HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

So did Tim Thomas make a smart move?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-14-2012, 10:22 PM
  #1
illpucks
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,156
vCash: 500
So did Tim Thomas make a smart move?

He was catching a lot of criticism here when he decided to take a year off. But now that everyone is taking a year off (so far) would you say that he made a smart move?

illpucks is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:26 PM
  #2
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
It's not a "Smart Move", but it is one that means nothing right now.

RogerRoeper* is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:27 PM
  #3
HavlatMach9
Registered User
 
HavlatMach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,595
vCash: 500
From his point of view, whether a season is played or not is irrelevant. He is doing what he was going to do taking the year off.

HavlatMach9 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:29 PM
  #4
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by illpucks View Post
He was catching a lot of criticism here when he decided to take a year off. But now that everyone is taking a year off (so far) would you say that he made a smart move?
Lets put our thinking caps on for a bit.

If he kept his mouth shut, he would have had a year off and everyone would still love him.

But instead he blabbed and got everyone to hate him.

Now, was it a smart move or not?

Halpysback is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:35 PM
  #5
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Lets put our thinking caps on for a bit.

If he kept his mouth shut, he would have had a year off and everyone would still love him.

But instead he blabbed and got everyone to hate him.

Now, was it a smart move or not?
His political comments have more to do with people hating jim imo.

RogerRoeper* is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:37 PM
  #6
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns
 
WarriorOfGandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,731
vCash: 142
Thomas = lockout
Puck = Thomas
Sedin = the hopes and dreams of NHL fans everywhere

WarriorOfGandhi is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:46 PM
  #7
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,221
vCash: 500
He could have just kept his mouth shut and still not played. Now people just think he's an idiot/headcase.

OneSharpMarble is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:48 PM
  #8
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,032
vCash: 500
He can predict the future

Christian Litscher is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:56 PM
  #9
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
His political comments have more to do with people hating jim imo.
The perception that he screwed his team with the over 35 contract that stayed on the books capwise no matter what played a pretty big part in establishing him as a ******

Halpysback is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 10:59 PM
  #10
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,667
vCash: 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by illpucks View Post
He was catching a lot of criticism here when he decided to take a year off. But now that everyone is taking a year off (so far) would you say that he made a smart move?
No.. it's not a smart move since it made no difference. He was planning on taking a year off, even if there's no lockout. That's not a smart move.

__________________
Kane One is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 11:03 PM
  #11
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal
 
Inkling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,319
vCash: 500
If he was smart he would have slipped on the ice and injured himself, then he'd still be getting paid.

Inkling is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 11:14 PM
  #12
skywarp75
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
The perception that he screwed his team with the over 35 contract that stayed on the books capwise no matter what played a pretty big part in establishing him as a ******
yes I see this as selfishly and purposely hurting his teammates. I dont know how he could even face any of them after that. and yes I know he's a stanley cup hero.

skywarp75 is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 11:37 PM
  #13
Nose Face Killah
It's Tuukka Time
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Methuen, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,545
vCash: 500
What exactly did Thomas say?

Nose Face Killah is offline  
Old
12-14-2012, 11:47 PM
  #14
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,404
vCash: 500
Honestly I can see him not coming back at all, and retiring for good. Not saying it will happen, but it's something that wouldn't surprise me.

Bleedred is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 02:28 AM
  #15
MarshmontMcSlewfoot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,806
vCash: 500
He helped the Bruins.

Now the team can move the best goalie in franchise history with no fan backlash. ANd Rask, Khudobin, and Svedberg is a ton of competition in the crease there really isn't much room for Tim deserved or not.


He probably made one comment too many though (chik fil a) for his trade value to be nice and high when we come back.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 02:29 AM
  #16
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward
 
Do Make Say Think's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16,946
vCash: 256
I don't know

Obama won did he not?

Do Make Say Think is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 02:35 AM
  #17
Puckstop40
Registered Avs Fan
 
Puckstop40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJD View Post
What exactly did Thomas say?
He doesn't like the government and stood on the Chick-fil-a owners side of that whole debacle, so now everyone hates him because his political opinion is different from theirs....

