HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Holdurbreathe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I don't think he's got a high end hockey sense. But I do think a lot of the criticisms are overblown.
It seems "hockey sense" is the new term that explains or supports everything about the projections/evaluations of players.

Generally speaking, players don't get drafted in the first round without both skill and hockey IQ. The unanswered questions at the draft are whether or not they are willing to put in the work and are mentally tough enough. Many aren't, even though they possess the skills.

Zib has the tools, the physical size, and the intelligence to play the game at a very high level. I don't believe he has a work ethic issue, nor a lack of "hockey sense". In Zib's case it is a question of confidence, in trusting his abilities and taking a greater degree of risk.

Top line players take risks, they don't play the game safe, a glance at the GvA stat is a clear indication of this fact.

Currently Zib is playing safe, playing to not make mistakes as opposed to taking risk when appropriate for a player of his skill level. Simply, Zib isn't playing offensively with confidence.

The question that has to be answered about Zib, is he is mentally tough enough to trust in his abilities and use his skills to his advantage during the game, or does he continue to play safe?

How he responds will be the difference between top six impact player or a solid third line defensive forward.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 12-10-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old
12-10-2012, 10:02 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
I'd be more concerned about his injuries.

What is this guy, Glasscal 2.0?

Old
12-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
I'd be more concerned about his injuries.

What is this guy, Glasscal 2.0?
To my knowledge he isn't injured, all I have heard is he had the flu.

If you have a link that says otherwise, would appreciate it.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Zib needs to let loose, play angry and go to the net hard. he could dominate if he did that.
He is young and is acting it imo. Might not be the time to slap him in the face to jump start him yet. let him do his cute little poses with his cats and dogs and play the nice innocent guy for a while, but when it is time to get serious (real serious which will come very soon) then he might need a slight attitude adjustment. it should come on it's own though with maturity. these guys are allowed to be young for a while.

that is my guess. i don't know him personally or see what goes on, but it looks like he has a bit of the rundblads so far.

Just wait till miyagi gives him the sign.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Proust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Generally speaking, players don't get drafted in the first round without both skill and hockey IQ.
Skilled players with low to average "hockey IQ" get drafted in the 1st round all the time. This happens because the players have often been dominating on skill alone, and have not yet really had to use their brains. Scouts do their best to project how these kids will cope when their opposition is as skilled as they are, but often get it wrong.

Say what you want about Zibanejad's potential, but the reality is that his biggest question mark at draft day remains his biggest question mark today....

Old
12-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Smash88

vCash: 50
Quote:

I think he also had his wisdom teeth removed..

Old
12-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Proust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash88 View Post
I think he also had his wisdom teeth removed..
Well THAT won't help his hockey IQ....

Old
12-10-2012, 11:15 AM
ATdaisuki
invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proust View Post
Well THAT won't help his hockey IQ....
it's cool. i heard there was an inverse relation between being smart and hockey i.q. having his wisdom teeth removed is actually an attempt to further his career.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proust View Post
Skilled players with low to average "hockey IQ" get drafted in the 1st round all the time. This happens because the players have often been dominating on skill alone, and have not yet really had to use their brains. Scouts do their best to project how these kids will cope when their opposition is as skilled as they are, but often get it wrong.

Say what you want about Zibanejad's potential, but the reality is that his biggest question mark at draft day remains his biggest question mark today....
While I agree hockey fans do exactly what you describe, it seems you grossly underestimate professional hockey people.

While scouts do get it wrong at times, its generally not because they overrated skill or IQ, but because they misread the player's character or level of commitment.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 12-10-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old
12-10-2012, 11:59 AM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

How long has he been out now?

Old
12-10-2012, 12:08 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Guys play after eating a puck...I can't believe he's still out because of the flu. Probably concussion related. I asked Dr. Mark Recchi.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:34 PM
sg58

The never-ending story of Mika vs. The WJC took another turn today as the Swedish Federation's vice president told media that "if he had been healthy right now, Ottawa would've liked him to go."

This entire thing does not have a good vibe about it.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:54 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

There is definitely something going on. Guys play through the flu. They'll put on a cage if they get busted up too.

It doesn't make sense.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Smash88

It's weird that they have been so secretive with all this stuff... I figure it must be related to the "did he or didn't he" have a concussion last year..

Might be back?

Old
12-10-2012, 01:38 PM
sanityplease

He's been playing too much Madden 13.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:25 PM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
There is definitely something going on. Guys play through the flu. They'll put on a cage if they get busted up too.

It doesn't make sense.
Getting teeth knocked out is completely different than having teeth removed.

He had EXTENSIVE oral surgery. (I asked him on Facebook messenger)

When my wife had her wisdom teeth removed, she wasn't even allowed to play soccer, so I would imagine he isn't going to be allowed to play until his mouth is fully healed.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
Getting teeth knocked out is completely different than having teeth removed.

He had EXTENSIVE oral surgery. (I asked him on Facebook messenger)

When my wife had her wisdom teeth removed, she wasn't even allowed to play soccer, so I would imagine he isn't going to be allowed to play until his mouth is fully healed.
This makes sense. Until some kind of statement is issued I think it's safe to assume he's doing fine: just recovering from whatever is keeping him off the ice.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:20 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
This makes sense. Until some kind of statement is issued I think it's safe to assume he's doing fine: just recovering from whatever is keeping him off the ice.
Actually, the Swe federation guy said he's gonna go through further testing, which would indicate they don't really know what's up, or why what's up isn't healing as it should.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:21 PM
jbeck5

We're turning on a player that is so young that the reason he's out is that he got his wisdom teeth taken out. Really?

Old
12-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
We're turning on a player that is so young that the reason he's out is that he got his wisdom teeth taken out. Really?
Some are, some aren't, it doesn't take much to start pushing a player over the cliff on this board.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 12-10-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 03:32 PM
sg58

Quote:
Some are, some aren't, it doesn't take much to start pushing a player over the cliff on this board.
Well, that's the way the "Mika is fine" people see it. The "calm down the expectations, I don't really see elite talent" people would see it as you guys trying to maneuver him up on a cliff. Or something.

Anyway, after hearing about Mika experiencing headaches the week before his wisdom teeth removal, I was a bit worried because of his concussion history, so I asked Jo Innes who's a doctor and a blogger over at The Score about it. Some stuff about that and some other Ziba stuff in here. http://www.the6thsens.com/2012-artic...a-mystery.html

Old
12-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
Actually, the Swe federation guy said he's gonna go through further testing, which would indicate they don't really know what's up, or why what's up isn't healing as it should.
The Swedish Hockey Federation sounds extremely vexed by the Senators not releasing him, I'd take what they say with a very big grain of salt.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:54 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
The Swedish Hockey Federation sounds extremely vexed by the Senators not releasing him, I'd take what they say with a very big grain of salt.
Sure, they most certainly are, but why would they fabricate something like that?

Old
12-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Well, that's the way the "Mika is fine" people see it. The "calm down the expectations, I don't really see elite talent" people would see it as you guys trying to maneuver him up on a cliff. Or something.

Anyway, after hearing about Mika experiencing headaches the week before his wisdom teeth removal, I was a bit worried because of his concussion history, so I asked Jo Innes who's a doctor and a blogger over at The Score about it. Some stuff about that and some other Ziba stuff in here. http://www.the6thsens.com/2012-artic...a-mystery.html
Don't recall seeing anyone saying Mika has elite talent.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:02 PM
R2010

Quote:

I remember when I had my wisdom teeth out - beforehand I had headaches and jaw aches off and on for a year before it got so bad I needed it done.

Closed Thread