HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly Signs With Magnitogorsk (2-yr deal)

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Avsboy

vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind paying him a bit more than our best young players. He did lead the league in takeaways and was our leading scorer last year. $4 million a year is doable.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:04 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I disagree. I think there are probably a fair amount of teams that would gamble and give him that kind of contract. I don't think it's smart, but he's the kind of player GMs have a man crush on kinda like Mike Richards.

I could see Toronto or Florida giving him a deal like that, or possibly SJ or Dallas. Not sure what they have to offer to make the Avs interested though in terms of D. To me the only team out there that has something worth while that could possibly be moved is Phoenix and Yandle. I think Maloney might ask for too much in addition to ROR to make it work though.
In all honesty, I think we're all getting carried away thinking that he might be traded. We don't know if the Avs are the team that Maloney was referring to, no hints were dropped about it, and no one like Dreger or McKenzie has said anything about it at all.

I will admit, I thought a lot about an O'Reilly trade last night and today, ultimately I don't want to see him go. I think we're all getting a little premature though about this whole ordeal (myself included).

Old
01-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
In all honesty, I think we're all getting carried away thinking that he might be traded. We don't know if the Avs are the team that Maloney was referring to, no hints were dropped about it, and no one like Dreger or McKenzie has said anything about it at all.

I will admit, I thought a lot about an O'Reilly trade last night and today, ultimately I don't want to see him go. I think we're all getting a little premature though about this whole ordeal (myself included).
I don't think so. At best I'd say its 50-50 at this point and that's because he wasn't traded last night, and they are still talking according to Chambers.

This situation could go either way. It's like a prize fight where two fighters have unique styles that clash with one another and result in a war. O'Reilly is playing real hardball and trying to force them to do what he wants with his KHL deal, and the Avs despise doing business like that, and are still relatively in cheap mode. It's a bad combo.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:31 PM
TheStranger

Sorry I must have missed something,. what trade rumours are we talking about?

Old
01-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
If you meant my still talking comment, I probably didn't structure that sentence correctly. Still talking as in still talking contract according to Chambers.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Avs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Some guy on twitter speculated that it was O'Reilly for Yandle that was taken off the table yesterday by the Avs.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
Some guy on twitter speculated that it was O'Reilly for Yandle that was taken off the table yesterday by the Avs.
I think he's probably one of about a million hockey fans that had the same thought.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Avalanche
@imlouied

Quote:
Mike Chambers ‏@MChambersDP

Word is O'Reilly making $4M prorated in Russia and happy, and #Avalanche not willing to give him $4M 5 years. Yes, he might stay in KHL

jesus....

Old
01-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Avs71

This guy. Can anyone see his followers? I thought someone mentioned he had some hockey media guys following him.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:52 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

I would maybe stretch to $4.0M for him, remember he has just had ONE season with 50+ points.

Tyler Arnason hade 49 points in a season for the Avs....

I do understand that the Avs are not very happy about this whole KHL move from Ryan to force Avs to pay up for him.

The money might not even be the issue, it could still be that Avs doesnt want to see him as an UFA when it expires.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 0
I don't see how a five year $20M deal would be bad for Avs if that's what O'Reilly is asking for. At worst he'll be overpaid by a million. At best he'll be underpaid by a million.

Even if he were to have a Horcoffian development offensively, he still has shutdown defense ability.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:56 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
I would maybe stretch to $4.0M for him, remember he has just had ONE season with 50+ points.

Tyler Arnason hade 49 points in a season for the Avs....

I do understand that the Avs are not very happy about this whole KHL move from Ryan to force Avs to pay up for him.

The money might not even be the issue, it could still be that Avs doesnt want to see him as an UFA when it expires.
Or the headache that has already been caused by this whole situation. Even if ROR is signed this week I won't feel comfortable about him being here long term until next season. It just feels like this could turn into a Turris situation where you sign a player and a week later he is traded away.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:58 PM
S3rkie

welp, pretty sure if thats true, hes as good as done with the avs. No way they shell out that for one season of 50 pts esp, after he/his agent tried forcing their hand.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Avsboy

If there really was a Yandle-O'Reilly trade on the table I can't believe Sherman hasn't pulled the trigger. Until he proves consistency, RoR is still only a very good #3 line center or a decent #2. He isn't worth $4 million for 5 years.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I don't see how a five year $20M deal would be bad for Avs if that's what O'Reilly is asking for. At worst he'll be overpaid by a million. At best he'll be underpaid by a million.

Even if he were to have a Horcoffian development offensively, he still has shutdown defense ability.
It's all speculation right now but it seems like the Avs are completely against doing a five year deal because they want him to be a RFA at the end of the contract.

Also, just a couple of days ago didn't Chambers say he wants a five year deal at around $3.5M/yr?

Old
01-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Jeff_Dyck_#1
Est. MMII

"Talking points memos"

The Avalanche stinks.
The franchise is cheap.
Ownership doesn't care.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:08 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

While I would do a 5 year 20m deal, I can understand why the organization would be hesitant to do it. If you commit to ROR for that period, you also commit to losing one of Duchene or Stastny in a couple years. You don't want to have to lose one #2C and then lose another one 3 years later if you can avoid it.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:08 PM
S3rkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Dyck_#1 View Post
"Talking points memos"

The Avalanche stinks.
The franchise is cheap.
Ownership doesn't care.
lol do people really want them to give every player the contract they want? Everyone would be overpaid and we'd be stuck at the ceiling with no room to improve a mediocre team. All the stingyness is about to pay off next offseason when a lot of other teams will have to unload a contract or two and cant afford any of the higher paid ufas. Take off the hyper critical homer goggles. This isnt a cup team as of now and O'reilly hasnt earned that contract yet.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:10 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche View Post
jesus....
Ok that's it. Ship him out. I think I'd probably give in and give him the 4x5, but the fact that he's acting this way and that he's comfortable playing in Russia, and will only sign a long term deal, and one that doesn't eat up any UFA years is absolutely insanse. What the hell happened to the O'Reilly we all knew? This is making Winnik's outlandish demands look like Duchene and EJ during the summer.

Amazing how he could go from my 1st or 2nd favorite player to me just wanting him off the team in the matter of a day or two. How can he be so selfish and arrogant on just his second contract with one 55 point season? Are you kidding me? He must want off the team for some reason that's the only way this makes sense.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:13 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Ok that's it. Ship him out. I think I'd probably give in and give him the 4x5, but the fact that he's acting this way and that he's comfortable playing in Russia, and will only sign a long term deal, and one that doesn't eat up any UFA years is absolutely insanse. What the hell happened to the O'Reilly we all knew? This is making Winnik's outlandish demands look like Duchene and EJ during the summer.

Amazing how he could go from my 1st or 2nd favorite player to me just wanting him off the team in the matter of a day or two. How can he be so selfish and arrogant on just his second contract with one 55 point season? Are you kidding me? He must want off the team for some reason that's the only way this makes sense.
Depends for who. I'm so down for Yandle on this team.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:16 PM
S3rkie

Either Yandle or Kulikov and I'd be happy.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Jeff_Dyck_#1
Est. MMII

Trade him. Plenty of teams will give him 4x5.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:

That is pretty amazing. Especially since me, you, and everyone else have no idea what he is actually asking for and what the Avs are offering him. Relax and see how all of this plays out.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:21 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

He'd fit perfectly in Phoenix. Make a deal for Yandle or Oliver Ekman-Larsson.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post
Depends for who. I'm so down for Yandle on this team.
Yea I agree. I just meant that I went from being ok with him back on the team to wanting him out now. He's acting like he doesn't even care if he's on the team or not, and happy in Russia. Fine then. Obviously not the kind of player you want on the team anyway if that's the case.

I still think they should do what I said earlier, and wait until the deadline or draft and get max value for him if they can't land Yandle. I just hope his attitude hasn't permanently damaged that value.

It's like he turned into Radulov or had a psychotic break during the summer or something. Russians give more of a **** about playing in the NHL than he does.

Closed Thread