HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal 2.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-18-2013, 07:56 PM
  #626
HockeySens
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,113
vCash: 500
Silfverberg is just more refined mainly bcause he is 3 years older and have played in the SEL longer, gone to the playoffs in the SEL and won championship. Silf will probably be a better defensive player than twobut I like zibanejads skillset he has speed and I believe he can play more physical, he has great shot and some playmaking aswell, I really like him in the powerplay and forecheck too

HockeySens is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 08:23 PM
  #627
ATdaisuki
invisible
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
...
Silfverberg has much stronger IQ and on-ice positioning as well as a better release. However, with the 3 year gap difference in development, I expect Zibanejad to be on par/greater with the first two.

Zibanejad has stronger physical attributes and speed as well as a more lethal one-timer. All of which can create more offensive opportunities for him, hence leading to higher up-side.
i think silf will end up with a higher hockey i.q. than zibby at the end of the day. i also think that their positioning will end up similar. silf needs to learn to be sneakier to strip pucks off people, and learn to get better body positioning on people along the boards. both their positioning and timing will improve, as this is something that is much different on bigger ice. zib's one timer is better, silf is a better shooter in all other categories, so that's somethinf silf has over zibby. silf is looking faster (or quicker) out there as well, though it's pretty safe to say zibby will have the better skating ability in the end.

zibby is bigger, but needs to put on more strength. he then needs to learn how to use it. silf looks really strong, as seen in his board play (but he won't be as strong as zibby will be in open ice), while we don't know if zibby will be as strong in the board play area of the game.

in conclusion, i think that they are different players that still have room to grow. they each have a certain set of skills that is better than the other. zibby will be better in front of the net, one timing the puck, and creating space, while silf will be better at sniping, fighting along the boards (maybe), and playmaking (i want to see silf get better at picking pockets as well. if her learns to do that, look out). if one has a higher ceiling than the other, it's not much higher. they both have first line potential in my opinion. yes, i do understand that zibby is younger.

ATdaisuki is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 08:54 PM
  #628
Cujomi
YNWA
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
What does Silfverberg have over Zibanejad? People talk how Silfverberg is strong both ends of the ice but Zibanejad is extremely effective defensively as well. Heck, everyone here seems to forget how Zibanejad was praised in his first year due to his defensive capabilties.

Silfverberg has much stronger IQ and on-ice positioning as well as a better release. However, with the 3 year gap difference in development, I expect Zibanejad to be on par/greater with the first two.

Zibanejad has stronger physical attributes and speed as well as a more lethal one-timer. All of which can create more offensive opportunities for him, hence leading to higher up-side.
None of this explains why you mentioned intangibles. I'm guessing you're just misusing the word or don't know what it means.

I think that Silfverberg shows more drive, better leadership and his hockey IQ is on a level where I think his dedication will allow him to become an exceptional player in the NHL. I like his upside more, but they're both looking like great players for the future.

Cujomi is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 09:13 PM
  #629
Rals
Registered User
 
Rals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 697
vCash: 500
I had worries about Zibs finishing ability going into the season, they have been subdued. I am happy.


Plus he's really really really really fun to cheer for, awesome name.

Rals is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 09:18 PM
  #630
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it
 
WasTeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 14,218
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rals View Post
I had worries about Zibs finishing ability going into the season, they have been subdued. I am happy.


Plus he's really really really really fun to cheer for, awesome name.
Agreed. Zibanejad is an amazingly fun name to yell.

WasTeD is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 09:36 PM
  #631
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 21,450
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
None of this explains why you mentioned intangibles. I'm guessing you're just misusing the word or don't know what it means.

I think that Silfverberg shows more drive, better leadership and his hockey IQ is on a level where I think his dedication will allow him to become an exceptional player in the NHL. I like his upside more, but they're both looking like great players for the future.
When Zibanejad was drafted, he was known most for his high-motor game. His 110% every shift. So does Silfverberg but you're selling Zibanejad short.

It's clear to me you are judging off small-size samples. I've never seen you hype Silfverberg before this year. I'm not saying that as a bad thing I'm just saying you offer Silfverberg praise on things that Zibanejad is also strongly known for.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now  
Old
03-18-2013, 09:41 PM
  #632
Cujomi
YNWA
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
When Zibanejad was drafted, he was known most for his high-motor game. His 110% every shift. So does Silfverberg but you're selling Zibanejad short.

