HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

How would Canada U20 do against a bottom NHL team?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-13-2012, 12:54 AM
  #126
Hanji
Registered User
 
Hanji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
The list of players that didn't play against the UofA was like a who's who of Team Canada: Nugent-Hopkins, Scheifele and Huberdeau, Dougie Hamilton, Morgan Rielly, Scott Harrington, Strome, Philip Danault, Boone Jenner, Charles Hudon, Brett Ritchie, Xavier Ouellet. Basically everyone that was guaranteed a spot on the team (Ouellet was out due to injury).

You can't draw any conclusions out the result when it comes to CIS teams.

So what? With all those guys playing, Canada wins 4-3 instead of losing 1-4. But they still would lose 20-0 to an NHL team.

Hanji is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 03:51 AM
  #127
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,190
vCash: 814
Junior goalies would be overwhelmed, NHL team would run away with the game.

Just a matter of maturity, nothing else.

__________________

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 11:54 AM
  #128
latvianhockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
In offense they can do something, in defense they can't stop NHL forwards.

latvianhockeyfan is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 12:15 PM
  #129
candyman82
Registered User
 
candyman82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 2,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by latvianhockeyfan View Post
In offense they can do something, in defense they can't stop NHL forwards.
To be honest, I doubt they could even do much on offense.

candyman82 is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 12:20 PM
  #130
DJOpus
Registered User
 
DJOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,807
vCash: 500
This questions is actually rediculous. The worst AHL team is comprised of guys that are better than a U20 all-star team.

I think this all stems from the fact that the U20 tournament is hyped so much by TSN that people think its so much more than it is. It's entertaining and I love watching it but the skill level is lower than anyone wants to admit.

DJOpus is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 01:30 PM
  #131
SiberianHockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Moscow
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
It looks like If there is a real game between Canada U20 and an NHL team HFBoards would be shocked.
In other sports(basketball, volleyball, bandy come to mind) there are a lot of unofficial games between U20 national teams and professional clubs of the same nation. And usually U20 teams fare pretty well in those matches. I don't see why hockey is any different.

SiberianHockey is offline  
Old
12-13-2012, 02:42 PM
  #132
Alistar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Azores
Posts: 9,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
This questions is actually rediculous. The worst AHL team is comprised of guys that are better than a U20 all-star team.

I think this all stems from the fact that the U20 tournament is hyped so much by TSN that people think its so much more than it is. It's entertaining and I love watching it but the skill level is lower than anyone wants to admit.
Absolutely. You could pick any team in the AHL and find guys on it that dominated their junior league and led their team in scoring at their position at one point or other. Even CIS teams (like the U of A team that beat the juniors last night) are mostly composed of ex CHL players who were among the top players on their teams, and in some cases drafted by NHL clubs. These players made the smart decision of going to a good school on scholership and getting an education rather than toiling in the ECHL or something for a bunch of years and getting paid beer money.

I mean the U of A men's team does alright in competitions against US college teams with legit NHL prospects on them. I don't see why anyone would be surprised that they beat a team of kids that are mostly 4 or 5 years younger than they are.

Alistar is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 07:18 PM
  #133
darmitage
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
there is still a few real good juniors that make the jump right to the NHL! John Tavares, Taylor Hall, goalie Steve Mason, Patrick Kane etc!!!!!!!!


Last edited by darmitage: 12-14-2012 at 07:28 PM.
darmitage is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 11:24 PM
  #134
um
Registered User
 
um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmitage View Post
there is still a few real good juniors that make the jump right to the NHL! John Tavares, Taylor Hall, goalie Steve Mason, Patrick Kane etc!!!!!!!!
this isnt basketball, its an 20 man sport

um is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 11:55 PM
  #135
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,300
vCash: 500
Why is this even being asked? Wouldn't be close. At all.

