HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Brian Leetch - Toronto Maple Leafs

Old
12-06-2012, 02:45 AM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
What really surprised me after watching him play for the Leafs, was how good he was defensively.
I'm glad another fanbase got to see it besides the people here in New York

People look at his totals and think he was a 4th forward who couldn't point out his own zone on a map. That wasn't the case at all.

He was never very physical, but he had excellent instincts and knew where to position himself on the ice. That helped him score alot but it also translated to the other end.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:17 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post

People look at his totals and think he was a 4th forward who couldn't point out his own zone on a map. That wasn't the case at all.

He was never very physical, but he had excellent instincts and knew where to position himself on the ice. That helped him score alot but it also translated to the other end.
Thats because when Rangers didn't do very good, Leetch defensive abilities sunk for awhile in the deadpuck era (maybe because the pressure on him to perform offensively and as a captain were a bit too much for him), he was definitly no Coffey nor Housley though.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Thats because when Rangers didn't do very good, Leetch defensive abilities sunk for awhile in the deadpuck era (maybe because the pressure on him to perform offensively and as a captain were a bit too much for him), he was definitly no Coffey nor Housley though.
I'd argue that he was at least as good as Housley, if not better. Better points per game despite playing in a less offensive era. Same number of PPG seasons (5). Broke 100 points, which Housley never did. 2 Norris Trophies.

And obviously the Conn Smythe. Breaking 30 points in the playoffs is something even Coffey only did once. Housley never really had that opportunity though.

I watched both players. Housley was awesome, but I wouldn't say he was better than Leetch.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Crease

Quote:
I'll give you Coffey but Leetch was distinctively better than Housley, and has the accolades to back it up.

Housley:
NHL All-Rookie Team (1983)
Second Team All-Star (1992)
Second Runner-Up Norris Trophy (1992)

Leetch:
NHL All-Rookie Team (1989)
Calder Mem Trophy (1989)
First Team All-Star (1992, 1997)
Second Team All-Star (1991, 1994, 1996)
Conn Smythe (1994)
Norris Trophy (1992, 1997)

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:16 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I'll give you Coffey but Leetch was distinctively better than Housley, and has the accolades to back it up.

Housley:
NHL All-Rookie Team (1983)
Second Team All-Star (1992)
Second Runner-Up Norris Trophy (1992)

Leetch:
NHL All-Rookie Team (1989)
Calder Mem Trophy (1989)
First Team All-Star (1992, 1997)
Second Team All-Star (1991, 1994, 1996)
Conn Smythe (1994)
Norris Trophy (1992, 1997)
What I meant were that he werent as bad on defense as Coffey and Housley. He is definitly better than Housley in any way possible.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Don't want to put words in jkrx's mouth...but I took his post as meaning, "Leetch wasn't as bad defensively as Coffey and Housley" ...could be wrong though.

EDIT: Well...that was settled before I could hit "reply"...I'll be over here if you need me...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Jax Teller

Quote:

He wasn't a very physical player. Although, I remember two instances while he was a member of the Leafs where he just killed someone open ice. The one I remember the best was in Florida, he nailed Mikeal Samuelsson and injured him, I believe he had to leave the game with a broken arm or something. But, after the hit Darcy Hordichuk tossed off the mitts and went after Leetch. Good thing for Leetch, Bryan McCabe did the honourable thing and tossed his mitts down and jumped in Hordichuk's way.

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Crease

Quote:
What I meant were that he werent as bad on defense as Coffey and Housley. He is definitly better than Housley in any way possible.

Sorry about that jkrx. I see what you meant now.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:56 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post

Sorry about that jkrx. I see what you meant now.
No, need to apologize. I should probably had made it more clear since more than one responded like you did.

Old
12-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Big Phil

Quote:

Yes, I never thought a team was in danger if Leetch was playing defense. He was capable of doing it on his own. He wasn't lazy, and didn't get caught out of position despite rushing the puck a lot. He wasn't Scott Stevens in the physical department when it came to hitting but it wasn't his style. He was not a liability in his own end.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Almighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthroughforest View Post
What? The Leafs were lucky to be in that series.
I'm sorry, but what?

Almighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I'd argue that he was at least as good as Housley, if not better. Better points per game despite playing in a less offensive era. Same number of PPG seasons (5). Broke 100 points, which Housley never did. 2 Norris Trophies.

And obviously the Conn Smythe. Breaking 30 points in the playoffs is something even Coffey only did once. Housley never really had that opportunity though.

I watched both players. Housley was awesome, but I wouldn't say he was better than Leetch.
Housley and Coffey are being used in the pejorative sense in this case.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Raging Bull

I was lucky enough to go to Leetch's first game as a Leaf vs the Islanders. I think he had 3 or 4 assists, he was definitely setting up McCabe on the PP all night and later on they kept trying to set up Leetch for a goal. Terrific in his stint with the Leafs, nothing to complain about.

I'm pretty sure I remember being on these boards on the time and the general consensus was that of the available offensive defenseman, most people wanted to get Gonchar, Leetch was pretty much a consolation.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote