Old
12-06-2012, 11:17 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Goodell floats novel idea for replacing kickoffs

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...cing-kickoffs/

Quote:
Sean Gregory of TIME writes that one of the options being considered for replacing kickoffs entails giving the ball to the team that would have been kicking off at its own 30, automatically facing a fourth down and 15 yards to go. The team can then choose to punt or go for it, via fake punt or otherwise.

In other words, the kickoff would be replaced with the punt, and the onside kick would be replaced with a fourth-down conversion roughly half the distance of Ray Rice’s recent catch-and-run.

The idea would be to remove completely the high-speed, open-field collisions between large men who dip their heads instinctively at impact and place extra pressure on the C3-C4 area of the spine. While other injuries would be possible during the punt play that replaces the kickoff, the risk of catastrophic injury would be reduced.
This is just nonsense

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

vCash: 500
It took me a minute to figure out just what exactly was going on, but I actually like this idea.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:30 AM
RayP

While it's a whacky idea, I like it better than kicking off from the 35.... Although I don't think you need to replace the onside kick. Has anyone really suffered a spine injury from one?

Only change I would make is have them start from the 25, or maybe even the 20. The 30 seems a bit generous for a professional football team.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:54 AM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
While it's a whacky idea, I like it better than kicking off from the 35.... Although I don't think you need to replace the onside kick. Has anyone really suffered a spine injury from one?

Only change I would make is have them start from the 25, or maybe even the 20. The 30 seems a bit generous for a professional football team.
Let's say the average punt in the NFL is ~45 yards. From the 30, that puts teams receiving the punt at their own 25, which is probably about average for a regular kickoff (considering all of the touchbacks start at the 20, and the handful that get past the 20 or are bigger returns).

Pushing them back further gives a bigger advantage to the defending (or punt receiving team) and will make starting field position better. I would even argue starting them from the 35 in hopes of getting it closer to that 20 yard mark from touchbacks.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:04 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Also, is there statistical proof that Punt Returns don't lead to concussions? I see a ton injuries happen after punt returns as well...

Old
12-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Ser Woof
0b11111011000

This is disgusting.

I would possibly stop watching NFL ball if this happened. What a joke... leave the kickoff alone FFS.

Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:15 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

dear Roger Gooddell, just put flags on everyone and be done with it.
you know you want to do it.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Cullksinikers

Leave the game the **** alone.

That is all.

Cullksinikers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Trap Jesus

Moving the kickoff up to the 35 yard line was stupid enough. This idea would just be horrible.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:01 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

im all for player safety, but its football.
its a physical violent sport. Thats why its awesome.
but Goodell is slowly looking to ruin all that.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:12 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Predictable whining from everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
It took me a minute to figure out just what exactly was going on, but I actually like this idea.
I don't hate it either. Would be interesting to see how this affects late game situations. I figure potent offensive teams who are behind by two scores late would be able to better attempt a comeback. Down 10 with :45 seconds left and no timeouts on the 5? It's not a garbage time TD anymore as a quick score and you're not looking at a miracle onside kick to salvage something. :40 to go ~30-35 yards is pretty doable.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:13 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Goodell isn't looking to ruin anything. Goodell is looking out for the league. The league is getting sued up the ass for these guys who are messed up after their careers due to concussions.

If the NFL continues down the road its on, who knows? Maybe years from now there won't be football anymore.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:15 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post

I don't hate it either. Would be interesting to see how this affects late game situations. I figure potent offensive teams who are behind by two scores late would be able to better attempt a comeback. Down 10 with :45 seconds left and no timeouts on the 5? It's not a garbage time TD anymore as a quick score and you're not looking at a miracle onside kick to salvage something. :40 to go ~30-35 yards is pretty doable.
The intriguing thing about it is it could potentially quickly tire out a defense if a team becomes awesome at converting the 4th and 15. IMO, it'd become one of the most important things to practice.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:22 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post

Hell, you have a free Hail Mary shot on that down if you need it.

I don't hate it, but I don't really like it either. Imagine a punt with a roughing the punter penalty...automatic first down. And while there are injuries on kick returns...I bet it's still a minority of returns, especially with all the touchbacks. Most kick returns don't hurt anyone.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Its certainly novel. I don't think it would work, but I'd like to see it in action.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

OT: NFL possibly eliminating kickoffs

Clicky clicky

Quote:
The controversial idea, which Goodell attributed to Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano, would see a team presented with a fourth down option rather than a kick off. Instead, the kicking team would have the choice of punting from its own 30 yard line or attempting a first down conversion on fourth and 15.

After concussion studies recently linked kickoff collisions to head trauma across the NFL, the league elected to move up kickoffs from the five yards to the 35 yard line, reducing the number of returns every season in addition to injuries
Thought this could make for an interesting debate as hockey fans continually voice their displeasure about rule changes designed to reduce injuries. Good to know that it isn't just hockey that's looking at these types of changes - we shouldn't feel so alone anymore.

Buck Aki Berg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:50 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Better idea..

After a score, the opponent gets the ball at the 20. There. Eliminate the kicking game outside of punts and FGs entirely. It simplifies the game, eliminates the apparent concussion problem from returns.

Unfortunately, this puts Hester of a job.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:51 PM
TOML

imo In the name of saftey they should reduce the speed involved in all sports so players are more likely to be injured playing checkers.

Sarcastiball, anyone?

TOML

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:59 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post

Unfortunately, this puts Hester of a job.
Good, sick of that cap hit for doing nothing.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:04 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 2525
No offense, but this is a ridiculous idea. Wouldn't it take a huge amount away from the field position aspect of the game?

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Rubber Biscuit

So you score a touchdown, kick the extra point and then can line up to punt or complete a 15 yard play?

Rubber Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:06 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 2525
No thanks.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
Clicky clicky

Thought this could make for an interesting debate as hockey fans continually voice their displeasure about rule changes designed to reduce injuries. Good to know that it isn't just hockey that's looking at these types of changes - we shouldn't feel so alone anymore.
18 years ago, the NFL was suffering from a decline in scoring. They responded by moving the kickoffs from the 35 to the 30, which would encourage kickoff returns and therefore increase offense. At the same time, they allowed two-point conversions for the first time in NFL history, which added another dimension to the game.

Part of the reason that the NFL has continued to grow and be strong across the board is because the powers-that-be never look at the game as a finished product. This attitude extends all the way back into the early 1930s, when a bland and plodding product paled in comparison to the open college game, continued into the 1950s when the passing game really opened up, into the 1970s when the defenses began to choke the game, and up through today. The opposite end is MLB, which regards everything as flawless and yet continues to lose ground year by year.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:08 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I don't see how this makes any sense. Kickoffs have been a part of the game since it's beginning. They could find other ways to prevents head injuries without getting rid of them completely.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Taking away kickoff is absurd ,, Sorry but it is going to make NFL a bit of a joke (Especially if this is how it ends up)

This will also put alot of guys out of NFL

Not just returnmen but guys who only have roles as gunnars/etc on special teams

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote