HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly Signs With Magnitogorsk (2-yr deal)

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 11:11 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I know this looks less than stellar, but can we remind ourselves that they technically aren't supposed to be "talking" until the ratification of the CBA, even though they clearly are. That means there's no way they can announce or hint at a new contract anyway.

That said, O'Reilly at $3.5-4M for five years is a "yes please" kind of answer. I wonder if his agent is overplaying the leading scorer aspect and insisting on $4.5M long term. That I can see being a sticking point, as he shouldn't really be making more than UFA's PAP and Jones. UFA's have more leverage, and PAP especially outscored him last year, and had a solid season the year before. This is Radar's first good offensive season.

On the Avs side, I get that they want to be cautious with these guys contractually, but they have to start lining themselves up to have good deals and allow for good depth in the future. A guy like O'Reilly is probably the least guy you have to worry about in terms of not being sure what kind of player he is. He's at least going to be a great defensive, special teams, and character leader for your team, and contribute at least 30-40 points on a season. You're not going to be kicking yourself having a guy like that make $4M a year. That's what they would probably cost as a UFA, and that's the bottom of O'reilly's upside.

They're kind of shooting themselves in the foot a bit with all these guys on short term deals. If O'Relly has another couple seasons at 60 or 70 points to go along with everything he does, you're looking at paying him $5M+ in a couple years, when you could have had him for $3.5-4 long term? Then you have Dutchy's deal that expires in a couple years, where if he's where the team needs him to be, you're going to have to give him top dollar as well. Then you have Landeskog's deal that expires in a couple years with Dutchy, and you're gonna have to give him around $4M at least, and maybe more if he keeps progressing. Varly's deal expires at the same time as well, and they will need to give him a raise if he's playing at the level the team needs.

They've set themselves up to pay top dollar to everyone. Now's the time to sign a safe player like O'Reilly long term. At worst, he's going to be only slightly overpaid at around $4M if his offensive numbers completely fall off and last year was a total fluke. The front office would be absolutely retarded if they put a higher than 25% chance on that happening though.

Grow some cojones Sherman, and go to Korenke and tell him you NEED another long term $4M deal. It will save him money in the future, and play a huge part in making this team a dangerous playoff team that will earn him more money in the future. Have Sakic explain to him how important Drury was to the team, and how they never really recovered or replaced him.
I agree with everything especially the bolded part.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Peter The Great

vCash: 500
I wouldn't trust a verbal out clause too much in Russia. ;-)
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3&postcount=18

http://www.metallurg.ru/site/news/read/76878/

Having said that, if Kroenke don't sign O'Reilly I will stop following this team.

I want to see some action now.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Stop putting Sherman and Lacroix in the same boat because they're not the same and Sherman has completely turned this franchise around. Every move Sherman makes or doesn't make is second guessed even though he has shown he knows exactly what he's doing.

Is blaming Kroenke for being cheap just the cool thing to do now or do people actually believe some of this stuff? The reason the Avs are unwilling to go five years with O'Reilly is because Kroenke doesn't want another long-term deal? Come on, that's ridiculous. This has nothing to do with Kroenke.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:08 PM
rpontbriand

So Avs fan wait for this pointless lockout to be over then our management rewards the base by having another drawn out process with one of the favorite players?

Yea count me out of this mess for a while!

Old
01-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpontbriand View Post
So Avs fan wait for this pointless lockout to be over then our management rewards the base by having another drawn out process with one of the favorite players?

Yea count me out of this mess for a while!
If RoR isn't signed by Saturday you have a point. Until then there is no process being drawn out.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:26 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Stop putting Sherman and Lacroix in the same boat because they're not the same and Sherman has completely turned this franchise around. Every move Sherman makes or doesn't make is second guessed even though he has shown he knows exactly what he's doing.

Is blaming Kroenke for being cheap just the cool thing to do now or do people actually believe some of this stuff? The reason the Avs are unwilling to go five years with O'Reilly is because Kroenke doesn't want another long-term deal? Come on, that's ridiculous. This has nothing to do with Kroenke.
Greg from accounting has made some shrewd deals but turned this franchise around completely? No he hasnt. When you barely spend above the cap floor yes you are being cheap ass

Old
01-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Greg from accounting has made some shrewd deals but turned this franchise around completely? No he hasnt. When you barely spend above the cap floor yes you are being cheap ass
I think he has put a lot of good pieces in place, just needs to improve the defense. Getting a new coach might not be a bad idea either. Now it's just a matter of these guys continuing to improve and reaching their potential. This team is a lot better than the one we had when he took over.

When O'Reilly signs, they'll be sitting at around $58M which is $14M above the cap floor. It's also only $4M below the new cap ceiling.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:51 PM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
I rather see better than more expensive players on the team. And that's why I think Sherman has done a good job and your opinion is kinda weird.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:52 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
I think he has put a lot of good pieces in place, just needs to improve the defense. Getting a new coach might not be a bad idea either. Now it's just a matter of these guys continuing to improve and reaching their potential. This team is a lot better than the one we had when he took over.

When O'Reilly signs, they'll be sitting at around $58M which is $14M above the cap floor. It's also only $4M below the new cap ceiling.
Seth Jones would look amazing anchoring the back end with Johnson I didnt like the Sacco re-signing especially for 2 yrs.

Old
01-11-2013, 06:14 PM
SlyAvs
smokin Joe

http://www.slovakprospects.com/europ...ozpravat-video

Old
01-11-2013, 06:27 PM
SlyAvs
smokin Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyAvs View Post
forgot to mention i think it the latest video on O'really

Old
01-11-2013, 06:44 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyAvs View Post
forgot to mention i think it the latest video on O'really
doesnt seem to eager to want to come back. just sign both O'reilly brothers already

Old
01-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
doesnt seem to eager to want to come back. just sign both O'reilly brothers already
Sounds like a guy who regrets signing for only two years. Probably thinking he should have signed a lifetime deal with his KHL team.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Avsboy

He could be upset over apparently permanently losing captaincy to Landeskog. He really doesn't seem to want to come back and I can't imagine $0.5mill or a year or two difference in contract negotiation being the sticking point.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:09 PM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

I didn't know Paul Maurice was the coach in Metallurg.

I didn't see anything unusual in that interview with Factor. Seemed like he is waiting for his agent to get him a contract to sign. He will be here to start the season.

He may get traded afterwards, but he will be here.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:15 PM
SlyAvs
smokin Joe

Yeah well if he's ready to stay in KHL he's reallyyyy upset or it just maybe
the lenght of the contract but we'll see ,i have a hard time imagining the avs
without RoR .

Old
01-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Figured this would be an appropriate place to ask since I didn't want to create a thread.

What is going on with O'Reilly's number? Over the summer we all though he'd changed to #90 but looking at the Avalanche roster (updated either today or yesterday with all numbers for the new guys), O'Reilly's number is still #37. Have you guys heard anything on if he's not changing afterall?

Old
01-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Figured this would be an appropriate place to ask since I didn't want to create a thread.

What is going on with O'Reilly's number? Over the summer we all though he'd changed to #90 but looking at the Avalanche roster (updated either today or yesterday with all numbers for the new guys), O'Reilly's number is still #37. Have you guys heard anything on if he's not changing afterall?
Don't think anything has been announced. We don't even know when he'll be back.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:38 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:

I think he wants #91 to be like his russian pal Sergei Fedorov.

I also heard hes going to change his name to Ryanov O'Reillsky.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Drizzt1

Quote:

If he were to go for a GM's role at another organization, his resume would read, General Manager of the Colorado Avalanche - (2009-2013)
2009/2010 - 12th place
2010/2011 - 29th place
2011/2012 - 20th place

Joe Sacco came out today in his media conference, and claimed, you don't want to go through a losing streak, because you want to stay for "with" pack.

What kind of mentality is that? It used to be first, or nothing.

Is this the kind of culture that Greg Sherman has built, and wants? The thing that I laugh about so much, is that a lot of the franchise fan base have also adapted the "mediocrity will be celebrated" stance.

I recall days as a Nordique's fan, when we were bottom of the barrel. Back then I used to get into arguments, because I thought we had the raw bones (back-bone if you will) to dominate the league going forward, with the drafting of Adam Foote, Joe Sakic around the same time, Peter Forberg came in quite a while later, then we drafted really solid guys like Tanguay.

We are a far, and I mean FAR cry from that back-bone. Edmonton are currently building something similar, and they will bare that fruit going forward.

Sherman has made it accepted and ok for us to lose. Various fans condone, support and even encourage that. Joe Sacco wants us to "stay with the pack". Our roster in my opinion contains the very worst defense in the league. Sherman bought on a coach who had a losing AHL record.

Sherman's not as wonderful as you make out in my opinion.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:04 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
except he's been concussed recently, hasn't he?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I think so, not entirely sure of his latest prognosis tbh. I remember they pulled him from AHL play over concussion concerns.

I'm not very high on Gardiner personally, I think he is a pretty underwhelming young defender as far as hyped rookies go. Certainly good, but I'd liken him a good #3 defender than a top pairing player down the road.

Faulk was the better rookie in my opinion and I think he'll have a great future ahead of him.
This is the latest that i could find on Gardiner :

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/articles...-holiday-break

But from what i heard on the news , he's still out and they didnt set a time table yet.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1025
Leaving aside the fact that the Nordiques sucked a lot worse and a lot longer than the Avs currently have been, I don't know what Sherman has or hasn't done that you can judge as not being akin to the lucky magic of Quebec. He's taken the picks when he's had them, and people seem to think Colorado has drafted reasonably well from even before his time. No, he hasn't been able to get Sakic, Nolan, Sundin and Lindros, but who the hell has? Not even Pittsburgh or Edmonton of late have backed into that sort of bonanza.

I really don't know what you expect. The rebuild has gone as it should have gone, and now the Avs have the pieces in place, including a few high picks. The franchise is looking good and has room to grow.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

You can only stay first for so long. Avs had their run and had to rebuild. IMO, Sherman has done a heck of a job rebuilding this team. He really had two options when he took over as GM, rebuild and go through some tough years or do what Burke did. Which do you prefer?

I'm not sure who you're talking about when you say, "a lot of the franchise fan base have also adapted the mediocrity will be celebrated stance" but that certainly isn't me. However, you sure do sound like one of those spoiled fans Josh Kroenke referenced in an interview last year.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:28 PM
BrickAHL
WOATalanche

Quote:

He is wearing #37 in Russia as well instead of #90.

Edit: After looking at the roster it is because Tverdovsky is wearing #90.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Parker27

The nords did not draft tanger the Av's did. The last draft pick from the nords is hejduk still playing. no matter what people want to say about drafting what gave us our cups were trades.

Closed Thread