HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Sox/MLB 2012 Thread Part XXI-Maybe a Banner Year

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-22-2012, 09:21 PM
  #751
kman22
Registered User
 
kman22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Which given what the Pirates have available, is why I thought of Garret Jones.
Maybe we will get real lucky and get Alex Dickerson.

kman22 is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 09:22 PM
  #752
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew
 
Kelly23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 5,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
One of the worst bullpens in the league last year should be a lot better. Too many deflating blown saves and horrendous middle relief from last year's crop of bums.
Aceves is not a closer he was forced into that role but I though they did ok Miller had a good year Atchison was good.

Hanrahan will give roles to everybody witch is the most improtant part of this deal imo.

Best Case
MR LR Mortenson/Hill/Atchison
lefty Breslow Miller
6th Uehara- makes this pen look really deep.
6th Aceves - Not sure if I even want his attitude but if he pitches like his first year
7th Bailey- less presure might be a good thing might be a bad thing
8th Bard ( Biggest question on team hell in baseball)
9th Hanrahan- should get the job done.

IF Aceves and Bard pitch like they can and Bailey stays healthy this is the best Pen in baseball, shorten the game let this line-up get a lead let the starter get through the order twice and set loose the big guns

ala Bard Wagner Pap- if thats what we get this year we will be talking play-offs.(for that we only need three of the five 6-9 guys I listed witch increases the odds a little.)


Last edited by Kelly23: 12-22-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Kelly23 is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 09:41 PM
  #753
kman22
Registered User
 
kman22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly23 View Post
Aceves is not a closer he was forced into that role but I though they did ok Miller had a good year Atchison was good.

Hanrahan will give roles to everybody witch is the most improtant part of this deal imo.

Best Case
MR LR Mortenson/Hill/Atchison
lefty Breslow Miller
6th Uehara- makes this pen look really deep.
6th Aceves - Not sure if I even want his attitude but if he pitches like his first year
7th Bailey- less presure might be a good thing might be a bad thing
8th Bard ( Biggest question on team hell in baseball)
9th Hanrahan- should get the job done.

IF Aceves and Bard pitch like they can and Bailey stays healthy this is the best Pen in baseball, shorten the game let this line-up get a lead let the starter get through the order twice and set loose the big guns

ala Bard Wagner Pap- if thats what we get this year we will be talking play-offs.(for that we only need three of the five 6-9 guys I listed witch increases the odds a little.)
If chapman stays in the pen, the reds have the best pen in baseball. That said, this could be much improved, especially with a healthy bailey.

kman22 is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 09:49 PM
  #754
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew
 
Kelly23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 5,353
vCash: 500
I have a good feeling about this team I think Lester and Lackey bounce back Bard gets his head back.

The clubhouse has been rid of 90% of the problems and has been givn a good boost,

If I were to grade them

Intangables A- Farrell should be able the round up the troops, Good clubhouse
Bullpen A+ I really believe it will be the best is baseball
Line-up B No three hitter but plenty of power throughout well rounded added a few battlers
Defense OF B+ Victorino and Ells should have 80% of the field on lockdown
Defense Inf C+ Pedy is great but Napoli WMB and Drew have there holes
Starters B Buchholtz has a steller year Lester, Lackey bounce back Dempster is an ok 3

Kelly23 is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 10:00 PM
  #755
CDJ*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cape Cod
Country: United States
Posts: 8,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
One of the worst bullpens in the league last year should be a lot better. Too many deflating blown saves and horrendous middle relief from last year's crop of bums.

edit: I just read it's a SIX player trade, with two coming Boston's way.
Welcome to 5pm

But as for your first point, that is spot on. Those types of losses are deflating and can lead to a team spiraling. It kills all momentum

CDJ* is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 10:16 PM
  #756
kman22
Registered User
 
kman22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,620
vCash: 500
If the team really turns it around, it's going to be critical that they really make an A+ pick with the #7. It's likely the highest pick they will have for the foreseeable future, and should be a piece to build around. Just don't miss. That could be crippling. Now that the compensation for free agents is only a sandwich pick at most, it becomes tougher to build through the farm and have a good team. HOWEVER, if they tank this year, they get two shots, so we'll see.

kman22 is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 10:41 PM
  #757
CDJ*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cape Cod
Country: United States
Posts: 8,595
vCash: 500
In sad news, former big leaguer Ryan Freel killed himself today. He was 36. Tragic

He was a pretty solid player over a 3-4 year span with the Reds. He had a couple of significant head injuries

CDJ* is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 11:01 PM
  #758
MioneRask134
Registered User
 
MioneRask134's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hogwarts-617
Country: United States
Posts: 10,998
vCash: 500
Any chance we sign Swisher now that Ross is gone?

Could help at first if Napoli goes down.

MioneRask134 is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 11:41 PM
  #759
kman22
Registered User
 
kman22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
In sad news, former big leaguer Ryan Freel killed himself today. He was 36. Tragic

He was a pretty solid player over a 3-4 year span with the Reds. He had a couple of significant head injuries
I started seeing the RIP tweets about 15 minutes ago, I hadn't seen what happened. That's terrible.

kman22 is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 11:42 PM
  #760
kman22
Registered User
 
kman22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
Any chance we sign Swisher now that Ross is gone?

Could help at first if Napoli goes down.
I hope not. I really hope not.

kman22 is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 12:10 AM
  #761
MioneRask134
Registered User
 
MioneRask134's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hogwarts-617
Country: United States
Posts: 10,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman22 View Post
I hope not. I really hope not.
Personally Id like it. The guy is a baffoon. Millar type baffoon. But he'd bring great laughter to this team.


One thing that's interesting is Michael Bourn. He's still on the market. I thought for sure he'd already be signed.

MioneRask134 is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 12:14 AM
  #762
kman22
Registered User
 
kman22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
Personally Id like it. The guy is a baffoon. Millar type baffoon. But he'd bring great laughter to this team.


One thing that's interesting is Michael Bourn. He's still on the market. I thought for sure he'd already be signed.
I still wouldn't give up the draft pick. If it weren't for the draft pick, I'd say go for it. But no thanks, gotta keep at least one eye on the future.

kman22 is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 12:22 AM
  #763
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86
 
Guiledoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Bing, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,705
vCash: 500
Pass on any OF/1B type that requires a pick

Guiledoom is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 01:28 AM
  #764
MioneRask134
Registered User
 
MioneRask134's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hogwarts-617
Country: United States
Posts: 10,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman22 View Post
I still wouldn't give up the draft pick. If it weren't for the draft pick, I'd say go for it. But no thanks, gotta keep at least one eye on the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
Pass on any OF/1B type that requires a pick

Why do I keep forgetting the draft pick? Ugh. No wonder not many teams are going after him.



Quick, someone entice the Dodgers for Ethier.

MioneRask134 is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 03:09 AM
  #765
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bay Area, California
Country: United States
Posts: 10,281
vCash: 500
I read something about Swisher going to the Indians

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 09:46 AM
  #766
CDJ*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cape Cod
Country: United States
Posts: 8,595
vCash: 500
He has met with the Indians. I would predict them as the most likely destination.

Obviously with the Hanrahan deal, they are waiting for the physicals to be passed to announce the rest. I wonder if Bard is in the deal...I could see something being wrong in his physical.

CDJ* is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 10:25 AM
  #767
CDJ*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cape Cod
Country: United States
Posts: 8,595
vCash: 500
....and Swisher signs with the Indians for 4/56

CDJ* is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 10:32 AM
  #768
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong
 
Topshelf8188's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,992
vCash: 500
Maybe we got McCutchen. Blockbustah. Lol.

Topshelf8188 is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 10:55 AM
  #769
robert terwilliger
the bart, the
 
robert terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: sw florida
Country: United States
Posts: 19,208
vCash: 500
that's a lot of ****ing money for swisher.

robert terwilliger is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 11:22 AM
  #770
Alicat
Charge!
 
Alicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BOSTON
Country: United States
Posts: 22,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
In sad news, former big leaguer Ryan Freel killed himself today. He was 36. Tragic

He was a pretty solid player over a 3-4 year span with the Reds. He had a couple of significant head injuries
Hope he is at peace. I remember that collision being shown over and over again on Sportscenter. Reminded me of the Johnny Damon and Damien Jackson collision. I did see on his Wikipedia page an excerpt from an article that he admitted in an interview he hears and talks to a voice in his head named Farney.

This isn't directed at you btw but it seems like every time a pro athlete kills themselves, people immediately start pinning all of this on concussions. Another reason to start taking mental health issues seriously in this country and in athletics specifically.

__________________
"I choose to focus on the things I CAN do and am passionate about." - Sam Berns

I am Boston Strong
6.15.11
4.15.13

Alicat is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 07:24 PM
  #771
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest
 
BostonBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
that's a lot of ****ing money for swisher.
$ 14 million a year is way too much $$$ for a guy that has never had a 100 RBI season or hit at least .290 in any season. For Pete's sake - his career batting average is .256 !!!

BostonBob is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 07:33 PM
  #772
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 22,118
vCash: 500
I did not want Swisher, let me make that clear.

But he did have an OPS+ of 126 last year. Tying for his career best.

But oh man Josh Reddick is sooooooo greeeeeeat.

EverettMike is online now  
Old
12-23-2012, 08:17 PM
  #773
robert terwilliger
the bart, the
 
robert terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: sw florida
Country: United States
Posts: 19,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBob View Post
$ 14 million a year is way too much $$$ for a guy that has never had a 100 RBI season or hit at least .290 in any season. For Pete's sake - his career batting average is .256 !!!
sometimes i feel like you're winding me up

robert terwilliger is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 08:37 PM
  #774
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 22,118
vCash: 500
Nick Swisher has had a sneaky good career.

EverettMike is online now  
Old
12-23-2012, 08:45 PM
  #775
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest
 
BostonBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBob View Post
$ 14 million a year is way too much $$$ for a guy that has never had a 100 RBI season or hit at least .290 in any season. For Pete's sake - his career batting average is .256 !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
sometimes i feel like you're winding me up
Unintentionally I assure you.



Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Nick Swisher has had a sneaky good career.
I agree but I don't think " good " players should make $ 14 million a year.

BostonBob is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.