HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout Thread 2: Deal reached in early morning hours

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 10:42 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Probably but any hope comes from disaster IMO. If I already knew I'd say start it up but I want to see.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:43 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Bettman needs to go, teams need to be moved.

Old
01-04-2013, 11:11 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Probably but any hope comes from disaster IMO. If I already knew I'd say start it up but I want to see.
Quote:
on a selfish level, i want them to finalize things - and i don't care who gives up what and who benefits - just b/c i want to watch nhl hockey again.

i'm a big ohl fan - and like watching jr. hockey - but there's a point where you do want to watch something more than teenagers!

on the upside - spring training will come soon - and it will, *fingers crossed*, be an exciting year for us long ******** jays fans

there's no hope to come from disaster...b/c if a whole season is lost, the owners aren't going to turf bettman and bring in new blood. the systemic problems with the NHL are never going to be cured w/ Bettman around (b/c he's never going to say "hey! here's a great idea - let's move that team in the middle of the desert to a viable hockey market!"). the best case scenario is for the lockout to end soon, for there to be a long term deal, and for the owners to hand Uncle Gary his golden parachute and tell him to gtfo.

i wish the nhl would just switch to a luxury tax scheme. i would be much happier that way. people say the luxury tax killed mlb - and point to the jays as a team that has been hurt by the luxury tax - but never once have i blamed the luxury tax for the jays' woes...in fact, i'm supportive of the mlb luxury tax - and i'd hope that fans of NHL teams would be similarly responsible in the same situation!

Old
01-04-2013, 11:22 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
If Bettman goes, then the NHL will just hire a new commissioner that'll end up being Bettman2.0.

He certainly has significant power, but that being said he's still got a job because the owners like what he's doing.

Old
01-05-2013, 12:08 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
If Bettman goes, then the NHL will just hire a new commissioner that'll end up being Bettman2.0.

He certainly has significant power, but that being said he's still got a job because the owners like what he's doing.
don't agree with that - bettman has been the long term stable figure while ownership has been dynamic...so i don't think it will just be "same old" - unless daly is the next commissioner - and i highly doubt that will happen

i'm sure the next commish will be a headache, too - but i don't think it will just be Bettman Part Deux

Old
01-05-2013, 02:20 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Comparing MLS to the NHL is what is ridiculous. MLS is no where even near the level of the NHL. The NHL is much closer revenue wise to baseball than MLS is to it.
Yeah, let's see the NHLs revenue after another lockout.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:34 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
MLS revenue is estimated at 400 million per year so it's not even close. That and it has lost money every year for the last 10. I don't know how their still in business.

Old
01-05-2013, 02:34 AM
TwistedWrister90

Quote:
The lockout may hurt future revenue but the NHL was still seeing record levels before. The MLS still has a long way to go.

Old
01-05-2013, 04:02 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
The lockout may hurt future revenue but the NHL was still seeing record levels before. The MLS still has a long way to go.
So did MLS this year.

The comparisson is fairer then compairing the NHL to any of the MLB, NBA, NFL. The NHL is a niche sport with only 1 major TV deal.

Old
01-05-2013, 04:05 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

People can blame Bettman but the NHL was seeing record revenues so he is doing something right.

Yes the owners are greedy, so are the players, one of the sticking points in the 2nd year Cap. A 60 million cap for a 23 man roster is 2.6 million per player. If the NHL players can't work for 2.6 million a year then they need to get their heads checked.

Fact is neither side cares about what's best for the sport only about what's best for themselves and that's the issue. The owners would be fine paying the players 10% of HRR while the players would love to work for 90% and instead of working together their too busy trying to screw the other party because they're both overly greedy.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:53 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:

Fact is neither side cares about what's best for the sport only about what's best for themselves and that's the issue. The owners would be fine paying the players 10% of HRR while the players would love to work for 90% and instead of working together their too busy trying to screw the other party because they're both overly greedy.
And how is this different then any other business

Old
01-05-2013, 07:02 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
And how is this different then any other business
Are you serious? So you go to work your everyday and try to figure out how best to screw your boss and the company?

Thats nice, most people I know wants what best period, not only for themselves but for their business because they realize what's good for business is good for them. Something NHL players or owners haven't seemed to grasp.

So instead of either of the parties trying to work together their trying to rip each other apart which is the fault of both sides. The players took the negotiations personally and attacked the NHL and Bettman so now Bettman is firing back. Again instead of trying to end the lockout and get back to work their more worried about hurting the other party. It's a joke at this point.

Last edited by Sir Psycho T: 01-05-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old
01-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Are you serious? So you go to work your everyday and try to figure out how best to screw your boss and the company?

Thats nice, most people I know wants what best period, not only for themselves but for their business because they realize what's good for business is good for them. Something NHL players or owners haven't seemed to grasp.

So instead of either of the parties trying to work together their trying to rip each other apart which is the fault of both sides. The players took the negotiations personally and attacked the NHL and Bettman so now Bettman is firing back. Again instead of trying to end the lockout and get back to work their more worried about hurting the other party. It's a joke at this point.
No, but I want what's best for me. It's why if I can get paid more elsewhere I change jobs. And if my work thinks they can get someone else to do my job for less, they'll fire me and hire them. It's how business works.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:49 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
So did MLS this year.

The comparisson is fairer then compairing the NHL to any of the MLB, NBA, NFL.
No, it's not. Sorry, but you are just plain wrong.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Bettman will be around as long as he desires (Owners love his work)

Only the Coyotes are a team that is in trouble and could or should move in near future (Isles already moving to Brooklyn solved other major team with uncertain future)

Only viable choices for relocation right now

KC - Has arena , Needs ownership
Hou - Has arena , Les Alexander gave up on NHL long ago after his attempts to move Oilers and expansion were stopped

QC and Sea may become viable if both cities do infact get arena's built. Although Seattle has said time and again they want an NBA team

Hamilton is not viable as owners dont want team there and it would be negative for Sabres franchise (Not to mention arena is not NHL caliber)

Toronto will not get a 2nd team anytime soon ,, Simple reality though if an owner steps up and offers the Maple Leafs a huge chunk of $$$ ala the way Isles/Ducks did to get going in there area's then maybe it would become viable

Old
01-05-2013, 12:29 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
QC and Sea may become viable if both cities do infact get arena's built. Although Seattle has said time and again they want an NBA team
They want both. Not gonna build the stadium just for 1.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Illinihockey

Lots of positive tweets coming out today

Old
01-05-2013, 02:42 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

There are rumors that the NHL lockout is over!

@BretHedican: I'm hearing that the #NHL #Lockout is over! Let's get back 2 watching the greatest gm on earth! & let's not allow this to ever happen again

Old
01-05-2013, 02:57 PM
bct27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Lots of positive tweets coming out today
Definitely, confirming NHL's plan to wait until 48 game season deadline to make a deal. Some of the tweets for those interested:

Larry Brooks @NYP_Brooksie: Told that league has indicated willingness to come off $60 for next year, maybe $63-64, but in return for what, I don't know...

John Shannon @JSportsnet: Told the pension issue was resolved a while ago. For all you Actuaries....it will be a Defined Benefits pension, funded by the players.

Daniel Tolensky @dtolensky: What a coincidence that there's so much optimism today.. two weeks before 48-game season is scheduled to start. Almost as if it was planned.

@DarrenDreger: PA hotel is buzzing in anticipation. Down to minimal issues...but, still not done. And definition of "minimal" may differ.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:00 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Kevin Patrick ‏@KevinPatrick77
Straight from the #NHL negotiation table. Expect a 50 game season starting Jan. 12.
Expand

Deal will be done by tomorrow night. Realignment will occur in the 2013-2014 season. Will be a 10 year CBA with opt out after 8.
Expand
**** is going down!

Old
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

From the main boards:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeger View Post
Straight from the #NHL negotiation table. Expect a 50 game season starting Jan. 12.
Expand

Deal will be done by tomorrow night. Realignment will occur in the 2013-2014 season. Will be a 10 year CBA with opt out after 8.
Expand

This is the guy that broke the Parise/Suter signings

Old
Illinihockey

@HeleneStJames: Pensions agreed upon. Sorting out '13-14 cap and variance over length of player contracts. But talks are really progressing. #NHLlockout

Old
01-05-2013, 03:01 PM
bct27

Another thought I've been having: I always hear folks talking about how great Bettman has been for increasing HRR...but I'm not convinced he's the cause of that increase. I'd attribute a lot of the NHL's success to the strengthening of the grass roots of hockey in the US (e.g., see rise of USA hockey program, with gold at world juniors today!). Bettman gets way too much credit, and the way him and the owners keep locking out the fans (err, the players) is a huge barrier to the game's rise--I think this sport needs to put way more emphasis on cultivating its fan base (marketing, PR) rather than the core economics of the game (fighting with the players over how to split of revenue).

Old
01-05-2013, 03:06 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bct27 View Post
Another thought I've been having: I always hear folks talking about how great Bettman has been for increasing HRR...but I'm not convinced he's the cause of that increase. I'd attribute a lot of the NHL's success to the strengthening of the grass roots of hockey in the US (e.g., see rise of USA hockey program, with gold at world juniors today!). Bettman gets way too much credit, and the way him and the owners keep locking out the fans (err, the players) is a huge barrier to the game's rise--I think this sport needs to put way more emphasis on cultivating its fan base (marketing, PR) rather than the core economics of the game (fighting with the players over how to split of revenue).
Maybe some of that. Here are the main reasons for record revenue. 1. Inflation, prices increase, ect... same sales will result in more revenue every year. 2. Canadian dollar. 3. Draft class after the lockout, Kane, Crosby, Ovi, ect, ect - marketable stars. 4. Big market teams with cup runs, Chicago, Boston, LA. 5. HD availability makes it much better on t.v.

Bettman has little to do with it.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:10 PM
bct27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Maybe some of that. Here are the main reasons for record revenue. 1. Inflation, prices increase, ect... same sales will result in more revenue every year. 2. Canadian dollar. 3. Draft class after the lockout, Kane, Crosby, Ovi, ect, ect - marketable stars. 4. Big market teams with cup runs, Chicago, Boston, LA. 5. HD availability makes it much better on t.v.

Bettman has little to do with it.
yea, all good points

Closed Thread