HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

What's the best post secondary program?

Old
12-05-2012, 07:22 PM
FrizzleFry22
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
would probably be better to learn yourself and save x amount of money. You don't need a degree to get jobs in software engineering
Eh most Software Engineers I have met either had have a degree such as mathematics or another Engineering/CS. Sure anyone can learn to program and create software by themselves but school really focuses on the fundamentals so people are not doing really dumb inefficient things. Plus its good experience to work with others and network as stated above.

FrizzleFry22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Topp Spin
STIHL 286

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwin View Post
If you're willing to move to Alberta to get a job (which I did), Power Engineering or CAD Drafting.

My dad was at a conference in Calgary this summer, where he talked to one of the higher ups for Cenovus, and they were looking for around 2500 3rd class power engineers, and they only found about 800. Apparently they were offering $110k+ salary. AFAIK, this can be had with only 2 years of college.

If you prefer to sit in an office, there's CAD Drafting. That's what I got when I moved here despite not exactly being qualified for it (I had more of a GIS background), and I think that's just a 1 year program. Tons of job there too.

I'm sure there are tons of other related to oil and gas, but those are two that I personally know of.
I'm a 3rd class power engineer, with papers on my 2nd. (I just wrote 2A1 yesterday). You gota remember Cenovus pays a BASE salary to their 3rd's around that 110k mark. But most make around 200K (if not more) with overtime, and bonuses. As for them looking for 2500 3rd classes, I highly doubt it was that many.

Cenovus isn't even one of the higher paying FIFO companies. Suncor Firebag, Conocco, Stat oil and MEG all pay more that I know of.

Are you a 3rd? Where about do you work?

Topp Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 08:07 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Mist View Post
Major in Political Science like I am
and end up flipping burgers haha jk

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:52 AM
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topp Spin View Post
I'm a 3rd class power engineer, with papers on my 2nd. (I just wrote 2A1 yesterday). You gota remember Cenovus pays a BASE salary to their 3rd's around that 110k mark. But most make around 200K (if not more) with overtime, and bonuses. As for them looking for 2500 3rd classes, I highly doubt it was that many.

Cenovus isn't even one of the higher paying FIFO companies. Suncor Firebag, Conocco, Stat oil and MEG all pay more that I know of.

Are you a 3rd? Where about do you work?
Nah, I'm not a power engineer. I do GIS Mapping for a surveying company that deals with oil & gas. My dad is a 1st class in Ottawa, and is the president of the IPE regional branch there. He was here for a conference, and they talked about how desperate they are here for power engineers.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:46 AM
Topp Spin
STIHL 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwin View Post
Nah, I'm not a power engineer. I do GIS Mapping for a surveying company that deals with oil & gas. My dad is a 1st class in Ottawa, and is the president of the IPE regional branch there. He was here for a conference, and they talked about how desperate they are here for power engineers.
That is awesome. Yes with an increase in people retiring, it's a great time to be a PE. It's not even Alberta, a buddy of mine who is also a 3rd makes $105K working in Vancouver (base). Although Alberta oil by far, pays the most. I hope to have my 2nd class done by this time next year and then start working on my 1st.

One of our teachers who was also a 1st had an offer from an oil giant up in fort mac. He would have made in excess of 400K, but then again, he had a 1st with experience. It's awesome that your dad is a 1st class.

Fantastic field to get into imo. I love going to work! Speaking of that...I gota leave right away here!

Topp Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:47 AM
MrFunnyWobbl
So Aaron Baddeley

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Pretty sure it's who you know, not what.

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:44 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

also, as I'm sure someone has already pointed out, this is an absolute dumb way to choose a career

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:39 AM
hitman9172

A question for those of you with experience in the legal field:

Was it necessary to network hard during your undergrad degree, even if it was unrelated to law? Or did you save the networking for law school?

hitman9172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:47 AM
darksociety

vCash: 50
When the industry is hot, geology fits this profile. I found work ranging from $180-$250/day as a summer student, and landed a job after my B.Sc. for $310+/day.

It's a fickle business, however. Right now, for example, things are tightening up like they did in 2008. YMMV.

darksociety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:02 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The business world sucks, don't do it. Avoid finance and accounting like the plague. This is my PSA for the day.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
FYI, I'm in law school, but I was having a discussion with my girlfriend who seems to think that there were a lot of other undergraduate programs better than nursing, which she is currently in, in terms of job prospects.
Nursing is like computer science. It became so well-known as a "hot field" that there's an oversaturation of qualified candidates for entry-level positions. It's actually a pretty hard field to break into.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:14 PM
LSnow

Studying to become a accountant and youll have 99% a job. And atleast here its well paid one.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:37 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman9172 View Post
A question for those of you with experience in the legal field:

Was it necessary to network hard during your undergrad degree, even if it was unrelated to law? Or did you save the networking for law school?
First question: no, but it does help. Getting a part-time job or the like at a well known law office in a major city and getting a great reference while you're at it will help during admissions.

I spend a lot of time networking and I've already had quite a few job offers that will be available to me upon graduation, albeit not in the field I want to work in.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:12 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
Studying to become a accountant and youll have 99% a job. And atleast here its well paid one.
Getting a job in accounting is easy. However, being an accountant and having that be your life is not very optimal. If you actually want to enjoy your job, the business world isn't that great.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Francesa
Global Moderator

Do what you do

Don't try to shoehorn yourself into something you don't care about

The best program is the one that fits your flow.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:20 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
Getting a job in accounting is easy. However, being an accountant and having that be your life is not very optimal. If you actually want to enjoy your job, the business world isn't that great.
I can kind of back this up. I used to know an accountant at a huge firm in Toronto that was making six figures. He eventually gave it up and took less salary in a different field because he said his whole life revolved around accounting.

It's a terrible field to get in to if you want a life.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
would probably be better to learn yourself and save x amount of money. You don't need a degree to get jobs in software engineering
Not having one will disqualify you from many, many positions immediately.

Those that don't disqualify will almost certainly pay you much less from the outset unless you have an easily demonstrable portfolio of real-world experience.

The job market is a competition. Don't put yourself at a disadvantage by not having something most candidates do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
I can kind of back this up. I used to know an accountant at a huge firm in Toronto that was making six figures. He eventually gave it up and took less salary in a different field because he said his whole life revolved around accounting.

It's a terrible field to get in to if you want a life.
My wife is a CPA and we have lots of accounting friends. The above is probably true if you're in one of the big four firms and are primarily doing audits. If you land an internal gig at a company, though, that's different. No busy season / insane hours / etc. It seems that most CPAs start with a big four firm, earn their stripes, and then settle into something else.

As far as accounting itself, I think it's a pretty interesting field. Very rules / logic-based. I took quite a few classes around accounting and finance for my MBA and enjoyed all of them. If you're a left-brained type, you could definitely do worse.

Last edited by Clock: 12-06-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:59 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I'm corporate accountant, I know from experience dude. I'd say I'm good at my job and it can be interesting, however, I'll just say that I never look forward to going to work. It's not the kind of job that you're ever excited to do. Sure, you could do worse, but I feel like all "desk" jobs are like this anyway. Plus no matter what accounting type job you do there is always a busy time. Monthly closes can get quite crazy with long hours. No where near public accounting jobs, but that's why you get paid less.

Honestly, these days the best jobs are "hourly" wage jobs. Electrician, cop, firefighter, plumber, or something. Why? Because corporations will require you to work as many hours as they want you to and you won't get paid an extra penny. You can work 40 hours or 60 hours and you'll get paid the same. It's quite common to work a corporate job and work 10+ hour days regularly. Meanwhile if you have an hourly job, anything above your 40 hours gets you time and a half. Those companies typically want to kick your ass out the door anything above 40 unless they have no choice.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 12-06-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old
12-06-2012, 02:23 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
for a woman the best choice is an MRS degree

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:25 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

I currently work in audit at a large firm (just passed the UFE on Friday woo)

I mean, you know what you get out of it. The firm pays for your training so you can pass the qualification exams, and in return they get to destroy your will to live for three years. And then you move to the private sector and start making bank and having a life. Everyone wins.

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 03:13 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
for a woman the best choice is an MRS degree
Sure, if we are currently in the 1950s.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
I currently work in audit at a large firm (just passed the UFE on Friday woo)

I mean, you know what you get out of it. The firm pays for your training so you can pass the qualification exams, and in return they get to destroy your will to live for three years. And then you move to the private sector and start making bank and having a life. Everyone wins.
That seems to be a very common path, at least in this region. I know many accountants that did just that.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Dusk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post
I'm pretty sure you'd have to have a bachelors in engineering to get your professional license.
Software engineering is a relatively new program, and the types of jobs a software engineer would apply for are currently not held by professional engineers.

Dusk Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk Soldier View Post
Software engineering is a relatively new program, and the types of jobs a software engineer would apply for are currently not held by professional engineers.
Yeah, they're applying for pretty much the same jobs people with CS degrees have. A P.Eng isn't really need at all for that.

Bruins4Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:33 AM
Sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
Nursing is like computer science. It became so well-known as a "hot field" that there's an oversaturation of qualified candidates for entry-level positions. It's actually a pretty hard field to break into.
I don't think there's an oversaturation..... there will always be a demand for nurses in the US or in Canada... the difficulty in finding a job is determined if a province or state they are looking for a job in invested enough $ in health care.

Last edited by Sly: 12-07-2012 at 04:46 AM.
Sly is offline   Reply With Quote