HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly Signs With Magnitogorsk (2-yr deal)

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I just came to post this...but the Avs need to get the F over themselves on this one!

It's not like it's some scrub who's asking for more than they should, but rather someone who appears to be the hardest working guy on and off the ice, as well as someone who is still developing an offensive game to go with an already sterling defensive game...as someone already said in this thread, YOU KEEP THAT GUY!

If I were the Avs, I'd be saying "Oh you want a 5 year deal? How about an 8 year deal? No, okay, 5 years it is!" I wouldn't be splitting hairs here.

IF this remains just simply a business negotiations, without feelings getting hurt and whatnot, then I could see a 4 year deal being settled upon.
I said the same thing earlier. If that's what it takes, just get it done. But I could see Sherman standing his ground and refusing to give in. They've never given in to a player's demands before so I doubt they would start with O'Reilly. It could also make things more difficult when re-signing future RFAs like Landeskog, Duchene, Varlamov, etc.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 0
I wouldn't mind a five year deal. I know you only buy one UFA year but you can't be paralyzed by a fear he will walk five years from now. Treat him right and build a good team and things will sort themselves out.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:57 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I wouldn't mind a five year deal. I know you only buy one UFA year but you can't be paralyzed by a fear he will walk five years from now. Treat him right and build a good team and things will sort themselves out.
Yeah I agree with this. The Avs have never really had trouble keeping their main guys. For the most part, they loved the city and playing for this team. Agree on a fair contract and let's get the season started.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Yeah I agree with this. The Avs have never really had trouble keeping their main guys. For the most part, they loved the city and playing for this team. Agree on a fair contract and let's get the season started.
They're obviously worried about him going to his hometown (and favourite) team when his contract expires.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Does that even buy out one UFA year?
Isn't it 8 years in the league, which would mean 3+5=8, so he becomes UFA at age 26.

I can clearly see why the Avs won't budge from 3 years.
If O'Reilly is too much of a primadonna to not take it then let him play in Russia then.

That's my take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
They're obviously worried about him going to his hometown (and favourite) team when his contract expires.
And for those who don't know, Red Wings (EDIT: Nope sorry, was the Oilers) is his favorite team.

Last edited by Nzap: 01-10-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old
01-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
And for those who don't know, Red Wings is his favorite team.
Not true. Every player from Ontario grew up a Leafs fan and wants to play for them. Every player from BC grew up a Canucks fan and wants to play for them. HFBoards wouldn't lie to me.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

Quote:
Does that even buy out one UFA year?
Isn't it 8 years in the league, which would mean 3+5=8, so he becomes UFA at age 26.

I can clearly see why the Avs won't budge from 3 years.
If O'Reilly is too much of a primadonna to not take it then let him play in Russia then.

That's my take.

UFA age is either after the seventh year in the league or the age of 27.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:31 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
He should be realizing that the Red Wings OBVIOUSLY don't want him, as they could have taken him the pick before the Avalanche picked. They obviously think that Landon Ferraro is a better player.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Not true. Every player from Ontario grew up a Leafs fan and wants to play for them. Every player from BC grew up a Canucks fan and wants to play for them. HFBoards wouldn't lie to me.
I must apologize cause I remembered incorrectly. His favorite player was Zetterberg, but favorite team was the Oilers.
Sorry Rocklobster for misleading you.

FAVORITES
NHL Team: Edmonton Oilers
NHL Player: Henrik Zetterberg

Link

Quote:
UFA age is either after the seventh year in the league or the age of 27.
Mike Chambers ‏@MChambersDP
Quote:
Keep in mind if Factor signs 5-yr deal it takes him into UFA at age 26. UFA rule is 8-yrs service or age 27. No change in new CBA that I see
Got info from here.

Last edited by Nzap: 01-10-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old
01-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

Quote:
I must apologize cause I remembered incorrectly. His favorite player was Zetterberg, but favorite team was the Oilers.
Sorry Rocklobster for misleading you.

FAVORITES
NHL Team: Edmonton Oilers
NHL Player: Henrik Zetterberg

Link

Mike Chambers ‏@MChambersDP

Got info from here.
Chambers is wrong. It's seven years of service or 27 years old. The eight year is the first UFA year.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Chambers is wrong. It's seven years of service or 27 years old. The eight year is the first UFA year.
Yup. That's how it was in the old CBA and I don't think they have made any changes to that:

Quote:
Beginning in 2008-09 and for the duration of the agreement, a player age 27 with four accrued seasons or with seven accrued seasons will be an unrestricted free agent. For purposes of qualifying for unrestricted free agency, the 2004-05 cancelled season will be counted as a year of accrued service.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26366

Old
01-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Ok. That means that 5 years is certainly better than 4 years. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:34 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

What are the odds of you guys shipping him out?

I'd love O'Reilly in Toronto.

My offer would include Jake Gardiner, Tyler Bozak and a 2nd round pick.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:29 AM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post

Slim to none. That's actually not a bad deal all things considered, by I'm sure we'd shop him around and see what other offers are on the table if management decided to ship him out.

Old
01-11-2013, 03:33 AM
Mouse21*

Quote:

nothing the leafs could put together is worth RoR. literally no combination of one of your roster players+top prospect+pick is worth it.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:15 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

All we need is Bozak anda second

Old
01-11-2013, 06:05 AM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Chambers is wrong somewhat regularly. In today's DPost article, he says O'R is an unrestricted FA.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:35 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse21 View Post
nothing the leafs could put together is worth RoR. literally no combination of one of your roster players+top prospect+pick is worth it.
Don't be rude, they could surely put together an offer that would be over the top. The only reason they would not be able to acquire O'Reilly is because they wouldn't move the value we'd need to make it worthwhile.

Gardiner isn't nearly valuable enough for us to move him, but to them, he's as valuable as O'Reilly if not more.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Don't be rude, they could surely put together an offer that would be over the top. The only reason they would not be able to acquire O'Reilly is because they wouldn't move the value we'd need to make it worthwhile.

Gardiner isn't nearly valuable enough for us to move him, but to them, he's as valuable as O'Reilly if not more.
except he's been concussed recently, hasn't he?

Old
01-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
except he's been concussed recently, hasn't he?
I think so, not entirely sure of his latest prognosis tbh. I remember they pulled him from AHL play over concussion concerns.

I'm not very high on Gardiner personally, I think he is a pretty underwhelming young defender as far as hyped rookies go. Certainly good, but I'd liken him a good #3 defender than a top pairing player down the road.

Faulk was the better rookie in my opinion and I think he'll have a great future ahead of him.

Old
01-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank

Great, the O'Reilly thread has turn into an O'Reilly to Toronto thread.

Come on keep it on the trade boards.

Old
01-11-2013, 09:48 AM
henchman24
If and if...

If Toronto wants O'Reilly so bad we could have a trade around O'Reilly for Rielly... we would need compensation for the missing O though.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:45 AM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:

That would be quite a fair trade actually. If I look at it unbiasedly and without O'Reilly love.

Bozak to be 3rd line center, Stazz and Duchene ahead of him, Gardiner to play with EJ, finally a d-man with top potential..

And a 2nd is always good.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Foppa2118

I know this looks less than stellar, but can we remind ourselves that they technically aren't supposed to be "talking" until the ratification of the CBA, even though they clearly are. That means there's no way they can announce or hint at a new contract anyway.

That said, O'Reilly at $3.5-4M for five years is a "yes please" kind of answer. I wonder if his agent is overplaying the leading scorer aspect and insisting on $4.5M long term. That I can see being a sticking point, as he shouldn't really be making more than UFA's PAP and Jones. UFA's have more leverage, and PAP especially outscored him last year, and had a solid season the year before. This is Radar's first good offensive season.

On the Avs side, I get that they want to be cautious with these guys contractually, but they have to start lining themselves up to have good deals and allow for good depth in the future. A guy like O'Reilly is probably the least guy you have to worry about in terms of not being sure what kind of player he is. He's at least going to be a great defensive, special teams, and character leader for your team, and contribute at least 30-40 points on a season. You're not going to be kicking yourself having a guy like that make $4M a year. That's what they would probably cost as a UFA, and that's the bottom of O'reilly's upside.

They're kind of shooting themselves in the foot a bit with all these guys on short term deals. If O'Relly has another couple seasons at 60 or 70 points to go along with everything he does, you're looking at paying him $5M+ in a couple years, when you could have had him for $3.5-4 long term? Then you have Dutchy's deal that expires in a couple years, where if he's where the team needs him to be, you're going to have to give him top dollar as well. Then you have Landeskog's deal that expires in a couple years with Dutchy, and you're gonna have to give him around $4M at least, and maybe more if he keeps progressing. Varly's deal expires at the same time as well, and they will need to give him a raise if he's playing at the level the team needs.

They've set themselves up to pay top dollar to everyone. Now's the time to sign a safe player like O'Reilly long term. At worst, he's going to be only slightly overpaid at around $4M if his offensive numbers completely fall off and last year was a total fluke. The front office would be absolutely retarded if they put a higher than 25% chance on that happening though.

Grow some cojones Sherman, and go to Korenke and tell him you NEED another long term $4M deal. It will save him money in the future, and play a huge part in making this team a dangerous playoff team that will earn him more money in the future. Have Sakic explain to him how important Drury was to the team, and how they never really recovered or replaced him.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
They've set themselves up to pay top dollar to everyone. Now's the time to sign a safe player like O'Reilly long term. At worst, he's going to be only slightly overpaid at around $4M if his offensive numbers completely fall off and last year was a total fluke. The front office would be absolutely retarded if they put a higher than 25% chance on that happening though.
Agreed, I'd really like to see a 5-6 year deal for O'Reilly hovering around 4-4.25mil.

That's essentially what Jordan Staal got as his 2nd contract with a year or two on top.

Closed Thread