It's clear to me you are judging off small-size samples. I've never seen you hype Silfverberg before this year. I'm not saying that as a bad thing I'm just saying you offer Silfverberg praise on things that Zibanejad is also strongly known for.
I've been hyping Silfverberg for the last two years prior to this one...I'm not judging of small sample sizes I'm going off their entire careers and what they've shown in Ottawa to this point. I'm not trying to sell Zibanejad short...the biggest knock on Zibanejad I had to this point was that he doesn't look like a gangbuster every shift -- some shifts he's out there balls to the wall and others he's barely noticeable. His consistency is getting much better though.

Cujomi is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 09:43 PM
  #633
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 21,450
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I've been hyping Silfverberg for the last two years prior to this one...I'm not judging of small sample sizes I'm going off their entire careers and what they've shown in Ottawa to this point. I'm not trying to sell Zibanejad short...the biggest knock on Zibanejad I had to this point was that he doesn't look like a gangbuster every shift -- some shifts he's out there balls to the wall and others he's barely noticeable. His consistency is getting much better though.
Yup, I can agree with all that. Mostly because he is 19. For a 19 year old though he is playin exceptionally well.

The progress he has made from the start of the year till now is absolutely ridiculous.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now  
Old
03-18-2013, 09:49 PM
  #634
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,592
vCash: 500
I don't think age really factors in all that much during this adjustment period.

Both guys are transitioning to the NHL from the European game.

It doesn't matter how old the player is, they still have to go through that process.

NyQuil is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 09:53 PM
  #635
Cujomi
YNWA
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Yup, I can agree with all that. Mostly because he is 19. For a 19 year old though he is playin exceptionally well.

The progress he has made from the start of the year till now is absolutely ridiculous.
Absolutely. I definitely had my reservations about him going into this season. Mostly because of how his development to this point was handled IMO. He also definitely had some questionable habits and no signs of trying to change them. It's like a switch turned on and now he's been playing great and showing a lot more promise. I like the chances of him reaching his potential now a lot more than before.

Cujomi is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 11:32 PM
  #636
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 10,805
vCash: 500
Zibanejad = Size & Skill an excellent combination.

aragorn is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 11:41 PM
  #637
R2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 641
vCash: 500
Zibbys only issue was his hockey sense seemed to be lacking. Turns out his IQ was better at the NHL level than the SEL or AHL. Gotta say i'm glad I was wrong in my criticisms of his hockey IQ before. Turns out everything people (scouts) said about him when he was drafted was right (good all around player, great shot, active stick, close to NHL ready).

Seeing him play the way he is at 19 makes me feel that his potential is somewhere between a healthy michalek and a Hossa. He has decent puck possession skills too.

R2010 is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 11:43 PM
  #638
Savannah Skunk
Registered User
 
Savannah Skunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Off the banana farm
Country: Uganda
Posts: 1,337
vCash: 500
One thing seems obvious: He won't be riding the bus to any games in his future for quite a while. We have barely begun to watch him grow as a player.

Savannah Skunk is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 11:47 PM
  #639
Cowen Time
Registered User
 
Cowen Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2010 View Post
Zibbys only issue was his hockey sense seemed to be lacking. Turns out his IQ was better at the NHL level than the SEL or AHL. Gotta say i'm glad I was wrong in my criticisms of his hockey IQ before. Turns out everything people (scouts) said about him when he was drafted was right (good all around player, great shot, active stick, close to NHL ready).

Seeing him play the way he is at 19 makes me feel that his potential is somewhere between a healthy michalek and a Hossa. He has decent puck possession skills too.
19 is sooo young to be in this league. Big difference over the next 3 years. Just being able to hang in and have a positive impact is a great accomplishment.

Cowen Time is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 02:12 AM
  #640
R2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 641
vCash: 500
Gotta make steffeG's head explode

Sean Couturier
Age: 20 Years Old
GP: 28
G: 2
A: 5
Pts: 7
PIM: 4
+/-: -11

Mika Zibanejad
Age: 19 Years Old
GP: 23
G: 6
A: 4
Pts: 10
PIM: 6
+/-: 5



Of Course the Obvious comeback is Couts faces a higher quality of competition and has a significantly lower offensive zone starts.

R2010 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 10:37 AM
  #641
SevenOfSpades
SkinnyOneOnTheRight
 
SevenOfSpades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,042
vCash: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2010 View Post
Zibbys only issue was his hockey sense seemed to be lacking. Turns out his IQ was better at the NHL level than the SEL or AHL. Gotta say i'm glad I was wrong in my criticisms of his hockey IQ before. Turns out everything people (scouts) said about him when he was drafted was right (good all around player, great shot, active stick, close to NHL ready).

Seeing him play the way he is at 19 makes me feel that his ceiling is somewhere between a healthy michalek and a Hossa. He has decent puck possession skills too.
Had to fix that. I think his actual potential is somewhere between Benoit Pouliot and what you said.

SevenOfSpades is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 11:13 AM
  #642
sg58
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2010 View Post
Gotta make steffeG's head explode

Sean Couturier
Age: 20 Years Old
GP: 28
G: 2
A: 5
Pts: 7
PIM: 4
+/-: -11

Mika Zibanejad
Age: 19 Years Old
GP: 23
G: 6
A: 4
Pts: 10
PIM: 6
+/-: 5



Of Course the Obvious comeback is Couts faces a higher quality of competition and has a significantly lower offensive zone starts.
Yeah, I think Zibanejad has done a little bit better than expected early on but I haven't really changed my mind on any of the stuff said at the time of the draft or last summer or whenever. I don't think it means I'm pessimistic or anything like that, it just means that other teams have good players as well.

sg58 is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 11:48 AM
  #643
Qward
Moderator
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 13,276
vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
Agreed. Zibanejad is an amazingly fun name to yell.
I yell it as if I am McBain yelling "Mandooooozaaaa!!!!"

Qward is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 12:07 PM
  #644
Cujomi
YNWA
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2010 View Post
Gotta make steffeG's head explode

Sean Couturier
Age: 20 Years Old
GP: 28
G: 2
A: 5
Pts: 7
PIM: 4
+/-: -11

Mika Zibanejad
Age: 19 Years Old
GP: 23
G: 6
A: 4
Pts: 10
PIM: 6
+/-: 5



Of Course the Obvious comeback is Couts faces a higher quality of competition and has a significantly lower offensive zone starts.
Couturier 2010-2011:

GP: 77
G: 13
A: 14
Pts: 27
PIM: 14
+/-: 18

Playoffs

GP: 11
G: 3
A: 1
Pts: 4
PIM: 2

Zibanejad 2010-2011

GP: 9
G: 0
A: 1
Pts: 1
PIM: 2
+/-: -3

Won't get into their other stats (SEL last year, and AHL vs. AHL this year) but your post above doesn't exactly paint the full picture, especially considering their respective roles and such. They're both still very young and there's a long way to go before calling Zibanejad Couturier's equal or better. Also trying to be misleading with the ages...tsk.

Cujomi is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 12:28 PM
  #645
arglebargle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 1225
His stats from prior to this year really sell him short. Unfortunately that's all most of us had to go on so he seemed a bit disappointing until we got to see him on the Sens. He must have been playing through injuries or something because his play and NHL stats have been pretty damn good for a 19 year old.

arglebargle is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 12:38 PM
  #646
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it
 
WasTeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 14,218
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
I yell it as if I am McBain yelling "Mandooooozaaaa!!!!"
It's hard to yell his name without sounding angry

WasTeD is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 01:40 PM
  #647
SenzZen
Registered User
 
SenzZen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Also trying to be misleading with the ages...tsk.
What exactly is misleading about their ages?

SenzZen is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 01:47 PM
  #648
Cujomi
YNWA
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
What exactly is misleading about their ages?
Trying to make it seem like Couturier is significantly older, or a year older. They are at the same stage developmentally.

Cujomi is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 02:43 PM
  #649
Magix
Registered User
 
Magix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,411
vCash: 500
I wouldnt take couturier if the sens got a redo at the draft. I also take him over silfverberg, stone and anyone else not named lehner in the prospect pool. Too many tools and decent awareness makes me excited to see where this guy is when he hits 22-24 years of age.

Magix is offline  
Old
03-19-2013, 02:44 PM
  #650
Wondercarrot
Classless
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,171
vCash: 500
Yes its the roles they play, Zibinejad plays with elite offensive talent around him while Couturier plays with scrubs on the 4thj line and is told specifically not to put up points.
the stats were good enough last year to annoint Couturier the 2nd coming and Z an also ran.
i see no problem with using this seasons stats to show the reverse.

Wondercarrot is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.