HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part VIIII: "We're Close" "We're Not Close" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2012, 01:58 PM
ltrangerfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah it's not up to the league to decide how relevant or important disclaiming is, it will be up to the judges who handle the lawsuits brought against the league

They will have to or they will be on the hook for huge amounts of money owed to the players, etc.

No pro sports league in the US wants to see something like this actually go to court
If the players file. I would assume that they are hoping to put the onus on the league to settle.

I would prefer the owners persue the case to a court settlement.

Sometimes, a league needs to go the route they might not wish to go but a route they need to go.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Thank you.

I know the NBAPA did this last year. After they filed their disclaimer, did the NBA really get pressured to maybe loosen up on some issues? That's the purpose, not actual anti-trust lawsuits, right?
By filing, the players would be saying that they are willing to give up the season "Die on the hill so to speak". That might motivate Bettman. I think the league has felt all along that Fehr is waiting until the last moment to squeeze everything he can out of the league.

By filing, he would in effect be saying "We are willing to lose the whole season" which could motivate the owners .

Old
12-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl

NHLPA Executive Board voted last night,to give players a vote to AUTHORIZE Exec Board to chose to proceed on Disclaimer of Interest #TSN
Interesting that they are allowing players to vote on this but never gave them an option to vote on the last CBA. If I were a player (even the most radical pro Union player) I would ask to see the last proposal form the owners so I can weigh my choices before I vote to Decertify.
Regardless of who is right or wrong the degree to which the players are glorified sheep amazes me.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:03 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
By filing, the players would be saying that they are willing to give up the season "Die on the hill so to speak". That might motivate Bettman. I think the league has felt all along that Fehr is waiting until the last moment to squeeze everything he can out of the league.

By filing, he would in effect be saying "We are willing to lose the whole season" which could motivate the owners .
So far all I have seen is a threat. No concrete action announced.

Let's see how this moves negotiation.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:04 PM
alkurtz

I'll come back to my main point: everywhere that hockey has planted itself in non-traditional markets, there is youth hockey and diehard fans. It is a process that over time will lead to success. Patience is needed, and as much as I detest him, I give Bettman kudos for patience in most of these markets.

The point is that even though hockey has some built in limiting factors (expense to play, availability of ice time, 30% of the US population is African-American, Asian-American, and Latino/Hispanic American with little cultural background and history in the sport) it can succeed and would succeed if conditions are right. The long view is needed here.

Nobody is saying it will ever reach the big 3 in popularity but any chance it has of growing has been repeatedly compromised by these lockouts. Its going to be a long haul to get it back. When and if it returns, the NHL teams will be reduced to their hard core fans. All the casual fans will be gone. All the casual fans will tune out the next Winter Classic if there is an alternative, such as BCS playoff games in a few years.

I've spent time in Nashville, Columbus, Phoenix, and Florida. I've been in North Carolina many, many times. I can see no reason why teams there cannot succeed. They might be the number 4 sports there but they can be a strong number 4.

But any chance of that happening is being, sadly and tragically lost. What worries me is that the chance might not come around again for a very long time.

There has been a buzz about the NHL for the last few years and the sport was on an upswing. The upswing is now a fatal dive. We can argue about whose fault it is all we want (I back the players 100%), but the damage to this sport is what hurts even more than not being able to watch Nash, Richards, and Henrik this year.

Old
12-14-2012, 02:05 PM
mschmidt64

If they file that, the league's response probably tells us whether there is hockey this year.

If they shrug their shoulders and say "Do your worst," then it looks like season over.

If a deal gets done right away, then, well... good.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

"@DarrenDreger: NHL responds to NHLPA news today by filing complaint with NLRB claiming PA has engaged in bad faith bargaining. Another fight begins..."

Old
12-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
"@DarrenDreger: NHL responds to NHLPA news today by filing complaint with NLRB claiming PA has engaged in bad faith bargaining. Another fight begins..."
Groundhog day I tell ya. . . . .

Old
12-14-2012, 05:00 PM
UlfNilsson

I'm sure the NHL's response to the threat of decertification was concocted several months ago.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:05 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlfNilsson View Post
I'm sure the NHL's response to the threat of decertification was concocted several months ago.
Everything the NHL has done so far was planned out months ago. The NHL has the advantage in that they are now the third league to face the decertification threat. Their counsel has had time to plan for this event.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Groundhog Day is a great movie!