Puckstop40 is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 02:49 AM
  #18
Kesler is Bestler
Registered User
 
Kesler is Bestler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,078
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstop40 View Post
He doesn't like the government and stood on the Chick-fil-a owners side of that whole debacle, so now everyone hates him because his political opinion is different from theirs....
I hate him because of that .gif posted above . Couldn't care less about the rest of his shenanigans.

Kesler is Bestler is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 02:57 AM
  #19
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward
 
Do Make Say Think's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16,946
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstop40 View Post
He doesn't like the government and stood on the Chick-fil-a owners side of that whole debacle, so now everyone hates him because his political opinion is different from theirs....
I don't think anybody here HATES him. We just lost respect for him because it turns out that he's crazy and a jerk.

Do Make Say Think is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 02:58 AM
  #20
Puckstop40
Registered Avs Fan
 
Puckstop40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler is Bestler View Post
I hate him because of that .gif posted above . Couldn't care less about the rest of his shenanigans.
You guys have every reason to hate him

Puckstop40 is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 03:00 AM
  #21
PAZ
.
 
PAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,473
vCash: 50
I personally just think Thomas speaks his mind, theres no filter on what he says.

Sure he said some words, but that really isn't that bad. I personally would put something like Brodeur cheating on his wife way higher than this, but not many people hate him (FYI not bashing Brodeur, just using it as an example)

PAZ is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 05:01 AM
  #22
JuniorNelson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E.Vancouver
Country: Australia-Aboriginal
Posts: 4,699
vCash: 50
Tim Thomas spoke out in support of the traditional family and conventional standard of marriage. He did not condemn anyone or thier definition of the same social contract. He just said he supported marriage and family without looking at the author of the statement. In this case, the author was a cultist (Baptist) dedicated to stopping Gay marriage.

Dumb move. Plus, he can't really back away from it. Hahahaha! Dumb move from a dumbass but try to remember, he's a goalie.

Letting a dumb thing he said grow into a situation where he takes one of his two remaining years off is certainly the act of an idiot. I do not fully believe this is what he intended. I think he was probably trying to divorce himself from the Bruins.

If there is a season, I am expecting Thomas to play, probably in Boston. His silly antics will be forgotten because he is one of the best goalies in hockey. that's rare. How rare? Hasek might have gotten a contract if there was a season and he is forty seven!

All Thomas did was make it difficult for Burke to trade for him. That amounts to nothing, as it is difficult to do a trade with Boston, anyway, especially if you are Burke.

JuniorNelson is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 08:07 AM
  #23
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,030
vCash: 500
Absolutely not a smart move. It simply means he could have had his year off like he wanted but without looking like a dick.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 08:13 AM
  #24
nmbr_24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,477
vCash: 500
I think he would have been traded before the season started and he didn't want to be traded somewhere he didn't want to go so he decided to just say he was taking the year off. He said something about the Olympics, but there is no way they are going to choose Thomas who won't have played in at least a year over Quick, Miller, etc.

Smart move? I don't think so, I think it just worked out where it doesn't matter what he did so far.

nmbr_24 is offline  
Old
12-15-2012, 09:19 AM
  #25
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,501
vCash: 500
I guess in a way it was. Let's face it, there is less and less likely of a chance for a season everyday. His political comments supporting Chick-Fil-A's stance? No big deal and not anything that half of America (according to polls) doesn't believe in already. Thomas' opinion is hardly unusual. I'm not a big fan of sports and politics mixing to begin with. It isn't a good mix because sports is sort of the escape from reality that we love. Hasek made a little bit of a speech when he won the Vezina up on the stage at the NHL awards in 1999. This was shortly after the Columbine shootings and he urged people to support a nation for our children without guns. He was genuine about it and I was fine with it, but sports and politics like I said aren't the best mix.

As for people hating Thomas, is it just me or is it a lot of Canucks fans? hehe, I guess I don't blame them, but count me in as a guy who loves Thomas if only for the reason that he shut up the Vancouver fan base and the fact that he exposed the entire city of Vancouver of being hooligans - yet again - after a Stanley Cup loss.

Big Phil is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.