HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly Signs With Magnitogorsk (2-yr deal)

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Rhaego

vCash: 500
If I were Sherman, I'd give O'Reilly a deadline to sign. If he doesn't before then, he can rot in Russia I guess.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:13 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
If I were Sherman, I'd give O'Reilly a deadline to sign. If he doesn't before then, he can rot in Russia I guess.
Me too. Offer him $3.75M for three years. Say "Take it or leave it, otherwise we will sign a free agent center and return to you in the summer, and if you haven't changed your mind then, we will let you stay in Russia another year and then trade your rights to which ever club offers the most"

Old
01-13-2013, 05:23 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by klozge View Post
Ryan O'Reilly contract talks with #Aves ongoing while he remains in Russia. Same ballpark with Benn, Subban seeking 5M per on long term deal
https://twitter.com/RealKyper/status/290537279607406592

"Aves" is bad enough. Same ballpark with guys demanding 5M per year better be BS as well.
Yeah and Ryan Rishaud ALSO reported that Matt Duchene was looking for "Doughty type money" only to have him sign for HALF that much like 3 weeks later. [how the **** do you MISS by $3.5M ]

Facts are, people make stuff up. Kypreos is a giant tool. Just how he flipped flopped his views during the lockout from "what the owners are proposing are going to keep the players from earning their money and keeping salaries down" to "salaries are going to go back up just like they always have" as soon as the deal was signed is absolutely pathetic. Either you believe something or you don't.

I'd be extremely surprised to find out that RoR is looking for $5M per season.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:36 PM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Yeah and Ryan Rishaud ALSO reported that Matt Duchene was looking for "Doughty type money" only to have him sign for HALF that much like 3 weeks later. [how the **** do you MISS by $3.5M ]

Facts are, people make stuff up. Kypreos is a giant tool. Just how he flipped flopped his views during the lockout from "what the owners are proposing are going to keep the players from earning their money and keeping salaries down" to "salaries are going to go back up just like they always have" as soon as the deal was signed is absolutely pathetic. Either you believe something or you don't.

I'd be extremely surprised to find out that RoR is looking for $5M per season.
Remember it is the agent, not the player. RoR has nothing to do with negotiations. If it was just the player and the team it would take 20 minutes.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Lerb

I don't really understand this move. A kid who's just starting a career pulling a stunt like this over $1.5M different at the most. Buckle down, sign a contract, play hard, earn your next contract. Instead, he's flipping off the Avs, the fans, his teammates no less as well as any future suitors. If it's a 35 year old vet like Doan pulling something like this, I'd be cool with it. ROR though? Immaturity really does flow through the Avs locker room I guess

Agent still very much goes by the word and wishes of his clients. The what is mostly dictated by his client. The how is up to the agent.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:54 PM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
I don't really understand this move. A kid who's just starting a career pulling a stunt like this over $1.5M different at the most. Buckle down, sign a contract, play hard, earn your next contract. Instead, he's flipping off the Avs, the fans, his teammates no less as well as any future suitors. If it's a 35 year old vet like Doan pulling something like this, I'd be cool with it. ROR though? Immaturity really does flow through the Avs locker room I guess

Agent still very much goes by the word and wishes of his clients. The what is mostly dictated by his client. The how is up to the agent.
I don't believe that that is how it works. The agents job is to know the market and know what his client should be getting. They make a percentage and try and squeeze as much as possible out of the teams. Now in saying that, if RoR wasn't happy with how it was being handled he would fire his agent.

I remember a Bruins goaltender (Dafoe?) had to hold out. He finally fired his agent, went to management representing himself and had a deal that day.

And I agree with most. It isn't like RoR just won the hart trophy. He shouldn't be looking for a long term deal. He should sign a Duchene type deal and hopefully make more money in a few years when this team has achieved something.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:56 PM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

Jordan Staal signed a multi year deal at a cap hit of 6mil. His top point production was 50 points and that happened last season... I think the ROR have a strong case. Sherman will have to bite the bullet and give him something like 6 x 4.75M IMO...

Edit: FYI, to state the obvious, ROR had 55 pts last season (his third)

Old
01-13-2013, 05:59 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

He hasn't missed a game and the numbers being reported might not even be true but some people are already turning on him. Sad.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by WornWithPride View Post
Jordan Staal signed a multi year deal at a cap hit of 6mil. His top point production was 50 points and that happened last season... I think the ROR have a strong case. Sherman will have to bite the bullet and give him something like 6 x 4.75M IMO...

Edit: FYI, to state the obvious, ROR had 55 pts last season (his third)
You're ignoring the vast difference of a separate team overpaying for a better player than O'Reilly that also was an upcoming UFA and Eric Staal's brother, versus an RFA with one good season coming off his entry level deal.

O'Reilly has n business holding out for more than $4M. If he thinks he's worth more, he should quit being a prima donna and sign a short term deal and prove he's worth more.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:03 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
He hasn't missed a game and the numbers being reported might not even be true but some people are already turning on him. Sad.
Signing for 2 years in Russia really left a bad taste in lots of people's mouths IMO. Not that far off a Radulov sort of deal, the only difference was that Radulov left with a year left on his deal. A player can be hard working and a big time character player, and still be the type to hold out for every last dollar they can get. From what we know so far, it seems like that is the case. Doesn't make ROR a bad person or player, but maybe one that fans don't care much about keeping (nobody knows management's opinion right now).

Old
01-13-2013, 06:07 PM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
You're ignoring the vast difference of a team overpaying for a better player than O'Reilly that also was an upcoming UFA and Eric Staal's brother, versus an RFA with one good season coming off his entry level deal.
I didn't give him 6M either. 4.75M is 1.25M off of what Staal makes, which more than accounts for the difference in talent and the over-payment. IMO, you don't get money by being someone's brother, especially not after 7 years in the league where your potential is more than well known.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
I didn't give him 6M either. 4.75M is 1.25M off of what Staal makes, which more than accounts for the difference in talent and the over-payment. IMO, you don't get money by being someone's brother, especially not after 7 years in the league where your potential is more than well known.
Staal had leverage and O'Reilly doesn't. Its a totally different situation not to mention that Staal was overpaid

Old
01-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Carolina clearly gave him a contract most teams would not, and it was based mostly on the benefit of team chemistry, and added publicity and ticket sales. I don't think you can compare a situation like that to O'Reilly, even if O'Reilly was four years older, and an upcoming UFA.

I've been backing O'Reilly throughout the lockout, and downplaying the significance of this, mostly because I thought they would come to terms right after seeing what the CBA was. Basically having worked out a few scenarios before hand.

But, his signing in Russia, and the fact that he's only on his second deal and expecting the team to do what HE wants, and his dad's comments, and I've really soured quickly on him. I'm in shock he would do this, but that's how it's playing out.

The real cold hard fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter what the Avalanche are offering him. It doesn't matter if he's insisting on $5M for 4+ years, or whether he's insisting on $4M for 4+ years, or even $3.5M for 4+ years. The later two scenarios the Avs would also hold blame for being cheap, but the real problem is he's 21, and INSISTING on money long term after one good season, and only on his second contract. That's not how things work, and he's nowhere near the superstar treatment he's expecting.

If the Avs are being cheap, that's their stupidity, but he's not in a position to make demands and hold out. With him leading the team in scoring last season, there's no way the Avs could offer him less then Duchene's short term deal. He NEEDS to sign that if they can't come to terms on a long term deal. If he's taking the position of it's a long term deal or nothing, then he's in the wrong and forcing the team's hand to trade him on principle.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:23 PM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

Quote:
Staal had leverage and O'Reilly doesn't. Its a totally different situation not to mention that Staal was overpaid
I don't get it. What's he worth to you guys? 3.5M for 2 years like Duchene? Or 3.75M for four years like EJ? Its not because Sherman got great deals on two players that everyone else signing under him should get screwed just the same. Duchene's salary was rolled around these boards for ages between 4-4.5M, same with EJ. I know I wouldn't have been surprised seeing them signed at those numbers, and I'd give the same money to ROR. Is he worth 4.75? No, but he can make a case that he is, and sign in the region (4.25-4.75). Problem is, Sherman's looking to low-ball him like he did EJ and Duchene, and ROR is having none of it.
Good for him.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:27 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
I don't get it. What's he worth to you guys? 3.5M for 2 years like Duchene? Or 3.75M for four years like EJ? Its not because Sherman got great deals on two players that everyone else signing under him should get screwed just the same. Duchene's salary was rolled around these boards for ages between 4-4.5M, same with EJ. I know I wouldn't have been surprised seeing them signed at those numbers, and I'd give the same money to ROR. Is he worth 4.75? No, but he can make a case that he is, and sign in the region (4.25-4.75). Problem is, Sherman's looking to low-ball him like he did EJ and Duchene, and ROR is having none of it.
Good for him.
We don't know if that's true. All speculation.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:30 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Carolina clearly gave him a contract most teams would not, and it was based mostly on the benefit of team chemistry, and added publicity and ticket sales. I don't think you can compare a situation like that to O'Reilly, even if O'Reilly was four years older, and an upcoming UFA.

I've been backing O'Reilly throughout the lockout, and downplaying the significance of this, mostly because I thought they would come to terms right after seeing what the CBA was. Basically having worked out a few scenarios before hand.

But, his signing in Russia, and the fact that he's only on his second deal and expecting the team to do what HE wants, and his dad's comments, and I've really soured quickly on him. I'm in shock he would do this, but that's how it's playing out.

The real cold hard fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter what the Avalanche are offering him. It doesn't matter if he's insisting on $5M for 4+ years, or whether he's insisting on $4M for 4+ years, or even $3.5M for 4+ years. The later two scenarios the Avs would also hold blame for being cheap, but the real problem is he's 21, and INSISTING on money long term after one good season, and only on his second contract. That's not how things work, and he's nowhere near the superstar treatment he's expecting.

If the Avs are being cheap, that's their stupidity, but he's not in a position to make demands and hold out. With him leading the team in scoring last season, there's no way the Avs could offer him less then Duchene's short term deal. He NEEDS to sign that if they can't come to terms on a long term deal. If he's taking the position of it's a long term deal or nothing, then he's in the wrong and forcing the team's hand to trade him on principle.
Im really really really hopeing its NOT a case of management being cheap I really do. Im not gonna turn on ROR quite yet unless he actually wanted 5 mill for 5 years. 5 years im ok with but nothing north of 4 mill per.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Freudian
Regress to meanness

So I got this "O'Reilly has poopy pants" tattoo.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:48 PM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
So I got this "O'Reilly has poopy pants" tattoo.
I was thinking of something great for my first tattoo. This is a good idea. I also thought of a Skoula tattoo with Puck Poise underneath.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Rhaego

Kulikov for O'Reilly scares me now. Looked at the Panthers board and they were debating who was better between MDZ and Kulikov and some were still picking MDZ

Old
01-13-2013, 06:55 PM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

So I went on NHL 13 and signed him for a two year deal worth 2.75M. I wonder if Sherman can take this to his agent to help him out.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Freaky Styley

Quote:
He also signed the contract 1 year away from his UFA years, and when the cap was 70.3M

Old
01-13-2013, 06:57 PM
Lonewolfe2015

You guys are concentrating on the wrong Staal contract. His first one is what O'Reilly wants.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:01 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
You guys are concentrating on the wrong Staal contract. His first one is what O'Reilly wants.

4 year(s) $16,000,000 UFA
2009: $3,500,000 4,000,000
2010: $3,500,000 4,000,000
2011: $4,500,000 4,000,000
2012: $4,500,000 4,000,000

Eh... O'Reilly does not quite deserve this yet and O'Reilly's offensive potential was never billed to be as high as Staal's, hence Staal being drafted in the first round. (Second overall)

Staal also put up 29G & 42P in his first season, as well as 22G & 49P in his third year... I'd say Staal had proven himself quite a bit more than O'Reilly has.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:02 PM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
4 years @ 4M AAV

4 year(s) $16,000,000 UFA
2009: $3,500,000 4,000,000
2010: $3,500,000 4,000,000
2011: $4,500,000 4,000,000
2012: $4,500,000 4,000,000
If this is what he wants, I don't know what the hold up is. Although I'd rather something either shorter (2 years) or longer (5-6)

Old
01-13-2013, 07:09 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
If this is what he wants, I don't know what the hold up is. Although I'd rather something either shorter (2 years) or longer (5-6)
If that is what he wants I know exactly what the hold up is... HE HASN'T EARNED it. He's had one season at Staal's level... Not two or three...

I could see, 3.5M, 3.5M, 3.75, 4M, 4M but those two 4.5M years... No..

Closed Thread