Groundhog Day in this lockout however is not.

Old
12-14-2012, 06:07 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

https://twitter.com/reporterchris

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
Other players named in NHL complaint who aren't on NHLPA negotiating committee: Michael Del Zotto, Mark Eaton and Ryan McDonagh.

The NHL complaint also names #NYR draft pick Cristoval Nieves and #sens draft pick Shane Prince. Thoughts, @mc79hockey?

The NHL complaint says league has provided more than 200,000 pages of financial information to the NHLPA during bargaining.

Ryan Miller's comments to @mirtle are cited in the NHL complaint.

from the main board
what?

Old
12-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
This whole time Boo Nieves was responsible for the lockout. I knew it.

Old
12-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
This whole time Boo Nieves was responsible for the lockout. I knew it.
lmao maybe its cause people call him Boo and he got scared...but seriously one thing i dont like is that what gives him the right to have his nickname in his name? Boo is not his real name, unless he is being called by his middle name.. why not just call him by his first name. its not like they are gonna call every hockey player by their nickname.. its like saying Cally Callahan instead of calling him Ryan.

Old
12-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Exactly. Does Boo care about anything? We now know he doesn't give a damn about collective bargaining or the dignity of a proper first name.

Old
12-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

I know DZ has said something about the owners on Twitter.

But McD and Nieves did nothing. I'm confused.

Just checked McD's twitter. Literally nothing About the lockout from September to now.

Last edited by Rangers Fail: 12-14-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old
12-14-2012, 07:01 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
I know DZ has said something about the owners on Twitter.

But McD and Nieves did nothing. I'm confused.

Just checked McD's twitter. Literally nothing About the lockout from September to now.
Doesn't have to be twitter. Clarification is that those players at some point put something out about the players decertifying. It could have been written in an article, something reported as being said by the media, or anything they made public about it. Those players, and anyone in the bargaining sessions, will be on the suit.

At this point, the players have nothing if it is deemed a legal lockout. They would have lost all leverage. The league could hold them out until they cave. Players thought they had the ace in the hole, all while the owners were ready to one-up them.

There are two ways this will go. It will end quickly or the season and maybe next season come into jeopardy.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:02 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

McD and MDZ are locker room cancers. Despicable that they would force this lockout for their own selfish needs.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
McD and MDZ are locker room cancers. Despicable that they would force this lockout for their own selfish needs.
Freakin Boo Nieves, man. Never trust a guy who likes being called Boo.

Seriously though, people on the main boards have told me that all the players either play for NY based teams, or are from NY. The league filed the complaints in NY. Although I still don't see why it matters what state they're from.

Imagine Glen with no salary cap and 700 free agents.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Rangers79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
sarcasm...?

Old
12-14-2012, 07:09 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Freakin Boo Nieves, man. Never trust a guy who likes being called Boo.

Seriously though, people on the main boards have told me that all the players either play for NY based teams, or are from NY. The league filed the complaints in NY. Although I still don't see why it matters what state they're from.

Imagine Glen with no salary cap and 700 free agents.
I am no lawyer, but I would guess that it is because labor laws can vary state to state. It was already mentioned that the NHL wants to file in NY (apparently they feel NY courts will be more favorable to ownership?), so naming all NY players in the suit will allow the case to fall under NY jurisdiction.

Basically, their argument is that the decertification is a bargaining tactic and not a true decertification. I know Del Zotto, in particular has tweeted pro-Fehr comments. The NHL is trying to use those comments to show that the PA is really behind Fehr and that decertification is a leverage stunt.

Again, I am not a lawyer. Please correct me if I'm way off here...

12-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

NBA did this last year:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...rs-union_n.htm

Old
12-14-2012, 07:13 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
And I believe a deal was struck a week or so later if I'm not mistaken.

12-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
And I believe a deal was struck a week or so later if I'm not mistaken.
that is true from what I have heard from NHL Network Radio. However, the NHL has had time to see what has happened with the nba and nfl, so instead of the PA filing the suit first with the courts the NHL (owners) did filed a suit to combat the one the PA would be filing, which can put the owners in the driving seat of this and hurt the leverage the PA may have gotten from this direction, but only time will tell.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:43 PM
CH2

The NHL's suit is moronic. They're risking a lot considering that there's a bunch of owners who have been left out of negotiations. It will be really easy for a few owners to cross over and support the players argument that the owner's bargaining is in "bad-faith".

Closed Thread