HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

How would Canada U20 do against a bottom NHL team?

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2012, 12:54 AM
Hanji

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
The list of players that didn't play against the UofA was like a who's who of Team Canada: Nugent-Hopkins, Scheifele and Huberdeau, Dougie Hamilton, Morgan Rielly, Scott Harrington, Strome, Philip Danault, Boone Jenner, Charles Hudon, Brett Ritchie, Xavier Ouellet. Basically everyone that was guaranteed a spot on the team (Ouellet was out due to injury).

You can't draw any conclusions out the result when it comes to CIS teams.

So what? With all those guys playing, Canada wins 4-3 instead of losing 1-4. But they still would lose 20-0 to an NHL team.

Old
12-13-2012, 03:51 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!

vCash: 814
Junior goalies would be overwhelmed, NHL team would run away with the game.

Just a matter of maturity, nothing else.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
12-13-2012, 11:54 AM
latvianhockeyfan

In offense they can do something, in defense they can't stop NHL forwards.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:15 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by latvianhockeyfan View Post
In offense they can do something, in defense they can't stop NHL forwards.
To be honest, I doubt they could even do much on offense.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:20 PM
DJOpus

This questions is actually rediculous. The worst AHL team is comprised of guys that are better than a U20 all-star team.

I think this all stems from the fact that the U20 tournament is hyped so much by TSN that people think its so much more than it is. It's entertaining and I love watching it but the skill level is lower than anyone wants to admit.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:30 PM
SiberianHockey

It looks like If there is a real game between Canada U20 and an NHL team HFBoards would be shocked.
In other sports(basketball, volleyball, bandy come to mind) there are a lot of unofficial games between U20 national teams and professional clubs of the same nation. And usually U20 teams fare pretty well in those matches. I don't see why hockey is any different.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
This questions is actually rediculous. The worst AHL team is comprised of guys that are better than a U20 all-star team.

I think this all stems from the fact that the U20 tournament is hyped so much by TSN that people think its so much more than it is. It's entertaining and I love watching it but the skill level is lower than anyone wants to admit.
Absolutely. You could pick any team in the AHL and find guys on it that dominated their junior league and led their team in scoring at their position at one point or other. Even CIS teams (like the U of A team that beat the juniors last night) are mostly composed of ex CHL players who were among the top players on their teams, and in some cases drafted by NHL clubs. These players made the smart decision of going to a good school on scholership and getting an education rather than toiling in the ECHL or something for a bunch of years and getting paid beer money.

I mean the U of A men's team does alright in competitions against US college teams with legit NHL prospects on them. I don't see why anyone would be surprised that they beat a team of kids that are mostly 4 or 5 years younger than they are.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:18 PM
darmitage

there is still a few real good juniors that make the jump right to the NHL! John Tavares, Taylor Hall, goalie Steve Mason, Patrick Kane etc!!!!!!!!

Last edited by darmitage: 12-14-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old
12-14-2012, 11:24 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmitage View Post
there is still a few real good juniors that make the jump right to the NHL! John Tavares, Taylor Hall, goalie Steve Mason, Patrick Kane etc!!!!!!!!
this isnt basketball, its an 20 man sport

Old
12-14-2012, 11:55 PM
PhilaFlyers

Why is this even being asked? Wouldn't be close. At all.

Old
12-15-2012, 04:50 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiberianHockey View Post
It looks like If there is a real game between Canada U20 and an NHL team HFBoards would be shocked.
In other sports(basketball, volleyball, bandy come to mind) there are a lot of unofficial games between U20 national teams and professional clubs of the same nation. And usually U20 teams fare pretty well in those matches. I don't see why hockey is any different.
What do volleyball and bandy have to do with hockey? I admit I don't know anything about bandy, but considering there is a giant difference between hockey and volleyball in that players are not only allowed to touch each other, but attempt to remove the person from their skates with full contact, I'd say that's not a good comparison.

Soccer U20 teams would never beat a top 30 club in the world.

An NCAA football team (which is not U20) would be annihilated by an NFL team.

Old
12-15-2012, 04:51 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post

Skill level no, I disagree. Physical maturation is the major issue.

Old
12-15-2012, 07:09 AM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Not just physical. I think one of the biggest reasons the WJC can be exciting is because of the terrible plays the kids try to make occasionally that usually result in great scoring chances for the opposing team. Plays you would never see at even the minor pro level.

Old
12-15-2012, 08:29 AM
Kshahdoo

Dynamo Moscow without its best players just beat Russia U20 4-2.

Old
12-15-2012, 09:17 AM
darmitage

Quote:
I agree, the biggest difference between the best junior team in Canada(CHL) against last place NHL team would be the physical part of the game!

lets not mix up juniors with AHL players okay, AHL players are men big difference!

Old
12-15-2012, 01:31 PM
SiberianHockey

Quote:
What do volleyball and bandy have to do with hockey? I admit I don't know anything about bandy, but considering there is a giant difference between hockey and volleyball in that players are not only allowed to touch each other, but attempt to remove the person from their skates with full contact, I'd say that's not a good comparison.

Soccer U20 teams would never beat a top 30 club in the world.

