HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly Signs With Magnitogorsk (2-yr deal)

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
When is the trade deadline this year, anyway?

Old
01-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
That is pretty amazing. Especially since me, you, and everyone else have no idea what he is actually asking for and what the Avs are offering him. Relax and see how all of this plays out.
It's amazingly naive if you think it's normal that he signed the deal he did in Russia and hasn't accepted a short term deal by now, and don't buy the reports that he wants a $4M five year deal. I'd imagine if that's not exactly what he wants its very close. It's not like Post reporters come out with actual numbers or rumors all the time about the Avs. It's probably pretty accurate.

He should have done what Duchene did a long time ago. He doesn't deserve any special treatment and that's exactly how he's acted no matter what numbers you think they're talking about. Any player worth keeping would just sign a one or two year deal if they wanted to be on the team or play in the NHL. Not sign a two year deal in Russia and threaten to stay there if you don't get what you want. As a 21 year old with one 55 point season? Please. This should have never gotten this far. And I'm saying this as someone who probably would have caved and taken the chance on a 4x5 with him, and also backed him up the entire lockout!

Old
01-14-2013, 04:37 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

vCash: 500
Lucky we didnt give him the C, and no, I dont think he would have handled this negotiations any diffrently if he was namned captain.

Any organization would be pissed seeing their leading pointscorer from last season leaving the country and putting a ransom on himself to come back.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Avsboy

This needs to be resolved by January 19. Either sign RoR or trade him for something (Yandle is pretty unlikely but there must be a d-man out there). This team as it is is pretty lacklustre and we can;t afford a 1-3 or 0-4 start.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:39 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post
This needs to be resolved by January 19. Either sign RoR or trade him for something (Yandle is pretty unlikely but there must be a d-man out there). This team as it is is pretty lacklustre and we can;t afford a 1-3 or 0-4 start.
I'm sure it will be one way or another.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Jeff_Dyck_#1
Est. MMII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I still think they should do what I said earlier, and wait until the deadline or draft and get max value for him if they can't land Yandle. I just hope his attitude hasn't permanently damaged that value.

AVS with a lineup stacked with superstars, they can afford to wait for the right deal to come to them.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:41 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

How big is his trade value whilst he still is unsigned and sitting in Russia? Probably alot less than what we think.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Dyck_#1 View Post

AVS with a lineup stacked with superstars, they can afford to wait for the right deal to come to them.
It will be a painful year but I think it's better than trading a guy like O'Reilly for a risky or unproven young D. They could end up getting completely shafted if they don't get the right deal for him.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:45 PM
S3rkie

vCash: 140
you'd think with the whole lockout garbage, hed be sick of waiting on negotiations. Guess he took the get what we think we deserve rhetoric to heart.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
How big is his trade value whilst he still is unsigned and sitting in Russia? Probably alot less than what we think.
That may be true but it may not. GM's have gotten quite good deals lately by drawing out the process of trading a guy that wants out, and waiting for a team to get desperate enought to give you the right deal.

The hit to his value staying in Russia might be superceded by the desperation of a GM looking to make a playoff push. Or a team faced with losing a player to UFA in the summer.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:46 PM
S3rkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
When is the trade deadline this year, anyway?
April 4th im pretty sure they said. Not positive though.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:47 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Eh... his value probably isn't hurt at all right now, even if he played out the year in the KHL it wouldn't be extremely hurt. The type of center that ROR is, is fairly rare in the NHL and if the rumored 5yr 20m is true, there are plenty of teams that would line up to sign him to that deal.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:48 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
I guarantee you there are some GMs who love this kid and are willing to pay a premium for him. We better hope so at least.

This whole situation gets more and more incredible every second I think about it. There must be a difference of 0.5$-1 million between parties per year and RoR is being a stubborn ****** about the situation wanting "a more lucrative deal" than his KHL offering.

