HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

How would Canada U20 do against a bottom NHL team?

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2012, 08:02 PM
William H Bonney

vCash: 500
Very, very badly. But I'd still enjoy watching the game.

12-16-2012, 08:33 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
The list of players that didn't play against the UofA was like a who's who of Team Canada: Nugent-Hopkins, Scheifele and Huberdeau, Dougie Hamilton, Morgan Rielly, Scott Harrington, Strome, Philip Danault, Boone Jenner, Charles Hudon, Brett Ritchie, Xavier Ouellet. Basically everyone that was guaranteed a spot on the team (Ouellet was out due to injury).
University of Alberta also didn't have all of their players available.

Quote:
Among the players not dressed for the Golden Bears were assistant captain Sean Ringrose, who is fourth in conference scoring, and starters Alex Rodgers (F), James Dobrowolski (F) and defenceman Ian Barteaux.

http://www.bears.ualberta.ca/Teams/B...e.aspx?gid=901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
You can't draw any conclusions out the result when it comes to CIS teams.
Maybe, but if they were to even stand a chance against an NHL team, don't you think this should've been a win even without the top players? It's not like the rest of the lot are bums.

Old
12-16-2012, 10:12 PM
TheNorth
Better Call Saul

Canada still has to get past Russia, how about Russia vs a bottom NHL team

Old
12-16-2012, 10:41 PM
PensBeerGeek

Send a message via AIM to PensBeerGeek Send a message via Yahoo to PensBeerGeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiberianHockey View Post
. On the other hand NCAA select team after some training sessions would be able to beat any NFL team.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chica..._All-Star_Game

The game you described happened for over 30 years. The college all-stars won 9 of them, the last of which was in 1963, before the first Super Bowl and the modern era of the NFL.

The only sport that I think the game would be close is basketball, but the NCAA team would lose when the NBA team goes to a much deeper bench.

Old
12-16-2012, 10:55 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Maybe, but if they were to even stand a chance against an NHL team, don't you think this should've been a win even without the top players? It's not like the rest of the lot are bums.
I'd bet if the WJ team had some time to be a team, they'd demolish the CIS. But winning these games isn't the point exactly, its about figuring things out.

Old
12-16-2012, 10:56 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorth View Post
Canada still has to get past Russia, how about Russia vs a bottom NHL team
They'd lose too.

Old
12-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
I'd bet if the WJ team had some time to be a team, they'd demolish the CIS. But winning these games isn't the point exactly, its about figuring things out.
I don't know, hard to say, and I don't see any particular reason why that would be the case. They might win, but demolish? I don't think so. The guys playing for, say, the Golden Bears have all been great WHL players (think PPG pace, Koper even scored the Jets' first ever goal in their camp as their draftee), and they've only gotten stronger and more experienced since.

Old
12-17-2012, 10:36 AM
wings5

Canadian u-20 NTDP style team in the AHL

A bit of a different question, how good would an u-20 team of the best players from Canada fare in the AHL when they have been playing together for a season so had a chance to build up chemistry. Often time that is the deciding factor when u look for example at the US NTDP teams who ruitinly win international tournaments compared to quickly assembled teams.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
A bit of a different question, how good would an u-20 team of the best players from Canada fare in the AHL when they have been playing together for a season so had a chance to build up chemistry. Often time that is the deciding factor when u look for example at the US NTDP teams who ruitinly win international tournaments compared to quickly assembled teams.
It gets closer (particularly if we limit it to the "worst" AHL team in a given year), but realize that AHL rosters are still full of lots of players who were in the Juniors' shoes 2+ years previously (draft picks who may have also represented their country internationally). Between the best of the graduating juniors, and the best of the N.A. pros without full-time NHL jobs, I think even the best junior team (and their coach) would still have more than their work cut out for them facing an AHL team.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:23 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post

It gets closer (particularly if we limit it to the "worst" AHL team in a given year), but realize that AHL rosters are still full of lots of players who were in the Juniors' shoes 2+ years previously (draft picks who may have also represented their country internationally). Between the best of the graduating juniors, and the best of the N.A. pros without full-time NHL jobs, I think even the best junior team (and their coach) would still have more than their work cut out for them facing an AHL team.
I would think so too but arguably players like Huberdeau, Hamilton, Strome, Schefeile would be doing very well in the AHL right now and we know RNH can play at that level so I think they can do pretty well.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
I would think so too but arguably players like Huberdeau, Hamilton, Strome, Schefeile would be doing very well in the AHL right now and we know RNH can play at that level so I think they can do pretty well.
They're also the very best that the current juniors would have to go against the AHL, and we have to be honest and say that "doing very well" doesn't necessarily mean being the best player(s) there, and it's the depth, defense, and goaltending that's more likely to let the Juniors down more than anything else, anyway.

