HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 9th: Tom Cheek Memorial Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2012, 12:04 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I'm so pumped that Reyes is a Blue Jay. He seems so into the team already and is a proud member even though he's yet to play a game. I hope Johnson and Buerhle feel the same way.
I believe there was a picture posted the other day of Josh Johnson all decked out in Jays gear.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:28 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Quote:
He's not a Tim Wakefield-like knuckleballer. Dickey throws around 80mph.
And he also has no UCL in his elbow, so he doesn't have the wear and tear of a typical starting pitcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
I believe there was a picture posted the other day of Josh Johnson all decked out in Jays gear.
He's also going to have an interview with Barry Davis next week.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:51 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Can you post a link? Not questioning you, I just can't find it in a Google search.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:00 AM
Brody
$$

vCash: 560
C'mon Smitty, everyone's seen it.

funny how the two guys that supposedly "did not" want to play in Toronto, are the ones that released the pics

Old
12-08-2012, 01:01 AM
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow

Quote:
Can you post a link? Not questioning you, I just can't find it in a Google search.
I'll give you something better.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/video/366519...r-Josh-Johnson

12-08-2012, 04:52 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
Still don't see why the age matters. We only would absolutely need him to be in good form for the next 2-3 years, and in a perfect world he pitches for 6-7 like a Tim Wakefield.
Because if we're giving up Gose +, I would rather them be younger than 38 since we don't really know how this team will be. You also don't know how much longer he can pitch like this for, since he's older. I'd welcome him since he did just win the Cy Young, but I just don't know how much I'd want to give

Old
12-08-2012, 04:54 AM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
Still don't see why the age matters. We only would absolutely need him to be in good form for the next 2-3 years, and in a perfect world he pitches for 6-7 like a Tim Wakefield.
I concur, Dickey's value in the next 2-3 years alone warrants acquiring, and subsequently signing him.

Old
12-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Man Bear Pig

Blows me away that people are so focused on age here. Dickey is a unique case. He's not a flamethrower, he's a knuckleballer who just won the top pitching award at 38 years old. The fact that people don't wanna deal Gose for a CY YOUNG WINNER makes me wonder whether some fans are prospect hoarders. Do I like Gose? sure I do but to hesitate on a prospect who hasn't shown he can even hit yet is foolish. Dickey could be the difference in getting this team to the world series and I'm sure he's got another 3 years of quality pitching left in him. The goal is to win championships, not hoard prospects.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:12 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Blows me away that people are so focused on age here. Dickey is a unique case. He's not a flamethrower, he's a knuckleballer who just won the top pitching award at 38 years old. The fact that people don't wanna deal Gose for a CY YOUNG WINNER makes me wonder whether some fans are prospect hoarders. Do I like Gose? sure I do but to hesitate on a prospect who hasn't shown he can even hit yet is foolish. Dickey could be the difference in getting this team to the world series and I'm sure he's got another 3 years of quality pitching left in him. The goal is to win championships, not hoard prospects.
Dickey's knuckler could also be largely ineffective at Rogers Centre since it is heavily environment influenced.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:27 AM
gladis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post

funny how the two guys that supposedly "did not" want to play in Toronto, are the ones that released the pics
Hot!

Old
12-08-2012, 08:31 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Hoarding prospects? We just traded away a lot of them. Especially if you include our trades from last year. It's not a bad thing to have some really good ones remain in your system. His hitting has also improved.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:34 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Scutaro re upped with the Giants for 3 yrs 20m. I don't know if this is just a re cap of the week with the Giants also re upping Pagan for 4 and 40m.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Kershaw, Cain, Teheran and Porcello were all 20 when they made their debuts.

Hernandez and Bumgarner were 19.
I knew there was recent ones, didn't know there was that many.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Shimso

Quote:

Reyes has quite a few Jays photos, too.

http://instagram.com/lamelaza_7

I'll take it as a good sign

Old
12-08-2012, 09:32 AM
smitty10

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Thanks, boys!

Old
12-08-2012, 09:38 AM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
Sure lets trade all the prospects. We should trade TDA and those 2 lansing kids for a first baseman too. Sure those kids will be great down the road but it would make us a better team next year.

The thing about Gose he doesnt need to show he can hit any better to be a great player. I think he is better than Rasmus now but another year in AAA could help him figure out his bat. He already has better rang than Colby, he has a better arm, he will probably get on base more than Colby and he is way more dangerous when he is on base.

Gose could help this team be a contender for the next decade. And if he does improve his bat he will be a very special player.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:47 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

According to mlbtr Cano is looking for a big payday and it doesn't sound like he and the yanks are doing to well. Boras client looking for an ARod contract while the yanks are trying to get under the luxury tax. I would be ecstatic to see Cano leave the yanks.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:57 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
According to mlbtr Cano is looking for a big payday and it doesn't sound like he and the yanks are doing to well. Boras client looking for an ARod contract while the yanks are trying to get under the luxury tax. I would be ecstatic to see Cano leave the yanks.
He'd be a nice improvement at 2nd base here

Old
12-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow

Cano is the best 2B in the league, IMO, but I want nothing to do with him if he wants A-Rod money.

The Yankees are regretting the high contracts they signed their players to now. I'm loving it.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:05 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
He'd be a nice improvement at 2nd base here
Yes he would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Cano is the best 2B in the league, IMO, but I want nothing to do with him if he wants A-Rod money.

The Yankees are regretting the high contracts they signed their players to now. I'm loving it.
But I agree with this. If he's looking for a 10 year deal and around 250m that IMO just isn't worth it.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
Having the better players gives you the better chance at winning. I still think Jays are in a great position to give up some decent prospects (Gose probably being the best, wouldn't want to see Syndergaard/Sanchez/TDA moved) to have a better chance at winning while still maintaining a great farm system (Some teams entire farm systems wouldn't be worth two or three of the Jays top prospects.)
I'm not a fan of hockey, so you will have to bare with me, but I don't think the Ducks or Kings were "favourites" to win the cup. This is exactly the point I am trying to make, aquiring the best players you can during the off-season to have the best team on paper, does not guarentee you anything.

It's better to mathematically assess your position when you get a chance to see what kind of team you have. Who knows, maybe hitting is weaker than pitching. Therefore, the Jays can go use some of those prospects to fill holes.

I have no problem giving up any prospect (in terms of the right deal -- a high standard), other than Sanchez. He's the only untouchable for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
If Romero returns to his #2 form then we have them beat.
I disagree. Arizona has probably the best rotation 'going forward' (which is the phrase I used). This means prospects + current pitchers considered.

The Jays' equivalence of Sanchez and Syndergaard are their big-league ready pitchers.

Quote:
He's their most valuable player, best player, and is relatively young in comparison to Jeter and Rodriguez. Some in New York already consider him their franchise player, in that the Yankees will begin rebuilding around him.

I think this is a negotation tactic. Cano will get paid, regardless of his demands. He's the best 2B in baseball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
Dickey's knuckler could also be largely ineffective at Rogers Centre since it is heavily environment influenced.
This is largely unproven (scientifically at least), so I have my doubts.

Anyway, I think Dickey contributes more to the pitching staff indirectly than he does directly. What I mean is that, one can easily argue that putting him inbetween Morrow and Johnson (two power arms), holds tremendous difficulty for the opposing team.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:28 AM
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

Quote:
I would rather wait for Gose than go after Dickey. This is the AL East, their is a lot more talent in this division than the NL East, especially with all the injuries in the NL East last year which I do believe inflated Dickey's numbers abit. The two years we have Dickey he might end up with a high era, while Mets have a young, controllable 50 base stealer with above average defense that has plenty of time to figure out the hitting part.

No thank you.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:29 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Anyway, I think Dickey contributes more to the pitching staff indirectly than he does directly. What I mean is that, one can easily argue that putting him inbetween Morrow and Johnson (two power arms), holds tremendous difficulty for the opposing team.
I agree with this. I never really thought about it, but you're right. Placing Dickey between Johnson and Morrow would really throw other teams off. Especially in a three game series.

I like the idea however I don't think AA pays the price for Dickey.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:39 AM
calcal798

Quote:
I coud see the Dodgers offering him that contract.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:43 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

MLB ‏@MLB 1hr
Sources indicate to @Sullivan_Ranger that @Rangers could trade 7-time All-Star Michael Young to @Phillies today:
Joe Carrillo ‏@steal2ndgo3 7m
Heard this..."@si_mlb: Report: Michael Young to approve #Phillies trade http://on.si.com/TROkdR " #Rangers

The Boston Red Sox made a two-year, $25 million offer to free agent right-hander Ryan Dempster but were turned down by the pitcher and his agent, Craig Landis, according to a source.
Dempster is believed to be seeking a three-year deal and reportedly is being wooed by the Chicago Cubs and the Milwaukee Brewers.

Closed Thread