HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jan 6/13: CBA reached to end the Lockout. Rejoice! (Post#783)

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Canucker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Sounds like both sides are speaking the same language about penalizing existing long term deals so I think it's safe to assume the Canucks are going to have a whack of dead cap space when Luongo retires. So now it's just a question of whether the Canucks will have $4M or so in dead cap space (NHLPA's plan) or $5.33M (NHL's suggestion).
They really should have some sort of amnesty for deals made in the prior CBA, it doesn't make sense to penalize teams now. If the league didn't like those deals at the time they should have rejected them from the beginning.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
They really should have some sort of amnesty for deals made in the prior CBA, it doesn't make sense to penalize teams now. If the league didn't like those deals at the time they should have rejected them from the beginning.
On the flip side, a penalizing clause for the team-on-signing would work in the Canucks' favor in the present as it would positively affect Luongo's value, since the team taking him on loses all the risk of the contract, which is the thing having the biggest negative effect on trading him right now.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickassguy View Post
On the flip side, a penalizing clause for the team-on-signing would work in the Canucks' favor in the present as it would positively affect Luongo's value, since the team taking him on loses all the risk of the contract, which is the thing having the biggest negative effect on trading him right now.
As much as I would love to see Luongo's contract viewed as a benefit to the Canucks in a trade, I would much rather see a system that makes sense to me. Getting the loopholes out of a flawed system should be paramount over seeing to teams that used the loopholes being punished for it after the fact.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:42 PM
billvanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
As much as I would love to see Luongo's contract viewed as a benefit to the Canucks in a trade, I would much rather see a system that makes sense to me. Getting the loopholes out of a flawed system should be paramount over seeing to teams that used the loopholes being punished for it after the fact.
This! The Canucks should be screaming about this. And if Parise, Suter or Weber gets injured and quits ...

It is just plain wrong to penalize someone after the fact. The league screwed up and didn't foresee how the CBA would get manipulated, and want to penalize the people who took advantage of their mistake. Bullcrappy.

Old
12-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Kickassguy

Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Definitely agreed. It's silly to penalize teams for exposing a flaw in their own binding agreement. If you don't like the deals, don't approve them and that's the end of it.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Team1040:
Quote:
rt @realkyper: #cba meeting over. No progress. #nhl remains firm on "take it or leave it" last offer to #nhlpa.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

^Not really surprised at that. Next thing I'd like to see is a full NHLPA vote on that proposal - let's see where the majority really fall with respect to the offer.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
^Not really surprised at that. Next thing I'd like to see is a full NHLPA vote on that proposal - let's see where the majority really fall with respect to the offer.
According to a tweet I read earlier today, the owners have lowered the Make Whole amount to around $200 million.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
According to a tweet I read earlier today, the owners have lowered the Make Whole amount to around $200 million.
Really? I'd think that would be very important news, but none of the TSN (or even Sportsnet) guys have mentioned that.

Anywho, I think that if a deal isn't reached before the new year, then the whole season will be cancelled.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
12-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Really? I'd think that would be very important news, but none of the TSN (or even Sportsnet) guys have mentioned that.

Anywho, I think that if a deal isn't reached before the new year, then the whole season will be cancelled.
BuffNewsVogl:
Quote:
Just as I figured yesterday http://t.co/38WEIXGD MT @JKTHN Hearing owners reverted to $211M make whole offer as today's starting point.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Quote:
BuffNewsVogl:
No major sources have mentioned this.

https://twitter.com/JonathanWillis/s...86217897472000
Quote:
An offer supposedly "off the table." MT @RealKyper: #CBA meeting over. #NHL remains firm on "take it or leave it" last offer to #NHLPA.
To me it sounds like the NHL decided to keep their offer from last week on the table, but they refuse to change anything in the offer.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:45 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
BuffNewsVogl:
"Make Whole" (ludicrous phrase) has to come down as the lockout drags on - the players can't expect MW for pay packets that aren't being handed out. My rough maths puts it at $10-15m MW lost per fortnight. Dropping it to $200m seems to be a shot across the bow of the NHLPA, nothing more than a wake up call that it will come down and they will negotiate it back to 280-290m if they are quick. The only way it stays down at $200m is if they lost something tied to X number of games ($100m in sponsors right for a min 60 game season etc).

