I'm glad we're on the same page here.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:33 PM
JRull86
Formerly Guiledoom

vCash: 500
Uehara last year:

1.75 ERA, 0.64 WHIP and 43/3 K/BB ratio in 36 innings

That's incredible. Granted it's a small sample size innings wise, but 3 walks? That's a walk every 12IP...incredible control.

Loving this signing, very slick move from Ben.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:36 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
Uehara last year:

1.75 ERA, 0.64 WHIP and 43/3 K/BB ratio in 36 innings

That's incredible. Granted it's a small sample size innings wise, but 3 walks? That's a walk every 12IP...incredible control.

Loving this signing, very slick move from Ben.
It is like an "Anti-Victorino."

Old
12-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

I think this signals that the team is going to look to move Morales into the rotation and roll with what they have otherwise, in terms of SP. Granted, even if they weren't, Uehara still helps them, but the fact that they're not obviously "in" on any of the remaining FA SP, means to me that they're likely to try something unconventional, and Morales to the rotation is by far the least stupid of the unconventional moves.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:06 PM
JRull86
Formerly Guiledoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
I think this signals that the team is going to look to move Morales into the rotation and roll with what they have otherwise, in terms of SP. Granted, even if they weren't, Uehara still helps them, but the fact that they're not obviously "in" on any of the remaining FA SP, means to me that they're likely to try something unconventional, and Morales to the rotation is by far the least stupid of the unconventional moves.
I read a report in the Globe or on extra bases the other day that Farrell told Morales to come to spring training with the intent to start.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:18 PM
kman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Maybe, but they were in on Haren and they've been in on Dempster. Also, Jurrjens, Marcum, McCarthy, Liriano, Lohse, Jackson, and Lannan are still available. I'd be genuinely surprised if they're not at least discussing some, or all, of those guys. Either way, Morales will get another crack at starting, because they have so much bullpen depth, even before Uehara was signed there was a surplus.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:23 PM
JRull86
Formerly Guiledoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman22 View Post
Maybe, but they were in on Haren and they've been in on Dempster. Also, Jurrjens, Marcum, McCarthy, Liriano, Lohse, Jackson, and Lannan are still available. I'd be genuinely surprised if they're not at least discussing some, or all, of those guys. Either way, Morales will get another crack at starting, because they have so much bullpen depth, even before Uehara was signed there was a surplus.
Honestly Haren was the only one out of that group I'd take a flyer on. I like McCarthy, but his injury is concerning. Jurrjens...dude's been absolutely horrible for over a year. Marcum is meh, as is Jackson. Liriano is an injury waiting to happen, Lohse never's done it for me either, he'll stay in the NL if he knows what's good for him. Depmster is a fraud.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:46 PM
kman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
Honestly Haren was the only one out of that group I'd take a flyer on. I like McCarthy, but his injury is concerning. Jurrjens...dude's been absolutely horrible for over a year. Marcum is meh, as is Jackson. Liriano is an injury waiting to happen, Lohse never's done it for me either, he'll stay in the NL if he knows what's good for him. Depmster is a fraud.
I'm not saying that any of them is the second coming or anything, but I'd be surprised if they weren't looking at these guys. They need pitching, but don't want a long term commitment. I'd hope that they pass on Lohse since he requires the draft pick, but other than that, any of these guys would be okay for what they need them for. Short term, quality starter, takes some of the stress off of the other starters/bullpen guys.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:14 PM
JRull86
Formerly Guiledoom

Quote:
I'm not saying that any of them is the second coming or anything, but I'd be surprised if they weren't looking at these guys. They need pitching, but don't want a long term commitment. I'd hope that they pass on Lohse since he requires the draft pick, but other than that, any of these guys would be okay for what they need them for. Short term, quality starter, takes some of the stress off of the other starters/bullpen guys.
Out of that group I could live with Lannan and McCarthy. Liriano is too much of an injur concern and has lost something because of the shoulder and arm problems. I think I stay away from everyone else on that list.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:22 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
The guy instantly helps every lineup.

Clearly the Red Sox don't like his makeup for Boston if they don't match a 3 year 75 million dollar deal.
I'd take Hamilton at 3 for 75 over Victorino and Napoli at 3 each for a total of 78. but thats me.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:39 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

They were saying on EEI yesterday that they think Aceves will definitely be traded before next year.

I think they still bring back Cody Ross, and at least one of the aforementioned starters, but probably two. I'd like to see them address shortstop as well. Not very comfortable with Iglesias or Ciriaco being our #1 guy.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
I'd take Hamilton at 3 for 75 over Victorino and Napoli at 3 each for a total of 78. but thats me.
If there's only 3 years offers on the table for Hamilton then, the Sox have a legitimate chance to sign him but... I really think that Seattle or Texas will blink and give him a 4th year. The guy have some issues but still, we're talking about a talented guy who produce very well.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:51 AM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
If there's only 3 years offers on the table for Hamilton then, the Sox have a legitimate chance to sign him but... I really think that Seattle or Texas will blink and give him a 4th year. The guy have some issues but still, we're talking about a talented guy who produce very well.
I'd rather Hamilton at 4 for 100 million than Napoli and Victorino at 78 for 3.

Instead of "Victorino" on the back of his jersey they should just put "Sunk Cost."

Old
12-07-2012, 08:02 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post

Instead of "Victorino" on the back of his jersey they should just put "Sunk Cost."
I would also. He's the better player by far, and by baseball/Red Sox standards thats not a heck of a lot more money over 4 years.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:05 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post

They should just play a toilet flushing for his theme music when he's coming to the plate.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:21 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
They should just play a toilet flushing for his theme music when he's coming to the plate.
He wouldn't hear it though - double ear flaps.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:29 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
He wouldn't hear it though - double ear flaps.
Even so, it would still be very audible with 2/3rds of the place empty despite being in the middle of a 7 year sell out streak...

Old
12-07-2012, 09:00 AM
kman22

I get the jokes, but I'm wondering if the draft pick compensation and the apparent strategy going forward is being overlooked by people here.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Therick67

Quote:
I get the jokes, but I'm wondering if the draft pick compensation and the apparent strategy going forward is being overlooked by people here.
I think thats a consideration, but is the plan to put the best team on the field or not?

I know they like draft picks, but it's not like many of these guys actually make it.

As a fan, I rather watch Josh Hamilton play over Victorino & Napoli every day of the week, and he also makes you better. Especially at the years and dollars being talkd about. If we were talking 6, 7 , 8 years at 20 plus I's so no.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:32 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

I can't believe based off a lot of what is written that some of you are fans of this team. Are you really going to be down on Victorino or Napoli when they take the field next season? Or whoever else we sign.

I realize that people are upset with the front office, and I think rightly so. But I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the players; I'm hopeful that they are going to go out there and give it there all; and I hope the "Fenway faithful" doesn't boo them just because they got paid too much.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:59 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
I can't believe based off a lot of what is written that some of you are fans of this team. Are you really going to be down on Victorino or Napoli when they take the field next season? Or whoever else we sign.

I realize that people are upset with the front office, and I think rightly so. But I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the players; I'm hopeful that they are going to go out there and give it there all; and I hope the "Fenway faithful" doesn't boo them just because they got paid too much.
As a season ticket holder I'll tell you I don't boo anyone. I think it's juvenile. And of course, you cheer for the laundry, so you cheer for the guys wearing it. And personally, I like the Napoli signing and don't think the Sox really had any other but to sign him.

But, the Victorino signing is mind-boggling. I refuse to believe they need him, and I refuse to believe if they feel they do, they couldn't have gotten him for 75% of what they paid. I didn't like him in Philly and I don't like that we have him. But yeah, I hope he does well, I'm just fairly sure he won't live up to his paycheck or fan expectations. In that sense though, he's not alone on this team. I don't think Lester will either. Or Gomes. Or Lackey (obviously). But we'll all root for them anyway.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:13 AM
KCBRUIN
Tuukka Time

They couldn't have got Victorino for 75% of what they did, because we know what Cleveland's offer was. They wanted him for some reason, and paid what they needed to, to get him. I'm still guessing Ellsbury is gone, and Victorino will play Center.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Twisted Tales
H.A.M.

vCash: 2598
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
As a season ticket holder I'll tell you I don't boo anyone. I think it's juvenile. And of course, you cheer for the laundry, so you cheer for the guys wearing it. And personally, I like the Napoli signing and don't think the Sox really had any other but to sign him.

But, the Victorino signing is mind-boggling. I refuse to believe they need him, and I refuse to believe if they feel they do, they couldn't have gotten him for 75% of what they paid. I didn't like him in Philly and I don't like that we have him. But yeah, I hope he does well, I'm just fairly sure he won't live up to his paycheck or fan expectations. In that sense though, he's not alone on this team. I don't think Lester will either. Or Gomes. Or Lackey (obviously). But we'll all root for them anyway.
I have a good feeling that John Lackey will surprise us all in 2013.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBRUIN View Post
They couldn't have got Victorino for 75% of what they did, because we know what Cleveland's offer was. They wanted him for some reason, and paid what they needed to, to get him. I'm still guessing Ellsbury is gone, and Victorino will play Center.
So let have Cleveland have him. You really shouldn't have to over pay for guys like that.

Closed Thread