HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Hulking Bigos becoming more than just a hitman

Old
12-04-2012, 02:35 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Hulking Bigos becoming more than just a hitman

After four seasons of playing college hockey for the Merrimack Warriors, Kyle Bigos has transformed into one of the most intimidating players in Hockey East.

The 6'5” senior defenseman has become a defensive catalyst to the Merrimack program because of his ability to throw his body around.

“I don’t know if I have seen a physical shoulder-to-shoulder check that Kyle hasn’t won,” Merrimack coach Mark Dennehy said.  “He just demolishes people, and I have run out of ink to [mark] down the amount of players he has left laying on the ice. I am pretty sure I wouldn’t want to go into the corner and get a puck from him.”

Bigos’ style of play sometimes changes the way opposing forwards will take the puck into the zone.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Game 8

vCash: 50
Good article, thank you!

Game 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Roof Daddy

Almost forgot about this guy. I remember he was deemed a project in 09 when we drafted him, with foot speed being a huge question mark. Glad to see his development is coming along because we need some bruisers on the back end. If he developed into the next McQuaid I'd be extremely pleased.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Senor Catface

I don't mean Bigos in particular, but we really need someone like Bigos to turn out into a good serviceable player. It's picks like this that really add to a team later on. Keith being a 5.5 D on here, and Letang being a third round pick both spring to mind.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:25 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
I don't mean Bigos in particular, but we really need someone like Bigos to turn out into a good serviceable player. It's picks like this that really add to a team later on. Keith being a 5.5 D on here, and Letang being a third round pick both spring to mind.
Yup. Even if it was just to replace Sutton it would be a huge boost.

RipsADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

With Teubert not seeming to progress as quickly as some would like, hopefully either Teubert picks it up or Bigos ends up being that intimidating presence on the blueline for us. Bigos is bigger, not sure which guy is more mobile as I haven't seen Bigos, but we sure could use that one guy out there that scares the hell out of the opposition.

12-05-2012, 09:39 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

i would assume if he is laying out huge hits that his skating has imrpoved, part of being able to lay out guys is being able to get yoursefl in a position to do so. that being said i have never seen bigos play but it is good to hear him progressing.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Calgary Oilers

I hope he can become a Greene type of dman. We need one or two of those in our top 6.

Calgary Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

I'm cheering for Bigos to make it. It sounds like the guy can play hockey, first and foremost. Might have to spend a bit of time in the AHL, but having a huge defenceman who can intimidate and fight is just what the doctor ordered. We have a number of D-men with size, but none of them are known to be physical. Bigos is big but it sounds like he uses that size the way everyone wants big guys to do.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Oilers View Post
I hope he can become a Greene type of dman. We need one or two of those in our top 6.
I think people forget what a mess Greene was coming out of college. He was mean yes, but he was a real hot mess in his own zone for quite some time. He did not become that player over night.

Something else that is interesting if I remember right when Greene came out of college he was a year older than Teubert is now. I would say at this point Teubert plays a more steady, controlled game in his own defensively than Greene did coming in to pro at an older age. I think people need to still show a little patience with Teubert. Just thought I would mention that as they are pretty similar players.

Hopefully Bigos can come out and develop well in the minors and become yet another option for us in this style of defender.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:29 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I think people forget what a mess Greene was coming out of college. He was mean yes, but he was a real hot mess in his own zone for quite some time. He did not become that player over night.

Something else that is interesting if I remember right when Greene came out of college he was a year older than Teubert is now. I would say at this point Teubert plays a more steady, controlled game in his own defensively than Greene did coming in to pro at an older age. I think people need to still show a little patience with Teubert. Just thought I would mention that as they are pretty similar players.

Hopefully Bigos can come out and develop well in the minors and become yet another option for us in this style of defender.
Of course not, he became that guy once we dealt him to LA.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Peckham better return to form. Lots of youngsters here that look promising.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Joseppi

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Of course not, he became that guy once we dealt him to LA.
He was starting to turn the corner with us

We just never let him finish

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 07:40 PM
rockinghockey

Has anyone seen Biggios play, how is his mobility and skating, does he get beat wide?

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:05 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Really rooting for this guy. Hulking, nasty, yet effective defensive defensemen aren't the easiest thing to obtain.

If he can carve out a Sutton type career on the bottom pairing with the team, it will be a major win for the organization.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:32 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseppi View Post
He was starting to turn the corner with us

We just never let him finish
Yup. He had a rough few years but you could see he was putting it all together. And then we traded him and Stoll for Vis who asked for a trade which netted us...Whitney. Ewwwww.

Whitney for Greene, I wonder how long Deano stays on the line?

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 02:32 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Yup. He had a rough few years but you could see he was putting it all together. And then we traded him and Stoll for Vis who asked for a trade which netted us...Whitney. Ewwwww.

Whitney for Greene, I wonder how long Deano stays on the line?
Is it too late to ask for Greene and Stoll back? I actually really liked them both, I also really liked Visnovsky. Too bad he didn't work out. Greene and Stoll are exactly what this team needs right now. I'd love to see either of those guys sign in Edmonton some day, maybe take care of that unfinished business from 2006.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:18 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Has Bigos been signed to an ELC by the Oil? If not, will he return to the draft this spring?

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:19 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
Is it too late to ask for Greene and Stoll back? I actually really liked them both, I also really liked Visnovsky. Too bad he didn't work out. Greene and Stoll are exactly what this team needs right now. I'd love to see either of those guys sign in Edmonton some day, maybe take care of that unfinished business from 2006.
Stoll would be an excellent #3 center that could move into the #2 spot in a pinch. Would love to have him back.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:31 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
Has Bigos been signed to an ELC by the Oil? If not, will he return to the draft this spring?
You can't sign guys in college to a deal, once you do they are no longer eligible for college hockey.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
I can't remember where I saw it, but there was an article about that. After Schultz had signed with us. Because theoretically Bigos could do the same thing. But he shot that down pretty quick and said he has every intention of signing with the Oilers when he's done college.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
I can't remember where I saw it, but there was an article about that. After Schultz had signed with us. Because theoretically Bigos could do the same thing. But he shot that down pretty quick and said he has every intention of signing with the Oilers when he's done college.
Not in the same way as Schultz. The Schultz method only works if a player is drafted, spends an extra year in junior A or whatever and then goes to NCAA. Bigos is Oiler property until August 15 2013.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:44 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Stoll would be an excellent #3 center that could move into the #2 spot in a pinch. Would love to have him back.
I still think we should make a play for Stoll and Greene. What I really want back from Stoll on top of what he does at the center position is a forward to play the point and give us that slap shot option back. With the lack offensive d-men on this club, Stoll really would look nice back there.