Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

Euro 2020 to be Hosted Over Several Countries

Old
04-19-2013, 03:39 PM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobo View Post
Are there any requirements? For example: is it allowed for a stadium to have an athletics track?
running track doesn't matter

Only requirements are capacity and limit of one stadium per country. The minimum capacity is 50,000, but if a city wants to host the semi and final (both semi's and final will be played in same city) the minimum requirement is 70,000 for that. UEFA will consider having two stadiums with a capacity of smaller than 50,000 but they can only host group stage matches (at the end I doubt this will even happen)

Here are all the cities who have bid or will bid:
Austria: Vienna (Ernst Happel)
Azerbaijan: Baku (a newly contructed 65,000 seater stadium)
Belgium: Brussels (King Baodouin Stadium)
Bulgaria: Sofia (newly constructed stadium prosposed)
Denmark: Copenhagen (Parken)
England: London (Wembley)
Finland: Helsinki (Olympic Stadium)
France: Saint-Denis (Stade de France)
Georgia: Tbilisi (Dinamo Arena)
Germany: Berlin (Olympia Stadium), Munich (Allianz Arena), Dortmund (Signal Iduna Park), Stuttgart (Mercedes Benz Arena)...only one will be chosen
Greece: Athens (Olympic Stadium)
Ireland: Dublin (Aviva Stadium)
Italy: Milan (San Siro) or Rome (Olimpico)
Netherlands: Amsterdam (Amsterdam Arena) or Rotterdam (newly contructed stadium proposed)
Norway: Oslo (Ullevaal)
Poland: Warsaw (National Stadium)
Portugal: Lisbon (Estadio da Luz)
Romania: Bucharest (National Arena)
Scotland: Glasgow (Hampden Park)
Russia: Moscow (Luzhniki)
Serbia: Belgrade (newly contructed stadium proposed)
Spain: Madrid (Bernebeu)
Sweden: Stockholm (Friends Arena)
Turkey: Istabul (Olympic Stadium or Turk Telekom Arena)
Ukraine: Kiev (Olympic Stadium) or Donetsk (Donbass Arena)
Wales: Cardiff (Millenium Stadium)

There are probably more interested but I don't see any realistic options. Croatia have expressed interest but at this moment there isn't a suitable stadium to host these matches unless a new stadium is constructed which is unlikely

I sense Wembley will get the semi and the final, which is why other cities in England won't bother bidding. Only surprise so far is Barcelona not interested

I'm pretty sure every region will be represented as well, wouldn't surprise me to see UEFA give Baku or Tbilisi a chance

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:41 AM
HajdukSplit

32 countries have applied, only 13 will be chosen, here is now the official list of the cities who applied

1. Armenia (Yerevan)
2. Azerbaijan (Baku)
3. Belarus (Minsk)
4. Belgium (Brussels)
5. Bulgaria (Sofia)
6. Croatia (Zagreb)
7. Czech Republic (Prague)
8. Denmark (Copenhagen)
9. England (London)
10. Finland (Helsinki)
11. France (Lyon)
12. Germany (Munich)
13. Greece (Athens)
14. Hungary (Budapest)
15. Israel (Jerusalem)
16. Italy (Rome or Milan)
17. Kazakhstan (Astana)
18. Macedonia (Skopje)
19. Netherlands (Amsterdam)
20. Poland (Warsaw)
21. Portugal (Lisbon or Porto)
22. Republic of Ireland (Dublin)
23. Romania (Bucharest)
24. Russia (St. Petersburg)
25. Scotland (Glasgow)
26. Serbia (Belgrade)
27. Spain (Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao or Valencia)
28. Sweden (Solna)
29. Switzerland (Basel)
30. Turkey (Istanbul)
31. Ukraine (Kiev or Donetsk)
32. Wales (Cardiff)

Istanbul is the favorite to get the semifinals/finals package after their failed bid for the 2020 Olympics after the initial Euro 2020 bid was supposed to go to Turkey apparently

The 13 cities will be named a year from now, in September 2014

Old
09-20-2013, 08:53 AM
tobo

First match should be played in Brussels, the centre of Europe.

tobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:56 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobo View Post
First match should be played in Brussels, the centre of Europe.
"you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.." as a certain British populist MEP would say...

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:47 AM
tobo

Farage and his UKIP are a bunch of fools. Leaving the common market would prove to be a disaster for the UK. The introduction of tariffs and restrictions on UK goods would hurt British companies more than it would do the rest of the Union. Britain could do the same and implement tariffs on EU goods, but that wouldn't sit well with the general population who would see their cost of living rise dramatically. Then there's the fact that Britain would cease to have influence in EU decision making. Policies that might harm British interests could be voted without London being able to do anything about it. Anyway, if a majority of the Brits want out, let 'em go. This is still a democracy after all.

Back on topic: after looking at the list more carefully,I have my doubts with several possible destinations. I wouldn't go near dictatorships like Belarus, Kazachstan or Azerbaijan. Then there's Jerusalem. IMO it would be very unwise to award Israel the right to host several matches.

tobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 10:02 AM
Alklha

They'll probably lean heavily towards the usual suspects, which is a little disappointing.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 10:41 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Brussels isn't the center of Europe, it's the center of the world's most useless bureaucracy. It's only the seat of the EU's administration because it's roughly where the German and French troops would usually meet.

I think Germany will get a group stage package but will opt out of any later stages because Germany wants to host a proper Euro soon thereafter.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 12:12 PM
Ceremony
smeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

vCash: 0
Hampden won't be chosen, there aren't enough executive boxes.

09-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

This is such a terrible idea. I'm assuming nobody will be playing at home and there'll be little interest for some people to come out and watch these games if their team isn't in it. And if teams are playing at home in the group stages, total disadvantage to the opposing team.

Edonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Hampden won't be chosen, there aren't enough executive boxes.
Neither will Helsinki, even after renovation (which is basically just adding more roof to stands).

Old
09-20-2013, 01:27 PM
HajdukSplit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edonator View Post
This is such a terrible idea. I'm assuming nobody will be playing at home and there'll be little interest for some people to come out and watch these games if their team isn't in it. And if teams are playing at home in the group stages, total disadvantage to the opposing team.
Which is why I find Croatia's bid so funny and how excited Suker is about it. Basically the government has no money and there is no need for a 50K stadium yet Suker wants it so bad to make himself look good. Croatian fans sometimes don't even want to watch their own team, what happens if they get a Norway vs. Romania group stage match

Old
09-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

well yeah that is why this is utterly ridiculous

1 or 2 countries max is ok with me, I can even see 4 countries, with each group being headed by the host...but 13? wtf...that makes no sense

mark my words it will be a disaster, nobody in Madrid would watch Slovenia vs Ukraine if they were to make it...and inversely if Spain play in Madrid that's totally not fair

also, if Slovenia plays in Madrid, and their next match is in St.Petersburg, that's just crapping all over the fans, logistical nightmare..

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:55 PM
Kovacic
Talbot + Cap Space

vCash: 815
Was not a fan of Poland splitting games last Euro, 13 countries is just ridiculous.

Kovacic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 01:58 AM
Evilo

Well I'm a big fan.

Nobody whined when two teams met in Poland that weren't Poland.
Why would there be nobody now?
Obviously, teams will play in a certain zone and not across Europe.

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 03:59 AM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Well I'm a big fan.

Obviously, teams will play in a certain zone and not across Europe.
The tournament loses its luster if it's spread around like a cheap *****.

The need to have the WC/Euro's in different places is really annoying. Give it to Germany, give it to France, give it to England, Spain, etc. Giving it to smaller countries is cool and all, but the majority of Europe can't build new stadiums and afford to host tournaments. Ditto with the rest of the world.

Next thing you know, they'll start hosting the Euro's every 2 years to get more $$. I'm shocked UEFA haven't done it yet.

Edonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 05:47 AM
Evilo

Most countries can't afford to host alone. 13 countries means it's a shared pleasure.

Definately a good thing IMO.

Old
09-21-2013, 06:09 AM
AlanHUK

as long as it only happens every so often the shared thing is a fine idea, gives a lot of countries the chance to have games they wouldn't normally see, but in general I like the idea of one country hosting.

AlanHUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 06:50 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Most countries can't afford to host alone. 13 countries means it's a shared pleasure.

Definately a good thing IMO.
It's not good for the fans if the games are spread all over Europe. Very hard to plan your football vacation around that. Splitting it between 2-3 neighboring countries is fine.

Last edited by Jussi: 09-21-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old
09-21-2013, 06:54 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
I remember that I argued the benefits of this set-up lengthily at a different forum, not sure if I did the same thing here.

It's quite frankly no longer viable to demand that a single country to build a dozen or so 40.000 capacity stadiums to host a tournament like this, and the problem with white elephants persists even with joint bids. This set-up that mostly makes use of existing stadiums is much more reasonable financially and more in tune with the current economical climate in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
It's not good for the fans if the games are spread all over Europe. Very hard to plan your football vacation around that.
And it's not good for people in general to put the entire financial burden of hosting on a single nation.

Fans being inconvenienced is a small price to pay if it means preventing disasters like Portugal or South Africa from happening again.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 07:19 AM
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar

As essentially an outsider living in Europe (I have Scottish heritage, but the chances of Scotland participating in a championships at the moment is about as good as Winnipeg winning the Stanley Cup) I would go to the Nou Camp if Italy was playing Germany there, even if just to experience it.

Not sure how many would do the same, but I am sure the big name countries would still pack out stadiums no matter where the game is.

TheStinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 07:46 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
I remember that I argued the benefits of this set-up lengthily at a different forum, not sure if I did the same thing here.

It's quite frankly no longer viable to demand that a single country to build a dozen or so 40.000 capacity stadiums to host a tournament like this, and the problem with white elephants persists even with joint bids. This set-up that mostly makes use of existing stadiums is much more reasonable financially and more in tune with the current economical climate in Europe.

And it's not good for people in general to put the entire financial burden of hosting on a single nation.

Fans being inconvenienced is a small price to pay if it means preventing disasters like Portugal or South Africa from happening again.
Like I said, hosting shared between 2-3 neighboring countries is just fine. It limits the travel while keeping the cost reasonable.

Old
09-21-2013, 08:39 AM
HajdukSplit

Quote:
Well I'm a big fan.

The big difference is the fans of those teams didn't have to travel every 2-3 days to another country.

I'm sure UEFA won't make a team go to the extreme but it will be very difficult for fans to one matchday be in London then the next in Milan, at least at Euro 2012 you could have a base location and other than the Ukraine venues, the stadiums were close

Old
09-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Evilo

If you travel from Barcelona to Lyon, it's no big deal. Especially since teams play every 4 days usually.

Old
09-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
If you travel from Barcelona to Lyon, it's no big deal. Especially since teams play every 4 days usually.
Try going from Helsinki to Barcelona to Milan to London to Vienna... What football wants to(not to mention can afford to) travel that much in ~two weeks?

Old
09-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Evilo

Because obviously one team would travel so much...
Of course one group will play say south west Europe, another north west Europe, another east south Europe, etc...

It's so obvious...