Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBRUIN View Post
You're a "little" concerned about his defense, and the rest of the world is extremely concerned about Iggy's bat.

As far as too big to play the position, ARod was 6'3" 190lbs his rookie year. Xander is 6'3" 175lbs right now. Again size isn't really a concern he just needs to play good defense. He won't be ARod, but he needs to be efficient.
This is true and I've made the same argument before, but the thing about Iglesias is that he's pretty much what he's always going to be right now. Bogaerts is much more raw and still has more than a few things to work on. If I have the choice of which one to jerk around in the event of injury, it's Iglesias every time.

He's not so much blocking Bogaerts as functioning as a shock absorber so Bogaerts can get in all the work he still needs to get in before being promoted even if Drew goes down in April.

Since Ciriaco would be getting most of the starts when and if Drew went down, calling up Bogaerts to warm a bench would be a complete waste of time for a franchise-critical prospect.

Although in fairness, I'd forgotten about Ivan Dejesus. I suppose if he's going to be in the minors, he'd be closer to the ideal of a utility guy. Iggy coming in as a LIDR or another nontraditional form of utility INF could still be quite useful however.

Last edited by Dojji*: 12-17-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old
12-17-2012, 01:04 PM
kman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
This is true and I've made the same argument before, but the thing about Iglesias is that he's pretty much what he's always going to be right now. Bogaerts is much more raw and still has more than a few things to work on. If I have the choice of which one to jerk around in the event of injury, it's Iglesias every time.

He's not so much blocking Bogaerts as functioning as a shock absorber so Bogaerts can get in all the work he still needs to get in before being promoted even if Drew goes down in April.

Since Ciriaco would be getting most of the starts when and if Drew went down, calling up Bogaerts to warm a bench would be a complete waste of time for a franchise-critical prospect.

Although in fairness, I'd forgotten about Ivan Dejesus. I suppose if he's going to be in the minors, he'd be closer to the ideal of a utility guy. Iggy coming in as a LIDR or another nontraditional form of utility INF could still be quite useful however.
I honestly think Iglesias has a much higher ceiling than a LIDR. He's 22. Give him time. He's been age advanced at every level.

Old
12-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Not sure how relevant that is under the circumstances. I'm not sure he's ever going to hit even .240.

Anyway, the point is that Iglesias would be useful right where he is for the depth he represents, and I suspect you'd agree with at least that much.

Old
12-17-2012, 01:29 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I like the Drew signing. Everyone loves Igiesias' glove but his bat needs development. What if Xander develops before then?

Old
12-17-2012, 01:51 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
one of the weirdest off seasons I've ever seen here

different than the Darwin, Clark, Young roundup where they just wanted someone to play here

this offseason is equivalent to being told 'you can order off that side of the menu' lots of decent stuff but nothing that you just have to have; pricey and somewhat necessary filler

truly this is what a bridge looks like- they are going to put out major league players who have had success and hope the right hand can win enough, while the left hand develops a bunch of prospects

The Sox would love to do a Bruins 2008

as for Napoli- what is going on? I'd have rather had LaRoche and correct me if he hasn't signed yet, but he fits much better allaround with this team

Ellsbury (above avg defender)
Victorino (above defender)
Pedroia (above defender
Ortiz
LaRoche (above avg defender)
Middlebrooks (can be much better in the field not Dr Strangeglove)

not a bad first 6

cant understand the Napoli signing if they could get LaRoche for the same dollars and the word is they now could

Old
12-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Laroche can't provide redundancy at catcher as well as 90-110 games of 1B.

Old
12-17-2012, 01:57 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
one of the weirdest off seasons I've ever seen here

different than the Darwin, Clark, Young roundup where they just wanted someone to play here

this offseason is equivalent to being told 'you can order off that side of the menu' lots of decent stuff but nothing that you just have to have; pricey and somewhat necessary filler

truly this is what a bridge looks like- they are going to put out major league players who have had success and hope the right hand can win enough, while the left hand develops a bunch of prospects

The Sox would love to do a Bruins 2008

as for Napoli- what is going on? I'd have rather had LaRoche and correct me if he hasn't signed yet, but he fits much better allaround with this team

Ellsbury (above avg defender)
Victorino (above defender)
Pedroia (above defender
Ortiz
LaRoche (above avg defender)
Middlebrooks (can be much better in the field not Dr Strangeglove)

not a bad first 6

cant understand the Napoli signing if they could get LaRoche for the same dollars and the word is they now could
You hearing any rumors on this? It's so weird. It has that Jeff Green feel from last year, as if the physical revealed a medical/health issue that they're not ready to discuss yet.

Old
12-17-2012, 01:59 PM
CDJ

There was a rumor the other day that if the Napoli deal were to fall through, we would give LaRoche the same contract offered to Napoli.

Old
12-17-2012, 02:26 PM
kman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
There was a rumor the other day that if the Napoli deal were to fall through, we would give LaRoche the same contract offered to Napoli.
Laroche won't be given that offer, again it requires a draft pick. The report said the writer thought they'd be able to offer laroche napoli's money, not that they would, assuming we read the same one. Otherwise, i read a contrasting article.

Old
12-17-2012, 02:36 PM
CDJ

Not sure- I'll go try and find the article I read and reread it. I'd prefer Napoli because of the whole compensation thing anyway. The deal will get done with him. Still not all that concerned about it

Old
12-17-2012, 02:37 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I know there is really no such thing as a bad 1 year contract....but giving Drew 9-10 million seems like a pretty big overpay. Who else was offering anything close to that?

Old
12-17-2012, 02:39 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
Not sure- I'll go try and find the article I read and reread it. I'd prefer Napoli because of the whole compensation thing anyway. The deal will get done with him. Still not all that concerned about it
Me either. I figure they are just re-writing some of the language in the contract to protect themselves....maybe because they did find something that slightly concerned them. But I can't see them voiding the deal.

Old
12-17-2012, 02:47 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Me either. I figure they are just re-writing some of the language in the contract to protect themselves....maybe because they did find something that slightly concerned them. But I can't see them voiding the deal.
Think back to the Bay deal and JD Drew one though. They found some things in those physicals and added language as protection, but the reasons the deals were delayed were well known. With this, it's all so hush hush that it gives off the air of being different.

Old
12-17-2012, 03:10 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

other teams kicked the tires on drew, but the consensus was that he'd get a 2 year deal.

getting a boras client on a one year deal is good.

Old
12-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

He needed to rebuild his value and we needed a shortstop. If he does what his talent says he can do, it'll be a great signing.

Old
12-17-2012, 03:17 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

the money thing is going to bother a lot of people but money isn't a problem short term.

deals like the ones they gave to the dodgers were a problem long term.

rolling the dice on a 29 year old shortstop on a one year contract isn't a problem from where i'm sitting. if drew gets hurt, iglesias steps in and shows everyone why he shouldn't be in the majors. no biggie.

Old
12-17-2012, 04:25 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
I know there is really no such thing as a bad 1 year contract....but giving Drew 9-10 million seems like a pretty big overpay. Who else was offering anything close to that?
Dunno.

But the Red Sox are a rich team and were looking at finishing 4th-5th in the division which is unacceptable. Overpaying on very short deals is a good move for the franchise. They cannot sell a full blown rebuild to fans.

Is baseball, they play 81 home games, and most seats cost 100-50 bucks in our stadium instead of 20-30 elsewhere around the MLB.

The signing is fully justified and a good one. I see some pretty nice pop 1-9 in the order now. Drew will probably hit 7 or 8.

Old
12-17-2012, 05:20 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Pleased with the Drew signing. Would like to see them re-up Cody Ross, and sign a platoon first baseman; maybe Lance Berkman?

Right now, I think they have a reasonable shot at being a very low end contending team. They have done a good job of removing the rotten core, and still keeping all their prospects.

Old
12-17-2012, 05:53 PM
JRull86
Formerly Guiledoom

I trade Ellsbury, and re-sign Ross, but hold onto Lester and hope he rebounds. At the worst he's a pretty decent #2/good #3.

Assuming the Napoli thing gets worked out, I actually like the lineup.

This team can absolutely contend if they get okay starting pitching and hit the ball. As long as the back end of their pen works out the way it's supposed to they should be in the 85+ wins area.

Old
12-17-2012, 07:27 PM
kman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Think back to the Bay deal and JD Drew one though. They found some things in those physicals and added language as protection, but the reasons the deals were delayed were well known. With this, it's all so hush hush that it gives off the air of being different.
They were assumed, no one came out and said why there was a hold up in the drew deal or bay's negotiations.

Old
12-17-2012, 08:21 PM
MioneRask134
Queen in the North

Gotta add that Bogaerts might not even stick with being a SS.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:11 PM
JRull86
Formerly Guiledoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
Gotta add that Bogaerts might not even stick with being a SS.
This. He more than likely ends up in the OF.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:36 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

I like the Drew signing as well. He'll be a decent stop gap while the kids get ready.

I seem to remember when Drew was going to be the next big thing at SS. He never lived up to the hype, but he's a decent mitt and ok at the plate. If he can go back to his 2010 form, then I think it would be a good signing for the Red Sox.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Shaun

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi
Polled 20 scouts and execs tonight, asked them to pick AL East winner if season started today: TOR-13, NYY-5, TB-1, BAL-1, BOS-0. @MLBONFOX

Old
12-17-2012, 10:09 PM
KCBRUIN
Tuukka Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi
Polled 20 scouts and execs tonight, asked them to pick AL East winner if season started today: TOR-13, NYY-5, TB-1, BAL-1, BOS-0. @MLBONFOX
So you're saying there's a chance... Oh wait.

Closed Thread