HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

B-Sens First-Quarter Grades

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-06-2012, 03:06 PM
  #26
sens83
Registered User
 
sens83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toe2toe View Post
imo lehner doesnt deserve an a+. he was goaded into a fight with syracuse with a large lead and it ultimately lead to losing the game. if it was simply his play it would be an a+ but he needs to be stronger mentally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senatorsfan90 View Post
^
That loss was not on Lehner. Lawson was atrocious, no one can blame a goalie with a 5-0 lead in the less then half a game being confident his team can hold the lead.
While I agree that Lehner showed a lack of self control, Senatorsfan is right, Lawson was an AHL goalie last season, he should have been able to protect a 5 goal lead for 30 mins of hockey.

However, we did lose both Gryba and Cowen that game as well. Let's not forget that.

So I guess I sort of agree with you both, but there was much more that went into that loss than just Lehner getting in a fight and Lawson showing more stink than a stripper at 5 AM on Sunday morning.

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 03:22 PM
  #27
derriko
Registered User
 
derriko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 3,049
vCash: 500
And Lawson probably wasnt focused either. Most back ups never play unless they start, and if they do, its because the starter gave up 2 or 3 bad goals, not a shutout. Not making excuses because it was a horrific performance, but it wasnt all on Nathan.

derriko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 03:59 PM
  #28
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,994
vCash: 500
The MVP regardless on the youngest and hottest team in the AHL, a team set to break the franchise win streak record.

A++?

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:17 PM
  #29
Ed Wood
Registered User
 
Ed Wood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,080
vCash: 500
Loved the evaluations. Shane Prince is really exceeding my expectations. Thanks so much.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:39 PM
  #30
stigs17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
Great report, BSF. I always enjoy your focused, in-depth analyses and wish more could follow suit. Wonder how many of the overconfident responders to your informative piece regularly attend the Binghamton games. My estimation would be few to none. In addition to many regular season games each year, I drove down for the Eastern Finals and Calder Cup Finals games in 2011, and can report there weren't many Ottawa Sens jerseys there for the party with the exception of one game where the team sent a bus down, hopefully a few of you took advantage.

It's nice to see Silfverberg adapting well to the N.A. style. He should gain confidence as the season progresses. Will also see whether Da Costa can provide timely offense. Nowhere near being sold on this guy being a legit NHLer. Encouraging starts for Stone and Prince, but we'll see their conditioning come March/April. I thought the Sens made a critical error in simultaneously dropping two of their tough guys and spiritual leaders in the off-season (Carkner, Konopka), but with the emergence of Borowiecki and others, this may not be as problematic as it looked in September.

While evidently the AHL is a physical, grinding league that favors veterans, it is interesting to note the Sens have earned a league-best 12-4-1-1 with a rookie leading scorer averaging just .67 PPG (Silfverberg). Given the .722+ winning percentage, one would expect a handful of guys operating at or near a point per game. Amazingly, the B-Sens don't have a single player in the top 100 in league scoring (granted, they have played 2-4 fewer games than most clubs). Presently there are 19 skaters with between 5-12 points, a pretty impressive distribution of wealth which speaks to their solid two-way concept and Lehner's stellar start. It's all the more impressive when the current month-long winning streak occurs without the services of their top dman from the start of the campaign (Cowen).

I did write to the Sens asking why they failed to bring any games to SBP, as has consistently been the case in recent years. The deliberate lack of B-Sens games in Ottawa is even more perplexing given that Sens management knew the strong likelihood of a lockout months in advance (consider that their summer ticket drive was scaled back and they didn't even bother producing a home/away pocket schedule, which in prior years they distributed throughout the city by August). The Sens blew a great opportunity to further market their young stars and future Senators, as this board suggests there is a healthy appetite in Ottawa for some quality hockey with the NHL on hiatus. With no semi-pro sports outside of a disastrous 7-21-0-3 OHL team, Ottawa has very little to offer the engaged sports fan. Look forward to hitting up more games on the road this winter.

stigs17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:48 PM
  #31
ATdaisuki
invisible
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stigs17 View Post
Wonder how many of the overconfident responders to your informative piece regularly attend the Binghamton games.
to be fair to the detractors, a lot, if not all the game this year have been streamed and with the lockout, more posters are seeing games. a lot of the players on the roster are new to the team, and any grade on them would not be based on expectations from previous years, so the games that they most likely have seen (the ones this year) are the only ones the grades could be based off of. most people have been saying that it's a good write up, just the grades are high.

ATdaisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:57 PM
  #32
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,994
vCash: 500
There's several here watching every game.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:15 PM
  #33
Ski
Calder Cup Champs
 
Ski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,060
vCash: 500
Well you went there..one of the reasons we aren't playing in Ottawa is the poor draw we have experienced at SBP..also the AHL scaled back the 80 gm schedule to 76, that's 2 less home games and being another one away would probably not settle well w/home fans here..

Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:44 AM
  #34
Taoiseach
Moderator
Go Hull Go!
 
Taoiseach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,488
vCash: 500
I'd be lying if I said that I was following Binghamton very closely, but is Pageau playing on the PK?

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:23 PM
  #35
sens83
Registered User
 
sens83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stigs17 View Post
Great report, BSF. I always enjoy your focused, in-depth analyses and wish more could follow suit. Wonder how many of the overconfident responders to your informative piece regularly attend the Binghamton games. My estimation would be few to none. In addition to many regular season games each year, I drove down for the Eastern Finals and Calder Cup Finals games in 2011, and can report there weren't many Ottawa Sens jerseys there for the party with the exception of one game where the team sent a bus down, hopefully a few of you took advantage.

It's nice to see Silfverberg adapting well to the N.A. style. He should gain confidence as the season progresses. Will also see whether Da Costa can provide timely offense. Nowhere near being sold on this guy being a legit NHLer. Encouraging starts for Stone and Prince, but we'll see their conditioning come March/April. I thought the Sens made a critical error in simultaneously dropping two of their tough guys and spiritual leaders in the off-season (Carkner, Konopka), but with the emergence of Borowiecki and others, this may not be as problematic as it looked in September.

While evidently the AHL is a physical, grinding league that favors veterans, it is interesting to note the Sens have earned a league-best 12-4-1-1 with a rookie leading scorer averaging just .67 PPG (Silfverberg). Given the .722+ winning percentage, one would expect a handful of guys operating at or near a point per game. Amazingly, the B-Sens don't have a single player in the top 100 in league scoring (granted, they have played 2-4 fewer games than most clubs). Presently there are 19 skaters with between 5-12 points, a pretty impressive distribution of wealth which speaks to their solid two-way concept and Lehner's stellar start. It's all the more impressive when the current month-long winning streak occurs without the services of their top dman from the start of the campaign (Cowen).

I did write to the Sens asking why they failed to bring any games to SBP, as has consistently been the case in recent years. The deliberate lack of B-Sens games in Ottawa is even more perplexing given that Sens management knew the strong likelihood of a lockout months in advance (consider that their summer ticket drive was scaled back and they didn't even bother producing a home/away pocket schedule, which in prior years they distributed throughout the city by August). The Sens blew a great opportunity to further market their young stars and future Senators, as this board suggests there is a healthy appetite in Ottawa for some quality hockey with the NHL on hiatus. With no semi-pro sports outside of a disastrous 7-21-0-3 OHL team, Ottawa has very little to offer the engaged sports fan. Look forward to hitting up more games on the road this winter.
What about the STH in Binghamton? We are paying to watch this team play in Binghamton, not Ottawa.

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:48 PM
  #36
derriko
Registered User
 
derriko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 3,049
vCash: 500
Dont worry about Stone dropping off. He played literally 30 minutes a game in Brandon for years.

With our new Euros, that could be a problem though. Dont they play like 1-2 games a week tops in the SEL?

derriko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:20 PM
  #37
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 11,447
vCash: 500
Good writeup BSF. Love that 3rd line with DD, Grant & Stone. They all have size, they can all score & they all play a very good two way defensive game already, that would be a great 3rd line in Ottawa some day.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:15 PM
  #38
stigs17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
to SKI, SENS83, MaindotC:

As die-hard Bingo fans, I completely understand your sentiments and appreciate your contributions to the team and this board. It just strikes me as odd that the year there is no hockey in Ottawa, the Ottawa Sens pull the plug on Bingo in Ottawa. We have had a weekend November game for a few years now.

The Ottawa club generally does a poor job of marketing the B-Sens game and 98% of Ottawa fans do not connect with Binghamton, hence your stance is respected from me. Still, I believe given the lockout, 2-3 games in Ottawa (especially the rival Marlies and Bulldogs games) would really help energize the loyal fan base, of which there are nearly 11,500 season ticket holders, including myself. While the NHLPA would never endorse it, I would actually prefer an NHL season closer to 70 games (35 home) as opposed to the current 41. Will result in better quality hockey.

Just wishful thinking considering we have to endure a gorgeous 20,500 rink sitting empty with the mild exception of a rebuilding 7-24 OHL team.


Last edited by stigs17: 12-07-2012 at 09:21 PM.
stigs17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:07 AM
  #39
DJB
Sens best prospect
 
DJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,866
vCash: 700
Fantastic writeups on everyone BSF!

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:27 AM
  #40
Ski
Calder Cup Champs
 
Ski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stigs17 View Post
to SKI, SENS83, MaindotC:

As die-hard Bingo fans, I completely understand your sentiments and appreciate your contributions to the team and this board. It just strikes me as odd that the year there is no hockey in Ottawa, the Ottawa Sens pull the plug on Bingo in Ottawa. We have had a weekend November game for a few years now.

The Ottawa club generally does a poor job of marketing the B-Sens game and 98% of Ottawa fans do not connect with Binghamton, hence your stance is respected from me. Still, I believe given the lockout, 2-3 games in Ottawa (especially the rival Marlies and Bulldogs games) would really help energize the loyal fan base, of which there are nearly 11,500 season ticket holders, including myself. While the NHLPA would never endorse it, I would actually prefer an NHL season closer to 70 games (35 home) as opposed to the current 41. Will result in better quality hockey.

Just wishful thinking considering we have to endure a gorgeous 20,500 rink sitting empty with the mild exception of a rebuilding 7-24 OHL team.

Game. Set. Match.

Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 02:07 AM
  #41
Matte99
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
Dont worry about Stone dropping off. He played literally 30 minutes a game in Brandon for years.

With our new Euros, that could be a problem though. Dont they play like 1-2 games a week tops in the SEL?
They play 2-3 games a week n SEL with breaks for national team play 3 times per season.

Matte99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 08:15 AM
  #42
Canuckman44
Registered User
 
Canuckman44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gatineau/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 880
vCash: 500
The boys are playing great with a lot of confidence. One thing I notice this year is that they spread the puck out more and use their defence to open up room. Last year the forwards would cycle and cycle down low until it was taken away from them. The fact that they can actually finish this year has been awesome and the goaltending fabulous to say the least.
Heard Gryba is still playing with an injured hand. Any body have any info on this? Whats with Boro and Zibby?


Last edited by Canuckman44: 12-08-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Canuckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 08:38 AM
  #43
sg58
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckman44 View Post
Heard Gryba is still playing with an injured hand. Any body have any info on this? Whats with Boro and Zibby?
Boro strained neck after fight against Syracuse. Zibanejad throat infection/post wisdom-teeth removal symptoms.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 10:14 AM
  #44
HappyDude
Fire Cameron
 
HappyDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
Boro strained neck after fight against Syracuse. Zibanejad throat infection/post wisdom-teeth removal symptoms.
Yeah Right. More like "Im a bust and I need to get my act together" symptoms

HappyDude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:17 PM
  #45
sens83
Registered User
 
sens83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude View Post
Yeah Right. More like "Im a bust and I need to get my act together" symptoms
Time to switch to decaf...

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.