HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly Signs With Magnitogorsk (2-yr deal)

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Foppa Frossa

vCash: 50
These guys say RoR is worth $4M/yr

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1423

Old
01-10-2013, 12:58 PM
henchman24
If and if...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
Probably about right. I'd probably go up to 4.5m, but 5m+ is simply too much for O'Reilly.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Probably about right. I'd probably go up to 4.5m, but 5m+ is simply too much for O'Reilly.
The problem is that if we give him 4.5 for 6 years and last season was a fluke we end up with the "Brooks Laich" problem, where a 3rd line center is being horribly overpaid.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Im not really all that worried about the Oreilly situation, because even if he doesn't come back, after the year he just had his value is pretty high right now, and we could easily get a very good Dman in return for Oreilly, and I don't even think out offense would be hurt to much without him.

As someone else said, I think part of Oreillys crazy year was playing with Landeskog, I don't entirely know that he can repeat it without Landy on his wing. If we could trade Oreilly for say a Yandle or M Staal our Top 9 would still look like this:

Landy - Duchene - Pap
McGinn - Stastny - Jones
Hejduk - Olver/Sgarbossa - Downie.

That's still a good top 9 IMO. I think Olver is more then capable of playing 3rd line minutes and its yet to be seen what Sgarbossa can do in the big leagues, but if how he has performed in the AHL for his first year is any indication he could be more then a 3C similar to Oreilly.

I dunno, if we can sign Oreilly for 4-4.5M then Im ok with that, but I also wouldn't be totally against moving him out for a Top pairing Dman. I still think we have to move 1 of our C's eventually, and Oreilly has the least Offensive potential of the 3, but probably the highest value of the 3 right now.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:46 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
The problem is that if we give him 4.5 for 6 years and last season was a fluke we end up with the "Brooks Laich" problem, where a 3rd line center is being horribly overpaid.
If O'Reilly got a 6 year deal at that amount of money, one of Duchene or Stastny would be gone by the summer of 2014. In fact, I would say the odds are that 1 of the 3 are gone by that time anyway. Moving one of the centers for a #2D would improve this team, especially if you could find a way to get a serviceable 3C in the meantime until Sgarbossa is ready (Olver probably could, but I'd rather have more experience).

I don't think that last season was a fluke, but I also don't see a much higher offensive ceiling for O'Reilly. He should be a 50-65 point center the rest of his career with maybe a few Selkes thrown in.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
If O'Reilly got a 6 year deal at that amount of money, one of Duchene or Stastny would be gone by the summer of 2014. In fact, I would say the odds are that 1 of the 3 are gone by that time anyway. Moving one of the centers for a #2D would improve this team, especially if you could find a way to get a serviceable 3C in the meantime until Sgarbossa is ready (Olver probably could, but I'd rather have more experience).

I don't think that last season was a fluke, but I also don't see a much higher offensive ceiling for O'Reilly. He should be a 50-65 point center the rest of his career with maybe a few Selkes thrown in.
Which is the kind of player that you win championships with. If he wants $4M or $4.5M per year, I'd give it to him over MAX TERM (8 yrs). That way, it's expensive early on but becomes a huge bargain later on as salaries continue to climb the way they have.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Eurolanche
HFB Partner

Send a message via ICQ to Eurolanche Send a message via Skype™ to Eurolanche
O´Reilly with one assist on Thursday:

Ryan O´Reilly had an assist on Thursday´s night. It did not help much, because his team of Metallurg Magnitogorsk lost to CSKA Moscow 2:3 in the shootouts. In spite of one assist, O´Reilly transformed his shootout attempt to a goal. Unfortunately, he could not repeat it in the 7th round.

In 10 games, Ryan scored five goals and added five assists for ten points. He is +7 and has 31 shots. Surprisingly, he has not got a penalty yet.

There have been reports about the start of the negotiating between O´Reilly and the Colorado Avalanche, but of course nothing was confirmed by either side. Officially, the talks between teams and unrestricted or restricted players could start after the ratification of the new CBA by NHLPA, what is schedule for Sunday.

We believe the talks between Ryan and Avs will resume after Sunday, but it is hard to predict what would happen. KHL teams are famous for giving huge and overpaid contracts to players, what could make a situation harder and harder.

Source

http://eurolanche.com/article.php?id=2338

Old
01-10-2013, 02:35 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1390
People pay ESPN to tell them stuff like O'Reilly is going to get 40 points in 48 games? Holy hell.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Chambers wrote about O'Reilly in his latest article. Had some comments from O'Brien:

Quote:
"Obviously he's a big part of our team here, just how he works on the ice, how hard he works off the ice, the way he plays every night, and there's not one guy in this room that wouldn't say he doesn't love Ryan O'Reilly," O'Brien said after Thursday's two-hour practice.

"Unfortunately, it's the contract side of the game that every fan just went through with the lockout. It's the ugly side of the game. But I know "Factor" wants to be here more than anybody and as far as I know they are talking and trying to get something done."

League rules regarding negotiating with restricted free agents at this time vary, but it is believed the Avs and O'Reilly began talking Tuesday. Others have said the sides cannot talk until the new collective bargaining agreement is signed.
http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...o-ryan-oreilly

More from Chambers on O'Reilly:

Quote:
I also talked to captain Gabe Landeskog and Matt Duchene about Factor, a RFA who, according to one source, wants a five-year deal at the same or similar salary the Avs are offering on three years. That’s speculation, but knowing Factor, the kid wants to dig himself in here and still get Matt Duchene/Erik Johnson-type money ($3.5 to $3.7 million per year).
Quote:
Finally, O’Reilly’s agent Mark Guy texted me: “All that I can say at this time is that we are having ongoing discussions.”
http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013...tuation/12150/

If that's accurate and he wants a 5 year deal at $3.5-$3.7 mill per year, why the hell isn't it done by now?

Last edited by Avs_19: 01-10-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old
01-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Give him $4 at 4 years then if money isn't an issue. He'll still be RFA after thats up then we can sign him for an even longer deal.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post

If that's accurate and he wants a 5 year deal at $3.5-$3.7 mill per year, why the hell isn't it done by now?
Sherman hasn't given more than 4 year extensions. I think the problem might lie there, or alternatively the rumour is just bogus.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:01 PM
TheStranger

Quote:

Indeed. Shouldn't be an issue at all if that's the asking price. It must be north of 4 million and Colorado probably doesn't want to go more than 3 years or something as well, god knows why.

I just hope that he comes home soon, it's unnerving.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:03 PM
henchman24
If and if...

So basically we are talking about the difference being that he would be a RFA or UFA when the deal is over. I don't blame either side for wanting that.

This would also make the 2 year 10 million much more understandable. It cuts out all deals around the 3 year ~3-3.5m and would force the Avs to give in on the number of years if they want to keep him. IMO signing O'Reilly to a 5 year ~18m deal is a total no-brainer.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Eurolanche
HFB Partner

Send a message via ICQ to Eurolanche Send a message via Skype™ to Eurolanche
Finally, O’Reilly’s agent Mark Guy texted me: “All that I can say at this time is that we are having ongoing discussions.”

Old
01-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
So basically we are talking about the difference being that he would be a RFA or UFA when the deal is over. I don't blame either side for wanting that.
Yeah, that's what it seems like. I would prefer that O'Reilly gives in and the Avs get their way so he's still a RFA at the end of his deal but I don't care too much either way. They just need to get him back ASAP.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:19 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Chambers wrote about O'Reilly in his latest article. Had some comments from O'Brien:

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...o-ryan-oreilly

More from Chambers on O'Reilly:

The only reason it hasnt been signed yet is because despite ROR wanting to play here long. Sherman and especially Lacroix do not take kindly to you not accepting watever they offer you. 5 yrs @ 3.5-4 per is a steal for a 21 yr old 2 way forward whose only improving. I cant wait to see how badly Avs incompotent management mess this one up

Old
01-10-2013, 04:21 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
The only reason it hasnt been signed yet is because despite ROR wanting to play here long. Sherman and especially Lacroix do not take kindly to you not accepting watever they offer you. 5 yrs @ 3.5-4 per is a steal for a 21 yr old 2 way forward whose only improving. I cant wait to see how badly Avs incompotent management mess this one up
Could you please stop this negativity against the Avs high staff.
We don't know what goes on behind the scenes, so saying stuff like "Sherman is not going to take this well" and " Lacroix will show him the door" (paraphrasing) is uncalled for.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:21 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Are you serious with this over and over again? Or is this just your schtick? I can't tell anymore.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:25 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Could you please stop this negativity against the Avs high staff.
We don't know what goes on behind the scenes, so saying stuff like "Sherman is not going to take this well" and " Lacroix will show him the door" (paraphrasing) is uncalled for.
Just frustrated this hasnt been done yet thats all and yah Avs management does have a history of low balling, take it or leave it deals.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:27 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Are you serious with this over and over again? Or is this just your schtick? I can't tell anymore.
I find it kind of ironic u have a PL avatar with the word screwed underneath. Just saying

Old
01-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Freaky Styley

I sincerely believe that although negotiations were stingy, both sides wanted to wait and see what the new CBA had in store. I have no doubt that a deal will get done, and R'OR at something like 5yrs @ 3.5M would be fair now, and could look like a steal as soon as next year.. I just want him to still be a RFA at the end of whatever deal we make.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:39 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
I sincerely believe that although negotiations were stingy, both sides wanted to wait and see what the new CBA had in store. I have no doubt that a deal will get done, and R'OR at something like 5yrs @ 3.5M would be fair now, and could look like a steal as soon as next year.. I just want him to still be a RFA at the end of whatever deal we make.
3.5 @ 5 yrs. I would consider that a steal especially if ROR projects the way we all think he will.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Sherman hasn't given more than 4 year extensions. I think the problem might lie there, or alternatively the rumour is just bogus.
So we're all in agreement that the Avs were very careful with contracts knowing the CBA was going to expire and they didn't want to get screwed over again. Saying they don't want to give out extensions longer than 4 years is pure speculation at this point, since the CBA isn't ratified by the players yet...they can't sign anyone until Sunday at the earliest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Indeed. Shouldn't be an issue at all if that's the asking price. It must be north of 4 million and Colorado probably doesn't want to go more than 3 years or something as well, god knows why.

I just hope that he comes home soon, it's unnerving.
More speculation.

Quote:
Speculation and false. Players are allowed to NEGOTIATE their contracts. Only the players who have HELD OUT of camp to hurt the team were eventually traded. (Drury, Ozo)

Incompotent? Really?

Quote:
Just frustrated this hasnt been done yet thats all and yah Avs management does have a history of low balling, take it or leave it deals.
As mentioned, they didn't get it done over the summer (like many others, Benn, Subban, etc...) and agreed to wait until new CBA. To be angry that it's not done YET, is ridiculous because they aren't even offically allowed to be talking.

However, I WILL say this, the Avs better get this done in short order. I doubt very much that O'Reilly wants to stay in Russia but I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see a desperate team send an offer sheet his way. Of course, the Avs would match but it would also force them to pay more than they might want for O'Reilly and disrupt what they are trying to build here. Now that Burke is gone from Toronto, I wouldn't be surprised if the ownership group are putting pressure on Nonis to make a big splash in more ways than just Luongo.

If O'Reilly and his camp are insisting on a 5 year deal to bring him right up to being a UFA, I can really understand the rumors that we kept hearing last summer that TERM was the sticking point with the negotiations.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:26 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

adater ‏@adater
Per @MChambersDP, O'Reilly wants five year deal, Avs only offering three

I guess Avs wanna keep him a RFA after next deal expires.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:29 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
adater ‏@adater
Per @MChambersDP, O'Reilly wants five year deal, Avs only offering three

I guess Avs wanna keep him a RFA after next deal expires.
I just came to post this...but the Avs need to get the F over themselves on this one!

It's not like it's some scrub who's asking for more than they should, but rather someone who appears to be the hardest working guy on and off the ice, as well as someone who is still developing an offensive game to go with an already sterling defensive game...as someone already said in this thread, YOU KEEP THAT GUY!

If I were the Avs, I'd be saying "Oh you want a 5 year deal? How about an 8 year deal? No, okay, 5 years it is!" I wouldn't be splitting hairs here.

IF this remains just simply a business negotiations, without feelings getting hurt and whatnot, then I could see a 4 year deal being settled upon.

Closed Thread