HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Internet Service Provider

Old
12-06-2012, 10:28 AM
BleedOil83

vCash: 500
Edmonton Internet Service Provider

Need some quick local input on your ISP.

I'm about to get a new townhouse in Edmonton hooked up with internet and TV. Here are my needs:

- Internet use will include streaming Netflix and general use. I do not need speeds/caps that can cover gaming or enormous and frequent torrenting/etc
- I will want standard HD channels (major networks like NBC/CBS/TSN/SN/CBC) and at this point will be looking to keep things fairly basic in terms of channel depth (ala no HBO, etc), however I would like that to be an easy option in the future
- I will need two units overall and will want at least one of those to have a PVR
- I have no need whatsoever for a land line telephone bundled in

Price is by far the #1 priority. Any and all feedback is appreciated - thank you!

BleedOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOil83 View Post
Need some quick local input on your ISP.

I'm about to get a new townhouse in Edmonton hooked up with internet and TV. Here are my needs:

- Internet use will include streaming Netflix and general use. I do not need speeds/caps that can cover gaming or enormous and frequent torrenting/etc
- I will want standard HD channels (major networks like NBC/CBS/TSN/SN/CBC) and at this point will be looking to keep things fairly basic in terms of channel depth (ala no HBO, etc), however I would like that to be an easy option in the future
- I will need two units overall and will want at least one of those to have a PVR
- I have no need whatsoever for a land line telephone bundled in

Price is by far the #1 priority. Any and all feedback is appreciated - thank you!
Shaw is the way to go. Quality may be the same but you wont be stuck with a contract losing the flexibility to move to another service.

'personal TV' package is $20 (20 HD channels) and 20Mbps (200GB\mo) internet is $30...

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Delorean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Shaw is the way to go. Quality may be the same but you wont be stuck with a contract losing the flexibility to move to another service.

'personal TV' package is $20 (20 HD channels) and 20Mbps (200GB\mo) internet is $30...
I pay about $77/month for an Internet/TV bundle from Shaw, but you can get roughly the same package for only $40/month for the first 6 months.

Delorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
I think you will find these threads helpful

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1091301
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1247255
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=967759
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=700902
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=654777

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:57 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I'm happy with Shaw's internet speeds, far faster than Telus for the same price IMHO.

If they are eventually going to move to let us order individual TV channels, I'm fine with that too.

I get the Canadian networks over the air, and I would just order TSN, Sportsnet and the Score and I'd be set.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:04 PM
BleedOil83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorean View Post
I pay about $77/month for an Internet/TV bundle from Shaw, but you can get roughly the same package for only $40/month for the first 6 months.
What specific services are you on? The two I was looking at were the basic TV and the second internet which worked out to around $90/month.

Their website right now shows the basic TV for $35 and base internet for $50. Inquiring about the bundle price but that sounds about right, $8 off.

Old
12-06-2012, 02:06 PM
BleedOil83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post

This is only for the first 6 months but still a good price afterwards. The big price difference becomes purchasing hardware but Telus makes you pay after the 3 year contract is over anyways so if you plan to stick with Shaw beyond that, it justifies it - quality of product alone (which Shaw is clearly winning in my research).

Old
12-06-2012, 02:09 PM
BleedOil83

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I'm happy with Shaw's internet speeds, far faster than Telus for the same price IMHO.

If they are eventually going to move to let us order individual TV channels, I'm fine with that too.

I get the Canadian networks over the air, and I would just order TSN, Sportsnet and the Score and I'd be set.
The TV channel selection process is one thing where Telus wins going away. My biggest problem is that Shaw does not even currently have any Canadian timeshift HD channels - a big deal when you're a diehard NFL fan. Their timeshift package is only $5 to Telus's $9 but only offers 20 total channels, 4 of which are HD. Telus offers 32, 16 of which are HD.

Another aggravating thing as a sports fan is that TSN2, NFL Network, and NHL Network are spread across 2 sports add ons of $10 each. You can buy NFL/NHL separately for $2.95 each or $3.95 for the two but TSN2 only comes in a package so to get all three I'm paying $13.95. Not exactly a tipping point but one battle Telus wins.

Old
12-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Delorean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOil83 View Post
What specific services are you on? The two I was looking at were the basic TV and the second internet which worked out to around $90/month.

Their website right now shows the basic TV for $35 and base internet for $50. Inquiring about the bundle price but that sounds about right, $8 off.
Internet is High Speed 10 but that $40/month package for 6 months is with High Speed 20. I'm not sure what the pricing is after that though. TV is just basic Personal TV with no extras, but it includes about 9 HD channels from 200-209, I think.

Hope that helps!

Delorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:07 AM
calvinguy

I personally prefer Telus because they don't enforce their download limits. You can essentially download as much as you want every month without any consequences. When I was with Shaw, they would constantly phone me and tell me I was going over their limit.

Otherwise they are pretty even. A lot of it also depends on where you live. Some areas just have poor services for that particular provider.

calvinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinguy View Post
I personally prefer Telus because they don't enforce their download limits. You can essentially download as much as you want every month without any consequences. When I was with Shaw, they would constantly phone me and tell me I was going over their limit.

Otherwise they are pretty even. A lot of it also depends on where you live. Some areas just have poor services for that particular provider.
Its funny im total opposite. Everyone I know has Shaw and has never had a problem with torrents, online gaming or netflix.

Multiple of my friends were with telus and were getting phoned and having letters sent threatening them about torrents. They both switched to Shaw after me and my friends told them there is no problems. That was like a year ago and they have never had a problem with shaw and they probably torrent in a week what i DO IN A YEAR

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:18 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinguy View Post

If telus is going to keep not enforcing them, why are they dropping their limits in Feb? Frankly living under a duopoly is lame. Telus and Shaw both suck in different ways. I am currently switching back to shaw because if telus is going to have the same download limits, I may as well get the faster speeds.

It sure would be nice if we had a government that looked out for its citizens. I think they should nationalize the "last mile" and allow for some real competition in the marketplace. As it stands now, there is no way for a newcomer to break into the market because the infrastructure setup costs are way too high. Pipe dream though. The telcom lobbyists would never allow it. They'd start spouting off about Communism or something.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:42 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Its funny im total opposite. Everyone I know has Shaw and has never had a problem with torrents, online gaming or netflix.

Multiple of my friends were with telus and were getting phoned and having letters sent threatening them about torrents. They both switched to Shaw after me and my friends told them there is no problems. That was like a year ago and they have never had a problem with shaw and they probably torrent in a week what i DO IN A YEAR
I haven't had any issue with Shaw in the last 7 or 8 years but when I was in college they laid down the law on us a few times. Got phoned constantly, had my internet turned off for 48 hours twice, and one of my roommates received a cease and desist letter from Universal Studios listing about 15 movies he had torrented recently.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote