HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

So did Tim Thomas make a smart move?

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2012, 10:22 PM
illpucks

vCash: 500
So did Tim Thomas make a smart move?

He was catching a lot of criticism here when he decided to take a year off. But now that everyone is taking a year off (so far) would you say that he made a smart move?

Old
12-14-2012, 10:26 PM
RogerRoeper*

It's not a "Smart Move", but it is one that means nothing right now.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:27 PM
HavlatMach9

From his point of view, whether a season is played or not is irrelevant. He is doing what he was going to do taking the year off.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by illpucks View Post
He was catching a lot of criticism here when he decided to take a year off. But now that everyone is taking a year off (so far) would you say that he made a smart move?
Lets put our thinking caps on for a bit.

If he kept his mouth shut, he would have had a year off and everyone would still love him.

But instead he blabbed and got everyone to hate him.

Now, was it a smart move or not?

Old
12-14-2012, 10:35 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Lets put our thinking caps on for a bit.

If he kept his mouth shut, he would have had a year off and everyone would still love him.

But instead he blabbed and got everyone to hate him.

Now, was it a smart move or not?
His political comments have more to do with people hating jim imo.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:37 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Thomas = lockout
Puck = Thomas
Sedin = the hopes and dreams of NHL fans everywhere

Old
12-14-2012, 10:46 PM
OneSharpMarble

He could have just kept his mouth shut and still not played. Now people just think he's an idiot/headcase.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:48 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

He can predict the future

Old
12-14-2012, 10:56 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
His political comments have more to do with people hating jim imo.
The perception that he screwed his team with the over 35 contract that stayed on the books capwise no matter what played a pretty big part in establishing him as a ******

Old
12-14-2012, 10:59 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by illpucks View Post
No.. it's not a smart move since it made no difference. He was planning on taking a year off, even if there's no lockout. That's not a smart move.

12-14-2012, 11:03 PM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

If he was smart he would have slipped on the ice and injured himself, then he'd still be getting paid.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:14 PM
skywarp75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
The perception that he screwed his team with the over 35 contract that stayed on the books capwise no matter what played a pretty big part in establishing him as a ******
yes I see this as selfishly and purposely hurting his teammates. I dont know how he could even face any of them after that. and yes I know he's a stanley cup hero.

Old
12-14-2012, 11:37 PM
Nose Face Killah
It's Tuukka Time

What exactly did Thomas say?

Old
12-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Honestly I can see him not coming back at all, and retiring for good. Not saying it will happen, but it's something that wouldn't surprise me.

Old
12-15-2012, 02:28 AM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

He helped the Bruins.

Now the team can move the best goalie in franchise history with no fan backlash. ANd Rask, Khudobin, and Svedberg is a ton of competition in the crease there really isn't much room for Tim deserved or not.

He probably made one comment too many though (chik fil a) for his trade value to be nice and high when we come back.

Old
12-15-2012, 02:29 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
I don't know

Obama won did he not?

Old
12-15-2012, 02:35 AM
Puckstop40
Registered Avs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJD View Post
What exactly did Thomas say?
He doesn't like the government and stood on the Chick-fil-a owners side of that whole debacle, so now everyone hates him because his political opinion is different from theirs....

Old
12-15-2012, 02:49 AM
Kesler is Bestler

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstop40 View Post
He doesn't like the government and stood on the Chick-fil-a owners side of that whole debacle, so now everyone hates him because his political opinion is different from theirs....
I hate him because of that .gif posted above . Couldn't care less about the rest of his shenanigans.

Old
12-15-2012, 02:57 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstop40 View Post
I don't think anybody here HATES him. We just lost respect for him because it turns out that he's crazy and a jerk.

Old
12-15-2012, 02:58 AM
Puckstop40
Registered Avs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler is Bestler View Post
I hate him because of that .gif posted above . Couldn't care less about the rest of his shenanigans.
You guys have every reason to hate him

Old
12-15-2012, 03:00 AM
PAZ

I personally just think Thomas speaks his mind, theres no filter on what he says.

Sure he said some words, but that really isn't that bad. I personally would put something like Brodeur cheating on his wife way higher than this, but not many people hate him (FYI not bashing Brodeur, just using it as an example)

Old
12-15-2012, 05:01 AM
JuniorNelson

Tim Thomas spoke out in support of the traditional family and conventional standard of marriage. He did not condemn anyone or thier definition of the same social contract. He just said he supported marriage and family without looking at the author of the statement. In this case, the author was a cultist (Baptist) dedicated to stopping Gay marriage.

Dumb move. Plus, he can't really back away from it. Hahahaha! Dumb move from a dumbass but try to remember, he's a goalie.

Letting a dumb thing he said grow into a situation where he takes one of his two remaining years off is certainly the act of an idiot. I do not fully believe this is what he intended. I think he was probably trying to divorce himself from the Bruins.

If there is a season, I am expecting Thomas to play, probably in Boston. His silly antics will be forgotten because he is one of the best goalies in hockey. that's rare. How rare? Hasek might have gotten a contract if there was a season and he is forty seven!

All Thomas did was make it difficult for Burke to trade for him. That amounts to nothing, as it is difficult to do a trade with Boston, anyway, especially if you are Burke.

Old
12-15-2012, 08:07 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Absolutely not a smart move. It simply means he could have had his year off like he wanted but without looking like a dick.

Old
12-15-2012, 08:13 AM
nmbr_24

I think he would have been traded before the season started and he didn't want to be traded somewhere he didn't want to go so he decided to just say he was taking the year off. He said something about the Olympics, but there is no way they are going to choose Thomas who won't have played in at least a year over Quick, Miller, etc.

Smart move? I don't think so, I think it just worked out where it doesn't matter what he did so far.

Old
12-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Big Phil

I guess in a way it was. Let's face it, there is less and less likely of a chance for a season everyday. His political comments supporting Chick-Fil-A's stance? No big deal and not anything that half of America (according to polls) doesn't believe in already. Thomas' opinion is hardly unusual. I'm not a big fan of sports and politics mixing to begin with. It isn't a good mix because sports is sort of the escape from reality that we love. Hasek made a little bit of a speech when he won the Vezina up on the stage at the NHL awards in 1999. This was shortly after the Columbine shootings and he urged people to support a nation for our children without guns. He was genuine about it and I was fine with it, but sports and politics like I said aren't the best mix.

As for people hating Thomas, is it just me or is it a lot of Canucks fans? hehe, I guess I don't blame them, but count me in as a guy who loves Thomas if only for the reason that he shut up the Vancouver fan base and the fact that he exposed the entire city of Vancouver of being hooligans - yet again - after a Stanley Cup loss.

Closed Thread