HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 9th: Tom Cheek Memorial Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2012, 10:14 AM
mapes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
Its a matter of perspective.

Kershaw is definitely the best of the four. But Hellickson is younger and has been better lately, thats why I'd take him over Greinke (just a matter of preference).

Man I am hoping Romero can get back to where he was two years ago. Imagine a one two of JJ and RR, both having ERA's around 3 and following that up with Morrow and Buerhle. Damn that would be deadly.
Romeos never had it around 3 but then again I doubt he's peaked. His control last year was beyond terrible so he should work hard this offseason. A 1-2 of Morrow and JJ is great as it is so if Romero bounces back it gives us a great 1-2-3. Pretty excited for next year.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:19 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

If the Dodgers don't sign Hyun-Jin Ryu today, they will shift their focus to free agent pitcher Anibal Sanchez, a source tells Jim Bowden of ESPN.com (via Twitter). The Dodgers have until 4pm CST to ink a deal.

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports looked at two trade scenarios for the Mets involving R.A. Dickey. One featured the Rangers while the other featured the Blue Jays.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/v...termine-120812
Possibility No. 1: Dickey for Rangers infielder Mike Olt.
Possibility No. 2: Dickey for Blue Jays catcher J.P. Arencibia and center fielder Anthony Gose.
The Jays definitely would say “no” to this.

so why not JPA and Rasmus Ken Rosenthal?

Old
12-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Same, him or Bumgarner gonna be awesome for a while.
since they won ANOTHER title is it possible yet to get bumgarner from them ??

12-09-2012, 10:22 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Romeos never had it around 3 but then again I doubt he's peaked. His control last year was beyond terrible so he should work hard this offseason. A 1-2 of Morrow and JJ is great as it is so if Romero bounces back it gives us a great 1-2-3. Pretty excited for next year.
His 2.92 in 2011 was below 3.

His control was horrible, he was getting hit to much and walking himself into trouble way to much. I think he was putting pressure on himself to become the ace, but maybe he can stop doing that and just worry about getting each batter out.

If Romero does that (even if its 3.3-3.5 and can pitch 200 + innings) he'd be awesome. Morrow has to stay healthy, if he can do that and repeat last year (or even close he'll be awesome). JJ again has to stay healthy, and he could get an ERA anywhere from 3.8-2.8.

We have a lot of if's in that SP rotation. but if even 2 of 3 of those turn out right, we could be pretty deadly.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:30 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
If the Dodgers don't sign Hyun-Jin Ryu today, they will shift their focus to free agent pitcher Anibal Sanchez, a source tells Jim Bowden of ESPN.com (via Twitter). The Dodgers have until 4pm CST to ink a deal.

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports looked at two trade scenarios for the Mets involving R.A. Dickey. One featured the Rangers while the other featured the Blue Jays.
Possibility No. 2: Dickey for Blue Jays catcher J.P. Arencibia and center fielder Anthony Gose.

I would not be happy if AA did that deal.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Brody
High.

vCash: 551
Quote:

No to the original trade, no to yours.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:38 AM
weems

Quote:
Its a matter of perspective.

Kershaw is definitely the best of the four. But Hellickson is younger and has been better lately, thats why I'd take him over Greinke (just a matter of preference).

Man I am hoping Romero can get back to where he was two years ago. Imagine a one two of JJ and RR, both having ERA's around 3 and following that up with Morrow and Buerhle. Damn that would be deadly.
You'd take Hellickson over Greinke?
Am I missing something here?

These two arent even close!

Old
12-09-2012, 10:54 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
You'd take Hellickson over Greinke?
Am I missing something here?

These two arent even close!
Hellickson is 25, entering his third full season, has a salary of 500, 000 is coming off a season of a 3.10 ERA, and 2.95 before that. Greinke is 29, in the last three season hes had an ERA under 3.5 once, and it was 3.48, hes making 24.1 million.

Am I missing something?

Old
12-09-2012, 10:57 AM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

Quote:
]Possibility No. 2: Dickey for Blue Jays catcher J.P. Arencibia and center fielder Anthony Gose.

No for both please.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Felstead
Boss Status

Quote:

Stop offering Rasmus!

Old
12-09-2012, 10:59 AM
weems

Quote:
Hellickson is 25, entering his third full season, has a salary of 500, 000 is coming off a season of a 3.10 ERA, and 2.95 before that. Greinke is 29, in the last three season hes had an ERA under 3.5 once, and it was 3.48, hes making 24.1 million.

Am I missing something?
-Greinke last season finished 7th overall in the league in WAR.
-Hellickson last seasno finished 80TH overall in the league in WAR (Behind stud pitchers like Harang, Bud Norris, Mike Leake, Luiz Mendoza).

Are you really basing your opinion of a pitcher off of ERA?

I thought we were talking about the best 1-2 combos and thus whos the better pitchers, not whos the better bang for your buck.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
Quote:

Am I missing something?
Why would you factor in age and contract when determining the better player? The question is based solely on productivity and ability to which Grienke is the better pitcher.

I think you are having an entirely different conversation, namely, who you would rather have (this is a question where it would be reasonable to take into consideration age and contract).

For example, I would rather have Jayson Heward than Jose Bautista. Why? Age, contract, and projected increase. However, Jose Bautista is the better baseball player, just like Grienke is the better pitcher than Hellickson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stakesishigh View Post
No for both please.
Agreed. There are other pitchers that can be had for the price who make more sense for the future.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:09 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
-Greinke last season finished 7th overall in the league in WAR.
-Hellickson last seasno finished 80TH overall in the league in WAR (Behind stud pitchers like Harang, Bud Norris, Mike Leake, Luiz Mendoza).

Are you really basing your opinion of a pitcher off of ERA?

I thought we were talking about the best 1-2 combos and thus whos the better pitchers, not whos the better bang for your buck.
I dunno I kinda figured you would factor it into the equation, not like they come for free. I was getting my stats off Baseball reference too, which has completely different WAR then Fan Graph (which i prob should use).

Last edited by calcal798: 12-09-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old
12-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:

Am I missing something?
He's also the luckiest pitcher in baseball. His FIP, xFIP, SIERA, ridiculously low babip, and ridiculously high LOB% all point to that. If I was the Rays GM, I'd be selling 'high' on him this off-season. Grienke, Kershaw, etc. are in a different league. I agree, the price tag does offer value, but he's not as good as his surface stats appear.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:15 AM
mapes

Quote:
His 2.92 in 2011 was below 3.

His control was horrible, he was getting hit to much and walking himself into trouble way to much. I think he was putting pressure on himself to become the ace, but maybe he can stop doing that and just worry about getting each batter out.

If Romero does that (even if its 3.3-3.5 and can pitch 200 + innings) he'd be awesome. Morrow has to stay healthy, if he can do that and repeat last year (or even close he'll be awesome). JJ again has to stay healthy, and he could get an ERA anywhere from 3.8-2.8.

We have a lot of if's in that SP rotation. but if even 2 of 3 of those turn out right, we could be pretty deadly.
Wow my bad, I never thought it was that low. Guess I should look it up next time

Old
12-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
No to the original trade, no to yours.
This x 2.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:21 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Why is A-Rod putting off the surgery till January? You'd think he'd want it done sooner then later so that he could be back sooner?
maybe he doesn't want to be recovering from surgery through the holidays and also likely just doesn't care.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:23 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Why would you factor in age and contract when determining the better player? The question is based solely on productivity and ability to which Grienke is the better pitcher.

I think you are having an entirely different conversation, namely, who you would rather have (this is a question where it would be reasonable to take into consideration age and contract).

For example, I would rather have Jayson Heward than Jose Bautista. Why? Age, contract, and projected increase. However, Jose Bautista is the better baseball player, just like Grienke is the better pitcher than Hellickson.
Yep I'll give that, if you could pick two without money being a factor you'd take Greinke.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Dr.Funk

vCash: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
maybe he doesn't want to be recovering from surgery through the holidays and also likely just doesn't care.

Ding Ding

The guy is such a piece of ****.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I'm sure a smart GM would have sold high on Hellickson prior to last season, all he did was follow up a historically "lucky" season with another historically "lucky" season. Luck by definition is not predictable, therefor I have no idea what this is but I wouldn't call it luck.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
I'm sure a smart GM would have sold high on Hellickson prior to last season, all he did was follow up a historically "lucky" season with another historically "lucky" season. Luck by definition is not predictable, therefor I have no idea what this is but I wouldn't call it luck.
There is something to be said for pitchers who consistently outpitch their metrics. Romero was that before last year. Fangraphs jokingly used to refer to them as the anti-Brandon Morrows. At some point, you have to acknowledge that they have a skill which the current advanced stats don't take into account (ie missing bats).

Old
12-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
There is something to be said for pitchers who consistently outpitch their metrics. Romero was that before last year. Fangraphs jokingly used to refer to them as the anti-Brandon Morrows. At some point, you have to acknowledge that they have a skill which the current advanced stats don't take into account (ie missing bats).
IIRC, I remember reading somewhere that change-up is the type of pitch that could help you sustain a lower BABIP than usual but even then, Hellickson shouldn't be outperforming by this much. LOB% and BABIP are far too unsustainable. League average is around .300 while his career BABIP is .244, that's bound to come up. His flyballs help us understand a bit why he has such a low BABIP and maybe he is the next Jered Weaver or Matt Cain but even then, it has to come up. He is also not a guy that keeps his flyballs in the park so its even harder to see him sustaining such a low BABIP/ERA.

Also, Romero only outperformed his peripherals in 2011, they were bang on in his 2010 and 2009 seasons. Hellickson is due for some big time regression(s). It wouldn't surprise me next season if he ended up posting a 5+ ERA.

Last edited by Nasty Nazem: 12-09-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old
12-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:

Why would the Jays have to give up significantly more? I don't see Olt being any better than Gose (Arguably even worse) and adding JPA on top of that? He says its a bad trade for the Jays than says JPA for Dickey straight up is better. Why not say that off the bat.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
IIRC, I remember reading somewhere that change-up is the type of pitch that could help you sustain a lower BABIP than usual but even then, Hellickson shouldn't be outperforming by this much. LOB% and BABIP are far too unsustainable.

Also, Romero only outperformed his peripherals in 2011, they were bang on in his 2010 and 2009 seasons. Hellickson is due for some big time regression(s). It wouldn't surprise me next season if he ended up posting a 5+ ERA.
How many times would he have to post a 3ish ERA before you stopped believing that one of the worst pitchers in the league was secretly posing as one of the best?

What-ever it is that Hellickson is doing, I want some of that.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
How many times would he have to post a 3ish ERA before you stopped believing that one of the worst pitchers in the league was secretly posing as one of the best?

What-ever it is that Hellickson is doing, I want some of that.
Maybe if he keeps doing season after seasons for like 5-6 seasons, sure, I'll buy it but I am definitely not buying it right now.

Closed Thread