What's worse is that our lineup looks like complete ass without O'Reilly in it. With RoR in the lineup we have one of the better top 9s in the league, but without him we revert to a 2 line team and our top 6 looks like the Islanders.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
It's amazingly naive if you think it's normal that he signed the deal he did in Russia and hasn't accepted a short term deal by now, and don't buy the reports that he wants a $4M five year deal. I'd imagine if that's not exactly what he wants its very close. It's not like Post reporters come out with actual numbers or rumors all the time about the Avs. It's probably pretty accurate.

He should have done what Duchene did a long time ago. He doesn't deserve any special treatment and that's exactly how he's acted no matter what numbers you think they're talking about. Any player worth keeping would just sign a one or two year deal if they wanted to be on the team or play in the NHL. Not sign a two year deal in Russia and threaten to stay there if you don't get what you want. As a 21 year old with one 55 point season? Please. This should have never gotten this far. And I backed him up the entire lockout!
Dater gave a wide range of what O'Reilly wants because he doesn't know. Two or three days ago Chambers said he wants a five year deal for around $3.5M/yr. Now on the day the report comes about O'Reilly's KHL contract, Chambers says he's hearing O'Reilly really wants a five year, $20M contract. Right.

I also don't think he needs to accept a short term deal like the one Duchene got. Duchene had an awful season and O'Reilly had a great season. O'Reilly's two prior seasons weren't very good (offensively) but it has always been "what have you done for me lately". Players coming off of good seasons get paid and players coming off of poor seasons don't. Duchene didn't do **** last season so he signed a two year deal for decent money. Telling O'Reilly to accept a two year deal because Duchene did or saying he can't make more money than Duchene/EJ is an insult.

Asking for five years, $20M is very reasonable IMO. I would love a deal similar to the ones Jones and Parenteau signed.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Dater gave a wide range of what O'Reilly wants because he doesn't know. Two or three days ago Chambers said he wants a five year deal for around $3.5M/yr. Now on the day the report comes about O'Reilly's KHL contract, Chambers says he's hearing O'Reilly really wants a five year, $20M contract. Right.

I also don't think he needs to accept a short term deal like the one Duchene got. Duchene had an awful season and O'Reilly had a great season. O'Reilly's two prior seasons weren't very good (offensively) but it has always been "what have you done for me lately". Players coming off of good seasons get paid and players coming off of poor seasons don't. Duchene didn't do **** last season so he signed a two year deal for decent money. Telling O'Reilly to accept a two year deal because Duchene did or saying he can't make more money than Duchene/EJ is an insult.

Asking for five years, $20M is very reasonable IMO. I would love a deal similar to the ones Jones and Parenteau signed.
Why do you guys keep talking about the numbers like that even matters at this point? What has he proven to say its my way or the highway at 21, and sign a two year deal in Russia that forces the team to match it?????

That's all that needs to be said.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Jeff_Dyck_#1
Est. MMII

Quote:
I guarantee you there are some GMs who love this kid and are willing to pay a premium for him. We better hope so at least.

This whole situation gets more and more incredible every second I think about it. There must be a difference of 0.5$-1 million between parties per year and RoR is being a stubborn ****** about the situation wanting "a more lucrative deal" than his KHL offering.

What's worse is that our lineup looks like complete ass without O'Reilly in it. With RoR in the lineup we have one of the better top 9s in the league, but without him we revert to a 2 line team and our top 6 looks like the Islanders.
Do you think Sherman is smart enough to realise that?

Old
01-14-2013, 04:55 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:

Our top 6 would still be pretty good (top half of the league).

Stastny 2 time all star and a given to score 50 points in a 82 game season, cracked 70 3 times
Duchene 1 time all star and been over 50 points 2 of 3 seasons
Landeskog all star potential and scored 52 points as a rookie
PAP scored 67 points last year and 53 before that
McGinn 20g last season and looks prime to score 15 in this shortened season
Jones scored 20g or more the last two seasons

While the top 6 doesn't have elite talent. There are 3 players that have 1st line talent or played at that level before, and the other 3 are solid second line players. This doesn't mention that Downie could be a solid 2nd line wing and if Hejduk returns to form he could be a 2nd line player again.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:57 PM
cgf

Quote:
Yea I agree. I just meant that I went from being ok with him back on the team to wanting him out now. He's acting like he doesn't even care if he's on the team or not, and happy in Russia. Fine then. Obviously not the kind of player you want on the team anyway if that's the case.

I still think they should do what I said earlier, and wait until the deadline or draft and get max value for him if they can't land Yandle. I just hope his attitude hasn't permanently damaged that value.

It's like he turned into Radulov or had a psychotic break during the summer or something. Russians give more of a **** about playing in the NHL than he does.
lol overreaction much?

Old
01-14-2013, 04:58 PM
iceberg

Quote:

Exactly, if that is all O'Reilly is asking for, Sherman should have signed him already!!! No excuse!!!

Hope that is not true and O'Reilly is asking for more, because you can not defend this FO if that report is true.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:59 PM
S3rkie

Quote:
You are comparing RFA and UFA contracts. He hasn't been playing long enough in an important enough role to warrant this big of a contract. Dumb thing is, if he signed a smaller deal and showed progression hed play himself into an even bigger contract.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Our top 6 would still be pretty good (top half of the league).

Stastny 2 time all star and a given to score 50 points in a 82 game season, cracked 70 3 times
Duchene 1 time all star and been over 50 points 2 of 3 seasons
Landeskog all star potential and scored 52 points as a rookie
PAP scored 67 points last year and 53 before that
McGinn 20g last season and looks prime to score 15 in this shortened season
Jones scored 20g or more the last two seasons

While the top 6 doesn't have elite talent. There are 3 players that have 1st line talent or played at that level before, and the other 3 are solid second line players. This doesn't mention that Downie could be a solid 2nd line wing and if Hejduk returns to form he could be a 2nd line player again.
Stastny: Don't get me started on Stastny. He's a 2nd line center at this point.
Duchene: 2nd line center.
PAP: Inflated stats. Terribly worried about him.
McGinn: Who?
Landeskog: Not too worried about this bad boy!
Jones: I like Jones but he has a lot to prove.

No elite talent. Good point. Three players (Stastny, Duchene, Landeskog) would make a BAD first line/GREAT second line. Downie is not a top 6 player. Hejduk....well he better return to form if RoR doesn't resign because at his best he's a top line talent. Show this top 6 to any fan in the league and they will wonder where the offense will come from.

And this doesn't touch on the D. Johnson and the Pylons.

How does RoR make a difference? Lack of elite talent is overcome by depth. If he isn't there we need to trade him for either a proven no.2/no.3 center or a top 4 defenseman. (A real top 4 defenseman, not a 'Sacco top 4 defenseman' like Zanon)

Old
01-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
You are comparing RFA and UFA contracts. He hasn't been playing long enough in an important enough role to warrant this big of a contract. Dumb thing is, if he signed a smaller deal and showed progression hed play himself into an even bigger contract.
I'm not comparing the contracts and saying O'Reilly should get that because those guys did. I know Jones/Parenteau were UFAs where as O'Reilly is a RFA. I'm just saying I think 4 years, $16M would be a good deal for O'Reilly.

Some people seem to be under the impression that he must sign a two year deal just because other Avs' RFAs have done that. Look at what other RFAs around the league have signed for. Seguin has had one good season and just got $6M per year. O'Reilly and his agent aren't stupid.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:09 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
He might even realize that he's maxed out his potential and want a long term deal for precisely that reason.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
lol overreaction much?
Can you name a situation where a 21 year old coming off his ELC, that has around O'Reilly's combined 101 points in three seasons refused to sign a short term deal and did something comparable to signing a deal in Russia that forced the team to match that otherwise he wasn't coming back?

Can you name a remotely comparable situation, and a player that you would want on your team?

Old
01-14-2013, 05:11 PM
S3rkie

Quote:
O'Reilly and his agent aren't stupid.
Avs management would be to give that to the 3rd center on our depth chart, with only one 50pt season under his belt where they have all the leverage.

Closed Thread