HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jan 6/13: CBA reached to end the Lockout. Rejoice! (Post#783)

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Proto

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
Ok - a $20 million loss, when the league overall makes over $250 million in operating income, is a huge reason for picking sides in the CBA negotiation.
Sure it is. When the league continues to pretend they're losing money (when they're not) and holds up these poor franchises are a reason to fix the CBA, it's a demonstrably disingenuous assertion. I still haven't seen a single cogent justification for the league's "ask" -- it smacks of greedy idiot proofing.

Quote:
Who knows - I don't. Hamilton is not a possibility.
Yes, it is. The NHL is already quite confident that no such veto right exists legally, and all reports indicate they would have felt comfortable moving forward on that assumption if the Markham arena had led to a relocation possibility. Now that the team has been sold, that opposition to a second franchise has likely evaporated.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:36 PM
*Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
And for the entertainment industry in general. If TV/Film production in Vancouver slows down, actors used to getting work at one level (series regular->recurring role->guest star->small actor role->->->background) will start seeking work a level or two below making it harder for everyone else trying to get work at their level.

In a lot of other professional industries as well I'd imagine if something goes wrong like this there will be a trickle down effect where the displaced professionals with a higher ability or seniority step into other jobs pushing others of lesser ability/seniority to the outside.
We're talking about a labour lock-out, not an industry-wide slowdown. It's not comparable.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Why don't they ever meet with the mediator while they are together? Would that not work much better as they could have some back and forth?

Old
01-04-2013, 05:12 PM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Why don't they ever meet with the mediator while they are together? Would that not work much better as they could have some back and forth?
Would almost defeat the purpose of the mediator. I'm sure that both the mediator + NHL/NHLPA bring up sensitive issues the other side has no business in hearing.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Cromulence
Up and at them!

TSN needs to stop using the same stock footage in every news story on the lockout. I've seen the shot of Sidney Crosby leaving a negotiating meeting about 50 times in the last two weeks.

Old
01-04-2013, 10:49 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulence View Post
TSN needs to stop using the same stock footage in every news story on the lockout. I've seen the shot of Sidney Crosby leaving a negotiating meeting about 50 times in the last two weeks.
My favorite is the shot of Bettman looking at the camera while going up an escalator.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
01-05-2013, 03:07 PM
luongo321

Can anyone photoshop Beckenboss's head onto this?

Old
01-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Jeff O'Neil may have just won a D-Bag of the year award...what a goof.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Jeff O'Neil may have just won a D-Bag of the year award...what a goof.
I'm surprised anyone would take him seriously, he's never been anything but sarcastic on twitter. And he could never be taken as any sort of insider.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
I'm surprised anyone would take him seriously, he's never been anything but sarcastic on twitter. And he could never be taken as any sort of insider.
Oh, I know; but just a jerk move from him.

Hope this positive atmosphere that seems to be building continues.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Oh, I know; but just a jerk move from him.

Hope this positive atmosphere that seems to be building continues.
Yeah, it would be nice to see some adult, business-like behaviour for a change.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Pseudonymous

No idea what youre talking about regarding Jeff O'neill, but If by positive atmosphere, youre referring to the positive outlook people are having towards the labour negotiations. I dont put any weight in any of it, they've been saying that every 2nd time they negotiate, it's called stringing people along. Media and NHL both need to do this, they want people to still buy tickets and still goto the website and tune into their tv network to check the latest.

There is 0 chance they would just come out and say things arent looking good and not meet. Or continue to meet and continue to say things arent looking that good after each one. Its all about stringing us all along. So that when it comes return, we jump right back on

Until hockey is back on, i dont put any weight into what a website or business say that have every reason to string us along says

Old
01-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
No idea what youre talking about regarding Jeff O'neill, but If by positive atmosphere, youre referring to the positive outlook people are having towards the labour negotiations. I dont put any weight in any of it, they've been saying that every 2nd time they negotiate, it's called stringing people along. Media and NHL both need to do this, they want people to still buy tickets and still goto the website and tune into their tv network to check the latest.

There is 0 chance they would just come out and say things arent looking good and not meet. Or continue to meet and continue to say things arent looking that good after each one. Its all about stringing us all along. So that when it comes return, we jump right back on

Until hockey is back on, i dont put any weight into what a website or business say that have every reason to string us along says
Jeff O'Neill tweeted that the lockout was over and the season was starting Jan 12th.

