HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Batman (1989 ) vs Batman Begins (2005)

View Poll Results: Batman (1989) vs Batman Begins (2005)
Batman (1989) 58 30.69%
Batman Begins ( 2005) 117 61.90%
Both 14 7.41%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-01-2013, 06:53 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

vCash: 500
Nicholson > Begins

But the 2nd Batman not even close to the Dark Knight with Heath Ledger.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Shareefruck

I think the best Batman movie is The Dark Knight Returns Pt. 1 & 2

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:46 PM
leeaf83

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
I still don't see how people could actually like TDKR. If I weren't watching it with friends, I would have walked out. The best thing I can say about it, is that it's better than Batman 4.

Hard core Nolan/Bale fans have to account for the love. I hated it, it was pretentious and suffered from brutal editing; no reason it needed to be that long. Bale was also brutal as Batman. Every scene was drawn out.

I actually prefer Batman and Robin now that I've seen both; at least Batman and Robin is somewhat entertaining but at least its shorter.

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:09 PM
theotis77

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post
Hard core Nolan/Bale fans have to account for the love. I hated it, it was pretentious and suffered from brutal editing; no reason it needed to be that long. Bale was also brutal as Batman. Every scene was drawn out.

I actually prefer Batman and Robin now that I've seen both; at least Batman and Robin is somewhat entertaining but at least its shorter.
Ah, HFBoards. You never fail to disappoint.

theotis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:24 PM
Francesa
ლ(๏‿๏ ◝ლ)

Batman Begins

It was close but Liam put BB over the edge

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:02 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

I love Batman Begins, same with The Dark Knight, but I wasn't a huge fan of The Dark Knight Rises. It was entertaining and I liked JGL's role, but I didn't think it was great compared to the other two.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:25 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

BB destroys 1989 Batman

And when I watched 1989, it was seeing the Joker, I was still seeing Nicholson

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 03:45 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Michael Keaton is awful as Batman.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:11 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I think the best Batman movie is The Dark Knight Returns Pt. 1 & 2
Very tough to argue, My Friend. Although...I'd probably put it half a step behind Dark Knight. It's a terrific movie.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:19 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Very tough to argue, My Friend. Although...I'd probably put it half a step behind Dark Knight. It's a terrific movie.
My impression of TDK gets worse and worse as time passes, personally. (although I can't think of any other Batman movie that I like more than it besides that)

Old
03-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
My impression of TDK gets worse and worse as time passes, personally. (although I can't think of any other Batman movie that I like more than it besides that)
I'm still digging it. I love the Batman/Joker dynamic. And Ledger's performance continues to astound me...as far as the character is concerned. He completely nails the version of the character I've always enjoyed.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:18 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
Gotta ask this, but what is wrong with Batman and Robin? i used to love watch that movie when i was younger
Are you for real?

It made Adam West's Batman look subtle.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:26 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
I'm still digging it. I love the Batman/Joker dynamic. And Ledger's performance continues to astound me...as far as the character is concerned. He completely nails the version of the character I've always enjoyed.
For me, the experience kind of feels like Ledger's positives constantly battling with the films negatives. For every impressive thing he does, two extras/supporting characters do something really annoying and awful.

I thought what it was trying to do was interesting at times but it was poorly executed, personally. I was into it the first time I saw it almost entirely because of Ledger, but it left a progressively worse taste in my mouth the more that wore off.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-29-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old
03-13-2014, 10:17 PM
njdevils2012

The 1989 Batman for me .

njdevils2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 11:03 PM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
Gotta ask this, but what is wrong with Batman and Robin? i used to love watch that movie when i was younger

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 03-13-2014 at 11:14 PM.
JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 11:59 PM
aleshemsky83

Arnold, my guy

That is actually one of the movies I absolutely cannot change the channel when I come across on cable

That's what I call a guilty pleasure

aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 02:28 AM
TheThrill81
So Hot

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Michael Keaton is awful as Batman.
Sorry to say he proved you wrong, twice.

TheThrill81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 02:33 AM
TheThrill81
So Hot

I liked both the Batman 1989 and Batman Begins films, but I'm giving the edge to Tim Burton's 1989 version. It truly captured the atmosphere of Gotham City, and The Joker was absolutely diabolical and psychotic. I don't think people realize how much havoc he wreaked. Michael Keaton killed it as Batman, despite the skepticism that followed his casting as the Dark Knight. And who could forget that museum scene where the Joker and his crew are trashing the art while Prince's Party Man is playing on the boombox?

Old
03-14-2014, 03:16 AM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
BB destroys 1989 Batman

And when I watched 1989, it was seeing the Joker, I was still seeing Nicholson
This.

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 05:21 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
I voted for both but for those who are to young to remember the buzz around 1989 Batman was like nothing I've seen before or since.

Everyone was wearing Batman T-shirts & hats. The Prince 'Batdance' song was in heavy rotation on the radio and the same for the video on TV. People were getting the Batman logo shaved into their head. The merchandising was insane! I don't think I'll experience that level of buzz about a movie ever again.

I'm to young but I imagine it was probably a similar phenomenon in 1977 when Star Wars came out.
I'm late to the thread, came to post this, almost verbatim. Batman was The Entertainment Event Of 1989. I remember the movie poster only having the bat logo. Black and gold. Everybody was buying Batman stuff a couple months before the movie came out.

Maybe it was more a phenomenon than an actual masterpiece, but the amount of fun - anticipating, watching, re-watching, discussing - has only been rivaled by maybe Jurassic Park, Terminator 2, The Matrix....maybe Star Trek?

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 05:24 PM
TheThrill81
So Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
I'm late to the thread, came to post this, almost verbatim. Batman was The Entertainment Event Of 1989. I remember the movie poster only having the bat logo. Black and gold. Everybody was buying Batman stuff a couple months before the movie came out.

Maybe it was more a phenomenon than an actual masterpiece, but the amount of fun - anticipating, watching, re-watching, discussing - has only been rivaled by maybe Jurassic Park, Terminator 2, The Matrix....maybe Star Trek?
Star Wars

Old
03-14-2014, 11:02 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post

Even the computer games from the movie were big hits back then. Those old enough to have played with C-64 or Amiga in the 80's will remember how almost every movie or tv licensed games were published by Ocean, with various quality. But when they got it right, those games were really good and Batman was one of those. I played through it on C-64(a friend loaned his copy to me) and I got to see it on Amiga later on as well.

Today the movie feels very 80's when it comes to action sequences and some movie techniques but it got some things about the Batman character right, better than Nolan did. It would be interesting to see what Burton would have come up with if he were to make the movie today.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 11:34 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Batman 89. I like Keaton more than Bale and hate the whole Batman voice thing. Also even though it was strange to look back on with Bassinger & Keaton, it seemed to work while I thought Bale & Holmes was just icy.

Also, I liked Burton's whole idea that in the end, even if Batman is the right guy, they're both he and the Joker were pretty damn disturbed weirdos.

In the end, even I'll admit it's kinda hard to compare the two considering everything that has changed. When 89 came out it was criticized as being too dark, go figure huh? Now you can do that and push it and have a bunch of technology help you out.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 11:38 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
Batman 89. I like Keaton more than Bale and hate the whole Batman voice thing. Also even though it was strange to look back on with Bassinger & Keaton, it seemed to work while I thought Bale & Holmes was just icy.

Also, I liked Burton's whole idea that in the end, even if Batman is the right guy, they're both he and the Joker were pretty damn disturbed weirdos.

In the end, even I'll admit it's kinda hard to compare the two considering everything that has changed. When 89 came out it was criticized as being too dark, go figure huh? Now you can do that and push it and have a bunch of technology help you out.
Indeed, in Burton's Gotham city, both the hero and the villains are more or less broken human beings. It was even more evident in Batman Returns, where Pfeiffer and Keaton had more chemistry than Basinger and Keaton while also displaying how flawed their characters were.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote