HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly Signs With Magnitogorsk (2-yr deal)

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Goulet17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Agreed. I really hope he does come back, although at the same time I feel Oreillys value right now is as high as its ever been and may ever be, so trading him for a Top pairing Dman wouldn't be all that bad IMO.

But it seams weird for his dad to tweet that unless there really are no intentions of coming back from Oreilly.
It is an interesting point about the tweet. For all we know, O'Reilly's agent encouraged to tweet to create potential leverage. Who really knows.

If the Avs have just started to renegotiate with O'Reilly and they see the tweet from his father, it could create an appearance in management's mind that he really has no intention of returning this season.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Avsboy

If O'Reilly stays in Russia he is putting a dent in his career.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Eurolanche
HFB Partner

Send a message via ICQ to Eurolanche Send a message via Skype™ to Eurolanche
Ryan O´Reilly´s name has been taken out of the official website of the Avs. We could see his name on the roster until today.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank

vCash: 50
That's cause they finally updated it for those who are participating at training camp.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
His Dad just tweeted that he's travelling to Russia in 15 days to watch Ryan play, and he's really excited. Don't know if this means anything?

Brian O'Reilly ‏@coachbri1
15 days to Russia seeing my boy play in the KHL. Can hardly wait!
Retweeted by Alex Browne
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite
Unless his dad is an idiot, he realizes how this sounds, so I can't imagine it's not intentional.

I bet the Avs are getting sick of players parents sticking their nose in team business.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 1000
It's Ryan's life, and Ryan's choice.
If he wants to **** it up, more power to him.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Unless his dad is an idiot, he realizes how this sounds, so I can't imagine it's not intentional.

I bet the Avs are getting sick of players parents sticking their nose in team business.
How is that sticking a nose anywhere near the Avs? He only said he's going to see his son play in 2 weeks, why the hell should the Avs be pissed off?

Old
01-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qurpiz View Post
How is that sticking a nose anywhere near the Avs? He only said he's going to see his son play in 2 weeks, why the hell should the Avs be pissed off?
If he said it intentionally to put pressure on the Avs (which I can't imagine not being the case), I'm sure it's getting annoying after Stastny's dad's comments.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
If he said it intentionally to put pressure on the Avs (which I can't imagine not being the case), I'm sure it's getting annoying after Stastny's dad's comments.
I'm interpreting that little stunt the same way.
And to be honest, I'm disappointed with ROR for going that route.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:11 PM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

His dads comments are definitely intentional. He's never tweeted about going to see his son play and it's quite obvious he's just tryin to create some leverage for Ryan. Sad to see this happening though, lockout once again will screw us over. I'm kind of losing respect for the guy now.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:19 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Paul couldn't control the comments his dad made anymore than Ryan can control what his dad says/tweets.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:20 PM
henchman24
If and if...

That tweet has to be intentional... If O'Reilly is going to play hardball like this after one breakout season, I can't imagine what he would do when this contract expires after he totally establishes himself at a top notch #2C. I hope this is all just posturing, but it is looking less so by the day.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Well, we don't know if he was involved. It could be exactly like the Stastny situation. He wasn't that happy his dad made those comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
His dads comments are definitely intentional. He's never tweeted about going to see his son play and it's quite obvious he's just tryin to create some leverage for Ryan. Sad to see this happening though, lockout once again will screw us over. I'm kind of losing respect for the guy now.
Exactly. He really needed to go to Russia to see his son play, and coincidentally the only time in his schedule was a couple weeks after the CBA was signed, and he coincidentally announced it the day NHL teams were allowed to begin signing players.

Kind of like, "Oh I'm so excited to go see Ryan in russia, I need to get on the computer and tell everyone. Oh wait, I forgot they just signed the CBA and he's supposed to be over here playing. Nevermind that, I'm just gonna tell everyone I'm going over there in two weeks to see him play, without acknowledging the possibility he could sign before then."

I'm starting to worry that everyone in this is dumb enough to go down this hardball route on a 21 year olds 2nd contract, especially after watching the NHL and NHLPA make ***** out of themselves doing the same thing.

This should be as simple as, sign long term for around $4M, or if you can't agree on money and term, sign the exact same deal Duchene did at two years, $3.5M per. This should have been done before the lockout. Quit trying to hit home runs everyone. You're not dealing with amateurs lobbing you softballs on the other side of the table.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:24 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Paul couldn't control the comments his dad made anymore than Ryan can control what his dad says/tweets.
A bit different situation. Peter Stastny was on the radio talking about hockey and was asked a question/opinion on the trade and he didn't have a filter. Brian O'Reilly had nobody asking him about this, and the expectation is that Ryan O'Reilly would be here shortly, that tweet says the opposite. They are a smart family, they knew what that tweets would say about the situation.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:28 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
A bit different situation. Peter Stastny was on the radio talking about hockey and was asked a question/opinion on the trade and he didn't have a filter. Brian O'Reilly had nobody asking him about this, and the expectation is that Ryan O'Reilly would be here shortly, that tweet says the opposite. They are a smart family, they knew what that tweets would say about the situation.
I'm not saying that the tweet wasn't intentional. I'm just saying that we don't know that Ryan was on board with it or even agreed to it.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:31 PM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

Honestly guys I guarantee you ror will be in an avs jersey once the season starts. What I have a hard time believing is whether we'll have ror starting next season. He's playing hardball and don't think management is impressed.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:32 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I'm not saying that the tweet wasn't intentional. I'm just saying that we don't know that Ryan was on board with it or even agreed to it.
Agreed, we don't know, but Brian O'Reilly is smart enough to know how it looks. I don't think he would put that out there without gauging the impact first.

The part that everybody is missing though is that Cal O'Reilly is close to healthy again and he will for sure still be there in two weeks.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Foppa2118

Ryan's dad should keep going with this ridiculous ploy and get on Instagram now. Then post a photo of him in one of those russian fur hats, drinking vodka, and waiving his plane tickets with the selective focus on "Non-Refundable."

Old
01-13-2013, 12:33 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Honestly guys I guarantee you ror will be in an avs jersey once the season starts. What I have a hard time believing is whether we'll have ror starting next season. He's playing hardball and don't think management is impressed.
This is exactly how I see it. A signed O'Reilly will bring a good return if he is traded, look at what Jordan Staal brought in. It wouldn't be that high, but still a hefty return.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:41 PM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

Do you guys think a ror for Mcdonagh trade would fair? Maybe we'd add a bit?

Old
01-13-2013, 12:46 PM
BoxOfChocolates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torr View Post
That's cause they finally updated it for those who are participating at training camp.
They originally updated it with the call ups and ROR was still included.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:53 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
So it's ok to start freaking out now? yah I figured the Avs would flub this up. Even if ROR signs the writing is on the wall his days as an Av are numbered. Its sad when the hardest working player on the team cant be resigned yet drunk Jones gets 4 mill.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:54 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
Do you guys think a ror for Mcdonagh trade would fair? Maybe we'd add a bit?
Rangers aren't trading McDonagh.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:54 PM
CobraAcesS

You know what... I hope O'Reilly's dad's comments are games. Because that means hes still fighting for a contract with Colorado.

If it's not a game, then there is a possibility that O'Reilly feels ok with playing the year out in the KHL.

Edit : I will say this... I'm not exactly 'THAT' opposed to seeing if Olver, Mitchell or Sgarbossa can handle the third line center position. At least for a couple games... It could raise their value immensely, as well as give us some security. O'Reilly is a RFA so at the very least we will get something for him from a team that is willing to meet his contract demands.

If he signs and offer-sheet, all we have to do is match it.

So seeing him return two or three games into the season wouldn't be the end of the world for me, besides it also 'forces' Sacco to try Landeskog with Stastny or Duchene.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:02 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
This has the makin of Chris Drury 2.0 all over. After Sherman and Lacroix trade ROR for Ryan Parent they should officially retire numbers #18 and #37

Closed Thread