They're getting close to the end now, this is all just a part of the dog and pony show...Whether or not it gets done today, tomorrow or at 11:59pm on Jan 11th doesn't matter really. It's bound to get done, and if it doesn't it's going to be one of the most epic failures in the history of sports.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:55 PM
Pseudonymous

If you see 'cautious optimism' anywhere regarding recent negotiations, you know its going south. All that means is be optimistic enough to stay interested but dont be pissed off when it doesnt' happen

Old
01-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Jeff O'Neill tweeted that the lockout was over and the season was starting Jan 12th.

They're getting close to the end now, this is all just a part of the dog and pony show...Whether or not it gets done today, tomorrow or at 11:59pm on Jan 11th doesn't matter really. It's bound to get done, and if it doesn't it's going to be one of the most epic failures in the history of sports.
Yup. Everything you said.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:48 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 2178
People sure love to get their own hopes up during this whole process. Some good news comes out of the talks and people get all hyped a deal is almost done. It's looking better as I now, but people expect a deal done tonight of tomorrow morning. IMO, just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I think a deal will get done, but it'll be a couple days before its official.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Hammer79

I'm becoming more convinced that this season will be lost. The only positives that I can think of coming out of that situation would be;

a) Bettman's job must be in jeopardy if this season is lost. If the season is lost, it's all on him as far as I'm concerned.

b) The financial stress may cause teams in failing markets to be relocated. Will Glendale be chipping in $25M this year to cover losses? Have fun in Quebec City, Doan!

c) With expiring contracts, more teams will have more wriggle room and more UFA options for the 2013-2014 season, although that season might be in jeopardy as well. If this season is played with a significantly reduced cap, many contending teams would be making cap dump trades.

d) Having top NHL players going over to Europe for this year will help grow the game and maybe countered the influence from the upstart KHL. Now if only somehow a European NHL division could be made to work...

e) From a Canucks fan standpoint, this team would have been in trouble this year if Kesler is still months away from returning. The Canucks really have no other good option for 2C. I don't think Schroeder is close to ready to carry the load, and the UFA market for centres is pretty thin by now. Also, depending on the final agreement, the goaltending trade situation could have turned into a gong show if the cap was reduced. The Canucks without a healthy Kesler are a one-line team, and the Sedins can't carry the offensive burden alone in the post-season. They would have made the playoffs, but I don't think they go deep without at least two offensive lines firing on all cylinders.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:57 PM
luongo321

I'm listening to Come on Eileen as I wait for this lockout to be over. For some reason, I can see the end of this coming. Finally, hopefully we can have some luongo closure as well.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:03 AM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
I'm listening to Come on Eileen as I wait for this lockout to be over. For some reason, I can see the end of this coming. Finally, hopefully we can have some luongo closure as well.
I don't think Luongo closure is on the horizon. Although a shortened season could end this saga sooner; at least we can hope.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:48 AM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
NHL CBA talks started more than 12 hours ago. No reason to think its going to end soon.
Marathon in Manhattan.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:56 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

Main board mentioned a potential 8 games vs teams in your division.

8 games VS the NW Division teams......

Old
01-06-2013, 12:56 AM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
I don't think Luongo closure is on the horizon. Although a shortened season could end this saga sooner; at least we can hope.
I think they want to get rid of lu ASAP. He has dealt with it really well and hasn't made a big deal about everything but it's going to be a huge distraction for the entire team if we don't get rid of him soon. Imagine Schneider gets injured or Luongo vastly outplays Schneider? Would be a nightmare. I still don't understand why AV has a job here. He has to be on an incredibly short leash.

edit: sorry, i'll try to stay on-topic now.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:05 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Still meeting as of 2am EST. They have to be exhausted. They've been at it for 14 hours now.

It's good they're getting as much done tonight as they can. I'm hopeful for resolution tomorrow.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:09 AM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Bill Daly in email: "We will continue as long as there is a reason to continue."
https://twitter.com/ByKevinAllen/sta...17229960089600

Old
01-06-2013, 01:10 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Lot of reporters tweeting that this thing is over. Will find out Monday for sure

Closed Thread