HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

56-game season to start circa 12/20?

Old
12-05-2012, 04:38 PM
xdl1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
The reason for the poor ratings had much more to do than just "traditional markets vs. non traditional markets".

First, each of the first 4 games of the Finals went head to head against NBA conference finals. This was due to the NBA lockout, as this does normally not happen.

Second, (this is my opinion), but the hockey was extremely boring. You had the defensive minded Kings against the defensive minded New Jersey Devils. There was too much shot blocking, and both teams got away with ridiculous amounts of standing the puck carrier up at the blueline, which lead to dump and chase. It was god damn tennis out there.

Thirdly, the reason the ratings jumped in from 2008 to 2009 was the prescence of story lines. People love story lines (can Magic beat the Celtics? Will Jordan get his 6th? Can Ray get his Ring?). In 2008, you had Sid the Kid trying to cement his place in NHL history against a veritable dynasty.

Finally, the second highest rated Final since 1995 was the Devils against the Stars with a 3.7. Obviously, people will watch the Final if it is interesting, whether its great hockey or a compelling story. These last Finals featured a 6th seed vs. an 8th seed playing boring ass hockey with no real connection to each other.

This is getting off topic. To reel this back in: Everything you said is true. The number of games played for a regular season has no bearing on playoff television ratings. It's dictated by storyline, star power, quality of play, and matchup (markets, play styles, rivalries).

Last year, the cup had none of those, hence the poor ratings. The lockout this year won't have any bearing on it - if those qualities exist for the playoffs, the NHL will soar in the ratings.

xdl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:00 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

SXM: Teams have been told to "cease and desist" contact with players by coaches.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:03 PM
DL44

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
SXM: Teams have been told to "cease and desist" contact with players by coaches.
I was shocked to hear it was happening in the first place...
When i first heard the story of coaches talking to players period, i thought it was bs...

The 'cease and desist' order is not a surprise since it shouldn't of been happening in the first place... i would think there is nothing to read into it more than that.

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:04 PM
RumpleSnipeSkin
Bar Down

Your post contradicts itself. You say you don't want teams coasting into the playoffs. Okay, well in theory a shorter season would provide less of an opportunity for teams to separate from each other, eliminating their ability to coast. So you really are in favor of a shortened season.

Similarly, the last 10 games would therefore be more exciting, something which you are also a proponent of, as you mentioned yourself.

Moreover, looking at statistical analysis and assuming a normal distribution of lucky and unlucky bounces, at about 30 games the effects of additional games become negligible. 62 games? Luck and bounces play essentially no role. Unless you are implying that the worse teams are statistically more likely to get lucky bounces... which is inherently contradictory.

Bring back hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgJetsfan View Post
You people don't get the point. You're too biased with wanting hockey back.

Anything less than an 82 schedule which has been normal for several seasons now would make an unfair competitive advantage to those lower tier'd teams.

When you play a full schedule you get injuries, fatigue. etc. You get to see the skill and depth of the team trying to push their way into the playoffs. With a short season you don't really get that. A team can have a lucky month and coast into the playoffs.

Coasting into the playoffs is somehting I do not like at all. This past season was very exciting when you have the last 10 games decides over many teams who would make it into the playoffs.

How would you feel if the following teams made the playoffs in a short season:
1. Florida
2. Winnipeg
3. Buffalo
4. Ny Islanders
5. Toronto
6. Carolina
7. Pittsburgh
8. New Jersey

1. Phoenix
2. Edmonton
3. Calgary
4. Columbus
5. Colorado
6. Nashville
7. St Louis
8. Detroit

RumpleSnipeSkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Jazz

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
58 game season.
Home and home vs every team in the league (29x2)!
Then 1vs16 playoffs, a one-off format and then switch to 4-conference realignment format next season.

(Won't happen though....)

Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdlineglory View Post
It was boring because the referees weren't as strict with calling obstruction as they were in the past. It wasn't the playing style of the teams involved. And you couldn't be any more wrong with how the Kings and Devils played: aggressive forecheck =/= defensive minded.
You're right: the Kings had an aggressive 2 man forecheck.

But I also recall the Devils playing a tight defensive system.

However, the problem was the the refs were not calling obstruction, so the puck carrier would get held up by a moving pick at the blue line. Then we get dump and chase hockey.

Finlandia WOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Drrocket9

not to worry

all will be settled as soon as they figure out how to divide YOUR money between the players and the owners.

and you will agree to this.

I will not.

Drrocket9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:10 PM
aqib

It will be 60, 61 or whatever the cut off is to get the sponsorship dollars

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_me? View Post
it would be cool if they could use this shortened season to test out a 4 division format.
Well, re-alignment was supposed to be one area addressed in the new CBA regardless. It would probably make things easier to create a compressed schedule. Let's hope that this was one of the things that Bettman and Fehr negotiated on earlier when they were avoiding the "big" issues.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:59 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
I am a hockey fan. But a short season is no good for the NHL. All you need is one lucky month and then play 500 hockey and you've made the playoffs.

Basically what I'm saying is that it all comes down to luck. You know at the beginning of the season you normally see some of the lower tier teams in first or 2nd place. In a shortend season they would make the playoffs than in a full schedule. It doesn't balance out in the end.

I don't think a shorter season is fair to the fans or any team.
Hang on a second...

You've supported a league that has had the majority of its clubs make the playoffs for decades. 4 out of 6, 8 out of 12, 16 out of 21 and now 16 out of 30. We just had an 8 seed win the Cup. Playoff upsets, even 8 over 1s, are de rigeur in the NHL.

And this is where you make the stand in terms of random luck impacting the league?

Come the hell on, man.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Ernie

Just like a fan of a non-playoff team to chalk it all down to luck.

Some teams DO get lucky and make the playoffs. Some teams are unlucky to not have made the playoffs. But those cases are the exception, not the norm.

As a statistician would tell you, there's no such thing as luck. There is such a thing as a too small sample size.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
58 game season.
Then 1vs16 playoffs, a one-off format and then switch to 4-conference realignment format next season.

But still, if they were to do a 58 games season, I think doing a home and home against every single team would be a pretty cool idea! Sure, the travel costs would be huge... but the best team in the regular season would really deserve the Presidents' Trophy. And would truly be the best team in the league.

PS: The 1 vs16 playoff system is pretty cool (it's what the LHJMQ has for exemple). However the travel costs would really be way too high, since unfortunately North America is way larger then Québec and the Maritimes!

Acesolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 07:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
I am a hockey fan. But a short season is no good for the NHL. All you need is one lucky month and then play 500 hockey and you've made the playoffs.

Basically what I'm saying is that it all comes down to luck. You know at the beginning of the season you normally see some of the lower tier teams in first or 2nd place. In a shortend season they would make the playoffs than in a full schedule. It doesn't balance out in the end.

I don't think a shorter season is fair to the fans or any team.
This is how it is in an 82 season. It worked pretty much the exact opposite with the LA Kings. They were unlucky for 5 months, made a great trade, and then became a juggernaut because they regressed to mean.

56 games is the right way to go. Play everyone in your conference 4 times. Start playoffs by May 1.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Elever
Hth

What are the rule changes? I don't want the dead puck hockey from the playoffs.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
What are the rule changes? I don't want the dead puck hockey from the playoffs.
Rule changes haven't been negotiated since the last CBA. Instead they go through the competition committee, which will likely remain intact.

Old
12-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Rule changes haven't been negotiated since the last CBA. Instead they go through the competition committee, which will likely remain intact.
I know man, rhetorical question. My point is that it just shows further incompetence by the NHL to take the most exciting sport on TV and allow it to become a muddied mess. The game should be at the peak of it's excitement with tonnes of fast/skilled players and HD presentation. The competition committee has failed miserably in the past 5 yrs.

They spend so much time concerning themselves with revenue but if the league and owners really wanted to increase their revenue and fan base then they'd do what a company does, improve the actual product.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:00 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
58 game season.

That would actually be kind of fun. Imagine Vancouver and Chicago in a final or Montreal and Boston, maybe even Philly and Pittsburgh. It'd be a fun playoff based on those certain possibilities

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Oogie Boogie

My heart wants to believe, but my head says to shut up and wait and see before diving into speculation.

Oogie Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Jossipov
Patty's Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
You're right: the Kings had an aggressive 2 man forecheck.

But I also recall the Devils playing a tight defensive system.

However, the problem was the the refs were not calling obstruction, so the puck carrier would get held up by a moving pick at the blue line. Then we get dump and chase hockey.
Not for nothing but are you sure you were watching the SCF ?
I mean for one, I wish the Devils could play a tight defensive system....for two the refs were crazy whistle happy

Jossipov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Jossipov
Patty's Better

Aw, and I took an extended vacation instead of budgeting for tickets...sorry NHL, but that's your fault

Jossipov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:31 PM
FuriousSenator

I can't believe I'm saying this. But I don't care at all that the NHL has a hope of coming back...

I have been an absolutely rabid fan since before the last lockout; I have 5 NHL jerseys (3 Sabres, 1 Caps, 1 Oilers)...I play hockey like crazy all winter long...but you know what, I'm just sick of it all.

Instead of watching hockey I've watched CFL, MLB, NFL, and Premier League. Before this year I'd have told you I hated that crap. Today I not only love it, but I PREFER IT.

Hockey has not only lost me in terms of abusing my fan-dom, it's lost me because it has made me realize how one-dimensional it is. How big a sporting world there is. To be honest, at this point in the season, without the big anticipation and push of September-October...I'm just not into it, and I'd rather be elsewhere.

FuriousSenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:34 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheSabresFan View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this. But I don't care at all that the NHL has a hope of coming back...

I have been an absolutely rabid fan since before the last lockout; I have 5 NHL jerseys (3 Sabres, 1 Caps, 1 Oilers)...I play hockey like crazy all winter long...but you know what, I'm just sick of it all.

Instead of watching hockey I've watched CFL, MLB, NFL, and Premier League. Before this year I'd have told you I hated that crap. Today I not only love it, but I PREFER IT.

Hockey has not only lost me in terms of abusing my fan-dom, it's lost me because it has made me realize how one-dimensional it is. How big a sporting world there is. To be honest, at this point in the season, without the big anticipation and push of September-October...I'm just not into it, and I'd rather be elsewhere.
thanks for stopping by... again. we'll see you later

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:07 AM
leeaf83

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
for those who claim that a short standings would skew the standings, compare the 1995 season to the one before and the one after

1993-94 http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...l19271994.html
teams which missed the playoffs: Florida, Philly, Tampa Bay, Winnipeg, Quebec, Hartford, Ottawa, Anaheim, Los Angeles, Edmonton
1994-95: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...l19271995.html
teams which missed the playoffs: Florida, Tampa, Long Island, Winnipeg, Montreal, Hartford, ottawa, Los Angeles, Edmonton, Anaheim
1995-96: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...l19271996.html
teams which missed the playoffs: New Jersey, Long Island, Dallas, Hartford, Buffalo, Ottawa, Anaheim, Edmonton, Los Angeles, San Jose

so Montreal was the only team to miss the playoffs in 1995 while making it the year before and year after. Not a single club made it in 1995 without making it the year before or after. All 4 division winners in 1995 won their division the year before or after.

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:44 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJohns View Post
all will be settled as soon as they figure out how to divide YOUR money between the players and the owners.

and you will agree to this.

I will not.
They'll divide your money also. Whether that involves watching TV or buying products from league sponsors.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:58 AM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post

So, to ask, how do you feel now that the Kings won the Stanley cup?
Grrrrrreeat! Like Tony the Tiger Grreat

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote