HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

remember the kings?

Old
04-08-2013, 02:05 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
remember the kings?

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but do you all remember the kings? Finished in 8th place, had a bunch of injuries... got everyone back from injury going into the playoffs and then dominated for a Stanley Cup.

Imagine if you will, Cowen, Michalek, Spezza and Karlsson back.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:09 PM
source

vCash: 500
Not to be a dick, but I think we're most similar to the 2012 Senators.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:10 PM
hockeyalltheway
You can't do that!

vCash: 611
The Kings also serially underachieved in the first half and acquired a big name that sparked them to make a run post-trade deadline.

Nice try.

04-08-2013, 02:10 PM
SevenOfSpades
SkinnyOneOnTheRight

vCash: 125
The Kings got hot in the second half of the season. We're cooling down.

Also they have black jerseys, and we have red jerseys. Completely different circumstances.

SevenOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:11 PM
SensontheRush
Rik Rondra

Conacher is our Carter.

SensontheRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Benny FTW
Tool Time Travel

vCash: 50
Bad comparison is bad.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:15 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
The Kings also serially underachieved in the first half and acquired a big name that sparked them to make a run post-trade deadline.

Nice try.
They underachieved due to injury... and while the trade was a good one, they also had a healthy team going into the playoffs. It was a perfect storm.

Ottawa 2012 does not have the depth of Ottawa 2013. If Spezza, Michalek and Cowen were the only ones to return... imagine how much pressure that removes from Turris, Alfredsson, Latendresse... Silf, Zib and Conacher.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Hossa18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
They underachieved due to injury... and while the trade was a good one, they also had a healthy team going into the playoffs. It was a perfect storm.

Ottawa 2012 does not have the depth of Ottawa 2013. If Spezza, Michalek and Cowen were the only ones to return... imagine how much pressure that removes from Turris, Alfredsson, Latendresse... Silf, Zib and Conacher.

I don't recall L.A. having to many injuries, especially none of the high end variety.

Hossa18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Do Make Say Think

vCash: 144
I was in Australia back then but I clearly remember the Jeff Carter trade really sparking the Kings and they went on a tear that extended into the playoffs

I don't think Conacher is going to have the same kind of effect

We could still turn things on and get into the playoffs very hot however, it just doesn't look likely at the moment

Still though, the team played a much better game in Florida than they did in Buffalo so there's hope

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:28 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Cowen could be a fairly big spark... Karlsson returning early could be an even bigger spark.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:29 PM
hockeyalltheway
You can't do that!

vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa18 View Post
I don't recall L.A. having to many injuries, especially none of the high end variety.
A decent amount of one-off injuries, but only two long-term: Gagne (48 regular season games, 16 playoff games) and Parse (67 regular season, 20 playoff.) Otherwise, they had 12 games without Penner, 10 without Martinez, 8 without Richards, 6 without Mitchell, 5 without Carter and Doughty, and four without Stoll and Voynov.

I'd hardly say their early season was derailed by injury.

hockeyalltheway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:35 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Oh, I am sorry... I just live in the west and recall all the media talking about the "Cinderella story, that was the kings." Sportsnet, TSN and even the team themselves were talking about injuries as being a factor in their poor start.

A new coach, plus a trade could definitely spark a team... I mean how could it not. The pretentiousness in this thread is ridiculous.

I was trying to spark a little positive energy and all I get is pessimism. Very telling of our fan base and very usual.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Gil Gunderson

Kings were a better team and we most likely won't get back all of our injured players.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:04 PM
arglebargle

vCash: 1000
Speaking of the Kings, I'm really glad that I'm not a Flyers fan. If I had been one at any point I'd probably be a Kings fan now.

arglebargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Tundraman
Survivalist

Have you looked at the standings lately. Unless they find a way to turn things around, the next couple of games could easily drop this team into a precarious playoff position. The last 4 zero-point losses and the way they happened has changed the prognosis dramatically.

When we might expect our non-rookie 23-26 year old guys to get stronger offensively as the season progresses they have been largely invisible on the score sheet. The pp sucks and is way too predictable passing up chance after chance to shoot waiting for the perfect play that never comes. The goalies were making the crucial saves and were rarely allowing the late go-ahead goal until we got one but that doesn't happen now. Whether it's Bishop, Lehner or Andy they all allowed the soft energy- deflating go-ahead or insurance goal. It seemed to me that Lehner lost some confidence when he was badly beaten in 2 shootout games.

Talking playoffs and any comparisons are a bit premature.

btw) For me the key guys would be Spezza and Karllson. The way things are right now they may come back too late (if at all) to make a difference.

Last edited by Tundraman: 04-08-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:52 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenOfSpades View Post
The Kings got hot in the second half of the season. We're cooling down.

Also they have black jerseys, and we have red jerseys. Completely different circumstances.
Came here to say the first thing. And to the second, have you seen our heritage jerseys?

Quote:

Karlsson is not coming back this year, skating or not. Spezza and Cowen are iffy at best. Even if they are ready, its not a good idea to bring a guy who has missed the entire season (or almost all of it) back in the intensity of the playoffs.

internetdotcom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Orr123

I don't think so.

Its would be amazing to see the Sens make the playoffs with all the crap they've had to deal with this season. But they ain't beating Pittsburgh. (well, I wouldn't put money on it anyways).

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:48 AM
tony d
The man

It'd be nice but I don't think we'll see another run like the Kings had last year anytime soon.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:22 AM
BankStreetParade

Quote:
Cowen could be a fairly big spark... Karlsson returning early could be an even bigger spark.
Karlsson returning would be an atomic bomb-sized spark.

BankStreetParade is offline   Reply With Quote