HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Batman (1989 ) vs Batman Begins (2005)

View Poll Results: Batman (1989) vs Batman Begins (2005)
Batman (1989) 58 30.69%
Batman Begins ( 2005) 117 61.90%
Both 14 7.41%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-01-2013, 06:53 PM
  #101
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,626
vCash: 500
Nicholson > Begins

But the 2nd Batman not even close to the Dark Knight with Heath Ledger.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:37 PM
  #102
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,742
vCash: 500
I think the best Batman movie is The Dark Knight Returns Pt. 1 & 2

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:46 PM
  #103
leeaf83
Registered User
 
leeaf83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
I still don't see how people could actually like TDKR. If I weren't watching it with friends, I would have walked out. The best thing I can say about it, is that it's better than Batman 4.

Hard core Nolan/Bale fans have to account for the love. I hated it, it was pretentious and suffered from brutal editing; no reason it needed to be that long. Bale was also brutal as Batman. Every scene was drawn out.

I actually prefer Batman and Robin now that I've seen both; at least Batman and Robin is somewhat entertaining but at least its shorter.

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:09 PM
  #104
theotis77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post
Hard core Nolan/Bale fans have to account for the love. I hated it, it was pretentious and suffered from brutal editing; no reason it needed to be that long. Bale was also brutal as Batman. Every scene was drawn out.

I actually prefer Batman and Robin now that I've seen both; at least Batman and Robin is somewhat entertaining but at least its shorter.
Ah, HFBoards. You never fail to disappoint.

theotis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:24 PM
  #105
Francesa
ლ(๏‿๏ ◝ლ)
 
Francesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 176,560
vCash: 500
Batman Begins

It was close but Liam put BB over the edge

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:02 PM
  #106
yakitate304
Crunch Time
 
yakitate304's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NY
Country: St Lucia
Posts: 13,915
vCash: 500
I love Batman Begins, same with The Dark Knight, but I wasn't a huge fan of The Dark Knight Rises. It was entertaining and I liked JGL's role, but I didn't think it was great compared to the other two.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:25 AM
  #107
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Algeria
Posts: 13,625
vCash: 500
BB destroys 1989 Batman


And when I watched 1989, it was seeing the Joker, I was still seeing Nicholson

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 03:45 AM
  #108
vippe
Registered User
 
vippe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,768
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vippe
Michael Keaton is awful as Batman.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:11 AM
  #109
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I think the best Batman movie is The Dark Knight Returns Pt. 1 & 2
Very tough to argue, My Friend. Although...I'd probably put it half a step behind Dark Knight. It's a terrific movie.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:19 PM
  #110
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Very tough to argue, My Friend. Although...I'd probably put it half a step behind Dark Knight. It's a terrific movie.
My impression of TDK gets worse and worse as time passes, personally. (although I can't think of any other Batman movie that I like more than it besides that)

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:59 PM
  #111
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
My impression of TDK gets worse and worse as time passes, personally. (although I can't think of any other Batman movie that I like more than it besides that)
I'm still digging it. I love the Batman/Joker dynamic. And Ledger's performance continues to astound me...as far as the character is concerned. He completely nails the version of the character I've always enjoyed.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:18 PM
  #112
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 54,551
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
Gotta ask this, but what is wrong with Batman and Robin? i used to love watch that movie when i was younger
Are you for real?

It made Adam West's Batman look subtle.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:26 PM
  #113
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
I'm still digging it. I love the Batman/Joker dynamic. And Ledger's performance continues to astound me...as far as the character is concerned. He completely nails the version of the character I've always enjoyed.
For me, the experience kind of feels like Ledger's positives constantly battling with the films negatives. For every impressive thing he does, two extras/supporting characters do something really annoying and awful.

I thought what it was trying to do was interesting at times but it was poorly executed, personally. I was into it the first time I saw it almost entirely because of Ledger, but it left a progressively worse taste in my mouth the more that wore off.


Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-29-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 10:17 PM
  #114
njdevils2012
Registered User
 
njdevils2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bayonne, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 291
vCash: 500
The 1989 Batman for me .

njdevils2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 11:03 PM
  #115
JetsAlternate
Registered User
 
JetsAlternate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
Gotta ask this, but what is wrong with Batman and Robin? i used to love watch that movie when i was younger




Last edited by JetsAlternate: 03-13-2014 at 11:14 PM.
JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 11:59 PM
  #116
aleshemsky83
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,378
vCash: 500
Arnold, my guy

That is actually one of the movies I absolutely cannot change the channel when I come across on cable

That's what I call a guilty pleasure

aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 02:28 AM
  #117
TheThrill81
So Hot
 
TheThrill81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,579
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Michael Keaton is awful as Batman.
Sorry to say he proved you wrong, twice.

TheThrill81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 02:33 AM
  #118
TheThrill81
So Hot
 
TheThrill81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,579
vCash: 50
I liked both the Batman 1989 and Batman Begins films, but I'm giving the edge to Tim Burton's 1989 version. It truly captured the atmosphere of Gotham City, and The Joker was absolutely diabolical and psychotic. I don't think people realize how much havoc he wreaked. Michael Keaton killed it as Batman, despite the skepticism that followed his casting as the Dark Knight. And who could forget that museum scene where the Joker and his crew are trashing the art while Prince's Party Man is playing on the boombox?

TheThrill81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 03:16 AM
  #119
CC96
Serious Offender
 
CC96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 11,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
BB destroys 1989 Batman


And when I watched 1989, it was seeing the Joker, I was still seeing Nicholson
This.

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 05:21 PM
  #120
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
I voted for both but for those who are to young to remember the buzz around 1989 Batman was like nothing I've seen before or since.

Everyone was wearing Batman T-shirts & hats. The Prince 'Batdance' song was in heavy rotation on the radio and the same for the video on TV. People were getting the Batman logo shaved into their head. The merchandising was insane! I don't think I'll experience that level of buzz about a movie ever again.

I'm to young but I imagine it was probably a similar phenomenon in 1977 when Star Wars came out.
I'm late to the thread, came to post this, almost verbatim. Batman was The Entertainment Event Of 1989. I remember the movie poster only having the bat logo. Black and gold. Everybody was buying Batman stuff a couple months before the movie came out.

Maybe it was more a phenomenon than an actual masterpiece, but the amount of fun - anticipating, watching, re-watching, discussing - has only been rivaled by maybe Jurassic Park, Terminator 2, The Matrix....maybe Star Trek?

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 05:24 PM
  #121
TheThrill81
So Hot
 
TheThrill81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,579
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
I'm late to the thread, came to post this, almost verbatim. Batman was The Entertainment Event Of 1989. I remember the movie poster only having the bat logo. Black and gold. Everybody was buying Batman stuff a couple months before the movie came out.

Maybe it was more a phenomenon than an actual masterpiece, but the amount of fun - anticipating, watching, re-watching, discussing - has only been rivaled by maybe Jurassic Park, Terminator 2, The Matrix....maybe Star Trek?
Star Wars

TheThrill81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 11:02 PM
  #122
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 41,862
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
I'm late to the thread, came to post this, almost verbatim. Batman was The Entertainment Event Of 1989. I remember the movie poster only having the bat logo. Black and gold. Everybody was buying Batman stuff a couple months before the movie came out.

Maybe it was more a phenomenon than an actual masterpiece, but the amount of fun - anticipating, watching, re-watching, discussing - has only been rivaled by maybe Jurassic Park, Terminator 2, The Matrix....maybe Star Trek?
Even the computer games from the movie were big hits back then. Those old enough to have played with C-64 or Amiga in the 80's will remember how almost every movie or tv licensed games were published by Ocean, with various quality. But when they got it right, those games were really good and Batman was one of those. I played through it on C-64(a friend loaned his copy to me) and I got to see it on Amiga later on as well.

Today the movie feels very 80's when it comes to action sequences and some movie techniques but it got some things about the Batman character right, better than Nolan did. It would be interesting to see what Burton would have come up with if he were to make the movie today.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 11:34 PM
  #123
KaylaJ
Honey Bun
 
KaylaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hell
Country: United States
Posts: 13,862
vCash: 500
Batman 89. I like Keaton more than Bale and hate the whole Batman voice thing. Also even though it was strange to look back on with Bassinger & Keaton, it seemed to work while I thought Bale & Holmes was just icy.

Also, I liked Burton's whole idea that in the end, even if Batman is the right guy, they're both he and the Joker were pretty damn disturbed weirdos.

In the end, even I'll admit it's kinda hard to compare the two considering everything that has changed. When 89 came out it was criticized as being too dark, go figure huh? Now you can do that and push it and have a bunch of technology help you out.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 11:38 AM
  #124
Jussi
I am siege face
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 41,862
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
Batman 89. I like Keaton more than Bale and hate the whole Batman voice thing. Also even though it was strange to look back on with Bassinger & Keaton, it seemed to work while I thought Bale & Holmes was just icy.

Also, I liked Burton's whole idea that in the end, even if Batman is the right guy, they're both he and the Joker were pretty damn disturbed weirdos.

In the end, even I'll admit it's kinda hard to compare the two considering everything that has changed. When 89 came out it was criticized as being too dark, go figure huh? Now you can do that and push it and have a bunch of technology help you out.
Indeed, in Burton's Gotham city, both the hero and the villains are more or less broken human beings. It was even more evident in Batman Returns, where Pfeiffer and Keaton had more chemistry than Basinger and Keaton while also displaying how flawed their characters were.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.