HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Bears Thread #13 - Bears fall to 8-6

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 02:47 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Barring a miracle, Jordy Nelson will be out Sunday...

Old
12-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Illinihockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Its who I've been pining for this entire time. You probably don't get an impact tackle drafting around 20 and you can get interior offensive lineman in the later rounds. There's no way Eifert isn't at least Greg Olsen with blocking. He'd be a perfect safety valve for Jay and would allow the Bears to do a lot more with formations and play calling.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Good tight ends are found all over the draft and there's a few decent ones that will be affordable in FA. Pass.

Old
12-12-2012, 02:59 PM
RayP

Give me Bennett or Pascoe from the Giants as a FA, and draft Ogletree with that pick instead.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Give me Bennett or Pascoe from the Giants as a FA, and draft Ogletree with that pick instead.
Pascoe has 26 receptions in 47 career games. Thats your solution to our tight end problem?

Old
12-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Illinihockey

Charles Woodson out for Sunday

Old
12-12-2012, 03:14 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Pascoe has 26 receptions in 47 career games. Thats your solution to our tight end problem?
Well, you obviously haven't seen him play then... He has the talent to be a solid all around TE for sure. We don't need the next Gronkowski for this offense. We just need a guy who can catch the passes thrown to him, and block well. Both of which he more than capable of doing.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Well, you obviously haven't seen him play then... He has the talent to be a solid all around TE for sure. We don't need the next Gronkowski for this offense. We just need a guy who can catch the passes thrown to him, and block well. Both of which he more than capable of doing.
There's no way you can swing him being a good catching tight end. He had his first touch down this season! 1 TD in 3 full seasons, never more than 12 catches in a season, his career high is 8.5 yards per game. Hell, he's only been targeted 8 times this season and never more than 16 times in an entire season! He's basically Matt Spaeth.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:35 PM
RayP

Quote:
There's no way you can swing him being a good catching tight end. He had his first touch down this season! 1 TD in 3 full seasons, never more than 12 catches in a season, his career high is 8.5 yards per game. Hell, he's only been targeted 8 times this season and never more than 16 times in an entire season! He's basically Matt Spaeth.
That's because they use Bennett in the passing game, and Pascoe in the running game... However, that doesn't mean Pascoe has no hands, like you're trying to make it out to be. He can catch the ball when it's thrown to him, but it's just not the system the run in NY. I'm not saying he'd come to Chicago and catch 80+ catches a year, but he's basically an extra OT when he's blocking, and he is absolutely capable of catching the ball when it's thrown at him. However, most importantly, he would be cheap, and you wouldn't have to waste a first rounder on a TE for a team that doesn't have a system in place to even utilize a TE.

I just don't see the point in drafting a TE in the first round to catch passes, when you still don't have anyone capable of blocking to even give Cutler time to get the ball out. I couldn't be more against a TE in the first round. Our LBs and CBs are way up there in age, our offensive line still blows and we consider it a good game for them when Cutler gets sacked < 5 times a game... and people want to grab a TE in the first round? No thanks.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Quote:
That's because they use Bennett in the passing game, and Pascoe in the running game... However, that doesn't mean Pascoe has no hands, like you're trying to make it out to be. He can catch the ball when it's thrown to him, but it's just not the system the run in NY. I'm not saying he'd come to Chicago and catch 80+ catches a year, but he's basically an extra OT when he's blocking, and he is absolutely capable of catching the ball when it's thrown at him. However, most importantly, he would be cheap, and you wouldn't have to waste a first rounder on a TE for a team that doesn't have a system in place to even utilize a TE.

I just don't see the point in drafting a TE in the first round to catch passes, when you still don't have anyone capable of blocking to even give Cutler time to get the ball out. I couldn't be more against a TE in the first round. Our LBs and CBs are way up there in age, our offensive line still blows and we consider it a good game for them when Cutler gets sacked < 5 times a game... and people want to grab a TE in the first round? No thanks.
But he went to Notre Dame

Old
12-12-2012, 03:41 PM
digdug41982

Agreed, a TE is a luxury at this point. If one of the free agent TE's comes cheap, go for it. If not, forget it and just put a blocker in there. As for the draft, it needs to be Offensive line. You've got two good ones from Alabama that should be in the neighborhood of where the Bears will be picking. Just keep drafting O-linemen until the damn thing starts to resemble a decent NFL O-line.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Agreed, a TE is a luxury at this point. If one of the free agent TE's comes cheap, go for it. If not, forget it and just put a blocker in there. As for the draft, it needs to be Offensive line. You've got two good ones from Alabama that should be in the neighborhood of where the Bears will be picking. Just keep drafting O-linemen until the damn thing starts to resemble a decent NFL O-line.
^
A TE is a QB's best friend

Bears cant go into next season with this trash at TE again

Old
12-12-2012, 03:48 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
^

I agree we need to upgrade, but we don't need to upgrade via a top 20 pick and try to get the next super stud at the position.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:48 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
^

What I am saying is that it has to be the right guy at the right price. There is only so much cap to spend and there are bigger priorities like going after Long. If you were to ask Cutler if he would be better with assets going into the line or into a TE, I think he would say the line. Use a late pick on an project TE like Levine Toilolo. He has great size and potential.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:

