HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 9th: Tom Cheek Memorial Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
This.

Right now:

Guaranteed spots:
Janssen
Santos
Delabar
Lincoln

Spots to lose:
Cecil
Rogers

Everyone else has to beat one of Cecil or Rogers
I'd agree that Cecil is on the bubble right now, but I don't think Rogers is. He's an AA guy and is out of options, I can't see him not having a spot in the bullpen.

Right now, if Oliver comes back, I'd say the bullpen looks like:

Santos
Janssen
Oliver
Lincoln
Rogers
Delabar
Cecil
Loup
D. Carpenter
Jenkins

Thing is, Cecil's out of options, so if he shows he's capable out of the pen, you don't dump him for nothing, which is why, if AA gets another arm (or two if Oliver retires/is traded), Delabar is the one who goes down since he's got options. But right now, Oliver isn't a guarantee, so Loup is really the odd-man out at this point.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:11 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Looks like Pirates are re-signing Grilli... so uhh, yeah, that was totally a waste of time.

Love the Revere/Worley deal for Twins. Revere is okay but just seems so meh and almost all of his value comes from playing good defense and baserunning at CF. Worley is a decent pitcher and Twins really need pitching help. May is a fairly good prospect despite a bit of a rough season in AA. Was a top 100 prospect coming into 2012. I'll bet Phillies were offering Jays the same package for Rasmus.

Koji Uehara signs with the Red Sux. Ugh, great signing for them. He had a nutty 3/43 BB/K ratio last year.
Uehara has an insane whip over the last 4 years

Old
12-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoMarleauLeafs View Post
Jays just selected Sawyer Carrol in the rule 5 draft. AA outfielder in San Diego's organization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoMarleauLeafs View Post
We just made another pick, Alvido Jiminez pitcher from Cubs AA team.

And another Efrain Nieves from Tigers AA team.
Does anyone know anything about these guys? Normally I'd start a flurry of research but I'm at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
i remember Vargas

Position: Pitcher
Bats: Right, Throws: Right
Height: 6' 4", Weight: 235 lb.
age 34

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...argacl01.shtml

i dont think he's the answer
He's not the answer to anything. He's injury insurance. Likely won't see a major league field unless our rotation starts to fall like flies again.

Old
12-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 950
Did Grilli sign yet?

Old
12-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Animal

The money these free agents are getting is insane. Players are getting PAID after 'down' years. Makes it even more impressive that we got melky for so cheap. If he signed at the winter meetings he'd get 12 million per I think

Old
12-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozay View Post
Did Grilli sign yet?
Not yet, although the giants are out of it

Old
12-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs21 View Post
Not yet, although the giants are out of it
Alright, thanks. I thought he was going to make a decision in the morning, but who cares? He was pretty good last year, and I wouldnt mind if the Jays signed him.

Old
12-06-2012, 02:47 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Padres P Andrew Cashner is out for 3 months after he and a buddy went hunting, and his friend accidentally stabbed him in the hand while they were trying to carve up one if their kills.

Outstanding.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
12-06-2012, 02:48 PM
HappyGilmourr

The more I think about it the more I think the jays should seriously consider paying up for RA Dickey. He’s a legitimate top of the rotation starter that has the most valuable pitch in the game… a 80 mph knuckleballer is unheard of… Hardly any ware and tear on him so him being 38 isnt a huge concern for me… i’d be confident that we would be getting at least 3 years of solid production.

What's our window to win a world series? 2-3 years. Reyes, Bautista, Encarnacion, Romero Cabrera, Johnson, Buerhle, Morrow is our core and they won't be better in 5 years then they will be in the next 2-3. Reyes likely won't have the same base stealing ability in 3-4 years and Bautista will likely be DHing at the point. The time is now, lets go full out.

It makes a lot of sense. Having a knuckle baller in between power pitches (Morrow, JJ) and two finese pitchers (romero, Buerhle) would really trip out lineups during a 3 game series. How could they adjust going from a right handed power pitcher to a left handed finesse pitcher than to a knuckle baller ?

Power pitcher
Finese pitcher
Knuckleballer
Power pitcher
Finese pitcher

So:

Johnson
Romero
Dickey
Morrow
Buerhle

switch Buerhle and Romero if you don’t like the idea of Romero as the number 2 or if he isn’t back to his old form… they all get the same amount of starts and all 5 have very good resume’s. Anyone can alternate 1-5. Not a big deal to them, i’m sure they only care about winning and the #5 won't care at all.

If the asking price is something ridiculous like D'arnaud + Sanchez then obviously not but something like Arencibia + Gose + possibly Osuna (preferably someone else) is something i'd seriously consider...

Old
12-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
If the asking price is something ridiculous like D'arnaud + Sanchez then obviously not but something like Arencibia + Gose + possibly Osuna (preferably someone else) is something i'd seriously consider...
I wouldn't give up Gose for 1 year of any pitcher.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Power pitcher
Finese pitcher
Knuckleballer
Power pitcher
Finese pitcher
I'd rather go:

Finesse
Power
Knuckleballer
Power
Finesse

If you go Power-Finesse-Knuckleballer, you're warming them up slowly. Going from slower to faster to extremely slow would work better than going from faster to slower to extremely slow. I don't mind doubling up on the finesse pitchers at the ends of the rotation, as they don't rely as much on straight speed as much as their stuff and location, so there's less benefit on trying to trip up opponents.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:01 PM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
AA wouldn't aquire him knowing they couldn't work out a deal... they gave up a lot more for Johnson

Old
12-06-2012, 03:02 PM
weems

Quote:
Same but I'm alot higher on Gose then most it seems.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Leafssss

Quote:
I think Dickey is looking to sign a 2year/20M contract, so I suppose if the Jays were to trade for him they could lock him up quite easily.

I too however would not like to trade Gose for Dickey. Arencibia is definitely someone I'd put in a package for him, but I wouldn't include any of Sanchez, Norris, Osuna, Syndergaard in the package. I'd really like him on the team, I just wouldn't really like giving up a lot to get him on it.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Same but I'm alot higher on Gose then most it seems.
as am I apparently.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:05 PM
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

Quote:
AA wouldn't aquire him knowing they couldn't work out a deal... they gave up a lot more for Johnson
Gose is a better prospect than anyone they gave up in that trade imo and we got alot more in return than just Johnson.,

Old
12-06-2012, 03:06 PM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
I'd rather go:

Finesse
Power
Knuckleballer
Power
Finesse

If you go Power-Finesse-Knuckleballer, you're warming them up slowly. Going from slower to faster to extremely slow would work better than going from faster to slower to extremely slow. I don't mind doubling up on the finesse pitchers at the ends of the rotation, as they don't rely as much on straight speed as much as their stuff and location, so there's less benefit on trying to trip up opponents.
yeah that makes sense

Old
12-06-2012, 03:07 PM
weems

Quote:
as am I apparently.
Gose gets alot of hate but hes a really good prospect.
You have Bourn whos a free agent and Span who was just traded as two of the comparable CF talents and Gose is way ahead of were they were at age 22.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
I think Dickey is looking to sign a 2year/20M contract, so I suppose if the Jays were to trade for him they could lock him up quite easily.

I too however would not like to trade Gose for Dickey. Arencibia is definitely someone I'd put in a package for him, but I wouldn't include any of Sanchez, Norris, Osuna, Syndergaard in the package. I'd really like him on the team, I just wouldn't really like giving up a lot to get him on it.
I wouldnt include any of Gose, TDA, Sanchez and Syndergaard. But Any one else I would strongly consider. But after already weakening our far system on the last trade it would take a very special player with years of control to make me consider trading any of them.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Gose gets alot of hate but hes a really good prospect.
You have Bourn whos a free agent and Span who was just traded as two of the comparable CF talents and Gose is way ahead of were they were at age 22.
He needs to work on his hitting but even if that never improves he is still going to be an amazing player. He has great range in the outfield, one of the best arms in baseball and could steal 50 bases a year just getting on base at the limited rate he does now.

If he does figure his bat out he will be a very special player.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Animal

And there's reason to believe that the jays will develop him right. Won't be rushed to the majors like snider was, we have Cabrera for at least 2 years and Rasmus for a while so he can spend the whole year in buffalo

Old
12-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Padres P Andrew Cashner is out for 3 months after he and a buddy went hunting, and his friend accidentally stabbed him in the hand while they were trying to carve up one if their kills.

Outstanding.
What's with hunting accidents among baseball teams lately. Dale Svuem (Cubs manager) got shot in the ear by Robin Yount a few days ago.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Animal

I may be getting ahead of myself a little, but what happens a year from now if melky proves he's legit, and Rasmus takes a leap forward? An outfield of Cabrera-Gose-Rasmus in 2014 would push Bautista to 1B / DH. We'd literally have no holes in our lineup.

Reyes
Cabrera
Bautista
Encarnacion
Lawrie
D'arnaud
Rasmus
Bonafacio
Gose

Old
12-06-2012, 03:20 PM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
I'd rather go:

Finesse
Power
Knuckleballer
Power
Finesse

I like that model for sure ... Makes sense .. Based on the current staff though would this rotation work?

Morrow
Buerhle
Johnson
Romero
Happ

?

Balances in power and finesse pitchers and mixes in lefties and righties well ... Happ as the 5th starter would be a question mark ... And based on that rotation a finesse righty would fit well in that 5 spot given the diversity of the first four in the rotation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs21 View Post
I may be getting ahead of myself a little, but what happens a year from now if melky proves he's legit, and Rasmus takes a leap forward? An outfield of Cabrera-Gose-Rasmus in 2014 would push Bautista to 1B / DH. We'd literally have no holes in our lineup.

Reyes
Cabrera
Bautista
Encarnacion
Lawrie
D'arnaud
Rasmus
Bonafacio
Gose
I'd see Cabrera move to DH before Bautista would move there .. Bautista has better defensive in the field than Cabrera and Rasmus could move to LF ... Rasmus - Gose - Bautista is sexy

Old
12-06-2012, 03:21 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
What's with hunting accidents among baseball teams lately. Dale Svuem (Cubs manager) got shot in the ear by Robin Yount a few days ago.
I didn't hear about that one. Pardon the pun

Closed Thread