Roy: Three letter names evoking 4-letter adjectives.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:15 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

vCash: 500
Ott vs. Roy: Three letter names evoking 4-letter adjectives.

Your thoughts on Steve Ott so far? Your sample size, impressions, etc.

I did not read TBN article posted after game #1.

5 games in;
I saw #1,2 in full on TV, #3 in person, and 3rd period only of games #4,#5 on TV. I think Ott is exactly what BUF needed. I was always neutral on Roy, recognizing him as BUF's #1 near-PPG, all-situations, 20-23+ minute center, but someone who wasn't going to lead BUF to the Cup. Plus, in my book, if you piss off the coach, you gotta go.

It has been a delight to watch a Center (vs. a wing a la #36, #82, #78) physically engage someone every shift, work hard, and be able to move up and down the lines as needed to fill in. I can overlook a couple of Ott's penalties for aggression vs. Roy's occasional penalties for laziness (hooks & trips). Different talents each. Bottom line, I think the Sabres are more difficult to play against with Ott in the lineup (and Hodgson as #1 C replacing Roy), than last year's lineup. The Sabres current record notwithstanding, of course.

Last edited by brian_griffin: 01-28-2013 at 02:22 PM.
brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:31 PM
HogtownSabresfan

I hate this more difficult to play against stuff. It's not difficult to play against teams with little talent and all aggression. You get banged around and win anyway. You need a guy like Ott but you also need scoring which Sabres have little of at this point. We got two years of Ott vs. one year left on Roy's deal. Major factor in judging deal.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
I hate this more difficult to play against stuff. It's not difficult to play against teams with little talent and all aggression. You get banged around and win anyway. You need a guy like Ott but you also need scoring which Sabres have little of at this point. We got two years of Ott vs. one year left on Roy's deal. Major factor in judging deal.
Well other than the first game, we haven't been aggressive at all either. Can't score, can't hit, can't defend, all our team can do is pray that Miller saves every shot.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

C.H.A.N.G.E.

Takes time.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:18 PM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 50
I've no problem with Ott so far...his legs are always moving and his mouth is always running...and unlike Kaleta I think Ott will stand behind his words more often if it comes to that...

ClearedButNotOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:30 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Stars placed Derek Roy on IR today. Groin injury.

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:00 AM
Crazy Tasty

I like the change.

It might not win us more games, but it sure adds some desperately needed spine to this team.

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:01 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

I'm in the minority, but trading your #1 C on a good contract for a glorified pest and a decent 3rd liner didn't really fulfill my fantasies about what they'd get back for Roy.

The only redeeming thing right now is that - after being an Iron Man for years - Roy has run into serious injury issues, including being placed on IR in Dallas as we speak.

I like Ott. But he's not the answer to any of the Sabres issues.

Beneath all the "they're soft" talk, the major issues since the captains left have been the same - the talent was, all of sudden, not enough.
Not on the top-end, not on depth. Not enough talent and depth to cover for the off-nights or rough stretches or injuries (which happen to every team).

Look at the roster and see how many "complete" scoring forwards they got. Only the Caps have less.

But yeah, my issue isn't with Ott. He's a good player and will contribute to the club (not on the #1 PP unit though, wtf....).

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:17 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
I'm in the minority, but trading your #1 C on a good contract for a glorified pest and a decent 3rd liner didn't really fulfill my fantasies about what they'd get back for Roy.

The only redeeming thing right now is that - after being an Iron Man for years - Roy has run into serious injury issues, including being placed on IR in Dallas as we speak.

I like Ott. But he's not the answer to any of the Sabres issues.

Beneath all the "they're soft" talk, the major issues since the captains left have been the same - the talent was, all of sudden, not enough.
Not on the top-end, not on depth. Not enough talent and depth to cover for the off-nights or rough stretches or injuries (which happen to every team).

Look at the roster and see how many "complete" scoring forwards they got. Only the Caps have less.

But yeah, my issue isn't with Ott. He's a good player and will contribute to the club (not on the #1 PP unit though, wtf....).

Um, Ott was aquired to fill a need for toughness thru aggressive play. Any goals/assists he gets is a nice added bonus. It was a NEED this team lacked. Last year, Kaleta and McCormick were simply not enough. Now with Foligno and Scott on the team as well, this team is "tougher". But now scoring is a little lacking.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:00 AM
Imlach a cup

I think currently we are in a franchise defining transition stage. Darcy has acquired a massive amount of young talent with a handful of veterans to pull much of the load. The next step was to protect that talent while it develops. Ott and Scott fit that bill and so far Ott has handled it very well. At the end of the day we were gonna lose Roy at the end of this season, he wasn't part of this teams plans and we filled a need trading him. Overall at this very early stage I give it a 7/10. Good trade for the team but it has created a hole in the very short term, probably a hole that won't be addressed long term until Girgensons is ready for NHL duty.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Dutchess
HFB Partner

In a vaccuum, I love Otter. He's fast, physical, aggressive. He brings to the team an element it does not posess. Whether or not the team scores around him isn't on him.

Dutchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:45 PM
michaelsaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDrama21 View Post
In a vaccuum, I love Otter. He's fast, physical, aggressive. He brings to the team an element it does not posess. Whether or not the team scores around him isn't on him.
I imagine it would be very difficult for him to skate in a vacuum. I think I'd prefer him on the ice.

michaelsaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:55 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Ott got rag-dolled by Gleason. We didn't get tougher, we just got one more guy for other teams to beat up. Trading talent for grit is a mistake, especially when you are already thin on talent.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:15 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

The Sabres are a bad hockey team, with a bad coach, a bad GM and a clueless owner.

Ott has been fine though.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote