HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly Signs With Magnitogorsk (2-yr deal)

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2013, 07:08 PM
avsfan09

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I never said that. Of course they're going to offer him a contract (if they haven't done it already).

Also, if the Avs weren't going to play hardball with O'Reilly, they would have signed him by now. He would have been signed before the lockout.
From what I understand O'reilly wanted a longer deal. Both sides decided it would be best to wait until the new CBA was in place before giving him a longer deal.

Old
01-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Goulet17

Are Benn, Subban, and O'Reilly all represented by Meehan's group? i think that is interesting if it is the case.

I recall years ago that Lacroix would not bring in or deal with players represented by Meehan.
Of course, Lacroix had the advantage of dealing with Don Baizley for two of his premier players and he was the former agent for Roy.

Old
01-12-2013, 08:19 PM
agentblack

vCash: 50
Not sure, I bet once Subban's deal goes down the others will follow.

Old
01-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post
Are Benn, Subban, and O'Reilly all represented by Meehan's group? i think that is interesting if it is the case.

I recall years ago that Lacroix would not bring in or deal with players represented by Meehan.
Of course, Lacroix had the advantage of dealing with Don Baizley for two of his premier players and he was the former agent for Roy.
Idk about Benn , but yes Subban's agent is Don Meehan .

Old
01-12-2013, 08:48 PM
SlyAvs
smokin Joe

Subban in Montreal ,Benn in Dallas , RoR in Russia with a 2 years contract

Old
01-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Given Avs history with RFAs, it's much more likely that Avs are trying to lowball him here rather than O'Reilly being greedy.

All this talk about him wanting to bolt or having unrealistic salary demands is wild speculation that doesn't seem to fit with what we know about the player.
I think this is right. When it's all said and done, even if the Avs sign him to a 5 year - $4M per contract, it would be a good deal for both sides and I think Avs management know this to be true.

As others have mentioned, hopefully they've learned their lesson with RICCI and DRURY in the past, the departure of these players cost us and set us back in the short term. (Jeff Shantz anyone?? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
If O'R stays in the KHL this season, I doubt he'll ever play for the Avs again.
I believe this to be true as well. While I don't believe it will get to that point, I think that even if it takes a few weeks or management feels like they're backed into a corner, I'd expect him to be dealt in short order if it comes to that.

The more likely conclusion though, is that the Avs will sign him to a contract and pay a little more than they'd like but it will still end up being a good deal for them.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:37 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Negotiations always subject to change on moment's notice, but sense is RFAs Benn (DAL), Subban (MTL), Kulikov (FLA) not close at this point. Hope to have a better feel for Del Zotto (NYR) and O'Reilly (COL) tomorrow. Negotiations ongoing.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Rhaego

Theoretically, the Avs could sign O'Reilly in 7 minutes, correct?

Old
01-12-2013, 10:54 PM
BoxOfChocolates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
Theoretically, the Avs could sign O'Reilly in 7 minutes, correct?
Yeah,

Old
01-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Adama0905

Sure as hell hope the Avs aren't stupid enough to deny their fans half a season and then follow up directly by not resigning arguably their best player. At this point, honestly, if the guy wants five mil a year for six years, you give it to him. They are in no position to be denying him a contract.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Nzap
BaltoBaltoBaltoBalto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
Sure as hell hope the Avs aren't stupid enough to deny their fans half a season and then follow up directly by not resigning arguably their best player. At this point, honestly, if the guy wants five mil a year for six years, you give it to him. They are in no position to be denying him a contract.
If the guy wants 5 mil for six years after 26p,26p,55p seasons then you trade him cause it seems he doesn't like the organisation, cause if you sign him it will 1) Show the other RFAs that the FO and GM are the players' ***** and 2) that causes Cap-problems real soon with players demanding too much for their skillsets.
Sherman isn't stupid, let him do the work. I'm sure he does what is best for the organization; be it dealing him, holding out or signing him to a contract.
I'm confident O'Reilly isn't searching for 5mil, this was just a response to the comment above.

And yes, RFA is restricted Free Agent, so the organisation is in a position to deny him a contract.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:09 AM
Lerb

hey guys, I'm dropping by as I planned to do when the season came back around. In regards to ROR, I was hoping I could have a few questions answers. It comes down to how much ROR is offered by the Avs now right? the 2 year deal in the KHL can be waived if the NHL offer is rich enough.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:02 AM
Nzap
BaltoBaltoBaltoBalto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
hey guys, I'm dropping by as I planned to do when the season came back around. In regards to ROR, I was hoping I could have a few questions answers. It comes down to how much ROR is offered by the Avs now right? the 2 year deal in the KHL can be waived if the NHL offer is rich enough.
If you believe in rumours, it is more about the term than the salary.

Old
01-13-2013, 08:02 AM
416Leafer

I'm sure you guys know and appreciate O'Rielly better than anyone, but I thought this was a really good article. Definitely makes him a guy any team would love to have.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1423

Old
01-13-2013, 08:14 AM
Bubba Thudd
Infer-Action!!!

vCash: 7757
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
I'm sure you guys know and appreciate O'Rielly better than anyone, but I thought this was a really good article. Definitely makes him a guy any team would love to have.

Pretty sure that link has already been posted in this thread.

Thanks for thinking about us, though. That's cool.

Old
01-13-2013, 08:16 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post

Someone posted it earlier, but thanks for bringing it up once again, it's definitely a great article about Radar and it makes me severly dissapointed with his current contract status.

Old
01-13-2013, 08:24 AM
Lord of Light
Sacrifice Benning

as an outsider, he is not worth 5 million a year if you consider last season an outlier from his 20 pt seasons

But it's not. A lot of teams would be fortunate to have a player of his calibre at 5 and 6 years, in fact it's a great contract if you think of it that way.

Yes there are some great RFA signing for significantly less than what they'll surely be worth a la Giroux but just consider that PA Parenteau and David Jones are getting paid 4M.

Just sign him, give him what he wants and trade him if you want. An asset like him staying in the KHL is a hge loss for this league. Honestly it's a no brainer... 6 years 30M would be drastic change in position but you will still have all 30 teams lining up if he is made avaliable.

If your GMs can't get this done, I don't know what to say. You guys have a great rebuild going and heading in the right direction with a bright future... As a Canucks fan it would actually be good for my team if he stayed in the K so you guys lose out on valuable assets. It's not like you will ever entertain the thought of trading him in the division. But as a fan of the game I am concerned.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:02 AM
Drizzt1

His Dad just tweeted that he's travelling to Russia in 15 days to watch Ryan play, and he's really excited. Don't know if this means anything?

Brian O'Reilly ‏@coachbri1
15 days to Russia seeing my boy play in the KHL. Can hardly wait!
Retweeted by Alex Browne
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

Old
01-13-2013, 09:08 AM
Qurpiz
The omniscient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
His Dad just tweeted that he's travelling to Russia in 15 days to watch Ryan play, and he's really excited. Don't know if this means anything?

Brian O'Reilly ‏@coachbri1
15 days to Russia seeing my boy play in the KHL. Can hardly wait!
Retweeted by Alex Browne
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite
Cal plays in the same team, right? Maybe he meant Cal? He's not saying "sons"

Old
01-13-2013, 09:11 AM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qurpiz View Post
Cal plays in the same team, right? Maybe he meant Cal? He's not saying "sons"
Yeah, that's what I thought and hoped to. Then again, I thought Cal was out with an injury for some time???? Dunno.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Cal is back in New York for Surgery.

I don't like that tweet honestly. Doesn't seem like something that would be said unless Oreilly really is planning to stay in Russia.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:23 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Pretty sure that link has already been posted in this thread.

Thanks for thinking about us, though. That's cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Someone posted it earlier, but thanks for bringing it up once again, it's definitely a great article about Radar and it makes me severly dissapointed with his current contract status.
As a Leafs fan, i definitely havent seen enoug of ROR to really have a personal opinion. But going by everything ive read, despite his breakout year, it sounds like league wide he's pretty undervalued.

Also I knew he was good defensively, but sounds like he's much better than i thought.

Likely underrated mostly due to where he was drafted. If he was a top ~15 pick, he'd get a lot more attention.

Last edited by 416Leafer: 01-13-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old
01-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Nzap
BaltoBaltoBaltoBalto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Cal is back in New York for Surgery.

I don't like that tweet honestly. Doesn't seem like something that would be said unless Oreilly really is planning to stay in Russia.
I still feel like O'Reilly is in no hurry at all getting back. Hope I'm wrong.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:13 AM
Goulet17

Okay, so it appears that Meehan's group represents Del Zotto, O'Reilly, and Subban.

Del Zotto signed a very team friendly deal with the Rangers this morning.

I do wonder if O'Reilly figures that it is just as easy to fulfill his contract in the KHL this season and make considerably more money than returning for a strike shortened NHL season.

I am starting to doubt that the Avs are really lowballing at this point.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
I still feel like O'Reilly is in no hurry at all getting back. Hope I'm wrong.
Agreed. I really hope he does come back, although at the same time I feel Oreillys value right now is as high as its ever been and may ever be, so trading him for a Top pairing Dman wouldn't be all that bad IMO.

But it seams weird for his dad to tweet that unless there really are no intentions of coming back from Oreilly.

Closed Thread