PhilaFlyers is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 04:50 AM
  #136
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiberianHockey View Post
It looks like If there is a real game between Canada U20 and an NHL team HFBoards would be shocked.
In other sports(basketball, volleyball, bandy come to mind) there are a lot of unofficial games between U20 national teams and professional clubs of the same nation. And usually U20 teams fare pretty well in those matches. I don't see why hockey is any different.
What do volleyball and bandy have to do with hockey? I admit I don't know anything about bandy, but considering there is a giant difference between hockey and volleyball in that players are not only allowed to touch each other, but attempt to remove the person from their skates with full contact, I'd say that's not a good comparison.

Soccer U20 teams would never beat a top 30 club in the world.

An NCAA football team (which is not U20) would be annihilated by an NFL team.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 04:51 AM
  #137
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
This questions is actually rediculous. The worst AHL team is comprised of guys that are better than a U20 all-star team.

I think this all stems from the fact that the U20 tournament is hyped so much by TSN that people think its so much more than it is. It's entertaining and I love watching it but the skill level is lower than anyone wants to admit.
Skill level no, I disagree. Physical maturation is the major issue.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 07:09 AM
  #138
EbencoyE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Skill level no, I disagree. Physical maturation is the major issue.
Not just physical. I think one of the biggest reasons the WJC can be exciting is because of the terrible plays the kids try to make occasionally that usually result in great scoring chances for the opposing team. Plays you would never see at even the minor pro level.

EbencoyE is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 08:29 AM
  #139
Kshahdoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 3,221
vCash: 500
Dynamo Moscow without its best players just beat Russia U20 4-2.

Kshahdoo is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 09:17 AM
  #140
darmitage
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Skill level no, I disagree. Physical maturation is the major issue.
I agree, the biggest difference between the best junior team in Canada(CHL) against last place NHL team would be the physical part of the game!

lets not mix up juniors with AHL players okay, AHL players are men big difference!

darmitage is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 01:31 PM
  #141
SiberianHockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Moscow
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
What do volleyball and bandy have to do with hockey? I admit I don't know anything about bandy, but considering there is a giant difference between hockey and volleyball in that players are not only allowed to touch each other, but attempt to remove the person from their skates with full contact, I'd say that's not a good comparison.

Soccer U20 teams would never beat a top 30 club in the world.

An NCAA football team (which is not U20) would be annihilated by an NFL team.
NCAA football team would surely be annihilated by an NFL team. The main reason for that the big gap between best players of the game and other student players. NFL best are physical freaks from all over the nation and there are only a few NFL level players even on best NCAA teams. On the other hand NCAA select team after some training sessions would be able to beat any NFL team.
In fact process of physical maturation for men is complete by the age of 18. Take a look at weightlifting, gymnastics, track & field, swimming, skating, boxing and other physically demanding sports.
For team sports thats a little bit different. When a young player is completely ready to take a spot on a professional team it usually takes additional season or two to adjust to a new team and to win coach's confidence. If not that 20-21 year old best junior hockey players are no worse than average 25-30 year old pros.

SiberianHockey is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 01:45 PM
  #142
SmellOfVictory
Registered User
 
SmellOfVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,186
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
A handful (at most) do every year, and you don't have an entire team of them.
Also the vast majority of kids who make the NHL at 18 get buttery soft icetime and are eased in. That helps them look much better (some exceptions, e.g. Landeskog, but there aren't a lot of those)

SmellOfVictory is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 02:03 PM
  #143
WarriorofTime
Registered User
 
WarriorofTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiberianHockey View Post
NCAA football team would surely be annihilated by an NFL team. The main reason for that the big gap between best players of the game and other student players. NFL best are physical freaks from all over the nation and there are only a few NFL level players even on best NCAA teams. On the other hand NCAA select team after some training sessions would be able to beat any NFL team.
In fact process of physical maturation for men is complete by the age of 18. Take a look at weightlifting, gymnastics, track & field, swimming, skating, boxing and other physically demanding sports.
For team sports thats a little bit different. When a young player is completely ready to take a spot on a professional team it usually takes additional season or two to adjust to a new team and to win coach's confidence. If not that 20-21 year old best junior hockey players are no worse than average 25-30 year old pros.
Ugh, this is so painfully wrong. NFL players consist of select team graduates who are now more physically mature and developed. NCAA players are not used to the speed of the league. There's a reason only a few guys each year can step right in and dominate.

WarriorofTime is online now  
Old
12-15-2012, 02:24 PM
  #144
darmitage
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
I don,t know people the London Knights sure looked good last night!

darmitage is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 05:01 PM
  #145
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
Not just physical. I think one of the biggest reasons the WJC can be exciting is because of the terrible plays the kids try to make occasionally that usually result in great scoring chances for the opposing team. Plays you would never see at even the minor pro level.
Yep, indeed mentally the adult pros would be much further along.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 02:04 AM
  #146
Prairie Habs
Registered User
 
Prairie Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,553
vCash: 500
Okay lets try and give the juniors a chance. Extend it to all counties and all junior age players. What is the best year and up to what league do you think they would stand a chance?

In 2010 they would have Stamkos (tied for Rocket that year), Doughty (nominated for Norris + Olympic gold), Schenn and Bogosian both also had 2 years in the league.

Something like:

Boedker - Stamkos - Eberle
Kane - Tavares - Duchene
Hall - Seguin - Boychuk
Filatov - Hodgson- Kassian

Pietrangelo - Doughty
Schenn - Bogosian
Myers - Karlsson
Carlson - Fowler
Hedman

Pickard
Campbell


So at that point I think all those Dmen were in the NHL and at least a few of the forwards. Obviously they would get slaughtered in net but I think the D would make up for it at least a bit. Sorry if I forgot anyone specific, I tried to go for the older guys who were already in the NHL or at least the guys who developed physically early like Kassian. Also I took way to many D because I forgot how those guys matched up at that particular time but its a solid pool to draw from.

Prairie Habs is online now  
Old
12-16-2012, 02:26 AM
  #147
Crede777
Deputized
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 7,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
So at that point I think all those Dmen were in the NHL and at least a few of the forwards. Obviously they would get slaughtered in net but I think the D would make up for it at least a bit. Sorry if I forgot anyone specific, I tried to go for the older guys who were already in the NHL or at least the guys who developed physically early like Kassian. Also I took way to many D because I forgot how those guys matched up at that particular time but its a solid pool to draw from.
That really defeats the purpose of the thread doesn't it?

The thread is about players who WEREN'T in the NHL. So take Junior (CHL mostly) players from 2010.

Crede777 is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 02:34 AM
  #148
Prairie Habs
Registered User
 
Prairie Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
That really defeats the purpose of the thread doesn't it?

The thread is about players who WEREN'T in the NHL. So take Junior (CHL mostly) players from 2010.
And the consensus of the thread was that they would get destroyed so I am looking for a situation where they would stand a chance. If you are only choosing from a pool of players that aren't good enough to be in the NHL I really don't see how they would be able to compete at anywhere near an NHL level, hence making it a little easier.

Prairie Habs is online now  
Old
12-16-2012, 03:01 AM
  #149
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
And the consensus of the thread was that they would get destroyed so I am looking for a situation where they would stand a chance. If you are only choosing from a pool of players that aren't good enough to be in the NHL I really don't see how they would be able to compete at anywhere near an NHL level, hence making it a little easier.

The only team that has a chance is the 2005 Canadian team with a few ringers from other teams.

However even throwing Ovechkin and Malkin on that team is going to be tough because nobody at that age is going to be able to defensively check NHL players. Then there is the goalie issue, very few junior goalies are going to stand up to that.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
12-16-2012, 08:58 PM
  #150
candyman82
Registered User
 
candyman82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 2,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmitage View Post
I don,t know people the London Knights sure looked good last night!
That's because they were playing another junior team...

candyman82 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.