HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly Signs With Magnitogorsk (2-yr deal)

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2013, 03:32 PM
billybobjoe1881

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Maybe ROR is just really pissed about the lockout still. And maybe he really likes the KHL. maybe he really just wants to play over there with his brother.
I'm hoping that's the only issue.

Old
01-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobjoe1881 View Post
I'm hoping that's the only issue.
Well, it could be a big issue, if he decides to stay there for the remainder of his KHL contract.

Old
01-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

I think O'Reilly is bluffing and he would hate to spend another year and half in Russia, only to have Avs still have his rights when that contract expires.

His agent is hoping Avs will blink and when time gets short O'Reilly will be desperate to get something done. I'd be very surprised if they get a huge contract out of Avs right now.

It's like with the CBA. It would make no sense to lose a year for either party. But they'll huff and puff for a bit.

Old
01-13-2013, 03:59 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I'm going to say that O'Reilly will either be with the team to start the season, or he will be traded. So Saturday next week, Radar will either be on the squad or we'll have a shiny new toy to get stoked about.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
I'm going to say that O'Reilly will either be with the team to start the season, or he will be traded. So Saturday next week, Radar will either be on the squad or we'll have a shiny new toy to get stoked about.
Yea it doesn't make sense for them to wait. They'll potentially lose value, and he could end up getting injured and kill his value. Makes more sense to sign him or trade him now, especially when Phoenix is in the market for a #2 center, and Yandle reportedly may be in play.

NHL season starts Saturday. This gets resolved Thursday night at the latest, giving time for Ryan to make it to whoever his NHL team is by game 1. He's already in game shape, no need for camp.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
I really hope O'Reilly is back but I wouldn't complain about having Yandle or OEL one bit......

Old
01-13-2013, 04:09 PM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I think O'Reilly is bluffing and he would hate to spend another year and half in Russia, only to have Avs still have his rights when that contract expires.

His agent is hoping Avs will blink and when time gets short O'Reilly will be desperate to get something done. I'd be very surprised if they get a huge contract out of Avs right now.

It's like with the CBA. It would make no sense to lose a year for either party. But they'll huff and puff for a bit.
Couldn't agree more. Thats exactly whats happening.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:10 PM
Foppa2118

moved to trade thread

Old
01-13-2013, 04:15 PM
SlyAvs
smokin Joe

Good day for "NHL IS BACK" but sad day for Avs and RoR ,2 days without talking ? Over 30 gms left in KHL ?

Old
01-13-2013, 04:16 PM
Steve Varmalov
And Then....

I'm to the point where we either sign him here REAL soon or trade him and let another team deal with his BS

Old
01-13-2013, 04:19 PM
SlyAvs
smokin Joe

Quote:

Yes well said ,i agree and wish O'really gets back for season start

Old
01-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

vCash: 735
Funny, I remember a time when people high on Kool-Aid were saying how Kroenkes will start shoveling out the dosh for all RFAs once the new CBA is in place.

Seems like it's the cap floor for the foreseeable future. Again.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qurpiz View Post
Funny, I remember a time when people high on Kool-Aid were saying how Kroenkes will start shoveling out the dosh for all RFAs once the new CBA is in place.

Avs are already above next years cap floor with 19 players signed. Just because the team can spend doesn't mean they won't try to spend money wisely.

One extra million a year to O'Reilly is one million you can't spend on something else down the line.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:32 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:

Do you always make sweeping judgments at the starting line?

Old
01-13-2013, 04:32 PM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:

Out of context you could argue that, but when you take into consideration what the other contracts on the team are like and what he is asking, it doesn't mesh. I'm sorry but you don't give ROR a 5mil/per up to UFA for one season in which he scored over 50 because he was playing with Landeskog.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Do you always make sweeping judgments at the starting line?
Yes. It has held me back in life immensely

Old
01-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Funny thing is that when he gets signed we can't celebrate, because it might be a sign and trade.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

Quote:
Avs are already above next years cap floor with 19 players signed. Just because the team can spend doesn't mean they won't try to spend money wisely.

One extra million a year to O'Reilly is one million you can't spend on something else down the line.
According to capgeek Avs are at $49,258,333 for 13-14 season, with the cap at $64,300,000. Throw in ROR with 5M per and there's still 10M left, Hejduk, Kobasew and O'Byrne are without contract for that season from the main roster. I'm counting on LEM to provide the replacement for O'Byrne, Hejduk and Kobasew can be replaced with anything, sad to say that about Milan.

Point I'm trying to make is signing RoR for 5M per is not going take this team into turmoil, it's just management being cheap

Old
01-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
According to capgeek Avs are at $49,258,333 for 13-14 season, with the cap at $64,300,000. Throw in ROR with 5M per and there's still 10M left, Hejduk, Kobasew and O'Byrne are without contract for that season from the main roster. I'm counting on LEM to provide the replacement for O'Byrne, Hejduk and Kobasew can be replaced with anything, sad to say that about Milan.

Point I'm trying to make is signing RoR for 5M per is not going take this team into turmoil, it's just management being cheap
It's a matter of principle. RoR at $5 million is affordable for this team but completely unfair in the context of this league, let alone this team.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:

It doesn't matter if we have the money or not, it is the fact that he shouldn't be getting what he is asking for.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post
It's a matter of principle. RoR at $5 million is affordable for this team but completely unfair in the context of this league, let alone this team.
That's all fine and well but I'm not ready to lose RoR because of a team principle of low-balling everyone to save some money

Edit: I'd be okay with paying ROR 5 per. Not for Duchene, yet. But definetely for O'Reilly. Yes I am a fan of his.

Old
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:

I don't equate trying to sign contracts that are good value as being cheap. I think it's a sign of a competent front office.

Let's see how all this shakes out before making any sweeping judgments about Kroenke, Sherman and O'Reilly. We don't know if any of them are being unreasonable, greedy or cheap at this point.

Old
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:

I am usually in the Avs are cheap camp.
But you can't really give ROR 5M a year right now.
Sets a bad bad example. ROR has one season where he showed great offensive production. He is a RFA right now. He should not get 5 M. You could talk me into it if he signs an 8 year deal.
8yr 40 M. Well that would maybe acceptable but still too rich.

We can't pay him 5 M for 4 years and watch him walk than while all our other young guys point to ROR and want big money.
ROR should get the same contract as Duchene or a 6yr x 4.25-4.5M deal.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Hans Landaskog

Exactly, if we pay him 5mil now it will inflate future contracts for the team. I'd rather them low-ball players and keep a solid core than the alternative.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:54 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

ROR simply isn't worth 5m yet. If he had 3 55 point seasons instead of one, I would be inclined to hand out that deal, but he has 1 and that season was next to Landeskog. If that is what he wants, I am all for shipping him out and getting back some defensive help. It will improve this team overall.

Closed Thread