Old
12-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Why the heck would union leadership agree to this? Make the owners vote on an NHLPA proposal then. It doesn't make sense.

Old
12-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Why the heck would union leadership agree to this? Make the owners vote on an NHLPA proposal then. It doesn't make sense.
I agree. It does the union no good to vote on something that the leadership doesn't recommend.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:04 PM
opendoor

If that punitive clause for front loaded deals goes through then the Luongo contract is going to have been a monumental cluster**** for Vancouver. The Canucks will have gotten 2 years of $1.5-2M cap savings in return for potentially 4-5 years of $4-$5.3M dead cap space.

We should just be thankful that the Sedins didn't get those deals as well. The Canucks would be looking at $10-15M in dead cap space 7-8 years from now. I can't believe some of these teams that are going to be screwed over with long tenured and powerful owners like Philadelphia, Detroit, New York, etc. are letting this find its way into the CBA.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
No major sources have mentioned this.

https://twitter.com/JonathanWillis/s...86217897472000

To me it sounds like the NHL decided to keep their offer from last week on the table, but they refuse to change anything in the offer.
Yep.

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/stat...99034390269952
Quote:
Brendan Morrison: players asked if they wanted to accept last week's proposal. You can guess the answer

Old
12-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Tiranis

Why even waste the time of a mediator...

Old
12-12-2012, 05:22 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
If that punitive clause for front loaded deals goes through then the Luongo contract is going to have been a monumental cluster**** for Vancouver. The Canucks will have gotten 2 years of $1.5-2M cap savings in return for potentially 4-5 years of $4-$5.3M dead cap space.

We should just be thankful that the Sedins didn't get those deals as well. The Canucks would be looking at $10-15M in dead cap space 7-8 years from now. I can't believe some of these teams that are going to be screwed over with long tenured and powerful owners like Philadelphia, Detroit, New York, etc. are letting this find its way into the CBA.
They signed these contracts expecting their players to play them out. Honest they did, they said so when they signed them. Just be glad we only have 1 in Luongo. If Parise blows his knee out next year and becomes a 3rd liner for the next 10 years god forbid anything happens to Suter or the Wild are Doa for the next 10 years. At least Nashville could survive a Weber injury cap wise because they have space.

Old
12-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
I'm not saying they would - I'm just saying what I, as a fan, would like to see (even if it isn't realistic).

Old
12-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Why even waste the time of a mediator...
I don't know why they wouldn't meet face-to-face with the mediator, clearly meeting separately did nothing last time. Why the hell would it work again? Pretty sure that's what insanity is.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Team1040:
So stupid that they finally agree about HRR after it being such a central issue. It's like both sides are making excuses for this to drag out so long.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Shouldn't the players decide what they deem fair? What is wrong with a democratic vote?

Old
12-12-2012, 06:14 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Shouldn't the players decide what they deem fair? What is wrong with a democratic vote?
Because there's an established protocol in place. The owners aren't going to vote on a proposal until Bettman, Jacobs, and Edwards have agreed to it and the players aren't going to vote on one until their negotiating team has agreed in principle.

You don't put half finished proposals (which is effectively what the NHL's is since it's just a rough outline meant for the NHLPA negotiators) to a membership vote. If the players really want to get back playing and take whatever's on the table then they need to put pressure on the negotiating committee to come to an agreement that they can vote on.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
They'll put it to a vote when there is something to vote on.

The membership puts their faith in the negotiating team representing the union's best interests...I think we've seen enough players who have taken part in negotiations to get a good idea that they are fairly resolute about their position. The only people asking for a vote are a small group of ex-NHL'ers, a handful of current NHL'ers and a lot of whiney fans who just want their hockey back and don't have any vested interest in the outcome.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:58 PM
ddawg1950

@Mirtle:

"In conclusion: No one can agree on what's on the table - and even if it was on the table, the other side knows it doesn't want it. What fun."

Closed Thread