This system utilizes the TE plenty, the tight ends just don't produce. This is a new NFL, tight end is one of the most important positions teams use to create mismatches. Its something Bill Bellicek understood a few years ago when he used 2 2nd round picks on tight ends. If the Bears are going to become a modern NFL offense, they have to have a tight end that can create mismatches in the run and pass game.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
What I am saying is that it has to be the right guy at the right price. There is only so much cap to spend and there are bigger priorities like going after Long. If you were to ask Cutler if he would be better with assets going into the line or into a TE, I think he would say the line. Use a late pick on an project TE like Levine Toilolo. He has great size and potential.
Right, there are bigger priorities like offensive line, which is why you use a draft pick on a tight end and don't go overpay a guy. Go look at past drafts, you aren't finding a big time tackle that will contribute in the first year at the end of the first round. You can either have the best tight end in the draft or probably the 5th best offensive tackle. The Bears need impact players all over the field, why not get one? Its the reason I would have liked Castro (who ended up hurt but thats besides the point) who was by far the best interior lineman in the draft over the projected 5th or 6th best prospect at defensive end. When you try to draft for need instead of best player available, it usually burns you.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:59 PM
RayP

Quote:
This system utilizes the TE plenty, the tight ends just don't produce. This is a new NFL, tight end is one of the most important positions teams use to create mismatches. Its something Bill Bellicek understood a few years ago when he used 2 2nd round picks on tight ends. If the Bears are going to become a modern NFL offense, they have to have a tight end that can create mismatches in the run and pass game.
I still stand by we have too many holes to address the TE spot with a first round pick. Address the position, just not at that cost. Would rather get someone later in the draft like Jordan Reed out of Floria, Dion Sims from MSU in the 3rd, or the kid Erz from Stanford if he starts to drop into the mid to late 2nd round.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
I still stand by we have too many holes to address the TE spot with a first round pick. Address the position, just not at that cost. Would rather get someone later in the draft like Jordan Reed out of Floria, Dion Sims from MSU in the 3rd, or the kid Erz from Stanford if he starts to drop into the mid to late 2nd round.
Thats fine, but people need to realize the tight end isn't a throwaway position...its not like I'm saying take a full back in the first round, or a kick returner. Tight ends are probably more important than the running back position in todays NFL.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:04 PM
RayP

Quote:
Thats fine, but people need to realize the tight end isn't a throwaway position...its not like I'm saying take a full back in the first round, or a kick returner. Tight ends are probably more important than the running back position in todays NFL.
I disagree. Look at the best RB in the league. He is carrying his team this year and is in the playoff hunt with a HS caliber of QB. Look at the best TE in the league, whichever one you decide that is, he is not.

However, I will admit/agree that the RB position is not nearly as important as it was 10 years ago, when they were getting the ball 30 times a game on the ground.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:07 PM
digdug41982

There are a number of intriguing guys in the middle to late rounds. Hernandez was a 4th round pick. I just don't see why we should be spending any pick before that on a TE. Take a page out of the Patriots book and take two for all I care, but they should be 4th round or later. Any pick before that has to go to the O-line or the defense.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:08 PM
RayP

Quote:
There are a number of intriguing guys in the middle to late rounds. Hernandez was a 4th round pick. I just don't see why we should be spending any pick before that on a TE. Take a page out of the Patriots book and take two for all I care, but they should be 4th round or later. Any pick before that has to go to the O-line or the defense.
I'd be fine going with one in the 3rd round. Seems there are 3 or 4 pegged for that area of the draft. Take the most athletic one, and fix the offensive line with offensive linemen.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:09 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Its the reason I would have liked Castro (who ended up hurt but thats besides the point) who was by far the best interior lineman in the draft over the projected 5th or 6th best prospect at defensive end. When you try to draft for need instead of best player available, it usually burns you.
Yeah, I thought Castro would have been a much better pick if we weren't going DE but what can you do. As far as it being a waste to use a mid to late pick on an O-lineman, I think the horrid state of ours dictates we do. IF we knew we were getting Long, then it would be easier to rationalize using that pick elsewhere.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
I disagree. Look at the best RB in the league. He is carrying his team this year and is in the playoff hunt with a HS caliber of QB. Look at the best TE in the league, whichever one you decide that is, he is not.

However, I will admit/agree that the RB position is not nearly as important as it was 10 years ago, when they were getting the ball 30 times a game on the ground.
AP is literally in the running for the greatest running back of all time, he's sort of an outlier when it comes to discussing running backs.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
I'd be fine going with one in the 3rd round. Seems there are 3 or 4 pegged for that area of the draft. Take the most athletic one, and fix the offensive line with offensive linemen.
We don't have a 3rd round pick

Old
12-12-2012, 04:13 PM
RayP

Quote:
AP is literally in the running for the greatest running back of all time, he's sort of an outlier when it comes to discussing running backs.
You taking a TE over Arian and Rice too? I'm not.

Quote:
We don't have a 3rd round pick
Fire Emery!

Closed Thread