An NCAA football team (which is not U20) would be annihilated by an NFL team.
NCAA football team would surely be annihilated by an NFL team. The main reason for that the big gap between best players of the game and other student players. NFL best are physical freaks from all over the nation and there are only a few NFL level players even on best NCAA teams. On the other hand NCAA select team after some training sessions would be able to beat any NFL team.
In fact process of physical maturation for men is complete by the age of 18. Take a look at weightlifting, gymnastics, track & field, swimming, skating, boxing and other physically demanding sports.
For team sports thats a little bit different. When a young player is completely ready to take a spot on a professional team it usually takes additional season or two to adjust to a new team and to win coach's confidence. If not that 20-21 year old best junior hockey players are no worse than average 25-30 year old pros.

Old
12-15-2012, 01:45 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
A handful (at most) do every year, and you don't have an entire team of them.
Also the vast majority of kids who make the NHL at 18 get buttery soft icetime and are eased in. That helps them look much better (some exceptions, e.g. Landeskog, but there aren't a lot of those)

Old
12-15-2012, 02:03 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiberianHockey View Post
NCAA football team would surely be annihilated by an NFL team. The main reason for that the big gap between best players of the game and other student players. NFL best are physical freaks from all over the nation and there are only a few NFL level players even on best NCAA teams. On the other hand NCAA select team after some training sessions would be able to beat any NFL team.
In fact process of physical maturation for men is complete by the age of 18. Take a look at weightlifting, gymnastics, track & field, swimming, skating, boxing and other physically demanding sports.
For team sports thats a little bit different. When a young player is completely ready to take a spot on a professional team it usually takes additional season or two to adjust to a new team and to win coach's confidence. If not that 20-21 year old best junior hockey players are no worse than average 25-30 year old pros.
Ugh, this is so painfully wrong. NFL players consist of select team graduates who are now more physically mature and developed. NCAA players are not used to the speed of the league. There's a reason only a few guys each year can step right in and dominate.

Old
12-15-2012, 02:24 PM
darmitage

I don,t know people the London Knights sure looked good last night!

Old
12-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
Not just physical. I think one of the biggest reasons the WJC can be exciting is because of the terrible plays the kids try to make occasionally that usually result in great scoring chances for the opposing team. Plays you would never see at even the minor pro level.
Yep, indeed mentally the adult pros would be much further along.

Old
12-16-2012, 02:04 AM
Prairie Habs

Okay lets try and give the juniors a chance. Extend it to all counties and all junior age players. What is the best year and up to what league do you think they would stand a chance?

In 2010 they would have Stamkos (tied for Rocket that year), Doughty (nominated for Norris + Olympic gold), Schenn and Bogosian both also had 2 years in the league.

Something like:

Boedker - Stamkos - Eberle
Kane - Tavares - Duchene
Hall - Seguin - Boychuk
Filatov - Hodgson- Kassian

Pietrangelo - Doughty
Schenn - Bogosian
Myers - Karlsson
Carlson - Fowler
Hedman

Pickard
Campbell

So at that point I think all those Dmen were in the NHL and at least a few of the forwards. Obviously they would get slaughtered in net but I think the D would make up for it at least a bit. Sorry if I forgot anyone specific, I tried to go for the older guys who were already in the NHL or at least the guys who developed physically early like Kassian. Also I took way to many D because I forgot how those guys matched up at that particular time but its a solid pool to draw from.

Old
12-16-2012, 02:26 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
So at that point I think all those Dmen were in the NHL and at least a few of the forwards. Obviously they would get slaughtered in net but I think the D would make up for it at least a bit. Sorry if I forgot anyone specific, I tried to go for the older guys who were already in the NHL or at least the guys who developed physically early like Kassian. Also I took way to many D because I forgot how those guys matched up at that particular time but its a solid pool to draw from.
That really defeats the purpose of the thread doesn't it?

The thread is about players who WEREN'T in the NHL. So take Junior (CHL mostly) players from 2010.

Old
12-16-2012, 02:34 AM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
That really defeats the purpose of the thread doesn't it?

The thread is about players who WEREN'T in the NHL. So take Junior (CHL mostly) players from 2010.
And the consensus of the thread was that they would get destroyed so I am looking for a situation where they would stand a chance. If you are only choosing from a pool of players that aren't good enough to be in the NHL I really don't see how they would be able to compete at anywhere near an NHL level, hence making it a little easier.

Old
12-16-2012, 03:01 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
And the consensus of the thread was that they would get destroyed so I am looking for a situation where they would stand a chance. If you are only choosing from a pool of players that aren't good enough to be in the NHL I really don't see how they would be able to compete at anywhere near an NHL level, hence making it a little easier.

The only team that has a chance is the 2005 Canadian team with a few ringers from other teams.

However even throwing Ovechkin and Malkin on that team is going to be tough because nobody at that age is going to be able to defensively check NHL players. Then there is the goalie issue, very few junior goalies are going to stand up to that.

Old
12-16-2012, 08:58 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmitage View Post
I don,t know people the London Knights sure looked good last night!
That's because they were playing another junior team...

Closed Thread