Old
12-17-2012, 02:25 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
They're also the very best that the current juniors would have to go against the AHL, and we have to be honest and say that "doing very well" doesn't necessarily mean being the best player(s) there, and it's the depth, defense, and goaltending that's more likely to let the Juniors down more than anything else, anyway.
True, defence and Goaltending would be the defining factor even though I feel the top 4 D could hold their own.

Old
12-17-2012, 02:59 PM
DarkReign

Not well at all, with more than a few going off the ice horizontally.

Old
12-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
True, defence and Goaltending would be the defining factor even though I feel the top 4 D could hold their own.
Hey, I can't exactly say you're wrong. I just think of it beyond just the "holding their own" part, and into "holding their own" for 60 minutes, which doesn't scale in favour of the Juniors with time, imo.

Old
12-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Zine

We can use Russia and the KHL as a good comparison considering Russia is on the same level as Canada, and quite a few Russian kids actually play in the KHL.

Russia WJC would get outright destroyed in a full effort game at KHL level.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:29 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
We can use Russia and the KHL as a good comparison considering Russia is on the same level as Canada, and quite a few Russian kids actually play in the KHL.

Russia WJC would get outright destroyed in a full effort game at KHL level.
Agreed. Don't know why this thread won't die.

But, but, but...they are the best juniors!!!!!

They are boys, not men people...huge difference.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:33 PM

could the 2013 WJR team beat the worst NHL team now? absolutely not..

could the 2013 WJR beat the worst NHL team 5 years from now? I would think so

Old
12-17-2012, 10:16 PM
pavelich

I've watched a lot of the U.S. NTDP U17s this year vs USHL competition. USHL players are age 16 to 20.

It's amazing how the U17s can often compete skill-wise but are always physically overmatched. They get outshot say 50-15 but only lose 6-4 because when they get chances they can score. They also have crazy periods where they get pressured and just fall apart. Giving up 3 goals in 31 seconds last week vs Fargo was the most recent example.

I think that's exactly the kind of thing that would happen to any junior team against NHL'ers.

Old
12-17-2012, 10:23 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmitage View Post
I think Team Canada would beat the last place and bottom NHL teams and a lot don,t agree with me I would like to get some views on this?
They would get crushed, now as we know in a one game scenario they could pull of something miraculous with a hot goalie and a lucky night. Chances are though it would be ugly and if you asked them to play any kind of series embarrassing for large stretches.

Even if you combined all the U20 teams from each nation it would be a big struggle. Plus in this mythical game you have to think the pros would be very motivated to make sure they didn't lose and it wasn't close.

Old
12-18-2012, 04:49 AM
darmitage

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
not sure if I asked this or not but what league is CIS?

Last edited by darmitage: 12-18-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Old
12-18-2012, 09:03 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Yeah, I think they might put up a decent fight but stand a very small chance of actually winning.

12-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmitage View Post
not sure if I asked this or not but what league is CIS?
It's the league Canadian universities play in.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelich View Post
I've watched a lot of the U.S. NTDP U17s this year vs USHL competition. USHL players are age 16 to 20.

It's amazing how the U17s can often compete skill-wise but are always physically overmatched. They get outshot say 50-15 but only lose 6-4 because when they get chances they can score. They also have crazy periods where they get pressured and just fall apart. Giving up 3 goals in 31 seconds last week vs Fargo was the most recent example.

I think that's exactly the kind of thing that would happen to any junior team against NHL'ers.
Somewhat similar situation is watching the U-18s play NCAA teams. The U-18s are very skilled and do win a few games against the big schools, (although obviously the NCAA teams often look at these games as exhibitions and aren't going 100%). Physically they are just outmatched and stay on the perimeter most of the game.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:01 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
4-0 loss.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Qrispy

They could probably beat bottom AHL teams and maybe have a chance against mid-level ones but that's about it. No way in hell would they beat an NHL team.

Closed Thread